Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

"Barcelona and Real Madrid would not dominate in the Premier League"
KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes that giants Barcelona and Real Madrid would not dominate in the Premier League in the same way as they do in La Liga. The Chelsea manager, who won La Liga once in his three year spell at Real Madrid, claims the two clubs would struggle in England because there is too much competition, even from lower league teams in cup competitions.

"I was in Spain, but I didn’t enjoy," he told TalkSPORT. "I didn’t enjoy it because I won a title with a record in Spain with 100 points and 121 goals, but we played only three or four matches all season."

"I lost a title with 92 points, but again we played only four or five matches in the season. “You feel the pressure that you have to win every match because if you don’t you are not champions. You have to win and win and win. But it is a big, big gap between the giants and the others."

"I think the difference between the two leagues [Premier League and La Liga] is huge. Would they [Barcelona or Real Madrid] win the Premier League? Maybe yes. Maybe not."

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/barcelona-and-real-madrid-would-not-dominate-in-the-premier-league-says-chelsea-manager-jose-mourinho-10260077.html

Considering Barcelona average about 1.05 in odds against the average-weaker teams (meaning that the betting sites believe that Barcelona will WIN 19 out of 20 games against that opposition and STILL have a margin of profit return) I think he might be on to something here. Yes, both Barcelona and Real Madrid are way better than the top teams in England. Note, I'm not arguing this very fact. But when teams have "privileges" like Barca or Real (You know what I mean right ;) ) it's not weird that either team win year after year.

Barcelona etc currently have 103-19 in goal-difference (19-0 in the last 5 league matches). and have taken 37 out of 39 points in the last 13.

Meanwhile Chelsea who totally dominates the BPL has taken 27 out of 37 possible points.

What are your thoughts? Would Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate in the BPL or do you agree with Mourinho who actually managed Real for 3 consecutive years?

picture credit:liomessi10

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes that giants Barcelona and Real
Madrid would not dominate in the Premier League in the same way as they
do in La Liga. The Chelsea manager, who won La Liga once in his three year spell at
Real Madrid, claims the two clubs would struggle in England because
there is too much competition, even from lower league teams in cup
competitions.

"I was in Spain, but I didn’t enjoy," he told TalkSPORT.
"I didn’t enjoy it because I won a title with a record in Spain with
100 points and 121 goals, but we played only three or four matches all
season."

"I lost a title with 92 points, but again we played only four or five matches in the season.

“You feel the pressure that you have to win every match because if you
don’t you are not champions. You have to win and win and win. But it is a
big, big gap between the giants and the others."

"I think the difference between the two leagues [Premier League and La
Liga] is huge. Would they [Barcelona or Real Madrid] win the Premier
League? Maybe yes. Maybe not."

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/barcelona-and-real-madrid-would-not-dominate-in-the-premier-league-says-chelsea-manager-jose-mourinho-10260077.html

Considering Barcelona average about 1.05 in odds against the average-weaker teams (meaning that the betting sites believe that Barcelona will WIN 19 out of 20 games against that opposition and STILL have a margin of profit return) I think he might be on to something here. Yes, both Barcelona and Real Madrid are way better than the top teams in England. Note, I'm not arguing this very fact. But when teams have "priviligies" like Barca or Real (You know what I mean right ;) ) it's not weird that either team win year after year.

Barcelona etc currently have 103-19 in goal-difference (19-0 in the last 5 league matches). and have taken 37 out of 39 points in the last 13.

Meanwhile Chelsea who totally dominates the BPL has taken 27 out of 37 possible points.

What are your thoughts? Would Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate in the BPL or do you agree with Mourinho who actually manages Real for 3 consecutive years?

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes that giants Barcelona and Real Madrid would not dominate in the Premier League in the same way as they do in La Liga. The Chelsea manager, who won La Liga once in his three year spell at Real Madrid, claims the two clubs would struggle in England because there is too much competition, even from lower league teams in cup competitions.

"I was in Spain, but I didn’t enjoy," he told TalkSPORT. "I didn’t enjoy it because I won a title with a record in Spain with 100 points and 121 goals, but we played only three or four matches all season."

"I lost a title with 92 points, but again we played only four or five matches in the season. “You feel the pressure that you have to win every match because if you don’t you are not champions. You have to win and win and win. But it is a big, big gap between the giants and the others."

"I think the difference between the two leagues [Premier League and La Liga] is huge. Would they [Barcelona or Real Madrid] win the Premier League? Maybe yes. Maybe not."

