Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

First £100m player? Vote in the poll + discussion
_Gonzi_ 7 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

"27-year-old Gabon international Aubameyang has been linked with moves to the Premier League in the past a well as continental heavyweights PSG and Real Madrid.

According to the research, his age, position, contract status and traits make him the the most likely candidate to become the first in world-football to secure a £100m transfer." - b/r

Who do you think will be the first?

enter image description here

Comments
Lodatz 7 years ago Edited
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

I think Pepe, Khedira, Kaka, Arbeloa etc were out-classed by their United counterparts (Ferdinand, Vidic, Carrick, Nani, Valencia) in 2012, but I do see your point. You're right, the Fergie factor here is enormous.

All the same, I'd still cheekily point to Di Maria, and how well he got on, although maybe we can blame LVG a bit for that...

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I think Pepe, Khedira, Kaka, Arbeloa etc were out-classed by their United counterparts (Ferdinand, Vidic, Nani, Valencia), but I do see your point. You're right, the Fergie factor here is enormous.

All the same, I'd still cheekily point to Di Maria, and how well he got on, although maybe we can blame LVG a bit for that...

I think Pepe, Khedira, Kaka, Arbeloa etc were out-classed by their United counterparts (Ferdinand, Vidic, Nani, Valencia) in 2012, but I do see your point. You're right, the Fergie factor here is enormous.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

That's not really true though. In Ronaldo's case, certainly, but when Bale was sold there were many people who raised Suarez and Hazard above him, and there were accusations of British bias and British over-hyping, and all the usual excuses for why a British (or Spurs) player wasn't really that good etc.

Ehh? I remember Bale single-handedly winning games for Tottenham. I remember him being spoken of as the best player in the EPL by far. Suarez didn't explode yet, and no one thought he'd explode in the manner that he did either.

I also agree with you on United and Chelsea. Back then, United and Chelsea could offer a title-challenging run and a potential semi-final place in the Champions League. That's more than enough to attract top players. But now, no English club offers that quality of football, which is why Barca, Juventus, Bayern, and Madrid can go around buying whoever they want if they really feel like it (although Bayern and Juventus prefer to purchase from within their own leagues).

Ironically, Madrid are finally playing proper team football. It took them a while, but since early 2014, that's the quality of football they've been showing. Everyone is held accountable and everyone is happy to contribute. Although I disagree to an extent with @SunFlash's point about purchasing the "best perceived" players in the world. It is true to an extent. Ronaldo, Kaka, James were all purchased with this intent. But Perez also went and purchased players who were of true top quality, but were not grabbing much attention - di Maria from Benfica, Ozil from Bremen, Casemiro, Modric from Tottenham, Kroos from Bayern, etc.

Lodatz 7 years ago Edited
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Ehh? I remember Bale single-handedly winning games for Tottenham.

I do too, lovingly. :) But Suarez was also doing the same for Liverpool.

I remember him being spoken of as the best player in the EPL by far.

Probably by me. I might have been a little biased... >.>

Suarez didn't explode yet, and no one thought he'd explode in the manner that he did either.

...the league's second top scorer? He did get 23 goals that year, hence many saying he should have gotten the PotY award, but then he was kinda prone to biting people, and stamping on them, etc... Also there was RVP, the league's top scorer with 26 goals, in that equation.

But now, no English club offers that quality of football, which is why Barca, Juventus, Bayern, and Madrid can go around buying whoever they want if they really feel like it

Well hang on a second. I'm not sure Juve really belong on that list, since their huge purchase was from Napoli, using up almost entirely the money thet got for Pogba. I don't recall too many other World Class Acquisitions they've made, buying from top sides around Europe. Dybala for instance came from Palermo.

Bayern themselves haven't really made any high profile purchases other than Lewandowski (on a free!), or Goetze or Hummels from their only domestic (non-)competition. LOL Vidal came from Juve!

But I digress. I do agree that Barca and Madrid can basically throw anything they want at it, and their prestige will probably make the difference. However, I think the points remains that it is far easier to poach Bale and Suarez from Tottenham and Liverpool, but to try and make City part with Aguero or Chelsea with Hazard, both of whom would improve their squads significantly, and probably replace, say Benzema, very quickly, takes a lot more than simply flashing some cash. We've not actually seen it happen since Suarez, and you can't say the quality isn't there, or coveted. As was mentioned, look at how doggedly United have held on to De Gea, when Perez came knocking...

