Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

"Barcelona and Real Madrid would not dominate in the Premier League"
KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes that giants Barcelona and Real Madrid would not dominate in the Premier League in the same way as they do in La Liga. The Chelsea manager, who won La Liga once in his three year spell at Real Madrid, claims the two clubs would struggle in England because there is too much competition, even from lower league teams in cup competitions.

"I was in Spain, but I didn’t enjoy," he told TalkSPORT. "I didn’t enjoy it because I won a title with a record in Spain with 100 points and 121 goals, but we played only three or four matches all season."

"I lost a title with 92 points, but again we played only four or five matches in the season. “You feel the pressure that you have to win every match because if you don’t you are not champions. You have to win and win and win. But it is a big, big gap between the giants and the others."

"I think the difference between the two leagues [Premier League and La Liga] is huge. Would they [Barcelona or Real Madrid] win the Premier League? Maybe yes. Maybe not."

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/barcelona-and-real-madrid-would-not-dominate-in-the-premier-league-says-chelsea-manager-jose-mourinho-10260077.html

Considering Barcelona average about 1.05 in odds against the average-weaker teams (meaning that the betting sites believe that Barcelona will WIN 19 out of 20 games against that opposition and STILL have a margin of profit return) I think he might be on to something here. Yes, both Barcelona and Real Madrid are way better than the top teams in England. Note, I'm not arguing this very fact. But when teams have "privileges" like Barca or Real (You know what I mean right ;) ) it's not weird that either team win year after year.

Barcelona etc currently have 103-19 in goal-difference (19-0 in the last 5 league matches). and have taken 37 out of 39 points in the last 13.

Meanwhile Chelsea who totally dominates the BPL has taken 27 out of 37 possible points.

What are your thoughts? Would Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate in the BPL or do you agree with Mourinho who actually managed Real for 3 consecutive years?

picture credit:liomessi10

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes that giants Barcelona and Real
Madrid would not dominate in the Premier League in the same way as they
do in La Liga. The Chelsea manager, who won La Liga once in his three year spell at
Real Madrid, claims the two clubs would struggle in England because
there is too much competition, even from lower league teams in cup
competitions.

"I was in Spain, but I didn’t enjoy," he told TalkSPORT.
"I didn’t enjoy it because I won a title with a record in Spain with
100 points and 121 goals, but we played only three or four matches all
season."

"I lost a title with 92 points, but again we played only four or five matches in the season.

“You feel the pressure that you have to win every match because if you
don’t you are not champions. You have to win and win and win. But it is a
big, big gap between the giants and the others."

"I think the difference between the two leagues [Premier League and La
Liga] is huge. Would they [Barcelona or Real Madrid] win the Premier
League? Maybe yes. Maybe not."

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/barcelona-and-real-madrid-would-not-dominate-in-the-premier-league-says-chelsea-manager-jose-mourinho-10260077.html

Considering Barcelona average about 1.05 in odds against the average-weaker teams (meaning that the betting sites believe that Barcelona will WIN 19 out of 20 games against that opposition and STILL have a margin of profit return) I think he might be on to something here. Yes, both Barcelona and Real Madrid are way better than the top teams in England. Note, I'm not arguing this very fact. But when teams have "priviligies" like Barca or Real (You know what I mean right ;) ) it's not weird that either team win year after year.

Barcelona etc currently have 103-19 in goal-difference (19-0 in the last 5 league matches). and have taken 37 out of 39 points in the last 13.

Meanwhile Chelsea who totally dominates the BPL has taken 27 out of 37 possible points.

What are your thoughts? Would Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate in the BPL or do you agree with Mourinho who actually manages Real for 3 consecutive years?

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes that giants Barcelona and Real Madrid would not dominate in the Premier League in the same way as they do in La Liga. The Chelsea manager, who won La Liga once in his three year spell at Real Madrid, claims the two clubs would struggle in England because there is too much competition, even from lower league teams in cup competitions.

"I was in Spain, but I didn’t enjoy," he told TalkSPORT. "I didn’t enjoy it because I won a title with a record in Spain with 100 points and 121 goals, but we played only three or four matches all season."

"I lost a title with 92 points, but again we played only four or five matches in the season. “You feel the pressure that you have to win every match because if you don’t you are not champions. You have to win and win and win. But it is a big, big gap between the giants and the others."

"I think the difference between the two leagues [Premier League and La Liga] is huge. Would they [Barcelona or Real Madrid] win the Premier League? Maybe yes. Maybe not."

Considering Barcelona average about 1.05 in odds against the average-weaker teams (meaning that the betting sites believe that Barcelona will WIN 19 out of 20 games against that opposition and STILL have a margin of profit return) I think he might be on to something here. Yes, both Barcelona and Real Madrid are way better than the top teams in England. Note, I'm not arguing this very fact. But when teams have "priviligies" like Barca or Real (You know what I mean right ;) ) it's not weird that either team win year after year.

