Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

I have never rated pep... Polls
Messi3457 7 years ago
2 12

This thread might piss some people but that's what I believe. He's a good one but no where near the level he is rated. One of the most overrated coach.

Comments
Amerr30 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Bosnia-Herzegovina 56 616

I always said it. Pep Guardiola is the most overrated coach of this generation. He and Messi owe their reputation and their success to the brilliance of Xavi and Iniesta.

Dynastian98 7 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

I don't think the problem is City's squad. City have an excellent squad. It's that Pep does not know how to play any other way than his own. He does not know how to adapt. Even in Bayern, he moved Philipp Lahm to DM in order to utilize Lahm's excellent tackling and passing skills. But anyone with a footballing brain knows that Lahm's best position is RB by far.

You cannot afford to be nit-picky about your squads. You have to learn to work with what you have. An excellent example I can give you is Mourinho and Ramos/Ronaldo. Mou hates working with "superstar" players. He wants everybody to listen to everything he instructs, and superstar players tend to have egos too big to be scolded if they did not carry out Mou's instructions properly. But Mou did not choose to tame Ronaldo/Ramos. Instead, he worked with what he had - he adapted to the situation in Madrid.

Guardiola must do the same at City. City's squad isn't suited to playing his tiki-taka, high pressing brand of football. But they are certainly capable of playing title-winning football, and that's what Pep needs to figure out. I disagree that he's overrated, but I certainly agree with the statement that he's one-dimensional as f**k.

@Amerr

Haha, that's stretching it. All of them needed each other to succeed. Take just one of them out of the equation, and you would not have Barcelona's golden era. Messi and Pep were just as important as Xavi and Iniesta, IMHO.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I don't think the problem is City's squad. City have an excellent squad. It's that Pep does not know how to play any other way than his own. He does not know how to adapt. Even in Bayern, he moved Philipp Lahm to DM in order to utilize Lahm's excellent tackling and passing skills. But anyone with a footballing brain knows that Lahm's best position is RB by far.

You cannot afford to be nit-picky about your squads. You have to learn to work with what you have. An excellent example I can give you is Mourinho and Ramos/Ronaldo. Mou hates working with "superstar" players. He wants everybody to listen to everything he instructs, and superstar players tend to have egos too big to be scolded if they did not carry out Mou's instructions properly. But Mou did not choose to tame Ronaldo/Ramos. Instead, he worked with what he had - he adapted to the situation in Madrid.

Guardiola must do the same at City. City's squad isn't suited to playing his tiki-taka, high pressing brand of football. But they are certainly capable of playing title-winning football, and that's what Pep needs to figure out. I disagree that he's overrated, but I certainly agree with the statement that he's one-dimensional as f**k.

Messi3457 7 years ago
2 12

@amir I believe manager has to find ways to get the best out of squad. Not the other way around. City isn't the right team for him is not an appropriate excuse for him I guess.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@Messi3457 I agree to some extend, its a good excuse to why his results are poor, doesn't excuse him from the responsability of having better results.

@Dynastian Agreed, this seem like one of his major weakpoint.

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

I believe manager has to find ways to get the best out of squad. Not the other way around. City isn't the right team for him is not an appropriate excuse for him I guess.

Well, yeah. Even his signings aren't great

Gondogan is very injury prone, there's no way he was gonna adapt
Nolito is good, but they didn't need him
Sane is a stupid one. I don't get it, they also didn't need him
No explanation needed on Stones
Same for Bravo, no explanation needed

And he's totally trying to find way to change his philosophy which is clearly not working.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@amir_keal Bravo managed to get nutmegged by a what? 18 year old? Come on Pep, stop saying he is one of the best player you got. Seriously, the man is deluded on some level at the very least. :(

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@amir_keal Well, at least, he doesn't seem too down about the results. Now, it would be good if he asked himself why his team doesn't punish the opponent when they create chance and how the opponents does punish his team when they do create chance.

Amerr30 7 years ago Edited

@Dynastian: You don't think he's overrated yet say he's one-dimensional as f**k? You don't see the how contradictory that is, knowing how high he is rated by the media and his supporters?

Him being one dimensional is just enough proof that he is not one of the great managers of todays game. A great manager has the ability to adopt, ability to change, to learn, to always get the best out of his teams. He's not able to do that, and you seem to agree with that going by your post.