Considering Barcelona average about 1.05 in odds against the average-weaker teams (meaning that the betting sites believe that Barcelona will WIN 19 out of 20 games against that opposition and STILL have a margin of profit return) I think he might be on to something here. Yes, both Barcelona and Real Madrid are way better than the top teams in England. Note, I'm not arguing this very fact. But when teams have "priviligies" like Barca or Real (You know what I mean right ;) ) it's not weird that either team win year after year.

What are your thoughts? Would Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate in the BPL or do you agree with Mourinho who actually manages Real for 3 consecutive years?

What are your thoughts? Would Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate in the BPL or do you agree with Mourinho who actually managed Real for 3 consecutive years?

Comments
Eden17Hazard17 9 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

Last year I think in the Europa League Swansea wrecked Valencia

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Quikzyyy

Most definitely. Have you watched Valencia this season? They are impeccably organized, tough to break down, fluent in attack, and a ridiculously talented squad. United can hardly string together 15 passes in a row. Valencia have almost completed the sweep against Real Madrid this season with a 2-2 draw in the Bernabeu and a 2-1 victory in the Mestalla. I've watched both United and Valencia, and Valencia are definitely better this season.

@Eden

Their whole roster and manager has been changed. They are a considerably different team this season. Their sharp increase in strength is comparable to Liverpool sharp decline in strength.

tiki_taka 9 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

@KTBFFH You seem to trust Mou blindly, i dont.

About Ronaldo : he said that he is the best player in the world, 1 year after, when he lost half of Madrid dressing room, what did he said ? the real Ronaldo is phenomeno or something like this...

Mourinho is a communication master, there is a Huge gap between what he wants people to think, and what he thinks himself...

He will sign fom Spain you will see, i think he is absolutely aware of the actual situation, when he played PSG with caution he knew that there was no superiority of squad, while with Madrid he would have trashed them without blinking...

Think what you want to think, in direct confrontations English teams sucks, German and Italian did better lately im not saying they are better but the Spanish ones are definitely better unless you are blind...

KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago Edited

Valencia > United. Just No. And you seem to exagerate how good Sevilla are as well..

About the competativness in the EPL..

This year Chelsea has lost points to Burnley, Sunderland and Newcastle.

City has lost points to Crystal Palace, Stoke, Burnley, Hull and West Ham.

Arsenal has lost points to Swansea, Stoke, Sunderland and Leicester

United has lost points to West Bromwich, Swansea, West Ham, Aston Villa, Sunderland, Burnley, Leicester and Stoke.

You see? 11 teams that are far from the top has managed to take points of the top 4. Hm. That makes only 5 teams that has not.

Am any of those teams ashamed of that fact? Absolutely not. This is the EPL and to win every game is NOT expected. Only glory supporters expect their team to win every game and only glory supporters boo their team and its players after having lost ONE game. So Chelsea are not a real *winners because we've lost games to mid table teams? Look at the other top teams in the EPL.. Remember this is the EPL and not La Liga where a 6-0 score is to be expected. In fact, the top teams average goals scored are far far less against lower-table teams in the EPL than corresponding in La Liga.

Anyways, so the general opinion here is that Mourinho is wrong in his statement? Simply because you support a team in La Liga?

I'd
say top 3 is much better in La Liga but 4-20 are way worse. But that's only my estimated opinion. I do know that EPL is fairly week at the moment still and honestly speaking English teams have been beaten fair and square in the international cups but this is not about that.. There is noway in hell that Barca would have 103-19 in goal difference in EPL even with one of the most amazing attacking trio ever. Just. No. Way. Absolutely not. So where does that leave us?

• History

Valencia > United. Just No. And you seem to exagerate how good Sevilla are as well..

About the competativness in the EPL..

This year Chelsea has lost points to Burnley, Sunderland and Newcastle.

City has lost points to Crystal Palace, Stoke, Burnley, Hull and West Ham.

Arsenal has lost points to Swansea, Stoke, Sunderland and Leicester

United has lost points to West Bromwich, Swansea, West Ham, Aston Villa, Sunderland, Burnley, Leicester and Stoke.

You see? 11 teams that are far from the top has managed to take points of the top 4. Hm. That makes only 5 teams that has not.

Am any of those teams ashamed of that fact? Absolutely not. This is the EPL and to win every game is NOT expected. Only glory supports expect their team to win every game and only glory supporters boo their team and its players after having lost ONE game. So Chelsea are not a real *winners because we've lost games to mid table teams? Look at the other top teams in the EPL.. Remember this is the EPL and not La Liga where a 6-0 score is to be expected. In fact, the top teams average goals scored are far far less against lower-table teams in the EPL than corresponding in La Liga.