What are your thoughts? Would Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate in the BPL or do you agree with Mourinho who actually manages Real for 3 consecutive years?

What are your thoughts? Would Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate in the BPL or do you agree with Mourinho who actually managed Real for 3 consecutive years?

Comments
JohnStark 9 years ago
Barcelona, Kazakhstan 2 151

@KTFFH.. "This year Chelsea has lost points to Burnley, Sunderland and Newcastle.

City has lost points to Crystal Palace, Stoke, Burnley, Hull and West Ham.

Arsenal has lost points to Swansea, Stoke, Sunderland and Leicester

United has lost points to West Bromwich, Swansea, West Ham, Aston Villa, Sunderland, Burnley, Leicester and Stoke.

You see? 11 teams that are far from the top has managed to take points of the top 4. Hm. That makes only 5 teams that has not."

Maybe it is other way around?! For example because, BPL top teams are not strong enough as Barca and RM that is why they loose to bottom teams? Their performance lately in CL and EL only supports that hypothesis.

JohnStark 9 years ago

@Dynastian98 it should be Barca 2015 in CL winner also;) So, it is gona be ESP/ENG 8/4

KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago

Read through the comments in this thread mate. We've gone through this thoroughly already. Most likely it's a combination of them both as RM/Barca ate better than their English counterparts but the lower table teams in La Liga are way worse.

JohnStark 9 years ago

@KTBFFHSWE "way worse" made my day :D
Anyways I did read through thread mate and I can tell that you are just trolling around. Good luck :)

KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago

That's great buddy. Guess you don't get many good days otherwise. You're clearly not contributing to this thread anyways so you move on! bye bye

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I don't believe Atletico are at Chelsea's level. They were superior to Chelsea in 2013-14, but inferior to them in 2014-15. Don't let Atletico's thrashings of Madrid fool you. They happened because Madrid had many key injuries, and Atletico's style perfectly counters Madrid. Barca convincingly beat Atletico in every match they played, even when they were off-form. Chelsea should be able to post an expected victory against Atletico next season if they are to face each other in the CL.

Madridista11 9 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

@Lodatz

You know what really bothers me? When people take some of my words and leave the rest. I won't make it too difficult for you my man just check my comments thoroughly ( 5 or 6 I think). To make it easier for you, I put the 2 that summarize my contribution to this thread.

1- "I agree with Mou. There is a HUGE difference between winning the league and dominating it. Teams in the BPL might not be better than the two giants, but one cannot deny that they do pose a threat to their points tally. In my opinion, out of 10 BPL seasons, Real Madrid and Barcelona would win 6 trophies combined, while Chelsea, City, and Utd will share the remaining. Dominance is when the difference between 2nd and 3rd is 30 points (Barcelona & Valencia, 2012). That ain't never happening in the BPL. 10 points sounds reasonable."

2- "Let's face it guys, the present English is not comparable with last decades English league. Ever since 2012 (After Chelsea's UCL) PL teams have not been the same. In every year, the PL get's its ass handed to it by the Italian, German, and Spanish teams. The truth is bitter. Is it still the most entertaining league? Absolutely. Is it still the strongest? I think no."

As you can see above, I agreed with Mourinho and stated an example from 2012's Liga to support my argument. In the second quote, I just gave my 2 cents on the current state of the PL y'all can agree or disagree if you like. And finally, when you quote me, I wasn't arguing whether or not Liga was the best. I read someone write "Liga is a poor league with two great teams" or something like that. I personally think that liga IS (That means currently for you history lovers) a great league without Madrid/Barcelona.

Take care friend.

tiki_taka 9 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

@Shpalman yeah i remember, very nice read by the way, thats what i pointed by Juve vs Madrid and Barça, they didnt capitulate and gave some good fights pressing high at times, doing some good combinations and playing as a team.
I appreciate the Allegri style of coaches, he looks like Carlo at some points...

shpalman 9 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

@Dynastian,
you sure about that? if Atleti and Chelsea would face each other it would be 50/50 for me, that's also because they both have 2 very cynical coaches beside the 2 good lineups. it would be a tight one with one goal difference imo.

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Shpalman

I don't know which Chelsea we are talking about though. The one in the first half of 2014/15 or the one in the second half. If it's the poor Chelsea we've seen in the second half of 2014/15, then it would be 50/50. But the machine we had seen in the early months of last season was an excellent Chelsea side that I believe would be favorites against Simeone's team. Atletico were inconsistent throughout the entire season. They were good, but not good enough to be contenders for the title.

shpalman 9 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

"I don't know which Chelsea we are talking about though."

haha, that's also true!

SunFlash 9 years ago
USA 19 3260

It's worth pointing out that first-half Chelsea were having the term "treble" thrown around. Not to say they even came close to winning it, but one could argue that without the park the bus tactic they would've beaten PSG and who knows who else.

tiki_taka 9 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

The Chelsea who trashed Everton 3-6 at Goodison park was impressive in first leg, they looked very strong and dominating, but in second leg they looked too sufficient...