Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Why I think EPL's Bottom teams are better than La Liga's Bottom teams
KTBFFHSWE 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

So many statements thrown around. Everyone got an opinion. But what do we base them on? Tiki speaks with emotions, Sun is the PC principal in southpark, myself base it on subjective preferences. Others have entirely different definitions on how to make a comparison of let's say La Liga and EPL.

So hear me out. Bottom-up. That's the way everything should be govern, and the way we start this analysis.

The revenue in EPL for 2014-15 is 4070m euros in comparison to La Ligas 2053m euros. The average club income is £155m for EPL in comparison to £77.5m for La Liga. And we all know which teams generate and receive most of that money. Luckily enough at least the tv rights will change with a new legislation that was passed at the end of April which will come into play start from 2016 season where La Liga will sell its TV rights collectively for all clubs and the income will be shared equally between clubs. Unlike the current system where clubs sell their rights independently causing massive difference income of top 2 and the rest of the clubs in spanish top flight.

However, In comparison EPL are miles ahead in this game with over £5 billion just from domestic rights sale and premier league are expecting another £3 billion from oversees rights which means starting from 2016-17 season bottom premier league club will earn around £100 million in tv rights money and thats way more than champions of the top leagues around europe.

So, that's the money part. But we all know that EPL clubs pay way more than most other clubs for similar talents right? Okay. Let's check the VALUE of the clubs i.e. the collected perceived value of the clubs and not the transfer sums. Beginning from the bottom up (according to transfermarkt - the most reliable source for this measure).

La Liga £ EPL £
Osasuna 23.2m Swansea 94.9m
Granada 51.5m Hull 72.5m
Sporting Gijon 38.9m Sunderland 84.86m
Valencia 173.5m West Ham 209.1m
Deportivo 56.6m Leicester 183.2m
Leganes 28.4m Burnley 58.7m
Real Betis 58.6m Crystal Palace 136.6m
Alaves 39.7m Middlesbrough 87.3m
Espanyol 58.4m Southampton 174.3m
malaga 58.8m Watford 110.5m
Las Palmas 45.9m Bournemouth 103.5m
Celta 92.0m Stoke 145.5m
Eibar 44.8m Everton 211.0m
Athletic Bilbao 122.1m West Bromwich 94.1m
Real Sociedad 96.0m Manchester United 466.0m
Villarreal 147.2m Tottenham 318.8m
Atletico Madrid 432.7m Manchester City 445.6m
Sevilla 185.9m Liverpool 322.8m
Barcelona 649.8m Arsenal 416.8m
Real Madrid 659.4m Chelsea 444.0m

See a pattern? Obviously excluding the odd ones. Because money does not explain everything (Chelsea last season - Valencia this..), but the pattern is clear as day. The richer the clubs are the better players they can attract. In fact EPL pays higher wages than La Liga and Serie A combined with a weekly average of £43,717 to La Liga's £23,327 a week.

That's only money you say? Nopp. It's value, incentives AND money.

Now, to an older thread I created (and didn't finish before the transfer deadline) about the netto transfers. Is EPL a team that buys players or sells players? And the same for La Liga etc. You be the judge.

EPL

Arsenal In: 37.5 Out: 0 Net: -37.5
Bournemouth: In: 27.5 Out: 17.9 Net: -9.6
Burnely: In: 2.5 Out: 0 Net: -2.5
Chelsea: In: 65 Out: 12 net: -53
Crystal Palace: In: 23 Out: 9 net: -14
Everton: In 7.2 Out: 48 Net: + 40.8
Hull: In 4.5 Out: 0 Net: -4.5
Leicester: In: 35.1 Out: 39.5 Net: +4.4
Liverpool: In: 63.9 Out: 36 Net: -27.9
United: In: 123.2 Out: 0 Net; -123.2
City: In: 118 Out: 4.1 Net: -113.9
Middlesbrough: In: 18.8 Out: 0 Net: -18.8
Southampton: In: 22.8 Out: 56.7 Net: +33.9
Stoke: In: 18 Out: 0 Net -18
Sunderland: In: 8 Out: 0.7 Net -7.3
Swansea: In 2 Out: 27.9 Net: + 25.9
Spurs: In 29.5 Out: 8 Net: -21.5
Watford: In: 16.2 Out: 8.5 Net: -7.7
West B: In: 6 Out: 0 Net: -6
West Ham: In: 22.4 Out: 10 Net: -12.4