Anyways, so the general opinion here is that Mourinho is wrong in his statement? Simply because you support a team in La Liga?

I'd
say top 3 is much better in La Liga but 4-20 are way worse. But that's only my estimated opinion. I do know that EPL is fairly week at the moment still and honestly speaking English teams have been beaten fair and square in the international cups but this is not about that.. There is no
way in hell that Barca would have 103-19 in goal difference in EPL even
with one of the most amazing attacking trio ever. Just. No. Way.
Absolutely not. So where does that leave us?

KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago

For sure Mourinho will sign from Spain. Antoine Griezmann is the latest rumour.. but we'll see about that. He's Frenchman though isn't he?

tiki_taka 9 years ago

Developed in Spain since 16 yo, he wasnt accepted in any ligue 1 formation center, because he wasnt big enough at his age, he went to Sociedad and graduated there. I hope Atletico will keep it...

Valencia is playing CL next year and will be in pot 4 :) so they will surely get an English team in their group, it will be funny or shocking for some when they will win in England, we will comeback on this thread later, we will see if they are not that strong...

So'tom gave Aston Villa 6-1 and Sunderland 8-0, Man City gave Newcastle 5-0 quens Park 6-0, sunderland and Stoke 4-1, 3-0 to So'ton, WBA and Crystal palace...
Those 2 attacks doesnt have the same strikeforce of Madrid and Barça attacks nor the consistence, i think people just look to Barça and Real big scores to make a league opinion, they forget that they are much stronger than City or other big teams, Barça and Real Madrid plays in PL they will have big scores to, Madrid scored 3 in 45 minutes vs Liverpool at Anfield, Barça scored 2 goals in 20 minutes at Etihad Stadium, i dont even want to see what they could do to QPR or Sunderland that would be like playing Tennis Vs the wall.

tiki_taka 9 years ago

Barça have lost points from Celta Vigo, Sociedad, Getafe, Malaga...
Madrid had lost points from Villareal, Bilbao, Real Sociedad...

When Barça and Madrid loose to those teams, people doesnt say its the opposition strenght even if they give a great fight and they got a deserved win or draw, but Barça and Madrid has a strikeforce that makes them win any games and those games are seen as lack of consistence...

When i see Arsenal loosing to Swansea for example, i dont praise Swansea after the game or claim they are a strong team, because its not really the case...
This is the main problem, you see big table teams being inconsistent and poor offensively or defensively for some, and you conclude that the opposition is strong, while a team like Everton full squad lost to Dynamo Kiev 4-1 in Ukraine and only were able to beat them in England with a last minute PK (2-1), is a team like Everton the threat that you are talking about ?

KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago

old table^. ill reply further tmrw!

Madridista11 9 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

LOOOOOOOL @ you fools!

Why the sensitivity? This is NOT a BPL vs La Liga debate, so why are we crying about that? This thread is simply asking whether or not RM and Barca would dominate in the English. A simple question needs a simple answer.

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Madridista11

The whole purpose of this thread was to revive the ESP-ENG argument anyways. It's very obvious if you've seen KTB's previous comments on older threads.

tiki_taka 9 years ago

I think the real question is '' why not ? '' the question itself is a little stupid, its ignoring the fact that those teams dominate also in CL where the level is much higher than PL or any league...
Why would Leicester or West Ham harder than Basel or Ajax ? Hype doesnt win you games...

AlexBatak 9 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

Simple Answer: No. Not a chance.

Dynastian98 9 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Tiki

Exactly. It's not like these teams don't dominate the CL as well. When Madrid lost to Schalke, they were losing in the league as well. When Barca lost to Atletico last season, they lost 2-1 on aggregate and Atletico ended up being the La Liga champions and CL finalists anyways. Madrid lost to Juventus 3-2 (one goal margin), and Juve have the possibility of completing the treble. Barca have also previously lost to PSG, who have been French champions for three years running. You have your occasional loss against Ajax or Celtic, which exists in La Liga too, but the CL opponents are overall more difficult than La Liga opponents, and Madrid/Barca still dominate.

I believe it's Madrid's 5th season in a row in the semi-finals, and Barca had just lost a 6+ season-in-a-row semi-final streak to Atletico last season, only to end up in the final for the 4th time in 10 years...

