Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Mbappe vs Asensio vs Dembele
Amerr30 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Bosnia-Herzegovina 56 616

Who do you guys think is the best young player right now?

I know that Asensio does not get as much hype as the other two but it'd be foolish to say he's not in the same bracket as them.

He's about to sign another contract to increase his buyout clause to 350, to ensure Real don't suffer the same fate as Barca.

Who do you guys think is showing the most potential, the most promise?

I think Dembele is the most immature in terms of in-game decisions whereas both Asensio and Mbappe excel in that area. It is without a doubt that all three are immensely talented, so it will depend on maturity and decisions they make.

Comments
tuan_jinn 7 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

@Emo: spot on. Still a bit early to say anything.

@Golazo: really? And that made you change your club? :O...

I normally have one life time supporting club, and at any given time have some favorites depends on players, coach, style at the very moment. Just me. Although, switching to other rivalry club because of 1 visiting to a mega store is a super weird thing :D:D:D.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Emo: spot on. Still a bit early to say anything.

@Golazo: really? And that made you change your club? :O...

Although, I normally have one life time supporting club, and at any given time have some favorites depends on players, coach, style at the very moment.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

@tuan I really like Lacazette but it's like when I was younger, I loved to watch Giggs and I have 3 Giggs shirts but as soon as he retired and that generation ended with Sir Ferguson my feelings went away as well, so I can't really fake it with Arsenal as a whole club.
It's those things that you can't really choose you know, the Lion of Chelsea chose me.

JuanMata10 7 years ago
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

WE'RE NOT PLASTIC FA... oh..

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@tuan_jinn Don't forget that Golazo actually support America more seriously though, he started supporting Arsenal recently and I believe he wasn't sure about his choice then. When he'll be sure of a club to support, he will stick with it. Hopefully, it will be Chelsea. :)

Anyway, back on topic. Croatian and I know the truth, Dembele will be one of the sickest player of all time in the future... Well, if he start training again. :P

Croatian 7 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

@Amer, Dembele was only player that did anything against Monaco besides Auba and Kagawa, obviously the effect was there after bus attack but he was probably only one who could change a match. Was decent against Madrid (Gelson Martins was better though). Also he was fantastic against Legia and their player of the group stage for sure.

They not only showed the ability to beat defenders, they showed great maturity in decision making, have great finishing, and do not allow pressure affect their game.

Tbh just because he dribbles more doesn't mean he is bad decision-maker, he wouldn't have 18 assists by now. Can Asensio dribble or even assist like Dembele? He can't, even tho he is playmaker/CAM. Dembele has special sense for assisting, he is as good in counters like Asensio, he is faster, he is on par with him in final third. Dembele also is ambidextrous and shoots penalty with his 'weaker' foot (he said that left is his better, but shoots penalties with right).

So now, what has Dembele done against the big clubs? Has he done anything against Bayern worth mentioning? I'm honestly asking. I have not heard much of him. Little from what I seen, and from what I heard, he's a fantastic dribbler that often plays himself into trouble and ends up losing the ball. Makes poor decisions on the field. You can be the most talented dribbler in the World, if you haven't gotten game intelligence - you won't add much to the team, you'll be a liability.

He scored cracker against us, he also was very good in Super cup, assisted to Auba etc. he was good in all games against us except for 4-1.

Also he isn't same type of player as Mbappe or Asensio, you won't see headlines about Dembele, he doesn't score goals like Asensio or at that amount like Mbappe but he is top 5 dribblers at age of 20, he had 12 assists in Bundesliga (2nd on par with Muller, lower than Forsberg, higher than Ribery, Robben, Demirbay etc.), had maybe 2 or 3 bad games in whole season of Bundesliga.

Dembele may have the talent, but has absolutely no consistency, that's one big minus from me.

