Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

What league is the best in the world ?
Marcus2011 10 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

After Balon D'or award ceremony I noticed, so many written articles and news stories hailing two leagues , German and Spanish , but constantly throwing dirt at English league as worst of the three. These claims have been backed by FIFA Worlds best 11 and yes unfortunately not a single EPL player made the final lineup. If I am not mistaken last two players who were on that list was John Terry and Wayne Rooney and it was back in 2011 and 2010. (Please correct me if i am wrong). So does line up of FIFA Worlds Best 11 is enough to justify the quality of the particular league in accordance with number of players that made to that list from that league?

Let's settle this once and for all at least in footyroom. Which is the best league at the moment and why? What main factors make that league best? Please, bring smart strong arguments and please do not offend each other. I believe we can be intelligent and polite to carry a discussion and argument on this topic with each other.

Comments
GunnerAFC 10 years ago
Arsenal, England 47 1026

The EPL is the most entertaining, that's for sure.

The best run league are the efficient Germans.

The Spanish are also very entertaining but not as much as the English I don't think.

Zakzook 10 years ago
Arsenal, Syria 32 785

It's because of the system that picks the players...

tiki_taka 10 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

The most intertaining one actually is EPL.
For the rest, each of the 3 Leagues (Bundesliga,EPL and Liga) have their specificities, their positive and negative points.
Really hard to choose a general winner, best of what ? Intensity ? Speed ? Competition ? Tactics.....
Each league have their positive points but those are my top 3.
I would put Calcio as 4th.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

The most intertaining one actually is EPL.
For the rest, each of the 3 Leagues (Bundesliga,EPL and Liga) have their specifisities, their positive and negative points.
Really hard to choose a general winner, best of what ? Intensity ? Speed ? Competition ? Tactics.....
Each league have their positive points but those are my top 3.
I would put Calcio as 4th.

tdot2barca 10 years ago
Assyriska FF, Brazil 35 956

The MLS.

mladen 10 years ago
Manchester United, Yugoslavia 253 2319

easy question.

Dephased 10 years ago
Arsenal, United States 12 501

Premier League obviously, then followed up by the bundesliga. La Liga/Calcio ties at 3rd and the Championship at fourth.

AlexBatak 10 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

This.

Dynastian98 10 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Depends what you mean by "best".

If you're talking about strength overall that is distributed within the league, then certainly it is the EPL. No other league has such a lethal Top 9.

If you're talking about "most entertaining", then it is merely opinionated. Basically, whichever one you prefer.

If you're talking about the league that contains a team that is better than anyone, I would say the Bundesliga, because Bayern make just about any league look inferior.

If you're talking about the league that has the best teams in comparison to their annual earnings, it is certainly La Liga. RM and Barca excluded, the remaining teams are running a budget the width of a shoe-string. The amount of talent they garner with that budget is nothing short of outstanding.

Hope you agree. :)

SoccerBoss 10 years ago
Barcelona, Russia 34 804

Matters what team(s) you support. Lets say you support Athletico Madrid and when you watch Athletico vs. Madrid you could say that is the most entertaining game in your life. And then you watch Crystal Palace vs Cardiff City and you start sleeping in the middle of the game because they are not interesting for you. Either way I will admit that the EPL probably has the most competition and then comes La Liga followed by the Bundesliga.

Lodatz 10 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

@Dynast: the thing about going by which league has the best team, is that changes. Sure, Bayern are currently the best in the world. That doesn't mean their league is good, though; in fact the gulf between them and the rest of the league is a negative indicator of the league's strength. That's merely asking who the best team is.

Similarly, one could argue that having the best players makes the best league, which does sound plausible. In that respect, La Liga would win, because it has both Messi and Ronaldo in it. But, again, that's not the strength of the league being measured. It's just asking who the best players are, and the two best in the world happen to be in Spain.

In terms of the LEAGUE... there's only one winner, even though tastes are subjective. The sheer amount of talent, and balance, distributed amongst the top 7 or 8 teams in the PL outweighs ANYTHING that any other league can offer.

That's a measure of the league, not simply one team, or a couple of players, no?

Dephased 10 years ago
Arsenal, United States 12 501

Crystal Palace vs Cardiff isnt boring? Try watching it before you judge it.

Marcus2011 10 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

This thread is not just to decide which is the best league but also draw our attention to other leagues . I personally started recently watching more Bundesliga matches and to be honest not quiet loving yet but I enjoyed it .

