Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

World Cup 2022 Discussion Thread
Emobot7 1 year ago
538 11426

A bit late for it but here a thread to discuss whats going on in the 2022 Qatar World Cup.

What already happened as of making this thread:

• Qatar historical defeat as a WC host vs Ecuador
  • Senegal brave effort vs Netherland despite their 2-0 defeat
  • England 6-2 trashing or Iran
  • 1-1 game of two halve between USA and Wales
  • Argentina unpredictable defeat at the hand of Saudi Arabia

If you wanna discuss any of those match, or any of the upcoming games, this is the thread for it.

Comments
DarthFooty 1 year ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1094

If Canada could have played the entire match the way they played the first 20 mins or so, completely different outcome. Lots of positives to take away and I hope to see a brighter future for the program.

Spain v Germany was fun to watch. I am more surprised by Spain, to be honest as I didn't expect them to be this good already. While Germany had the better match overall, it was close and I am not sure Spain was pushing as hard as they could. Will be interesting to see how they progress. This group is wide open, just like several others.

Missed the Costa Rica match but I am glad they won. Makes the Japan upset on Germany all the more impressive, but also opens more eyes to Spain's performance against Costa Rica. Is Spain really that good right now?

For the USA v Eng match, I would love to say that USA should have won that one, and if you look at stats, outside possession, we did have the better numbers. I just don't see our putting true pressure for more quality chances when I compare to the top teams in the world. I also don't think Southgate coached that match very well.

No illusion that we are just as good as England, but we are better than many thought and ramping up well for the future.

Footy_watch 1 year ago
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1842

but also opens more eyes to Spain's performance against Costa Rica. Is Spain really that good right now?

It does not open any eyes to their 7-0 win. Costa Rica were doing the mannequin challenge in that match, any team would've thrashed them.

Japan looked like they used a lot of their energy in the Germany game.

kirsi16 1 year ago Edited
Sao Paulo, Brazil 2 96

Brazil vs Switzerland:
Lacked a bit of creativity without Neymar, relieved Dani Alves did not get on the pitch, and Fred was the weakest link. After Bruno came in, the game was more fluid, but he is also not that "stable" and loses some.
I'm happy at Brazil's capability to get the ball back as soon as possible, defense is still good.
After two rounds, I think Brazil's most important player is definitely Casemiro.
Vini's goal was unallowed correctly, despite me myself thinking this off side method is disrupting to the game. An off side arm of Richarlison can disallow the pass from Bruno to Vini. Still weird to me.
Statistically, Brazil has 13 (5) shots and Switzerland has 6 (0) and 4 saves. The defense pressure from Brazil side seems to work for now. But I don't think it might be good enough for, i.e., Spain.
We need to get better.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Brazil vs Switzerland:
Lacked a bit of creativity without Neymar, relieved Dani Alves did not get on the pitch, and Fred was the weakest link. After Bruno came in, the game was more fluid, but he is also not that "stable" and loses some.
I'm happy at Brazil's capability to get the ball back as soon as possible, defense is still good.
After two rounds, I think Brazil's most important player is definitely Casemiro.
Vini's goal was unallowed correctly, despite me myself thinking this off side method is disrupting to the game. An off side arm of Richarlison can disallow the pass from Bruno to Vini. Still weird to me.
Statistically, Brazil has 13 (5) shots and Switzerland has 6 (0) and 4 saves. The defense pressure from Brazil side seems to work for now. But I don't think it might be good enough for, i.e., Spain.
We need to get better.

_Pelle_ 1 year ago
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6871

Japan beat Germany proceeds to make five or more changes to their starting line-up. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

DarthFooty 1 year ago

I agree the Brazil match lacked some creative flair, but they still look solid from front to back. The Swiss had a good game plan, packing the middle and double-teaming out on the wings. I think if Brazil went more up-tempo and really pinged the ball around, they would have had more quality chances. Almost like they were ok with not pressing so much.

Footy_watch 1 year ago
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1842

I knew the Brasil game wouldn't be a good watch as soon as I saw Fred in the lineup. Tite deserves to be sacked just for this. Rodrygo should obviously be starting without neymar and martinelli should be getting at least 20minutes. (But I'm happy for Arsenal players to not play as we need them to win the league).