So how can you claim that he's not overrated, yet agree with all these statements?

You're trying to overreach, please as many opinions as possible. Trying to sit on two chairs with one ass.

Unless you're actually uninformed, do not know just how high Guardiola is rated by the majority of those involved with football.

Make up your mind, buddy. Don't let that 'moderator' tag mess with you so much ;)

• History

@Dynastian: You don't think he's overrated yet say he's one-dimensional as f**k? You don't see contradiction that is, knowing how high he is rated by the media and his supporters?

Him being one dimensional is just enough proof that he is not one of the great managers of todays game. A great manager has the ability to adopt, ability to change, to learn, to always get the best out of his teams. He's not able to do that, and you seem to agree with that going by your post.

So how can you claim that he's not overrated, yet agree with all these statements?

You're trying to overreach, please as many opinions as possible. Trying to sit on two chairs with one ass.

Unless you're actually uninformed, do not know just how high Guardiola is rated by the majority of those involved with football.

@Dynastian: You don't think he's overrated yet say he's one-dimensional as f**k? You don't see the how contradictory that is, knowing how high he is rated by the media and his supporters?

Make up your mind, buddy. Don't let that 'moderator' tag mess with you too much ;)

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

When your one-dimension created the most successful side in the modern game, I'd agree with that. Pep knows how to play tiki-taka, and is completely inflexible in every other capacity. So no, he's not overrated in terms of his style, he just needs to learn that he can't slap his style on any random team and expect it to come off. In reality, the Bayern players adapted to him, Lahm being an excellent example, instead of the other way around. City's players haven't done that, and don't look like they're going to either.

SunFlash, are seriously crediting the 'existance' of Iniesta, Xavi, Puyol,Pique, and Messi to.. Pep Guardiola?

I honestly believe that whatever system was tried with that group of players, along with Henry, David Vila, Sanchez, and etc.. it would have been 'the most successful side in the modern game'. Their success had nothing to do with their manager, it was the group of players who carried it that made it success.

Further, on a personal note, a better manager could've implemented a system that was much - much more pleasing to the eye.

Let's not forget that during Barcelona's golden years with Guardiola, Spain was also dominating thanks to those same players. However, is Del Bosque or Aragones (who later completely failed with Fenerbahce - which again speaks to the quality of the players) credited with any of that success? Not really. People do see that it was the golden generation of players. So why is it that with Barcelona, a completely different view is applied?

It's beyond me.

• History

SunFlash, are seriously crediting the 'existance' of Iniesta, Xavi, Puyol,Pique, and Messi to.. Pep Guardiola?

I honestly believe that whatever system was tried with that group of players, along with Henry, David Vila, Sanchez, and etc.. it would have been 'the most successful side in the modern game'. Their success had nothing to do with their manager, it was the group of players who carried it that made it success.

Further, on a personal note, a better manager could've implemented a system that was much - much more pleasing to the eye.

Let's not forget that during Barcelona's golden years with Guardiola, Spain was also dominating thanks to those same players. However, is Del Bosque or Aragones credited with any of that success? Not really. People do see that it was the golden generation of players. So why is it that with Barcelona, a completely different view is applied?

It's beyond me.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Pep did change that team. He sold the centerpiece of it, Ronaldinho, brought Iniesta into a starting eleven role, and based his team around Messi.

So no, I'm not crediting their "existence" to Pep, just how they were used, cause like it or not they were all there before he arrived and weren't exactly lighting the world on fire. The difference between world-class and "the best" is an incredible hurdle, and Pep's system accomplished it. Besides, did Spain not use his exact same system? Of course they did.

You can have amazing players, but if the manager/system is wrong, it doesn't work out. Didn't you learn that with Rafa last season?

amir_keal 7 years ago

Let's not forget that during Barcelona's golden years with Guardiola, Spain was also dominating thanks to those same players. However, is Del Bosque or Aragones (who later completely failed with Fenerbahce - which again speaks to the quality of the players) credited with any of that success? Not really. People do see that it was the golden generation of players. So why is it that with Barcelona, a completely different view is applied?

True there, I agree.

You can have amazing players, but if the manager/system is wrong, it doesn't work out. Didn't you learn that with Rafa last season?

That isn't the best example. Rafa was never the right man to lead Madrid.

Of course, I never said Guardiola is a particularly bad coach. I only ever said that he's incredibly overrated.