Total Net:-372.8m pounds Total revenue: 929,4m pounds

1.17 conversion rate to euros. Total Net: -436.2m€ Total revenue: 1087,4m€

**La Liga***

Alaves: In 0.55 Out: 0 Net: -0.55
Atletico: In: 79.5 Out: 9 Net: -70.5
Bilbao In: 0 Out: 0 Net: 0
Barcelona: In: 83.3 Out: 13.6 Net: -69.7
Celta: In: 7 Out: 13.5 Net: +6.5
Deportivo: In: 5.6 Out: 0 Net: -5.6
Eibar: In: 3.1 Out: 5 Net: +1.9
Espanyol: In: 9 Out: 0 Net: -9
Granada: In: 0 Out: 25.2 Net: +25.2
Las Palmas: In: 1.8 Out: 0 Net: +1.8
Leganes: In: 1 Out: 0 Net: -1
Malaga: In: 10.3 Out: 0 Net: -10.3
Osasuna: In: 0 Out: 3.8 Net: -3.8
Real Madrid: In: 27 Out: 37.5 Net: +10.5
Real Sociedad: In: 10.7 Out: 9.6 Net: -1.1
Real Betis: In: 15 Out: 8 Net: -7
Sevilla: In: 47.5 Out: 71 Net: +22.5
Sporting: In: 0.6 Out: 0 Net: -0.6
Valencia: In: 10 Out: 41.5 Net: +31.5
Villareal: In: 42 Out: 12.3 Net: -29.7

Total net: -108.95m€ Total revenue: 603,95m€

Now please compare the transfers for teams at the bottom side of the table in EPL and La Liga.

So, for your statements to be true, La Liga must have endlessly better scouts, youth systems and academies given that their resources are not nearly as big as EPL's. And I don't think they are. However, I do believe that Spain produce much better domestically products because of a better football climate and because of the corrupt FA. EPL has 66.4% foreign players while La Liga has 41.6%. I hold it for true that EPL buy a lot of good Spanish players. That's not what this is about though.

Do you need any other proof that EPL bottom teams are better than La Ligas? Just look at a game between them and a top team in the league. Look how they week in and out beat the top teams. Look how none of the matches in EPL are certain in advance. Where you surprised that Pool got beat the other day? I certainly wasn't. And before you watch the game have a look on the odds given from the pundits. Any 1.06 odds in EPL? Nopp.

enter image description here
Sources:
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/
http://www.totalsportek.com/money/tottenham-player-salaries/
https://www.rt.com/sport/345182-premier-league-wages-report/
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/european-big-four-leagues-goals-3513388
https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/study-reveals-premier-league-highest-155522255.html

Comments
_Gonzi_ 6 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

your teams are all from these leagues, so you're biased. la liga>epl, the FOOTBALL is better, money is secondary

tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Odds of Mancity home Vs bottom teams is < 1.10, your argument KTBFFHSWE of odds proving that teams are shit is completely outdated we can say destroyed. You aren’t bragging about odds anymore because if you apply your argument you would treat Cardiff like a farmer club :)

JozeV2 6 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Greece 6 214

@tiki Without doing any research this just happened lately with ManCity/Liverpool [Not every game] and a bit with Chelsea the last month at least in my country.

So you obviously took a information cut the part that suited you the most to back up your argument and started to provoke yet again.