That's probably the weirdest thing I read whole day, he's been their most consistent performer next to Auba and Piszczek...

chelsea8 7 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

@golazo well that's interesting, welcome to the fan club mate and i hope you stick with it :D

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@Croatian I feel like its fair to say most of us don't watch that many German fooball. :(

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Anyone who truly believes that Asensio is better than both Dembele and Mbappe should just stop watching football.

Golazo111

You betrayed our brotherhood! Our fangroup! To go down the bridge. Why!?

But in all seriousness what caused you to support Arsenal rivals weeks after supporting Arsenal?

rayrex7 7 years ago Edited
Real Madrid, Croatia 26 797

@amir
I can't believe you are making a big fuss out of this, your statement clear says that Mbappe and dembele are heads and shoulders above Asensio?!

Asensio has proven himself that he can be in any teams starting 11 including Barca. Dembele is immature with the ball, crazy talented, but immature. Mbappe is an excellent player, flawless, but I'd still pick Asensio over him. Give me a reason why you think Mbappe and Dembele are better than Asensio. I respect your opinion if you think Dembele is better than the two, heck I thought that as well, I saw him play before he went to BvB and I remember stating it here in this forum 2 years back. I said Berrardi, Dembele and Renato were the best youngsters at that moment. After seeing Asensio and Mbappe, I went with those two.

I know that you are no Madrid fan, but respect a player where he has achieved, after his performance against the top dogs, you still think the people who believe Asensio is better doesn't watch football, man thats a cheap shot. You have good insight in football, but that comment wasn't necessary.

@Crotian

Dembele is the more talenetd out of the three, but Asensio is a way better passer than Dembele, the playing style in the Bundeseliga is way different than La liga and Ligue 1. Defenders do not give any space in La liga unlike other leagues, why players like Neymar who if was playing in the BPL, will get kicked out of nowhere. Neymar has already made stats that can be done in a season for some players. He played 2 games and already has 20+ dribbles and 10+ chances created! Thats a season stat my God!

But like I said in terms of dribbling ability, Dembele. Passing, Asensio. Finishing, Mbappe. Well reaching to this point, i just remembered that its pretty tough to compare the 3. each play different roles. Asensio plays CM/CAM, his stats arent impresisve but his contribution is amazing. Dembele is a winger, you should expect good stats because he is a forward. Mbappe is a striker, top 5 in the world.

With Dembele in Barca, lets continue this in a couple months time to judge them, its a bit early now, I want to see more of dembele, especially now playing in la liga

• History

@amir
I can't believe you are making a big fuss out of this, your statement clear says that Mbappe and dembele are heads and shoulders above Asensio?!

Asensio has proven himself that he can be in any teams starting 11 including Barca. Dembele is immature with the ball, crazy talented, but immature. Mbappe is an excellent player, flawless, but I'd still pick Asensio over him. Give me a reason why you think Mbappe and Dembele are better than Asensio. I respect your opinion if you think Dembele is better than the two, heck I thought that as well, I saw him play before he went to BvB and I remember stating it here in this forum 2 years back. I said Berrardi, Dembele and Renato were the best youngsters at that moment. After seeing Asensio and Mbappe, I went with those two.

I know that you are no Madrid fan, but respect a player where he has achieved, after his performance against the top dogs, you still think the people who believe Asensio is better doesn't watch football, man thats a cheap shot. You have good insight in football, but that comment wasn't necessary.

Amerr30 7 years ago Edited

Amir:
I've noticed, for some time now, you having a bias against Real Madrid. That's fine, you're welcome to have an opinion, regardless how flawed. It is an opinion. However, to insult people who are not biased against Real Madrid, or because they disagree with your opinion only highlights your (im)maturity. Try to follow the example of others here, all of whom are older than you.

Crotian & Golazo111:

In the beginning of my post I had mentioned that I have not seen much of him, Now, it is true I partly used that as a reason to say he's not at the level of the other two, and I do think that is also partly justified. But I could be very wrong, that is true. Both of you are saying that he's a fantastic player and I will have to see some more of him before I can either agree or disagree. With him moving to Barca, I suspect I'll develop an opinion soon enough.

