Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Ronaldo Ties/Breaks Raul's Goal-scoring Records for Real Madrid and Scores His 500th Goal
Dynastian98 9 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

Well, technically not yet. But he's hit 323, the same number of goals as Raul, and has a far better goal-to-game ratio. Raul took 741 games and 16 seasons to reach that tally, and Ronaldo took 308 games and just over 6 seasons to reach the same number of goals. I suspect he will break the record in the next game or two.

What he did break, though, was Raul's all-time scoring record for Real in the Champions League. Raul had 66 goals with Real, and Ronaldo now has 67. Ronaldo has also scored his 500th goal in all competitions tonight with his first against Malmo.

**EDIT::

Here is Real Madrid's honorary video celebrating Cristiano's historic achievement.**

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Well, technically not yet. But he's hit 323, the same number of goals as Raul, and has a far better goal-to-game ratio. Raul took 741 games and 16 seasons to reach that tally, and Ronaldo took 308 games and just over 6 seasons to reach the same number of goals. I suspect he will break the record in the next game or two.

What he did break, though, was Raul's all-time scoring record for Real in the Champions League. Raul had 66 goals with Real, and Ronaldo now has 67. Ronaldo has also scored his 500th goal in all competitions tonight with his first against Malmo.

Comments
chelsea8 9 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

@tiki i'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but lol rauls team was the best, maybe even the best in football history.

casillas, salgado, roberto carlos, fernando hierro, zinedine zidane, Raul Gonzalez, luis figo, ronaldo Phenomeno, cambiasso, makelele.

rayrex7 9 years ago
Real Madrid, Croatia 26 797

@wolfie and @tiki Mate are you serious. You are actually comparing this Real madrid with the previous. Aside of Ronaldo, Modric and Marcelo. I can't even imagine these two teams to be even compared.

With all the respect to you @wolfie but Ronaldo scored tons of important goals, just think about it, since when have we ever been so picky in goals until Ronaldo and Messi came. Players get praised so much when they score a goal in any way. Now since Ronaldo is scoring to a point which is endless, you start to "divide" his scoring capability. Do you even Watch Raul play live? I bet most of you didn't, he was praised as a legend cause he was a profilic striker. Simple as that. Ronaldo's looks and arrogance is the huge and main downfall in his career as both a person and a player. Remove those two and he will be regarded as a player of the century.

Like sunflash said, Barcelona before pep were a bit weaker and not much as contender for la liga than Barcelona with Pep. Raul scored 15 goals against Barca while Ronaldo scored 13(in much fewer games)
Plus What do you even mean by only scoring goals against teams like Almeria
He scored 5 against espanyol away, a team that is without a doubt in the top 5 teams in la liga when plaing away.
We drew against Sporting, 0-0 a team that just got promoted

What I'm saying is judging a players goal against certain opposition f*ckin absurd. Does that mean Agueros hattrick against neuer was better than Ronaldo's and Messi's brace? No! A team can be weak for the whole year but can turn into a Champions league contender in a single match, its all about team mentality and form. Real madrid vs malaga is a good example, both Ronaldo and benzema could have scored a hattrick each if the keeper was being his usual self, but FFS kameni turned into an absolute beast that game, he made saves i couldnt even imagine.

I know i'm being biased may sound impudent, but give the guy a break and show a bit of compassion would ya :)

tiki_taka 9 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Im talking about Del Bosque's one not the galacticos when Raul was the main forward and scored the most...

Amerr30 9 years ago Edited
Real Madrid, Bosnia-Herzegovina 56 616

Anyone with a nerve to say Raul was a better play than Ronaldo is either a hater, deluded, or simply has no real understanding of football. Another possible explanation is that he is uninformed. Could be trolling also.

In any case, I won't even entertain such a comment and/or respond in any serious manner.

It's simply ridiculous.

• History

Anyone that could say Raul was a better play than Ronaldo is either a hater, deluded, or simply has no real understanding of football. Another possible explanation is that he is uninformed. Could be trolling also.

In any case, I won't even entertain such a comment and/or respond in any serious manner.

tiki_taka 9 years ago

I didnt say so, just stating that the actual Madrid is better than th eone in the picture i posted. Ronaldo is better but Raul was something too, not the off form one at 25 yo, the young one was gold.

