Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Comparison polls: Ultimate Edition
Emobot7 7 years ago Edited
538 11435

So, I realized that making comparison poll was pretty succeful and fun to make, so I thought, why do I limit myself to doing only one comparison a thread and why not ask other to join in the fun. So, what I'm proprosing here is to make a thread where we compare similar player with only polls and with the least chit-chat possible. If we wanna discuss a comparison, we make a new thread for it instead. People are welcome to post poll asking other user who they think is the best between:

1. Two player playing in similar position (or area at the very least) and for the same team.
  2. Two player from the same contry and playing in similar position or area of the field.
  3. Two player player from the same league who play in similar position or area of the field.
  4. Two player from different league but with very similar play-style and position.
  5. Two player who play at the same position or area and both played for a specific team at one point.

So remember, only post a brief explanation as to why you are comparing those player (ex: both are winger at Chelsea, both play CB for Germany) and then the poll. Limit discution to a minimum and make other thread if you really want to discuss a comparison and try to compare player wich might be comparable (don't compare young player like Munir to big star like Neymar for exemple) and most of all, have fun! Let's get those poll started! ;D

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

So, I realized that making comparison poll was pretty succeful and fun to make, so I thought, why do I limit myself to doing only one comparison a thread and why not ask other to join in the fun. So, what I'm proprosing here is to make a thread where we compare similar player with only polls and with the least chit-chat possible. If we wanna discuss a comparison, we make a new thread for it instead. People are welcome to post poll asking other user who they think is the best between:

1. Two player playing in similar position (or area at the very least and for the same team.
  2. Two player from the same contry and playing in similar position or area of the field.
  3. Two player player from the same league who play in similar position or area of the field.
  4. Two player from different league but with very similar play-style and position.
  5. Two player who play at the same position or area and both played for a specific team at one point.

So remember, only post a brief explanation as to why you are comparing those player (ex: both are winger at Chelsea, both play CB for Germany) and then the poll. Limit discution to a minimum and make other thread if you really want to discuss a comparison and try to compare player wich might be comparable (don't compare young player like Munir to big star like Neymar for exemple) and more of all, have fun! Let's get those poll started! ;D

1. Two player playing in similar position (or area at the very least) and for the same team.

So remember, only post a brief explanation as to why you are comparing those player (ex: both are winger at Chelsea, both play CB for Germany) and then the poll. Limit discution to a minimum and make other thread if you really want to discuss a comparison and try to compare player wich might be comparable (don't compare young player like Munir to big star like Neymar for exemple) and more of all, have fun! Let's get those poll started! ;D

Comments
Tuanis 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Im starting to lose faith in humanity ( football wise) with some of the results.. What is wrong with you people!?

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

I see a lot of nostalgia voting. I don't think some of the players who are now retired were necessarily better in their primes then currently active players. De Gea and Vander Sar is a good example.

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

DDG may have had 2 or 3 incredible seasons, but he can't be compared to VDS. There is no match in term of results and Palmares. Also the fact DDG was behind Casillas in the national side while VDS is a national Legend.
We should wait until DDG retires to compare both players but right now, there is no match. I don't think people remember how good VDS was eaither... in his prime he was a monster, longest arms ever and very fast.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

I'm not denying Van Der Sar has had a better career. But if I had the choice between De Gea right now and Van Der Sar in his prime, I'd take De Gea. Not slighting Van Der Sar, he was a fantastic keeper, and I'm glad we had him, but he was never top 2-3 in the world like De Gea is.

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Rowley. you might wanna check next time if someone had done that...... You were beaten.
No hate though

Madridista11 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

@SunFlash I think that has to do with how the standards have decreased in the past ten years. If Van Der Sar played in today's game he'd be in the top 3, if not first.

JuanMata10 7 years ago
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

@Tuanis: out of curiosity.. which ones are you referring to?

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

@Madridsta

Attacking standards have increased, defending standards have gone down (literally no opposition to this) over the last ten or so years. By definition, this means that goalkeepers are having to make more saves and play better with less clean sheets.

I do not see why this makes 00's keepers better, in fact it suggests quite the opposite. Nostalgia is really powerful. United 07 team was fantastic, but it prevented me from realizing just how good our team was in 10, 11, 12. It took the shitshow at United over the last few years to actually recognize how good the team was then. When it comes to sports, people almost NEVER think whatever they're seeing now is the "best." Ronaldo and Messi are good counter-examples though.