As for Madrid themselves, and their ethos, I agree that they've become a true team, and I think some credit for that goes down to Zidane. It may be he's not the most tactically ground-breaking, but can you imagine being coached by one of the most visionary players of our era? The confidence he must be able to instill in them with the experience he can pass on...

...must be a hell of a dressing room right now. Hala Madrid.

• History

I do too, lovingly. :) But Suarez was also doing the same for Liverpool, and Hazard was doing it for Chelsea (he did win PotY the prior season), and Toure and Aguero were doing it for City.

Suarez didn't explode yet, and no one thought he'd explode in the manner that he did either.

...the league's top scorer? He did get 31 goals that year. In hindsight, maybe he should have gotten the PotY award, but then he was kinda prone to biting people, and stamping on them, etc...

But now, no English club offers that quality of football, which is why Barca, Juventus, Bayern, and Madrid can go around buying whoever they want if they really feel like it

Well hang on a second. I'm not sure Juve really belong on that list, since their huge purchase was from Napoli, using up almost entirely the money thet got for Pogba. I don't recall too many other World Class Acquisitions they've made, buying from top sides around Europe. Bayern themselves haven't really made any high profile purchases other than Lewandowski, on a free, or Hummels.

Dybala for instance came from Palermo. LOL Vidal came from Juve!

But I digress. I do agree that Barca and Madrid can basically throw anything they want at it, and their prestige will probably make the difference. However, I think the points remains that it is far easier to poach Bale and Suarez from Tottenham and Liverpool, but to try and make City part with Aguero or Hazard, both of whom would improve their squads significantly, and probably replace, say, Benzema. As was mentioned, look at how doggedly United have held on to De Gea, when Perez came knocking...

As for Madrid themselves, and their ethos, I agree that they've become a true team, and I think some credit for that goes down to Zidane. It may be he's not the most tactically ground-breaking, but can you imagine being coached by one of the most visionary players of our era? The confidence he must be able to instill in them with the experience he can pass on...

I do too, lovingly. :) But Suarez was also doing the same for Liverpool, and Hazard was doing it for Chelsea (he did win PotY the prior season), and Toure and Aguero were doing it for City.

...the league's second top scorer? He did get 23 goals that year, hence many saying he should have gotten the PotY award, but then he was kinda prone to biting people, and stamping on them, etc...

Well hang on a second. I'm not sure Juve really belong on that list, since their huge purchase was from Napoli, using up almost entirely the money thet got for Pogba. I don't recall too many other World Class Acquisitions they've made, buying from top sides around Europe. Bayern themselves haven't really made any high profile purchases other than Lewandowski, on a free, or Hummels.

Dybala for instance came from Palermo. LOL Vidal came from Juve!

But I digress. I do agree that Barca and Madrid can basically throw anything they want at it, and their prestige will probably make the difference. However, I think the points remains that it is far easier to poach Bale and Suarez from Tottenham and Liverpool, but to try and make City part with Aguero or Hazard, both of whom would improve their squads significantly, and probably replace, say, Benzema. As was mentioned, look at how doggedly United have held on to De Gea, when Perez came knocking...

...the league's second top scorer? He did get 23 goals that year, hence many saying he should have gotten the PotY award, but then he was kinda prone to biting people, and stamping on them, etc...

Well hang on a second. I'm not sure Juve really belong on that list, since their huge purchase was from Napoli, using up almost entirely the money thet got for Pogba. I don't recall too many other World Class Acquisitions they've made, buying from top sides around Europe. Dybala for instance came from Palermo.

Bayern themselves haven't really made any high profile purchases other than Lewandowski, on a free, or Hummels from their only domestic (non-)competition. LOL Vidal came from Juve!

But I digress. I do agree that Barca and Madrid can basically throw anything they want at it, and their prestige will probably make the difference. However, I think the points remains that it is far easier to poach Bale and Suarez from Tottenham and Liverpool, but to try and make City part with Aguero or Chelsea with Hazard, both of whom would improve their squads significantly, and probably replace, say Benzema, very quickly, takes a lot more than simply flashing some cash. As was mentioned, look at how doggedly United have held on to De Gea, when Perez came knocking...

Bayern themselves haven't really made any high profile purchases other than Lewandowski (on a free!), or Goetze or Hummels from their only domestic (non-)competition. LOL Vidal came from Juve!