Emobot7 1 year ago
538 11426

@Footy I'm guessing Tite believed they needed to upgrade the defensive aspect of their lineup as the lack of Neymar might mean less possession and more turnover, in which case, I don't think he was completely wrong but obviously, this mean less creativity in midfield.

I guess the true problem is that in that lineup, other than Paqueta, you don't really have a lot of player who can play that advanced creative midfielder role who play behind behind the main striker.

Still, I feel like this Brazil team is doing quite well right now, 1-0 versus a very solid Switzerland team without Neymar in the group stage seem like a convincing results imho.

Portugal vs Uruguay: Betancur seemed to be the only players on his team who was actually trying something. The other were all too focused on trying some impossibly complicated pass to get something out of this game. Portugal had a very solid win there even though they aren't the most creative team out there. Bruno really got stoled a goal by Ronaldo's hair. XD

France, Portugal and Brazil all already qualified and the most convincing team as well imho.

_Pelle_ 1 year ago

Ronaldo even Siuuuu:ed that goal😂

_Pelle_ 1 year ago

btw Qatar is officially the hosting team with worst record ever…

DarthFooty 1 year ago

@Pelle Qatar might be hard to beat. 3 losses, scored 1 goal......

Emobot7 1 year ago Edited
538 11426

He sure did. XD

But lets be honest, if he doesn't try to get that ball and put pressure on the GK, that goal never happen so he deserve some credit imho.

Not all that surprising but they really proved that all that money spend on preparing for it was useless in the end. Wonder how those who were instrumental in preparing that moment feel right now.

Netherland vs Quatar: Not much to say, people didn't expect much from this game and there weren't much other than another Gakpo goal. He really good right now and I'd be surprised if someone didn't try to move for him in the winter. World Cup alway reveal some talent to the world and even if I had heard about him because of Manchester United interest, I had never seen him play. He really stole the show in that groupe and is the mean reason why Netherland top the group.

Senegal vs Ecuador: Ecuador propably played their worst game which suck because it was propably their most important. Senegal really played their heart out and by refusing to commit early on, it felt like Ecuador gave up too much control on the game, feel like a deserved win for Senegal.

England vs Wales: Logical win by England and great performance by Rashford, considering how he had slowled down in term of goals a bit before the world cup, this is pleasing to see. Surprised not to have had Harry Kane score but his position as a key passer instead of a finisher has worked relatively well for England right now. Curious to see if this keep on going.

USA vs Iran: Felt somewhat similar to Senegal vs Ecuador. I thought it was a deserved win by USA but I mostly worry about Pulisic, without carrying USA on his back, he's been a very important player for them and if he's injured, I don't see them having much of a shot in the next game, even against this somewhat dissapointing Netherland.

Edit: @Pelle Well at least they scored in their first WC participation. Not everyone can say the same. XD ... T_T

• History

He sure did. XD

But lets be honest, if he doesn't try to get that ball and put pressure on the GK, that goal never happen so he deserve some credit imho.

Not all that surprising but they really proved that all that money spend on preparing for it was useless in the end. Wonder how those who were instrumental in preparing that moment feel right now.

Netherland vs Quatar: Not much to say, people didn't expect much from this game and there weren't much other than another Gakpo goal. He really good right now and I'd be surprised if someone didn't try to move for him in the winter. World Cup alway reveal some talent to the world and even if I had heard about him because of Manchester United interest, I had never seen him play. He really stole the show in that groupe and is the mean reason why Netherland top the group.

Senegal vs Ecuador: Ecuador propably played their worst game which suck because it was propably their most important. Senegal really played their heart out and by refusing to commit early on, it felt like Ecuador gave up too much control on the game, feel like a deserved win for Senegal.

England vs Wales: Logical win by England and great performance by Rashford, considering how he had slowled down in term of goals a bit before the world cup, this is pleasing to see. Surprised not to have had Harry Kane score but his position as a key passer instead of a finisher has worked relatively well for England right now. Curious to see if this keep on going.

USA vs Iran: Felt somewhat similar to Senegal vs Ecuador. I thought it was a deserved win by USA but I mostly worry about Pulisic, without carrying USA on his back, he's been a very important player for them and if he's injured, I don't see them having much of a shot in the next game, even against this somewhat dissapointing Netherland.