Spain did not play the same system as Guardiola, that would've been impossible since Guardiola's system was rather dependent on a false 9, which Spain did not use/have. They did play a variation of tiki-taka, but not quite the same. Yet it was still successful, they were dominant in World Football for 6+ years. Two European and one World cup. Which again, speak to the quality of the players rather than the system.

Guardiola's system was almost entirely dependent on a false nine, which Messi was at Barcelona. He tried to convert/use Gotze at Bayern for the same role but failed.

His system 'requires' two - three extraordinary, world class players. How can you consider to be a 'genius' system? It "only" worked with Barcelona, even failed with a great Bayern squad.

He's not a revolutionary, he did not change football. You don't see other teams adopting it. It's a great example of a flash in the pan, not a repeated success. What did have a repeated success? Barcelona without Guardiola. Enrique won a treble with a more direct football.

So you tell me, what turned out to be the 'required' ingredient for success? Guardiola's system or Barcelona squad?

• History

Of course, I never said Guardiola is a particularly bad coach. I only ever said that he's incredibly overrated.

Spain did not play the same system as Guardiola, that would've been impossible since Guardiola's system was rather dependent on a false 9, which Spain did not use/have. They did play a variation of tiki-taka, but not quite the same. Yet it was still successful, they were dominant in World Football for 6+ years. Two European and one World cup. Which again, speak to the quality of the players rather than the system.

Guardiola's system was almost entirely dependent on a false nine, which Messi was at Barcelona. He tried to convert/use Gotze at Bayern for the same role but failed.

His system 'requires' two - three extraordinary, world class players. How can you consider to be a 'genius' system? It "only" worked with Barcelona, even failed with a great Bayern squad.

He's not a revolutionary, he did not change football. You don't see other teams adopting it. It's a great example of a flash in the pan, not a repeated success. What did have a repeated success? Barcelona without Guardiola. Enrique won a treble with a more direct football.

So you tell me, what turned out to be the 'required' ingredient for success? Guardiola, or Barcelona squad?

So you tell me, what turned out to be the 'required' ingredient for success? Guardiola or Barcelona squad?

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

So you tell me, what turned out to be the 'required' ingredient for success? Guardiola's system or Barcelona squad?

That's a trick question, it's both, you can't have one without the other. Pep's "perfect team" was helped out immensely by some of the finest players ever, who, in turn needed his system to achieve that height of success.

Amerr30 7 years ago

SunFlash, that's obviously not true since they achieved the same heights with Enrique.

amir_keal 7 years ago

Who invented the five second rule at Barcelona. Was it Pep?

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

SunFlash, that's obviously not true since they achieved the same heights with Enrique

I can and will fight that quite strongly.

First off, the starting 11 was totally different. Different keeper, 50% different backline, different midfield (Xavi played a minimal role that season), not to mention the change of Suarez and Neymar.

Second off, unless Barca wins the CL again this season, they won't come close in terms of titles. In addition, it looks as though Enrique's Barca won't win the league this season, which means that he won't be able to match Pep's 14 titles in 4 seasons, although it's doubtful he would've regardless. In addition, Enrique's Barca has been very weak at the back, something that makes them far worse than Pep's Barca and why no one ever talks about Enrique's Barca being among the greatest teams ever. His attack? Sure. His team? Far from it.

Yes, Enrique won a treble. And in terms of a season, that's the best you can do. But when we're attempting to argue the greatest team of all time, the heights are very different, and I don't think any Barca fan here would attempt to argue that.

_Gonzi_ 7 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

pep is great. the english media is atrocious. give him some time.

kyoekyar 7 years ago Edited
12 163

Quick question. If you guys think Pep is not overrated, well, do you guys think Pep can repeat the same success if he return to Barca now?

Okie, not the same success, let him just win the treble again, Do you guys think he can do it?

My point is if he can't repeat the success or at least treble again, is the the group of players or him? I don't mean he's a bad coach or terrible coach, I can see how fluid man city is playing on their day.

• History

Quick question. If you guys think Pep is not overrated, well, do you guys think Pep can repeat the same success if he return to Barca now?

Okie, not the same success, let him just win the treble again, Do you guys think he can do it?

My point is if he can't repeat the success or at least treble again, is the the group of players or him? I don't mean he's a bad coach or terrible coach, I can see how smooth man city is playing on their day.