You did not mention that Cardiff is having a terrible run and has ONLY 5 points and the table from the bottom is
-17/18 Cardiff/Fullham 5 points
-19/20 Huddersfield 3 points

Against the defending champions Manchester City that are still yet unbeaten.

If you had a little bit of interest to actually make a point you could point out that some EPL club especially the newly promoted ones haven't lived up to the expectation according to our sayings[Chelsea FR fans], unlike lets say Girona that is marching strong. But no you singled out just one information with provoking intentions that you thought made you look smart but instead you just made yourself look like a JR Smith in game 1 :).

See? I gave a better argument than your last 5 posts in this matter.

@Gonzi Explain us why please, or please bother to show us, unless you do that I will simply keep treating you like a highlights troll. I mean please ENLIGHTEN us with your football knowledge, us the EPL peasants.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@tiki Without doing any research this just happened lately with ManCity/Liverpool [Not every game] and a bit with Chelsea the last month at least in my country.

So you obviously took a information cut the part that suited you the most to back up your argument and started to provoke yet again.

You did not mention that Cardiff is having a terrible run and has ONLY 5 points and the table from the bottom is
-17/18 Cardiff/Fullham 5 points
-19/20 Huddersfield 3 points

Against the defending champions Manchester City that are still yet unbeaten.

If you had a little bit of interest to actually make a point you could point out that some BPL club especially the newly promoted ones haven't lived up to the expectation according to our sayings[Chelsea FR fans], unlike lets say Girona that is marching strong. But no you singled out just one information with provoking intentions that you thought made you look smart but instead you just made yourself look like a JR Smith in game 1 :).

See? I gave a better argument than your last 5 posts in this matter.

_Gonzi_ 6 years ago

simple really kid, i'd rather watch a la liga game than an epl game, it's a different style, and the style i prefer is the former. you have now been enlightened peasant, on you go.

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

As I've said, it completely depends on the teams we are comparing. La Liga sides are good, others are crap. Same could be said for PL. If we were to go from last season's standings, this is what I would go with, or something along the lines of this. I get this has a lot of flaws, but this is where they have finished. The internal issues can be discussed but I won't do that for now.

Palace > Espanyol
Bournemouth < Celta Vigo
West Ham =? Sociedad
Watford > Alaves
Brighton > Levante
Huddersfield < Bilbao
Southampton > Leganes
Wolves > Vallecano
Cardiff < Huesca
Fulham > Valladoid

That's 6 3 to PL, but this is from my perspective. You guys have might a different opinion.

_Gonzi_ 6 years ago

come on now, real sociedad is better than west ham. alaves and watford are a tie, they both seem on the rise. fulham>valladoid, this one is just plain dumb...fulham is trash, without mitrovic they'd be in the shitter

tiki_taka 6 years ago

LMAO Leganes took 3 pts from Bernabeu and drew to Barca. Southampton ?

JozeV2 6 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 6 214

@Gonzi Why do I bother? You just repeated my words of new promoted teams just by adding Mitrovic for Fullham, you clearly have issues communicating with other people and also to call me a kid?

@tiki Again out of topic.

Crystal Palace made 3-3 comeback from 3-0 to deny Liverpool league title.
I can give 20000 examples of such scorelines in the last 5 years only in the EPL, doubt it you have so many in La Liga with Real and Barca.

So are you gonna wait 2 years for Leganes to post again 1 sentence with LMAO and irony inside it or you are gonna post a wall of text with irrelevant arguments?

Is your lack of height the source of such poison and immaturity in your posts or your addiction with EPL and its fans?

tiki_taka 6 years ago

^Was talking to Amir, not you.

tuan_jinn 6 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

@Amir: yeah I think that's persepective.