• History

@Tiki

Exactly. It's not like these teams don't dominate the CL as well. When Madrid lost to Schalke, they were losing in the league as well. When Barca lost to Atletico last season, they lost 2-1 on aggregate and Atletico ended up being the La Liga champions and CL finalists anyways. Madrid lost to Juventus 3-2 (one goal margin), and Juve have the possibility of completing the treble. Barca have also previously lost to PSG, who have been French champions for three years running. You have your occasional loss against Ajax or Celtic, which exists in La Liga too, but the CL opponents are overall more difficult than La Liga opponents, and Madrid/Barca still dominate.

@Tiki

I believe it's Madrid's 5th season in a row in the semi-finals, and Barca had just lost a 6+ season-in-a-row semi-final streak to Atletico last season, only to end up in the final for the 4th time in 9 years...

Emrecan_58 9 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

Here is my answer for whole the situation going on here:

EPL - La Liga combined

1- Barcelona
2- Real Madrid
3- Chelsea
4- Man City
5- Atletico Madrid
6- Arsenal
7- Sevilla
8- Valencia / Man United
10- Villarreal / Liverpool
12- Tottenham
13- Bilbao
14- Southampton
15- Everton
16- Malaga
17- Swansea
18- Espanyol / Stoke
20- West Ham
21- Celta Vigo
22- Crystal Palace / WBA / Vallecano
25- Leicester
26- Sociedad
27- Hull City
29- Elche / Getafe
30- Deportivo / Levante
32- Sunderland / Newcastle
34- Aston Villa
35- Granada
36- Burnley / Almeria / QPR
39- Eibar
40- Cordoba

KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago

Burnley and QPR are way better than Almeria. Burnley beat City once and drew once this season, they drew against Chelsea and Tottenham and beat Southampton.. QPR meanwhile has only had one game in where they lost with more than two goals, thus they've been close to winning or at least drawing numerous times. What has Almeria done? They took 1 point from Villareal..

Man United are better than Valencia as well. Valencia who recently failed to win against Celta De Vigo and Rayo Vallecano would be no match for United.

Barca and Real would most likely win the EPL but definatively not dominate it as they do in La Liga.

KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago

@tiki "This is the main problem, you see big table teams being inconsistent and
poor offensively or defensively for some, and you conclude that the
opposition is strong" - and you do exactly the opposite of that. Ever considered the possibility that they are competative and strong?

Anyways, back to the topic; what do you think about this?: "I didn’t enjoy it because I won a title with a record in Spain with 100
points and 121 goals, but we played only three or four matches all
season." Has Mourinho got a point or no?

Tuanis 9 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Simple. If the Question is if they would win it, the answer is yes, Madrid would have it rough but could probably win it. If the question is if they would dominate it, then no.

Also, comparing CL with a league is nonsense. If they were the same and a good comparison to deal with this topic then why almost never do we see a team winning the league and the CL the same season? Anyways...

RM isn't as good as people think, and this Barcelona could be a contender to win any league of the past 10 years for sure. There is no point in keeping this argument when EPL right now is one of the worst Ive ever seen.

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Tuanis

"RM isn't as good as people think"

• And yet they find themselves only 4 points behind Barcelona in the league, and losing the CL semifinals by 1 goal...

Emrecan_58 9 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

@KTBFFHSWE

*"Burnley and QPR are way better than Almeria. Burnley beat City once and drew once this season, they drew against Chelsea and Tottenham and beat Southam*pton.."

Things don't work that way mate. Burnley may have beat City or got points from some top clubs but they obviously failed to do the same against lower teams. Some teams get more prepared for the big games and lose most of the others.

*"QPR meanwhile has only had one game in where they lost with more than two goals, thus they've been close to winning or at least drawing *numerous times."

That is not true. They have lost many games conceding more than 2 goals. And they have not been close to winning many times. Yet, they were close to drawing, just like most of the other teams in the world.

*"Man United are better than Valencia as well. Valencia who recently failed to win against Celta De Vigo and Rayo Vallecano would be no match for Unit*ed. "

You can't judge the team only with the recent two games. Valencia has been amazing this season.

By the way I made my standings considering this two league teams' potential games and results to eachother. My opinions clearly. So Almeria may not have got much points from the top teams but they could very well get points from the lower teams.

raimondo90 9 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

KTB what exactly is his point? That he did incredibly well with two statistics? From those 121 goals, 46 were from Ronaldo and 22 and 21 from Higuain and Benzema respectibly. Thats 89 goals from 3 players. Much like MSN this season.

Mou didnt enjoy his time in spain because he was torn apart by the media because of his personality. Also, his record at Real is below his "expected" record. from 2010-13 only 3 trophies. When at Inter he achieved 5 trophies from 2008-10 and 6 trophies at Chelsea from 2004-07.