But I digress. I do agree that Barca and Madrid can basically throw anything they want at it, and their prestige will probably make the difference. However, I think the points remains that it is far easier to poach Bale and Suarez from Tottenham and Liverpool, but to try and make City part with Aguero or Chelsea with Hazard, both of whom would improve their squads significantly, and probably replace, say Benzema, very quickly, takes a lot more than simply flashing some cash. As was mentioned, look at how doggedly United have held on to De Gea, when Perez came knocking...

But I digress. I do agree that Barca and Madrid can basically throw anything they want at it, and their prestige will probably make the difference. However, I think the points remains that it is far easier to poach Bale and Suarez from Tottenham and Liverpool, but to try and make City part with Aguero or Chelsea with Hazard, both of whom would improve their squads significantly, and probably replace, say Benzema, very quickly, takes a lot more than simply flashing some cash. We've not actually seen it happen since Suarez, and you can't say the quality isn't there, or coveted. As was mentioned, look at how doggedly United have held on to De Gea, when Perez came knocking...

Dynastian98 7 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Lodatz

Yeah, for sure. Madrid have wanted Aguero for ages, but he never wants to leave. Probably a partial split between having played already for Atletico and being the star man at Manchester City - who aren't a shabby team by any means.

I also think the De Gea deal was a fck up on our behalf (the nonsense about a fax machine.... apparently fax machines haven't been used in football transfers since the 90's or something). I think Madrid will get De Gea eventually. Perhaps this summer. If we get De Gea this summer, then it will be terrific. I will literally lose my balls. De Gea or Verratti, and I'm drowning myself in liquor.

• History

@Lodatz

Yeah, for sure. Madrid have wanted Aguero for ages, but he never wants to leave. Probably a partial split between having played already for Atletico and being the star man at Manchester City - who aren't a shabby team by any means.

nigelpayne 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 15 484

@lodatz personally dont see kane leaving. He is very much tottenham material. Also his whole family are strong tottenham supporters for a long time. Tottenham is his home. He will be in champions league next season too and with the team playing as well as they are at the moment they could potentially take the title next season. I dont think money is more attractive to him than all that.

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Neymar!! Who saw that coming?!?!?!

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I think Ousmane Dembele going for 100+ was more surprising than Neymar going for 100+. Of course, Neymar still cost double of Dembele, which makes his price tag so staggering. But if we're strictly talking about 100+ players, I found Dembele's transfer cost to be more surprising than Neymar.

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Yeah rather pay 200 million on Neymar tbh too. Then again inflation is soo bad.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

It's not even inflation. If inflation was the only problem, then the Brazilian Ronaldo's transfer to Real Madrid would have been worth 59.000.000 Euros today. That's nearly half of Dembele's cost.

It's all these billionaire owners and funding that is jacking the prices up. Too much money in the market.

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Neymar is going nowhere... ( my comment )
Well we thought he was Messi loyalty caliber, and also did Barca direction too busy negotiating Messi contract renewal and closing the doors on his. ( even if I found his pay raise claims unfounded considering the amount he was earning ).

Well, that's the way it is, I never was a fanatic of Neymar, not denying his potential but I clearly prefer effective dribbling to taunting which causes instant harsh tackle in amator Football, i think my fellow Defenders here on FR would agree with me. ;)

That being said, he was Messi's main player replacement, Barca lost a lot in letting him go not just in the field, in term of image too...

But then again, I d rather see him leave than earn 30m a season, specially when Barca were not performing at past years standards.

That being said, i would probably do the same if I was in his place so I would get my mouth shut ATM. I'm not hating him right now.

Marcus2011 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

It isn't just billionaires but also because TV broadcasting can reach way more population which means more money. Merchandisers are targeting every corner of the world. Demand for star players is higher than ever because in some way it justifies their cost to the club in the long run. All together factors into inflation of the transfer market.

Honestly, I am just going to wait another year and I bet UEFA with FIFA will start raising concerns despite how corrupt they are they still have obligations to football federations. It can't go on for too long.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

What a transfer window it has been for PSG!

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11435

@Dynastian They got something like 4 player in total though, well, that I know of. Should have work harder to get midfielder and defender as well as Neymar and M'bappe but otherwise, I agree its impressive. Still think its overkill considering what they already have.