Golazo, I never compared all three to Robinho. Only Dembele because both of these players based their game on their dribbling ability. Robinho was an excellent dribbler in lower leagues, at Santos. He started great at Real Madrid. I recall the first touch of his, with his heel he threw the ball over his opponent. It was a great first impression. But then he slowly showed that he was not worth the hype. Maybe he was? The pressure of Real Madrid freezes many players, as does the pressure of any big club. Will he do great at Barcelona? I will base an opinion on how he performs there.

Both Asensio and Mbappe on the other hand have already proven that they do not crumble under pressure. This is a huge advantage to have, and a necessity to make on the big stage. Many players do not have that., especially young ones. Dembele is very young, too young to move to a club like Barcelona. I hope he makes it, but it's not a guarantee.

I do think, based on the little I've seen, that Dembele is a fantastic, amazing talent. It's captivating. However, I simply do not believe that he's at the level of Mbappe and Asensio. We will see. Maybe he is even better.

Dembele's ceiling looks to be higher than both Asensio and Mbappe. However, both of these players have shown that they will reach their ceiling. It's a sure thing, judging by their performances so far. Dembele? Has not quite shown that. That is why I think, at this moment, Asensio and Mbappe are a level above him.

BTW: Fantastic goal. Is that all though? Do you know how many better goals Asensio and Mbappe have scored? That one goal would barely get in the highlight reel of them two.

• History

Amir: I've noticed, for some time now, you having a bias against Real Madrid. That's fine, you're welcome to have an opinion, regardless how flawed. It is an opinion. However, to insult people who are not biased against Real Madrid, or because they disagree with your opinion only highlights your (im)maturity. Try to follow the example of others here, all of whom are older than you.

Crotian & Golazo111:

In the beginning of my post I had mentioned that I have not seen much of him, Now, it is true I partly used that as a reason to say he's not at the level of the other two, and I do think that is also partly justified. But I could be very wrong, that is true. Both of you are saying that he's a fantastic player and I will have to see some more of him before I can either agree or disagree. With him moving to Barca, I suspect I'll develop an opinion soon enough.

Golazo, I never compared all three to Robinho. Only Dembele because both of these players based their game on their dribbling ability. Robinho was an excellent dribbler in lower leagues, at Santos. He started great at Real Madrid. I recall the first touch of his, with his heel he threw the ball over his opponent. It was a great first impression. But then he slowly showed that he was not worth the hype. Maybe he was? The pressure of Real Madrid freezes many players, as does the pressure of any big club. Will he do great at Barcelona? I will base an opinion on how he performs there.

Both Asensio and Mbappe on the other hand have already proven that they do not crumble under pressure. This is a huge advantage to have, and a necessity to make on the big stage. Many players do not have that., especially young ones. Dembele is very young, too young to move to a club like Barcelona. I hope he makes it, but it's not a guarantee.

I do think, based on the little I've seen, that Dembele is a fantastic, amazing talent. It's captivating. However, I simply do not believe that he's at the level of Mbappe and Asensio. We will see. Maybe he is even better.

Dembele's ceiling looks to be higher than both Asensio and Mbappe. However, both of these players have shown that they will reach their ceiling. It's a sure thing, judging by their performances so far. Dembele? Has not quite shown that. That is why I think, at this moment, Asensio and Mbappe are a level above him.

Amir: I've noticed, for some time now, you having a bias against Real Madrid. That's fine, you're welcome to have an opinion, regardless how flawed. It is an opinion. However, to insult people who are not biased against Real Madrid, or because they disagree with your opinion only highlights your (im)maturity. Try to follow the example of others here, all of whom are older than you.

Crotian & Golazo111:

BTW: Fantastic goal. Is that all though? Do you know how many better goals Asensio and Mbappe have scored? That one goal would barely get in the highlight reel of them two.

tiki_taka 7 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

I think its the first time ever i agree with Amerr statement lol. i even gave him +1 XD.