I watch both quite a lot and If I must here is what I judge them base on (for lower mid to bottom teams):

• Technical ability (dribble, holding mid with technical ability, ability of defenders to make long, short accurate passes): La Liga > EPL
  • Physical ability: EPL > La Liga
  • Style ( = just preference)
  • Easy error, or unforce error: La Liga > EPL (makes less stupid headless chicken errors, or just run run run)
  • Excitement ( = just preference, but I do think EPL teams atmotsphere are always better)

Based on that:
Palace << Espanyol
Bournemouth < Celta Vigo
West Ham < Sociedad
Watford > Alaves
Brighton = Levante
Huddersfield <<< Bilbao
Southampton >= Leganes
Wolves > Vallecano
Cardiff < Huesca
Fulham << Valladoid

And that's La Liga 6 - 3 EPL

Not to mention the <<< means A LOT BETTER

• History

I watch both quite a lot and If I must here is what I judge them base on (for lower mid to bottom teams):

• Technical ability (dribble, holding mid with technical ability, ability of defenders to make long, short accurate passes): La Liga > EPL
  • Easy error, or unforce error: La Liga > EPL (makes less stupid headless chicken errors)
  • Excitement ( = just preference, but I do think EPL teams atmotsphere are always better)

Based on that:
Palace << Espanyol
Bournemouth < Celta Vigo
West Ham < Sociedad
Watford > Alaves
Brighton = Levante
Huddersfield <<< Bilbao
Southampton >= Leganes
Wolves > Vallecano
Cardiff < Huesca
Fulham << Valladoid

• Easy error, or unforce error: La Liga > EPL (makes less stupid headless chicken errors)

Based on that:
Palace << Espanyol
Bournemouth < Celta Vigo
West Ham < Sociedad
Watford > Alaves
Brighton = Levante
Huddersfield <<< Bilbao
Southampton >= Leganes
Wolves > Vallecano
Cardiff < Huesca
Fulham << Valladoid

amir_keal 6 years ago Edited

Gonzi

Well, I see your points with the West Ham and Sociedad, and to a certain extent the Alaves Watford, but I can't see how Valladoid are better than Fulham. Now, I haven't watched that much Valladoid since they've been promoted, and I agree that currently, Mitrovic is the main person for Fulham, but that won't be the case when the manager gets sacked (soon to happen IMO). We will see the true Fulham when that happens. The result when they lost Arsenal might have been 5 1, but that does not reflect the true nature of the game because there were moments when they looked a threat. Before Ronaldo came to Valladoid, they weren't good, but now they kinda have some points to prove. Fulham do also have some big names, Schurrle was really good, now not as good but I think he is better than Villa/Unal. Seri was wanted by Barcelona at one stage, Mitrovic has already been mentioned, and Chambers is really solid with a reliable person next to him.

To put it this way, if we were to combine the teams, I think Fulham would end up having more players.

tiki_taka

Care to explain? I also remember Southampton taking points off Arsenal/United/Tottenham

• History

Gonzi

Well, I see your points with the West Ham and Sociedad, and to a certain extent the Alaves Watford, but I can't see how Valladoid are better than Fulham. Now, I haven't watched that much Valladoid since they've been promoted, and I agree that currently, Mitrovic is the main person for Fulham, but that won't be the case when the manager gets sacked (soon to happen IMO). We will see the true Fulham when that happens. The result when they lost Arsenal might have been 5 1, but that does not reflect the true nature of the game because there were moments when they looked a threat. Before Ronaldo came to Valladoid, they weren't good, but now they kinda have some points to prove. Fulham do also have some big names, Schurrle was really good, now not as good but I think he is better than Villa/Unal. Seri was wanted by Barcelona at one stage, Mitrovic has already been mentioned, and Chambers is really solid with a reliable person next to him.

To put it this way, if we were to combine the teams, I think Fulham would end up having more players.

tiki_taka

Care to explain? I also remember Southampton taking points off Arsenal/United/Tottenham

tiki_taka 6 years ago

Well Amir ATM the 3 teams you listed had more in common with Sevilla and Valencia rather than Barca/Real. Southampton taking pts from the 3 you listed does not sound as strong as an argument. Crystal palace just took miraculous point from Arsenal, doesn’t make them lethal.