Sure, he was pretty good. To attribute all the success that we've had during Raul's peak years only to Raul is incredibly short-sighted, if not down right stupid.

The most important goals were scored by Zidane, Ronaldo, and Raul methinks.

However, if I was to attribute the success we've had to a few players, the most important cogs for me were: Zidane, Makalele, and Casillas.

• History

Sure, he was pretty good. To attribute all the success that we've had during Raul's peak years only to Raul is incredibly short-sighted, if not down right stupid.

The most important goals were scored by Zidane, Ronaldo, and Raul methinks.

However, if I was to attribute the success we've had to a few players, it would be Zidane, Makalele, and Casillas.

tiki_taka 9 years ago

Raul won 2 CL before Zidane transfer, the galacticos won only 1 Cl.

chelsea8 9 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

ronaldo is an amazing player.
raul didn't need to score 5 goals in a match when you can win with 1 or 2goals, he scored in matches when madrid needed those goals.
For ME raul scored more important goals than ronaldo but ronaldo is a much better individual player.

@Tiki: Regardless. My point was that he was never the catalyst for the team. He had a great eye for the goal, that's true. Definitely a legend, but the majority of his career he's been a poacher. A player like that always depends on service, as he always had.

Consider Ronaldo though, he has the ability to score out of nothing. Perhaps he hasn't been that way lately but look at his overall career. He's a step above Raul.

@Chelsea: Please, name me some important goals Raul has scored outside of these:

• In Champions League final in 2000 (which was in itself kind of pointless. We were already two goals to the good.)
  • Champions League final 2002. He scored the first, but it is well known that Zidane's goal was the one that won the match. Though it doesn't make his goal any less crucial.

In the other final, it was Mijatovic who scored the winner vs Juve.

You know why I'm asking you this?

I know you're just 'talking out of your ass'.

I love Raul myself though and have tremendous respect for him. As good as he was though, he's not on the same level as Ronaldo and I hate you all for making me put down a legend of Real Madrid.

• History

^Regardless. My point was that he was never the catalyst for the team. He had a great eye for the goal, that's true. Definitely a legend, but the majority of his career he's been a poacher. A player like that always depends on service, as he always had.

@Tiki: Regardless. My point was that he was never the catalyst for the team. He had a great eye for the goal, that's true. Definitely a legend, but the majority of his career he's been a poacher. A player like that always depends on service, as he always had.

Consider Ronaldo though, he has the ability to score out of nothing. Perhaps he hasn't been that way lately but look at his career overall. He's a step above Raul.

Consider Ronaldo though, he has the ability to score out of nothing. Perhaps he hasn't been that way lately but look at his overall career. He's a step above Raul.

@Chelsea: Please, name me some important goals Raul has scored outside of these:

• In Champions League final in 2000 (which was in itself kind of pointless. We were already two goals to the good.)
  • Champions League final 2002. He scored the first, but it is well known that Zidane's goal was the one that won the match. Though it doesn't make his goal any less crucial.

In the other final, it was Mijatovic who scored the winner vs Juve.

tiki_taka 9 years ago

Im not saying the opposite...

Amerr30 9 years ago

I know, tiki. I was just giving my opinion.

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Guys, we understand you all believe Ronaldo is miles ahead of Raul. I do too. But please don't undermine Raul's achievements at the club. He is still in our Top 5 for greatest Madridistas ever. Di Stefano, Cristiano, Puskas, Raul, and Casillas are our greatest-ever players, and none of them should have any credit taken away from them. And by the way, Raul's CL final goal against Leverkusen was much, much more important than Ronaldo's penalty in the 120th minute....

Wolfie 9 years ago
Inter, Germany 94 1844

I'm not even trying to say that Raul is a more athletic/faster/blablabla than Cristiano. I'm saying if I had a choice between them in their prime I would chose Raul because he is more of a team and his performances in big games. I have nothing against Cristiano (I call him by his first name because there was only one Ronaldo for me) ..

@ray- Pre-galacticos man. Even with galacticos they were not in they're peak. 09-15 team has been quite strong. Whole team was built around Cristiano since he joined and he did practically nothing for his first 2 seasons apart from scoring goals against weak teams.