As far as the best league at the moment , I think hands down EPL . Past year we saw 8 encounters between Bundesliga top 4 and EPL top 4 in Champions League group stage and result was 6 wins for EPL away and home and 2 wins for Bundesliga ( 1 win for Dortmund that can be argued ) . EPL top 4 not falling behind in quality to any other top 4 in other leagues , but in fact superior overall . This is also during transition in EPL . Also I can think of 3 teams in Europe that really better than EPL top 4 and out of those 3 , two of them are in La Liga and 1 in Bundesliga .

This draws another point . Bayern , Barcelona and Real Madrid are taking the lion share of TV money in their leagues and sponsorship money . They buy best players and eliminate competition in their Domestic league . Bundesliga season is over because we all know Bayern won it with 7 point gap and Dortmund loosing it is best players either to Bayern or to injuries . La Liga still to be decided between 3 richest clubs but few slips from any team in top 3 and that team will find themselves out of the race . EPL still in process between 7 clubs and even if one big club looses this week it does not mean they are out of the race .

Back to money financial aspect . Every EPL team fights hard for every position in the league because that matters at end of season when money will be distributed . EPL TV money distribution is very fair and does not create very huge gap between winner of the league and relegated team . That is why most EPL teams make it to the top 20 richest clubs in the world , but they are only few teams who can compete with top 3 European teams in transfer market ( excluding other new rich clubs like PSG and Monaco ) . However , EPL teams still competitive in transfer market but not if they want to get best of the best . It has been a while since real proved quality player has came to England. The recent one was Ozil which is just amazing how such proven player was given away at such price. That now Real Madrid regret it big .

Imagine if Messi was playing in United , I bet Real Madrid or Barcelona would have bought him by now just like they bought Bale , Ronaldo , Michael Owen , Beckham , Van Nisterloy , Thiery Henry and etc best players of EPL over the past decade . Soon Suarez will probably leave as well for big money , maybe Eden Hazard, Januzaj one day if he develops into world class ( i am sure he will ) and etc players if big money offers come . Even though EPL looses it is best player , clubs still perform well in Champions League due the financial stability that allows replace those best players with few good players . For example ; Spurs they sold Bale for 100 million and about several players to improve squad . Another prove to the performance of the EPL teams in domestic and Europe is just a year ago EPL Team was CL holder , also recently Europa League holder . So rating the league based on the quality of players is little unfair because this is the team sport .

Also EPL club plays at one point in 4 competition like it happened to Chelsea once . Other then EPL, Chelsea was in League cup , FA Cup and Champions League . You have to have a strong and big squad to go through such a hectic season . EPL Has no Christmas break . It is just immense work load for players . Players who also have to leave for international duties and to always keep top level is very difficult .

So to highlight quickly few strong factors and i think they are facts on why EPL is best .

1. Financial stability and prosperity

2. Competitiveness in EPL and CL

3. Intensity of the season for english clubs is very high .

This last paragraph is Purely my taste and my opinion : I just enjoy the physicality , speed and direct football EPL teams play . It is non stop from one end to another end of the pitch football match . It really is like watching Champions league every week . Big matches always keep me at edge of my sit . Excitement , derbies , and rivalries , fans and atmosphere . Just great . I would not say EPL fans are loudest and best but they give little taste . As far as best fan atmosphere in Europe , hands down will be Bundesliga and Turkish Super Ligue .

Just to let everyone know : I lived in England but I am not Englishman . So telling me I chose EPL because I am Englishman does not apply in my case .

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

This thread is not just to decide which is the best league but also draw our attention to other leagues . I personally started recently watching more Bundesliga matches and to be honest not quiet loving yet but I enjoyed it .

As far as the best league at the moment , I think hands down EPL . Past year we saw 8 encounters between Bundesliga top 4 and EPL top 4 in Champions League group stage and result was 6 wins for EPL away and home and 2 wins for Bundesliga ( 1 win for Dortmund that can be argued ) . EPL top 4 not falling behind in quality to any other top 4 in other leagues , but in fact superior overall . This is also during transition in EPL . Also I can think of 3 teams in Europe that really better than EPL top 4 and out of those 3 , two of them are in La Liga and 1 in Bundesliga .

This draws another point . Bayern , Barcelona and Real Madrid are taking the lion share of TV money in their leagues and sponsorship money . They buy best players and eliminate competition in their Domestic league . Bundesliga season is over because we all know Bayern won it with 7 point gap and Dortmund loosing it is best players either to Bayern or to injuries . La Liga still to be decided between 3 richest clubs but few slips from any team in top 3 and that team will find themselves out of the race . EPL still in process between 7 clubs and even if one big club looses this week it does not mean they are out of the race .

