Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

VAR in EPL...
quikzyyy 4 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

So, after a while how would you rate VAR usage in Premier League by the one and only FA?

Comments
Greatone 3 years ago
Arsenal, Australia 19 727

alli got a penalty whilst literally stopping running and already diving a half second before contact was made (basically blatantly making contact happen)

The second angle on the saka penalty appeal is the clearest one, it might look like he is tripping over his legs in the first, but the second shows that his leg gets knocked which forces the second contact whilst also completely taking him out without getting near the ball. What I really remember as being super weird was the amount of time it took to review it, the VAR team only looked at the first angle or something because they literally took 3 seconds to say "review complete".
I watched that and the commentator said: oh its good they are taking less time reviewing VAR like its a good thing when blatant mistakes get made.
Arsenal were trash and got destroyed by a way better chelsea team, but it's a really way-too-common feeling for these referee decisions against us

Emobot7 3 years ago
538 11432

I was watching a French stream and at one point, they read a twitter post with one guy saying that it looked like even the Ref didn't respect Arsenal anymore. Seem on point to me. I mean, when that kind of incident happen on its own, I don't feel its so bad but when you compare it to so many other call when Arsenal aren't involved, there reasons to be upset. I heard there were some new rule about VAR and all but that doesn't excuse call being different from team to team in similar situation.

Footy_watch 3 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1856

I wanted us to get thrashed and I was happy we didn't get the penalty. But even I can see its a stonewall penalty. James didnt have possession of the ball, he ran into saka and tripped him. Everyone including the referees and me is against Arsenal.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I wanted us to get thrashed and I was happy we didn't get the penalty. But even I can see its a stonewall penalty. James didnt have possession of the ball, he ran into saka and tripped him.

quikzyyy 3 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

PSG didn't play against Chelsea this weekend.

DarthFooty 3 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1098

I saw the replay a few times, from different angles, just to make sure I had what I think is correct. I have no bias for or against either team in this situation, so my opinion is solely on the football play itself. I also did not factor if Saka was a known diver, or James was known to stab in, as I have not heard either player in a negative light.

From what I saw, I would say it's a PK. James comes into the player a bit too much without it looking like he is playing for the ball. I see his right foot plant in front of Saka, then he changed to move more directly to the ball. Saka hit James and was bodied off.

We see shoulder and body charges a lot, and some I do feel are more foul than fair, but I like that the refs allow the game to move on. With this being a VAR stoppage, I would have given a PK in this case, and that is after I would have let the live play go. VAR gives me a better perspective, the slow motion, so I would have changed my call.

That's my opinion anyway, so take it or leave it. haha

Emobot7 3 years ago
538 11432

@DarthFooty Doesn't switching your opinion after checking on VAR count as a mistake for a ref and affect their ranking? If thats really the case, then not going to see VAR might be the easiest choice for a ref who just aimed for less mistake in their games. Hope I'm wrong though.

_Pelle_ 3 years ago
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6884

Just want to add that when you show examples of penalties given for almost nothing, doesn’t make it ok to give a penalty for every similar situation. The simple reason being that it probably was wrong to give a penalty in the first case.

As for the Arsenal-Chelsea incident I feel like it could have been a penalty, to me it’s not obvious so I wont say ”it should have been”. But that’s just my opinion.

I am more frustrated at how Arsenal are losing without even being able to score.

DarthFooty 3 years ago

@Emobot7 I would hope that the ref can hold themselves accountable enough that if VAR is showing them something that would make them change their minds, that they would. Not sure if that is supposed to score them lower or anything, but if that is the case, you won't have any legit growth in the application of VAR.

Emobot7 3 years ago
538 11432

@Pelle Yeah, like Arsenal but things looking real grim even without the ref decision on call like those...

I would hope that the ref can hold themselves accountable enough that if VAR is showing them something that would make them change their minds, that they would.

I certainly hope they would but in the hyper competetive place that is top flight football, I wouldn't be surprised if some of those ref at least were only there for themselve.

Not sure if that is supposed to score them lower or anything, but if that is the case, you won't have any legit growth in the application of VAR.

That I completely agree with you. Its like they implement something but do everything they can to have people not back it up in the best of way.

Greatone 3 years ago

Ref accountability in the PL is a joke though. Coaches are literally not allowed to speak about referee decisions without getting fined or punished. If it was like you just can't be abusive but can still talk about referees it would be fine, but they don't want to be accountable.

DarthFooty 3 years ago Edited

nvm haha

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

No offense to anyone out there who might feel this is directed at them but there is a global phenomenon of people being overly sensitive nowadays. My feels are hurt, you must respect me, you must identify with me..... Situations dictate actions right, so you would assume, as a Ref, should a call go sideways, the coach or the team capt would want to speak with you a bit about it. I would expect that ref to accommodate the coach/capt and give whatever explanation they want about the situation and be done with it. It's the simple listen, acknowledge, and provide direction.

This behavior has cascaded down to even club or high school ball here in the US. Last season, while coaching a high school match, the ref called a foul on my player when the opponent tripped himself on the ball. My closest player was a good 3 yards from the opponent.

For context, I am not a yelling coach or person. I feel yelling just makes things worse and also makes you look more foolish in the end. That is not to say that I don't have passion and get frustrated, but I hold it in and try to pick my battles with the ref, other coaches, ect...

So, the ref makes this call, which is on top of a handful of other pretty silly calls, but this time I try and ask him about it. He freaks at me and tells me to stop yelling at him and that I need to shut up and just coach. 1. I didnt yell at all at him or anyone. 2. It was the first time I directed anything at the ref as I was asking for some clarification of the call. 3. The opponents coach was the one doing all the screaming, at the ref, his players, and even a few of mine.....

As a coach, I should be able to ask some questions when the time was right. The ball had not restarted so play was not active, that was my time to ask.

I just smiled at him as he was yelling at me from across the pitch. I lowered my head and laughed a bit, but started walking back to my bench. He decided I disrespected him and ran over to give me a yellow card. He said one more action like that and he would throw me out.

We won the match 5-1 and had been tied 1-1 when all this went down.

There is a time and place for everything, but people are just way too sensitive, so even when you "do it right" you get nowhere.

quikzyyy 2 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

theres no point of var in epl, absolute disgrace to make such so many errors every single gameweek yet they still are referees and face no consequences despite being crap over and over again

uncle_touchy 2 years ago
Manchester United, England 3 123

After seeing the Wolves Vs Citeh game. Clearly there's something wrong or the Var assistant blind. There's no way that was a penalty!! Ball to hand definitely not handball. Clearly we see where the alliances are. They didn't even check the foul on Ronaldo and right so it was a penalty imo.

Greatone 2 years ago

yeah blatantly hanging the leg out, already falling in the air like a dead fish; refs give penalty. lol

Footy_watch 2 years ago
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1856

There have been so many wrong penalty decisions this season that I lost count.

tuan_jinn 2 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Agree VAR in EPL is close to useless, the VAR assistant guys are so incompetent, it's amusing

Footy_watch 2 years ago
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1856

enter image description here

Another obvious wrong decision which proved to make a big difference as city won 7-0. Clear red card denial of goalscoring opportunity.

quikzyyy 2 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Wanna bet Xhaka would get red card and be send back off to Switzerland?

Greatone 2 years ago

@quikzyyy just in the most recent game if you watched it, Antonio went studs up - didn’t hit ramsdale but extremely dangerous. Remember earlier on in the year when xhaka got a red card for the same thing against man c. Then people keep using his cards against him as reasons to give him more cards more easily when it’s the refs.

quikzyyy 2 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Yep, he didn't even get a card, The referee yesterday was another poor performance.