• History

I think its the first time ever i agree on an Amir statement lol.

I think its the first time ever i agree on an Amir statement lol. i even gave him +1 XD.

Golefty 7 years ago
Toronto FC 27 1016

Anyone who truly believes that Asensio is better than both Dembele and Mbappe should just stop watching football

at least have something to back up your Opinion instead of telling people to stop watching football

asensio scored in the ucl final and won the ucl, and la liga, scored magnificently in back to back legs of the suprcopa which was also el classico, has scored in every debut for Madrid in the UEFA Super Cup, La Liga, Champions League, Copa del Rey and now Spanish Super Cup

he was picked regularly over James Rodriguez by Zidane, and for good reason

tiki_taka 7 years ago

A player doesnt need to achieve to size his potential. From his first game played i knew he would be a future BO contender. Ascensio has everything and as I said before, i find the Vasquez-Ascensio-Benzema combianation more fluid and effective than the BBC.
All the away games played with these players as starters were won by more than 3 goals margin ( AWAY ) and Madrid got 10 to 20% more possession. in addition to the fact they all defend, they all keep the ball very well, have great vission and ball control. with Modric/Kroos that makes 5 tiki taka players who deny the ball and make the rival desperate to get any kind of result in the game.

Mbappe is also a crack, Dembele is a level above at the moment, he doesnt do the right move the right time as often as the players he is compared to. But he is a rough Potential, like Neymar was while arriving at Camp Nou. and there is no better place to learn and progress right now. Neymar can thanks Messi/Iniesta for his progression though.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Tiki

Neymar can thanks Messi/Iniesta for his progression though.

And Suarez. Can't even count how many times he gave up an easy finish and passed to Neymar so Ney could stuff the stat sheets.

tiki_taka 7 years ago

^ Yes but helping to score is different from helping to progress in Footballing IQ.

A player could be helped to score easy goals doesnt mean he progressed, Maybe Suarez inspired him in term of finishing and mental.

SunFlash 7 years ago Edited
USA 19 3260

As I sit here and read this thread, I've resisted from commenting because I don't really have anything to add on these three players, I simply don't see them play enough in their leagues, despite watching most of their UCL ties.

However, I'd just like to make a note on the term "potential" which I think you guys are making an error in using. I'd like to blame FIFA for this, but the reality is obviously much more complex. When I worked with Sporting CP's Canadian affiliate and we were looking for youngsters to send to Portugal to try out for their home scouts, potential was used very differently. The basic logic is that a seven-year old who is better than every seven-year old around him will probably have this level of skill continue as his age progresses. That is pretty straightforward, I hope. However the second type of player is a player that showed an excess of a certain type of ability but was restricted from reaching the same skill level as the aforementioned seven-year old by some sort of issue (usually size, which can be expected to even out as kids get older, but also sometimes things like speed, first touch, or mental awareness). The first seven-year old is simply elite. The second has the POTENTIAL to be elite but is restricted from being so by his issue, if it's growth, no problem, if it's something else, specialized training. Either way, if the kid doesn't grow/doesn't take to said training, he is dismissed from the elite category in every way.

I understand that seems cutthroat as f*ck, but Canada isn't exactly high on Sporting's radar. The point is, I see potential very different from the way you guys do. Are these young talents playing in a way that implies their skill level will grow as they become more physically and mentally prepared for the game? Or this there a roadblock that we can or cannot see that will prevent them from keeping this skill level at the gradual incline it is currently on?

On a final note, it is a GRADUAL incline, especially at the elite level. Nobody, not even players who flash onto the scene became "good enough for a first team" in a single day. Marcus Rashford of 2015/16 was just as good as 16/17, he just didn't have the opportunity to showcase his skill (awareness of fans) and grow in a competitive environment that is offered by United's first team (coaching, mostly). This is why the refusal to play young players eats away at me so much, because it's simply impossible to know. Not only that, imagine the INFINITE number of players who were on the level, but had a poor stretch of games when they least needed it - their debuts - and were therefore damned forever to non-league football or retirement?