Usain Bolt is the fastes man on the planet, faster than Cristiano and more athletic but put him on the football field and he's useless. Cristiano may be the superior athlete physically but mentally Raul was better by a very big distance.

You can't learn a winning mentality. You either have it or you don't. Real would have lost that CL last year if it wasn't for Ramos.

Just because Cristiano scores an obscene amount of goals doesn't mean he is a better player. Football is about winning things. When people look back 50 years from now. They'll look at the trophies and not the goals if the didn't contribute to winning anything.

@Wolfie: What do you justify that on though?

Aside from Ronaldo's goals, are you aware of the amount of assist he had last year? Have you any idea how many assist Ronaldo makes that Benzema messes up?

People look at Ronaldo's goals, and judge him based on that alone. There is a lot more to his game though. Since his United days, he has changes his game a lot. He assists, he scores, he at times even acts like a play-maker. There was nothing that Raul could do that Ronaldo doesn't or can't do. He has an incredibly high footballing IQ.

I'm starting to think you do not watch Real Madrids games at all, aside from highlights. That never gives you the full picture. There have been games in which he hadn't scored but played very very well.

• History

^ What do you justify that on though?

Sure you're allowed to have an opinion, regardless how informed or wrong it may be. But at this point, all you're doing is saying Raul is a better team player because I said so.

What do you justify this on?

Aside from Ronaldo's goals, are you aware of the amount of assist he had last year? Have you any idea how many assist Ronaldo makes that Benzema messes up?

People look at Ronaldo's goals, and judge him based on that alone. There is a lot more to his game though. Since his United days, he has changes his game a lot. He assists, he scores, he at times even acts like a play-maker. There was nothing that Raul could do that Ronaldo doesn't or can't. He has an incredibly high footballing IQ.

I'm starting to think you do not watch Real Madrids games at all, aside from highlights. That never gives you the full picture. There have been games in which he hadn't scored but played very very well.

Sure you're allowed to have an opinion, regardless how informed or wrong it may be. But at this point, all you're doing is saying Raul is a better team player because I said so.

What do you justify this on?

People look at Ronaldo's goals, and judge him based on that alone. There is a lot more to his game though. Since his United days, he has changes his game a lot. He assists, he scores, he at times even acts like a play-maker. There was nothing that Raul could do that Ronaldo doesn't or can't. He has an incredibly high footballing IQ.

Sure you're allowed to have an opinion, regardless how informed or wrong it may be. But at this point, all you're doing is saying Raul is a better and more critical team player because I said so. There is nothing to suggest what you say is the reality.

So what do you justify this on?

Wolfie 9 years ago
Inter, Germany 94 1844

Cristiano is a great player, there is no deny that. I'm not sure how old you are (and I'm not go guess in an attempt to offend you) or can't remember what a player Raul was. If you just started watching Real in the last 2 years then ofcourse you may think I'm uninformed because Cristiano has been spectacular. Even though he was really poor in the final he was instrumental to getting Real there.

Raul was not a physical wonder or technically great but mentally was fantastic, a dynamic player. His greatness comes from his mind not his physicality. He had extraordinary self control and belief. He didn't need to go to the gym to look like a Greek god or bark at his team. He raised the team through example and was a leader from a young age. Something that Cristiano to this day is not.

I am fully aware they play in different positions. But we are discussing who is the better footballer. If you believe a footballer is one who can run the fastest, jump the highest and score the most goals then you truly do not understand football. Football is much more than goal/assists statistics.

Raul set the benchmark of professionalism in the modern era for Real.

The Galactico era has been a very cynical period. The influx of stars created a very unbalanced team which had already been successful. The purpose merely for global marketing. Nothing to do with football. The delusional dream of Perez a man who knows nothing about the game. A man who is only interested in money and advertising the Real brand. These "Galacticos" actually divided and alienated the spine of the squad.

Even with the influx of the World famous Galacticos. Raul rose above and was consistently the best player. Players like, Figo, Ronaldo, Zidane, Beckham. Could Cristiano have done the same or would he have been eclipsed by these players. A team not built around him and not played to his strengths, would he have adapted or been pushed aside.