Footy_watch 1 year ago
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1842

That's because they kept hosting the world cup in certain countries of the world, which defeats the purpose of it being called a world cup. No one expected Qatar to do better especially when their population is so small

Footy_watch 1 year ago
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1842

When? He ran straight to Bruno and celebrated with teammates. He was still the reason why that goal went in.

DarthFooty 1 year ago

While Bruno got official credit, it was Ronaldo who really helped that play. Without that run, that jump, the keeper would have cleaned that up easily. I appreciate that they did not just give Ronaldo the goal, but he was 100% influential in the outcome.

As for the USA vs Holland, I am calling for an upset. The Dutch have not shown up completely and I think they will take this US team for granted. They move the ball too slowly and are not as decisive in front of goal. Outside Gakpo, who else is really putting pressure on the frame? The US will body up on Gakpo and Frenkie De Jong will just slow the game down when they actually need to pick up the pace.

Sure, I could get it all wrong, but I am calling the upset.

Emobot7 1 year ago Edited
538 11426

He was still the reason why that goal went in.

but he was 100% influential in the outcome.

Guys, nobody is arguing with that, we just said it was funny he thought he was the one who scored it. I mean, we all know he would have loved to get credited with it, its Ronaldo after all. But of couse, I'm sure the fact the team scored is more important and its obvious for everyone that if Ronaldo doesn't play the ball, its very certainly saved by the keeper.

Talking about Ronaldo, I feel like we don't speak about it enough but I really like his performance vs Uruguay, thought he looked a lot more on point and playing as he used to before this season. Feel like playing for his national team is making him a world of good.

Hey, especially if Pulisic is fit for that game, I'm saying thats very possible. I mean, for me, its obvious some of the "big team" aren't gonna make it as far as expected and seeing how Netherland played till now, I think it might be them. Go for it USA, Canadians are cheering for you!!!

• History

Guys, nobody is arguing with that, we just said it was funny he thought he was the one who scored it. I mean, we all know he would have loved to get credited with it, its Ronaldo after all. But of couse, I'm sure the fact the team scored is more important and its obvious for everyone that if Ronaldo doesn't play the ball, its very certainly saved by the keeper.

Talking about Ronaldo, I feel like we don't speak about it enough but I really like his performance vs Uruguay, thought he looked a lot more on point and playing as he used to before this season. Feel like playing for his national team is making him a world of good.

Hey, especially if Pulisic is fit for that game, I'm saying thats very possible. I mean, for me, its obvious some of the "big team" aren't gonna make it as far as expected and seeing how Netherland played till now, I fear it might be them. Go for it USA, Canadians are cheering for you!!!

_Pelle_ 1 year ago

I hate the kind of complacency France showed today against Tunisia. They had a nice flow the two first games, but completely changing the entire roster and lose the game might seriously disrupt the harmony.

_Pelle_ 1 year ago

btw… I don’t mind having a thread like this for the big leagues…
UCL
EPL
La liga

Where we discuss the games. Instead of it all being dispersed in the games page where not so many comment.

Footy_watch 1 year ago
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1842

I hate the kind of complacency France showed today against Tunisia. They had a nice flow the two first games, but completely changing the entire roster and lose the game might seriously disrupt the harmony.

Yh I dont like the France manager, he should get sacked for this. This showed that France aren't the strongest team.

Emobot7 1 year ago
538 11426

btw… I don’t mind having a thread like this for the big leagues…
UCL
EPL
La liga

Good idea, will propably start a few of those when the WC end.

As for France game today, I don't worry too much, yes, it might hurt the rythm a bit but resting their core player was ideal and if it lure their opponents into a false sense of security, it can only help. People shouldn't forget one of France key point was being able to rest more than some of its opponents in 2018.

More thought on today games:
Denmark vs Australia: Surprised to see Denmark failing to get the win here, great story for Australia as they barely made it to the WC and are now in the knockout round.

Argentina vs Poland: Great performance by Enzo Fernandes, starting to understand why people watching Benfica are hyped for him. Clearly, he is the future of this Argentina national team. Too bad for Poland as Szczesny has been so good, maybe they would have deserved a bit better. Still, the important thing is that they are through. Playing France in the round of 16 isn't perfect for them but they are still in it. Unlike Mexico... :(

Algerino 1 year ago
Napoli, Algeria 6 844

@Pelle don’t underestimate Tunisia

And Belgium is the biggest dissapointment