_Gonzi_ 6 years ago Edited

@amir_keal

maybe it's because i expected a lot more from fulham, they did really good business in the summer bringing in vietto and schurrle. mitrovic is very good, and if i remember correctly theres been a couple goals involving vietto and mitrovic, there's some chemistry there. i want them to do well, but valladoid are doing much better this season.

i reeaalllyyy enjoy watching watford play. so smooth, that pereyra goal was fire. if they give their all, they could break into the top 4.

• History

maybe it's because i expected a lot more from fulham, they did really good business in the summer bringing in vietto and schurrle. mitrovic is very good, and if i remember correctly theres been a couple goals involving vietto and mitrovic, there's some chemistry there. i want them to do well, but valladoid are doing much better this season.

i reeaalllyyy enjoy watching watford play. so smooth, that pereyra goal was fire. if they give their all, they could break into the top 4.

amir_keal 6 years ago

tiki_taka

Well, firstly it was Levante that recently took 3 points off Real Madrid, not Leganes, unless you are talking about the Copa Del Ray. Real Madrid were weak at the start of last season. Tottenham (one team I mentioned) finished above them in the CL group phase. And they aren't doing good results wise at all. They play pretty good but they're only sources of points came from Valverde experiments and Pique mistakes, a win over an even weaker Vallecano and 2 decent points against Sociedad and Valencia (who basically draw every game nowadays).

Then again, Southampton aren't that good either, and I don't rate Mark Hughes one bit, but I don't think Pellegrino is that much better. That being said, if they were to come up against each other, I do think Southampton would win.

tuan_jinn

I can see most of your points, it makes sense. I already discussed the Fulham Valladoid one, but I will ask about how Espanyol are a lot better than Palace. I think they have a lot of quality players but I don't think the likes of Hernan Perez are better than Wilfred Zaha.

Gonzi

I even forgot to mention Vietto lol. I don't think he's getting a lot of gametime though, but to be honest there isn't a set 11, which is never good. They have played like 3 different goalkeepers.

As to Watford, I feel that might make a challenge, but they need to be make sure that they get maximum points, even when they don't play well. Played very good against Arsenal and Fulham and quite decent against United. They dropped 8 points, which would put them in 1st. Now idk what happened against Bournemouth, I guess it was their off day, but if they don't drop cheap points they could certainly make it. The same could be said for Alaves, top 4 for them is very possible as well.

tiki_taka 6 years ago

Amir Actually they won Vs Barca not Madrid, mistakes or not PL clubs are more prone to tactical mistakes than la ligas so same thing could be applied to your argument.
Well you cannot compare 2 clubs by comparing 2 players, completely pointless. Even a squad or a line up doesn’t give you much information. Chemistry and tactical ability of the squad as a whole is very very important in modern football. I don’t care if Palace got Zaha or Lewandowski, if they play that horrendous football as a team. And this is mainly PL clubs problem.
The perfect example is Fulham, millions invested, make amator leagues mistakes...

amir_keal 5 years ago

PL clubs are more prone to tactical mistakes than la ligas so same thing could be applied to your argument.

La Liga sides are more technical I agree, and are likely to make less mistakes, but in a professional game of football, it is not often you see big mistakes happening that lead to a direct goal. I mean they might happen, but Barcelona are meant to be one of the best teams at avoid mistakes, it happens. Anyways that mistake is the reason why Leganes are not lower in the table. Yes they play decent football, but from their games I think they need a link between attack and midfield, and maybe stronger defense.

Well you cannot compare 2 clubs by comparing 2 players, completely pointless. Even a squad or a line up doesn’t give you much information. Chemistry and tactical ability of the squad as a whole is very very important in modern football. I don’t care if Palace got Zaha or Lewandowski, if they play that horrendous football as a team.