Potential is not an abstract concept. It is something that can be measured, and often is by scouts. They're often rarely wrong, and when they are, it is usually become unforeseen roadblocks are thrown up, usually by the player themselves.

• History

As I sit here and read this thread, I've resisted from commenting because I don't really have anything to add on these three players, I simply don't see them play enough in their leagues, despite watching most of their UCL ties.

However, I'd just like to make a note on the term "potential" which I think you guys are making an error in using. I'd like to blame FIFA for this, but the reality is obviously much more complex. When I worked with Sporting CP's Canadian affiliate and we were looking for youngsters to send to Portugal to try out for their home scouts, potential was used very differently. The basic logic is that a seven-year old who is better than every seven-year old around him will probably have this level of skill continue as his age progresses. That is pretty straightforward, I hope. However the second type of player is a player that showed an excess of a certain type of ability but was restricted from reaching the same skill level as the aforementioned seven-year old by some sort of issue (usually size, which can be expected to even out as kids get older, but also sometimes things like speed, first touch, or mental awareness). The first seven-year old is simply elite. The second has the POTENTIAL to be elite but is restricted from being so by his issue, if it's growth, no problem, if it's something else, specialized training. Either way, if the kid doesn't grow/doesn't take to said training, he is dismissed from the elite category in every way.

I understand that seems cutthroat as f*ck, but Canada isn't exactly high on Sporting's radar. The point is, I see potential very different from the way you guys do. Are these young talents playing in a way that implies their skill level will grow as they become more physically and mentally prepared for the game? Or this there a roadblock that we can or cannot see that will prevent them from keeping this skill level at the gradual incline it is currently on?

On a final note, it is a GRADUAL incline, especially at the elite level. Nobody, not even plays who flash onto the scene became "good enough for a first team" in a single day. Marcus Rashford of 2015/16 was just as good as 16/17, he just didn't have the opportunity to showcase his skill (awareness of fans) and grow in a competitive environment that is offered by United's first team (coaching, mostly). This is why the refusal to play young players eats away at me so much, because it's simply impossible to know. Not only that, imagine the INFINITE number of players who were on the level, but had a poor stretch of games when they least needed it - their debuts - and were therefore damned forever to non-league football or retirement?

Potential is not an abstract concept. It is something that can be measured, and often is by scouts. They're often rarely wrong, and when they are, it is usually become unforeseen roadblocks are thrown up, usually by the player themselves.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

The first seven-year old is simply elite. The second has the POTENTIAL to be elite

Is it wrong that I imagined Vegeta and Goku from DBZ when you said that. XD

But joking aside, thank you for your experience on the subject sun, very interesting. ;)

@Amerr Doesn't seem like anything I will say will convince you mate, but since were comparing them, won't hurt to bring out some stat into this. Also, before I do that, I'd like to remind that M'bappe is a striker, his position mean he should score more goal than the other.

For their club in the season 2016-17 only:
Player / Age / Goal / Assist /
Asensio / 21 / 6 / 3
Dembele / 20 / 8 / 18
M'bappe / 18 / 21 / 8

Now, don't get me wrong, I do realize Asensio rating isn't as reflectif as it could be as he didn't played as many game as either of the other two. Worse, Dembele is the one who played the most game and yet, he is behind M'bappe in term of combined assist and goal. Still think its speak of his consistency and show he had to deal with more responsability than the other two last season. Technically speaking, I think the three of them are on a similar level but that saying Dembele didn't show anything that is as impressive as the other two did is a bit exagerated. :(

Eden17Hazard17 7 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

Asensio > Mbappe > Dembele

Amerr30 7 years ago Edited

Emobot:

Why must you feel the need to convince me of the greatness of this player, by bringing up stats that are by your admission, so flawed?

