Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Trolls in footyroom
_Pelle_ 8 years ago Edited
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6888

I have noticed how some members in here are becoming worse in their usage of abusive language. For their information it should be clearified that it is NOT OK and in a few cases even criminal. The saddest part is that some give the impression that they are here for no other reason than to insult and offend people who are complete strangers to them. And the reason for being bitchy and malignant toward other people is sometimes very unsignificant!! e.g. supporting the "wrong" team...

This forum is for all kinds of people to discuss the common interest they have: football/soccer!

Not spread hatred!

However, if you are too young or too uneducated to know here is a reminder... The verbal abuse falls under "hate crime" and is a prejudice-motivated crime and the targeted groups include sex, ethnicity, race, disability, physical appearance, religion, gender identity, sex orientation...

If you have difficulties with understanding this than remember the golden rule which states that you should treat others as you wish to be treated. Assumably with respect and dignity!

(I also encourage the ban of some people and their ip-adresses, who recurrently violate this simple but fundamental "norm")

Please enjoy each others "company" in here and don't ruin the fun! Peace!

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I have noticed how some members in here are becoming worse in their usage of abusive language. For their informationit should be clearified that it is NOT OK and in a few cases even criminal. The saddest part is that some give the impression that they are here for no other reason than to insult and offend people who are complete strangers to them. And the reason for being bitchy and malignant toward other people is sometimes very unsignificant!! e.g. supporting the "wrong" team...

This forum is for all kinds of people to discuss the common interest they have: football/soccer!

Not spread hatred!

However, if you are too young or too uneducated to know here is a reminder... The verbal abuse falls under "hate crime" and is a prejudice-motivated crime and the targeted groups include sex, ethnicity, race, disability, physical appearance, religion, gender identity, sex orientation...

If you have difficulties with understanding this than remember the golden rule which states that you should treat others as you wish to be treated. Assumably with respect and dignity!

(I also encourage the ban of some people and their ip-adresses, who recurrently violate this simple but fundamental "norm")

Please enjoy each others "company" in here and don't ruin the fun! Peace!

Comments
Gunner_ 8 years ago
Arsenal, Germany 0 460

You shouldn't take my words literally when I say all of them (I actually said ALMOST). Among them Maurico, Nerazzurifan and Shariq should have been banned long ago and that's what I meant. Kaka_CS is getting better but a few days ago he called someone Paki again in a sentence like "you're not even Indian, you're Paki)!!! I didn't report it because I see he's getting better but he has to deal with some racism. I don't care if Shariq (or sometimes quickzy?) is an Arsenal fan. I'm not comfortable with his selection of words and the threads he engages in especially with the names I mentioned above. There are a few, like less than 5, members, active members, whom the website is way more pleasant and safe without. But that's a quick solution (if solution). There should be a big banner everywhere reminding people that direct attacks and name callings are not fine. I don't know why I'm arguing about something so obvious. Go check this topic, one or two pages back, and see how many times I have reported Maurico and see what words he uses. Well no one cared, and he posted this last comment today, and he will do the same tomorrow and the day after. Simple.

SunFlash 8 years ago
USA 19 3260

I'm not sure how to reply to this, especially when you're saying I should be taking you literally. I'll give it a go though.

From my experience as a moderator, I used a warning system, and then a ban for <week. If that didn't work, then the final permanent ban would be applied. I don't know exactly how its done here, but I would assume it's some variation of that.

As for trolling, banter, racism, and whatnot, if you're looking for a "safe space" the forum is pretty much it. While I think some of what goes on in the comments sections is abhorrent, it's still less toxic than any other site where 8-year old fight one another with broken English. I just consider anyone online who can't articulate their point and swears constantly as being not worth my attention. Once you accept that a certain amount of the internet is just elementary school kids fighting with one another, it becomes a lot easier to ignore, or deem irrelevant.

Basically, I don't care what goes on in the comments, because it's too emotionally charged - teams have just won and lost, e-peen is at stake. If any of that crap got on the forum I would hammer the crap out of it so fast...this is a board where I can actually converse without any trash being annoying. Take for example my comment on the Arsenal-Bourgh game where I stated something along the lines of "Spurs and Arsenal both drew, I'm kind of disappointed that neither side is taking on a title challenge, instead just continuing their 4th place narrative." Right away, I get a "You can't talk, look where United is" dipshit. That is completely irrelevant, I know where United is, and doesn't make what I'm saying any less true. Sadly, it's something I just accept as natural in the comments section. Annoying, but hardly bannable, just childish.

That's my standard for the comments section. If you think it should be higher, that's fine. But I just don't care enough.

Gunner_ 8 years ago
Arsenal, Germany 0 460

I think we're both on the same page. In that example you stated your opinion respectfully and the response wasn't a direct attack. A few certain users they need to add direct insults, racism, name callings and misogyny in all their comments. Some of them have already been banned several times but they don't care. If you ban them, they most probably will start a new account and keep doing it. I'm not sure what's the best to deal with this situation but leaving them there is not the best way either. I have reported that guy here posting several screenshots and the comments are still there and those users have added to that kind of attacks so... That's what I can think of. Something. Something should be done. I don't know what, but those users should know it's not ok.