Actually the most important thing in football is the team. They need chemistry and the manager to be tactical, but ultimately it is down to the 11 players on the pitch to make a difference. Formation helps, rotation helps, motavation helps but if the team is one game away from a trophy they will perform for their lives. There is a reason why Real Madrid have reached the semi final 8 years in a row, and won the competition 4 times in 5 years, because they got the best team. In those 8 years they had Mourinho, Carlo, Rafa and Zidane. The way I'm judging this is if Espanyol/Palace were to have a 1 game match, who would you think would win?

Arsenal were a LOL team, but beat almighty Conte's team in an FA cup final.

And this is mainly PL clubs problem.

Agreed, when a manager makes a signing for his project, gets sacked and then a new person comes and discards that player, you get into a viscous cycle. La Liga sides certainly have more stability.

JozeV2 5 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Greece 6 214

Actually the most important thing in football is the team. They need chemistry and the manager to be tactical, but ultimately it is down to the 11 players on the pitch to make a difference.

Pretty much sums it up.

Leicester were never a world class XI yet they won EPL. Chemistry, tactics,luck, personal ambition, sheer will and character[Brendar Rodgers] make you sucessfull in a league run.

Agreed, when a manager makes a signing for his project, gets sacked and then a new person comes and discards that player, you get into a viscous cycle. La Liga sides certainly have more stability.

Exactly...EPL teams can take bigger risks due to money, LaLiga teams have to build carefully with less risky and more studied moves. If EPL teams start to actually value their huge amount of luck that they have with money they can build great teams, teams worth of mentioning like LaLiga has Bilbao.

Look at West Ham management, terrible decisions all the way. Changed stadium and they lost their atmosphere[theres a Lampard article where he discusses how he felt playing against them], sacked Billic and poor transfers. Transfers that were mostly made to shut the mouth of fans just to show they spend and care about the team they bought.

Im surprised nobody mentioned the fact that most owners in EPL see the teams like a money make facility rather than what it is meant to be. Abramovic might be forced to do this with us which will lead to a terrible future if you ask me...

I mean Marinakis is doing the same with N. Forest he bought the club started spending to achieve the promotion then he will do the same thing he does with Olympiakos in Greece, suck every inch of money before the team or his lungs collapse from the fat. Forest will never compete but they will spend enough money to stay in the high paying EPL so Marinakis can have more money. They will never compete for something great and its the way it is, if any mafia druglord buys English teams and invests he will probably make twice the money in 2/3 years. Not everyone is lucky with owners...Chelsea, Leicester was lucky because those guys besides money they love football, do you see Arsenal all those years? West Ham? This detail makes a huge difference if you ask me.

Note : I do not downgrade the way LaLiga teams build their squads, instead I compliment it. I don't trashtalk Arsenal or West Ham fanbases but their owners and how they run the teams just to stop the fans from crying and whining by spending a small amount of money compared to what they get.

• History

Actually the most important thing in football is the team. They need chemistry and the manager to be tactical, but ultimately it is down to the 11 players on the pitch to make a difference.

Pretty much sums it up.

Leicester were never a world class XI yet they won EPL. Chemistry, tactics,luck, personal ambition, sheer will and character[Brendar Rodgers] make you sucessfull in a league run.

Exactly...EPL teams can take bigger risks due to money, LaLiga teams have to build carefully with less risky and more studied moves. If EPL teams start to actually value their huge amount of luck that they have with money they can build great teams, teams worth of mentioning like LaLiga has Bilbao.

Look at West Ham management, terrible decisions all the way. Changed stadium and they lost their atmosphere[theres a Lampard article where he discusses how he felt playing against them], sacked Billic and poor transfers. Transfers that were mostly made to shut the mouth of fans just to show they spend and care about the team they bought.

Im surprised nobody mentioned the fact that most owners in EPL see the teams like a money make facility rather than what it is meant to be. Abramovic might be forced to do this with us which will lead to a terrible future if you ask me...

Note : I do not downgrade the way LaLiga teams build their squads, instead I compliment it.