The difference between the goals/assists Mbappe and Asensio have with that of Dembele is, for one, the time it took to achieve those numbers. Since you've conceded that, I will not go into it. I will however mention the difference of quality in the teams they've played against. Mbappe shone to the World mostly in Champions League against elite opposition. That is where he made his name, not in Lique 1.

Asensio has been even more impressive because the teams he played against have mostly been of top-top quality. Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern Munich. He scored against every single one of these teams. These three, along with Real Madrid, are without a doubt the best teams in the World. He scored against, every, single, one. He also scored another cracker against Sevilla. But the goals against Juve, and Bayern? He scored those even though he was given merely a cameo towards the end in each game.

Stats are incredibly misleading in this case because, not only did they all play very different amount of minutes, they played against very different quality of opposition, and every single player is different type of a player. All three could start in a single team. Asensio is a midfielder that can play a winger, Dembele is a winger, and Mbappe is a striker. The expectations from these players in terms of stats are very different. Zidane was an amazing player, a legend, but he never racked up a lot of goals. A lot of assists. His contribution was something else. R9 scored more goals. Does that mean R9 was so much better? Come on... It's a novice argument.

I'll reiterate what I said earlier. I believe Dembele possibly has a higher ceiling that both of these players, perhaps not so much than Mbappe. The only reason I don't talk about Dembele in the same light is that he hasn't proven himself 'the way' the other two have. Was he given the chance? Perhaps not. But that is irrelevant.

He will be, now that he's at Barca. We'll see how he does.

@Sun: I see your point, but talking about professional football - where the players are compared to every other player, not only those within their specific age or even age group, is very different. Since the pool of players is much greater, so becomes the etymology.

• History

Emobot:

Why must you feel the need to convince me of the greatness of this player, by bringing up stats that are by your admission, so flawed?

The difference between the goals/assists Mbappe and Asensio have with that of Dembele is, for one, the time it took to achieve those numbers. Since you've conceded that, I will not go into that. I will however mention the difference of quality in the teams they've played against. Mbappe shone to the World mostly in Champions League against elite opposition. That is where he made his name, not in Lique 1.

Asensio has been even more impressive because the teams he played against have mostly been of top-top quality. Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern Munich. He scored against every single one of these teams. These three, along with Real Madrid, are without a doubt the best teams in the World. He scored against, every, single, one. He also scored another cracker against Sevilla. But the goals against Juve, and Bayern? He scored those even though he was given merely a cameo towards the end in each game.

Stats are incredibly misleading in this case because, not only did they all play very different amount of minutes, they played against very different quality of opposition, and every single player is different type of a player. All three could start in a single team. Asensio is a midfielder that can play a winger, Dembele is a winger, and Mbappe is a striker. The expectations from these players in terms of stats are very different. Zidane was an amazing player, a legend, but he never racked up a lot of goals. A lot of assists. His contribution was something else. R9 scored more goals. Does that mean R9 was so much better? Come on... It's a novice argument.

I'll reiterate what I said earlier. I believe Dembele possibly has a higher ceiling that both of these players, perhaps not so much than Mbappe. The only reason I don't talk about Dembele in the same light is that he hasn't proven himself 'the way' the other two have. Was he given the chance? Perhaps not. But that is irrelevant.

Emobot:

The difference between the goals/assists Mbappe and Asensio have with that of Dembele is, for one, the time it took to achieve those numbers. Since you've conceded that, I will not go into that. I will however mention the difference of quality in the teams they've played against. Mbappe shone to the World mostly in Champions League against elite opposition. That is where he made his name, not in Lique 1.

@Sun: I see your point, but talking about professional football - where the players are compared to every other player, not only those within their specific age or even age group, is very different. Since the pool of players is much greater, so becomes the etymology.

Croatian 7 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

@Amer, he scored nice goal against United in preseason, but you should check his crosses, assists etc. especially onr against Leipzig.