_Pelle_ 8 years ago

@Sunflash: I do agree, but still do not completely share your standpoint on the comments field as it gives the impression of indifferency. Of course there should be some adequate level of tolerance and we don't need to brand every bad comment as unfit (and hence delete it) .. but it should NEVER be ignored or neglected. Bad people will exploit that and see as a "justification".

Having said that I'd like to share some words of wisdom:

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something"
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.”
"Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

SunFlash 8 years ago
USA 19 3260

@Gunner

I don't disagree that something should be done. Adding two new mods is a good start. How effective that is remains to be seen. But as I was saying, just because people say stupid things doesn't mean that we can ban them. As I outlined with the example you posted here, it's complicated.

@Pelle

Disagree completely. As much as idiots may be annoying, they have a right to their idiotic opinions. If they violate rules, then sure, ban them. But being an idiot is not in and of itself reason to be banned.

The problem with trolling is that this forum does allow it, as seen here:

1. Trolling
    Comments like "Manchester United Rocks", "Chelsea are crap", "Barcelona RULES" are very boring and immature. It's better if you tell everyone WHY you think Chelsea is crap or why Barcelona 'RULES', because not everyone might think same as you. If you are trolling YOU WILL BE BANNED.

I don't disagree with this at all. I don't like it when people say stupid things like "United are the best," and the rules even suggest that you should add something to that instead of just a blanket statement, but as you can see, we can't ban people for saying it. That is a good thing imo, since a little bit of trolling isn't a problem.

Of course there should be some adequate level of tolerance and we don't need to brand every bad comment as unfit (and hence delete it) .. but it should NEVER be ignored or neglected. Bad people will exploit that and see as a "justification".

So we should have a mod comment on every chain of "less welcome" highlight comments. Occasionally, inevitably, the mod will get dragged into it, and then what power do you have then? There really isn't a different way to do it either, because we can't suspend/ban people for rules that they didn't break.

You guys understand where I'm coming from? It basically boils down to:

Premise 1: What you guys are complaining about is not against the rules
Conclusion 1: Therefore, it is allowed to happen, even though we don't always like it
Conclusion 2: Therefore, moderators can do nothing

All we have left is people complaining on the forum about mods, who are powerless in this situation.

_Pelle_ 8 years ago

@Sunflash: We are apparently talking past each other. I very seldom give "idiots" any attention at all. I cited: "Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" for a reason... and expressing ones idiotic opinion is usually not a big issue.

I'm against people being attacked in a personal, rascistic, antisemitic, homophobic etc. way just for SHARING an opinion. And I'm sorry if you've had bad experience as a mod. Cheers!

AlexBatak 8 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

Everyone is a moderator at Footroom, not everyone have an access to ban, remove comments. By that I mean all you have to do is report someone and help moderating. That's the easiest way to get rid of trolls. Be like Iniesta :)

tuan_jinn 8 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

@Alex: +1.

@SunFlash & @Pelle: banters to certain extends will be tolerated, trolled comments will be removed, we will see how screwed up such comments are and decide on the user's level. Normally if it's not so bad I will give them a warning, I mostly do warning first. When it's really bad and consistent, I will just ban him.

KTBFFHSWE 8 years ago
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

Basically, I don't care what goes on in the comments, because it's too
emotionally charged - teams have just won and lost, e-peen is at
stake. If any of that crap got on the forum I would hammer the crap
out of it so fast...

Agree. The forum is the safe space of FR. Obviously, if they cross the line in the comment section, then they should be gone. Other than that, just scroll by those comments. Very easy to ignore.

tuan_jinn 8 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

KTBFFHSWE: +1

Gunner_ 8 years ago
Arsenal, Germany 0 460

The whole tread is idiotic, but when are you gonna ban Mauricio? This has been my unanswered question for quite a while! :|
enter image description here

AlexBatak 8 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

@Gunner and @everyone, when you report someone please provide the link to the incident so it can be easy to find and deal with it immediately. Thanks! :) Also please refrain from posting/reporting on the forum about the offender. Just comment on one of the moderator's wall.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Gunner and @everyone, when you report someone please provide the link to the incident so it can be easy to find and deal with it immediately. Thanks! :) Also please refrain from posting/reporting on the forum about the reports. Just comment on one of the moderator's wall.

Gunner_ 8 years ago
Arsenal, Germany 0 460

Thanks @Alex. I didn't know where to report.

KaKa_CS 8 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 1 910

I see some people mentioning my name. One thing to keep in mind, I'm not trolling I'm saying facts or my opinion, when someone insults I hit back. With all respect, the moderators do not do their job even when I report. The only moderator who was fair and active was shpalman.

Emobot7 8 years ago
538 11435

@KaKa Do not strike back at people who insult you, either report them or ignore them. Also, you have to know we cannot ban everybody who disagree with you. If you state your opinion in a way that is both mature and respectful, you have nothing to worry about. I would also like to confirm you that we are doing our job, maybe not fast enough for you, but we are doing the best we can.

chelsea8 8 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

Ban everyone! Build a wall!! Donald trump for president! #dabonthem.

KaKa_CS 8 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 1 910

@chelsea8. hahahhahaha

Emobot7 8 years ago
538 11435

@chelsea8 Lol, what the heck? XD

Jimbet 7 years ago
Arsenal, Malaysia 12 1292

^ read his wall.. EMOBOT like a BOSS.. :)