Back to money financial aspect . Every EPL team fights hard for every position in the league because that matters at end of season when money will be distributed . EPL TV money distribution is very fair and does not create very huge gap between winner of the league and relegated team . That is why most EPL teams make it to the top 20 richest clubs in the world , but they are only few teams who can compete with top 3 European teams in transfer market ( excluding other new rich clubs like PSG and Monaco ) . However , EPL teams still competitive in transfer market but not if they want to get best of the best . It has been a while since real proved quality player has came to England. The recent one was Ozil which is just amazing how such proven player was given away at such price. That now Real Madrid regret it big .

Imagine if Messi was playing in United , I bet Real Madrid or Barcelona would have bought him by now just like they bought Bale , Ronaldo , Michael Owen , Beckham , Van Nisterloy , Thiery Henry and etc best players of EPL over the past decade . Soon Suarez will probably leave as well for big money , maybe Eden Hazard, Januzaj one day if he develops into world class ( i am sure he will ) and etc players if big money offers come . Even though EPL looses it is best player , clubs still perform well in Champions League due the financial stability that allows replace those best players with few good players . For example ; Spurs they sold Bale for 100 million and about several players to improve squad . Another prove to the performance of the EPL teams in domestic and Europe is just a year ago EPL Team was CL holder , also recently Europa League holder . So rating the league based on the quality of players is little unfair because this is the team sport .

Also EPL club plays at one point in 4 competition like it happened to Chelsea once . Other then EPL, Chelsea was in League cup , FA Cup and Champions League . You have to have a strong and big squad to go through such a hectic season . EPL Has no Christmas break . It is just immense work load for players . Players who also have to leave for international duties and to always keep top level is very difficult .

So to highlight quickly few strong factors and i think they are facts on why EPL is best .

1. Competitiveness in EPL and CL

2. Financial prosperity of the league

3. Intensity of the season for english clubs is very high .

This last paragraph is Purely my taste and my opinion : I just enjoy the physicality , speed and direct football EPL teams play . It is non stop from one end to another end of the pitch football match . It really is like watching Champions league every week . Big matches always keep me at edge of my sit . Excitement , derbies , and rivalries , fans and atmosphere . Just great . I would not say EPL fans are loudest and best but they give little taste . As far as best fan atmosphere in Europe , hands down will be Bundesliga and Turkish Super Ligue .

Just to let everyone know : I lived in England but I am not Englishman . So telling me I chose EPL because I am Englishman does not apply in my case .

expertfootball11 10 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

Where is knibis? Nowhere?

ramaboy10 10 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

EPL

Tuanis 10 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Just a comparisson according to league standings.

Arsenal < Barcelona
Manchester City = Real Madrid
Chelsea = Atletico Madrid
Liverpool > Athletic Bilbao
Everton > Villarreal
Tottenham Hotspur > R. Sociedad
Manchester United > Sevilla
Newcastle United > Valencia
Southampton > Granada
Hull City < Levante
Aston Villa = Getafe
Norwich City = Espanyol
Stoke City < Malaga
Swansea City > Elche
West Bromwich Albion > Osasuna
Crystal Palace > Celta
Fulham > Almeria
West Ham United > Valledolid
Sunderland = Vallecano
Cardiff City < Betis

1st EPL, 2nd Bundesliga, 3rd La Liga, 4th Serie A

fabryi 10 years ago
Arsenal 37 727

Tuanis that's one of the most stupidest comparison I ever seen.

Wolfie 10 years ago
Inter, Germany 94 1844

1: BPL. 2: Serie A 3: La Liga 4: Bundesliga.

COYSPURS2008 10 years ago
76 540

There really isn't an answer. its all up to opinion, you might think a league is the best for quality of play, or another league because it has multiple challengers to a title, or another cause there fans are the best. There really can't be an answer cause every football fan desires something different in a league.

tiki_taka 4 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

As i always said, a table gap does never prove a lack of quality, the lack of some clubs récognition just because you got an unstoppable team in the league was clear, at least for some of us.

A tight table with a « fragile « leader do not show any league strenght eather....

It was so hard to explain, no its not even something we would debate on suddently.

Liverpool form is Madrid/Barca form for almost a decade. Once you get a winning formula and the hunger, you just cant loose to smallet teams... now reds sonce they amready won should replicate same motivation next year, what City and Chelsea failed to do each season they were crowned...

The odds of liverpool at home in PL is less than 1.10, doesnt mean they are facing an amator team....

tuan_jinn 4 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

There should be category for:

• Most competitive
  • Most entertaining (based on audiences etc...)
  • Best league (this uses European's cups coefficient points)