Madridista11 7 years ago

Hm... That's a good point. I do agree however, nostalgia could be the reason why I'm inclined to like the 2000's. But ask yourself this question: Did the attacking standards increase in the 10's because the defending standards decreased?

Seriously, think about it. Let's round up elite strikers from the last era and today's elite strikers. Then, let's look at who they had to face. We compare the elite goalkeepers then vs now and elite defenders then and now. Wanna know what I think? I think that the game back then was more balanced, teams always had a defensive back that complemented their midfield and front. Today, teams seem to always lack in one aspect of the game.

Another point that I'd like to mention is Zlatan's fine progression from the 00's to the 10's. This guy is 35 and get's better by age, how could this be? Today strikers are having a blast scoring 40+ a season when previously that was an abnormality. That goes back to the point that you're making: Strong offense, weak defense.

So to me, nostalgia isn't playing that big of a role in my view. Today's game is smarter, faster, more technologically advanced, and generally healthier.

Madridista11 7 years ago

@SunFlash Sorry bro, just realized that my lengthy comment had nothing to do with your point (But I think it's a a great discussion for some other time)

But giving it another read, I see what you mean. Goalies are taxed more these days because of poor defending, and that has nothing to do with the quality of today's strikers versus the 00's era. My bad for getting this all mixed up.

Tuanis 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

@JuanMata10

Just to start conversation...

Courtois>De Gea
Busquets>Alonso
Icardi>Dybala
Casemiro>Matuidi
Sterling>Vasquez
The fact that Henry and Drogba are so even..
Terry>Vidic

And basically kids voting for Kante over Makelele or RVP over Van Nistelrooy

The rest I might not agree in some but those are even matches, some shouldn't even be argued imo.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

@Tuanis:

I agree, except:

Courtois>De Gea?? How?

chelsea8 7 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

^ courtois has more cleansheets and has been making outstanding saves, that's how.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

@chelsea: I disagree. (not saying he's not a great goalie).

Have you seen MU's defense the last 5 seasons? If it wasn't for De Gea we would have been fighting for relegation. That's how he diidn't have as much cleansheets.

Wanna see outstanding saves? I bet you a big jar of beer that De Gea had way more since he had to work way more than Courtois

chelsea8 7 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

" last 5 seasons" i'm talking about this season, the past is not relevant to how good he is now.
This season courtois has been in great form and he has been better than ddg in my opinion, courtois made some world class saves this season.

rayrex7 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Croatia 26 797

I am not even going to think. Just like @tuanis said.. This is a complete Joke. This is more of FIFA ratings than their actual skill.
Courtouis > DDG? Courtouis is amazing, but his defenders are one of the best in the world. He would rarely face some shots while DDG is working his ass off for MU.

Busquets > Alonso?? They don't even have the same position. Busquets is more of defending midfielder while Alonso simple commands the entire field. In defending ability, definitely Busquets, but passing goes for Alonso any day. A single pass from him can cut defenses.

Sterling> L. Vasquez?? I am done. Lucas is absolutely sensational. He can do everything, he is average but he does his job and does is right. he is also way more consistent than Sterling. Who in earth is voting??

Iniesta>Modric?? This is hard and debatable. What I think is that Modric is way more consistent than Iniesta but Iniesta is a big game player. You will see his best performances in the most important games. But Modric will perform 110% in all his games. The only reason why most people say Iniesta was better overall cause Modric played half his career in Spurs. Spurs.. While Iniesta played with Xavi in barcelona. That alone takes 50% of the vote. Iniesta is more talented, but Modric is more complete.

JozeMourinho 7 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 18 1254

@SunFlash I somehow knew deep in me you would comment in that poll that I made for UTD keepers.
Van Der Sar is an iconic keeper for football and ManU, what a legend he was and what saves he managed to do.
This guy made me quite sad and pissed but yeah I will always remember this and respect him, because football is not only rivalry it is also mutual respect between teams.

quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

@rayrex7 How is Vazquez better than Sterling? In first sentence you say he is sensational and in the next one that he is average.

quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

I think this may be interesting

rayrex7 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Croatia 26 797

He is sensationally average. He is by far the most simple player. He just does his job effectively and efficiently. Of course Sterling is more talented, but Vasquez is no joke, he just does what he has been told. I am not gonna lie, he isnt one of the best dribblers, passers, crossers, finishers or anything. He doesn't have something that's unique or specializes in anything. But he just yet doesn't disappoint you