Cristiano is like the only child who has everything catered for him and fails to grow a spine. Everyone has to bend over backwards for him. Let him take the freekicks even though he's terrible at them. How many goals are penalties? When he doesn't get all the scoring opportunities he sulks, he doesn't celebrate with his team mates when they score.

Is that a great player to you? Maybe.. For me I see a gifted player who has the incredible luxury of having everything his own way and couldn't give a damn about anyone else apart from his pre- meditated celebrations.
Raul understood his responsibility and what a team like Real represents.

SunFlash 9 years ago
USA 19 3260

I feel as though Wolfie's last post is the core set of arguments people use to dismiss Ronaldo from Messi/Raul/Best ever debates. The problem is that absolutely all of it is garbage.

Anyone who doubts Ronaldo as a leader need only look at his performances for Portugal, or his command of Madrid's dressing room. On a team full of ego's, his stands out. I don't see how you can say that Ronaldo doesn't have self-control or belief.

If you want to blame Perez for the team he created, go for it, but understand that that doesn't take away from Ronaldo, (or Raul, for that matter) as a player. When you consider the tight, tidy team tactics of Barca and Bayern, it's makes Ronaldo's achievements simply that much more impressive.

So Raul rose above all the Galacticos, good for him. Christiano is doing that today, and is CLEARLY one of the top two players in the world, if not number one, why do you think he could not do the same? The team is built around Ronaldo, because when they bought him he was the best player in the world. Nonetheless, his team is hardly stable, and the fact that Ronaldo has preformed through all of it is an incredible testament to his character and ability.

The perception of Christano is a selfish player has endured, and I can understand why. If he has a choice between a pass and a shot, he takes the shot. Guess what, he usually scores it too. His confidence is through the roof, and why shouldn't it be? He occasionally doesn't celebrate when his teammates score. Watch closely, do any of his other teammates? Hardly, that's what happens when Perez assembles a team built on ego. As for penelties, he earns most of them, and regardless of what you think of PK's, he's clearly very good at them, so why shouldn't he take them? I do agree about free kicks though, James does better, but it's not as though Ronaldo is abysmal.

In summary, I think the reason you don't think Ronaldo is the better than Raul is a very simple one, you don't like him. And you are letting that simple truth guide all of your assumptions and analysis.

Just my take, have with it what you will.

@Wolfie:
I mean let's take a look at your post up there.

It is a classic case of a straw-man argument with the way you present Ronaldo up there. Ronaldo is not just speed, nor goals, nor his 'body'. All of these things are in addition to the talents he already has. He had none of these things, except for his pace, when he was at Manchester United yet he still rose above everybody else in Europe and claimed his first Ballon d'Or. Along with guiding his team to a champions league trophy where he scored his teams only goal. He was also the man of the match.

The fact that you can rate Raul as more influential than Zidane just about sums up your actual understanding of the game.

I am not going to write another 'novel' so as to not overwhelm you but I have never said that Raul isn't a great player. One of the very best Real Madrid has had. I am not going to disagree with the greatness of Raul. That we can agree on.

The problem here is that you are criminally underrating Ronaldo.

Raul was a number 9, a traditional striker. Ronaldo is a winger. At least up until the last 2 years. Only recently has he started to operate more centrally. Even with this fact, Ronaldo has scored more goals than Raul in more than half the games. That is simpy an astonishing achivement. That fact alone makes all your points irrelevant.

Not to mention the fact that Ronaldo does not have a Zidane feeding him.

• History

@Wolfie: I just can't help but laugh at your behavior here.

First you complain about me being smug, sarcastic, and cocky because I suggested you don't watch Ronaldo (which I still stand behind of), and at the same time(removed) that I have only been watching or football in general for the past 2 years. How hypocritical can you be?

The fact is, I probably have been involved with football in one way or another even before you were conceived. This I gather from your naivety as well as your opinions. From calling me a creep and a weirdo, to saying that I only watched football for two years. What gives you the right to make such claims? I have so far been pretty lenient towards you because of your age. I don't take you seriously, at all. I couldn't possibly, not with your prima-donna pretentiousness to you thinking that just because you have been here for a a bit longer than others that you are better than everyone else.

Consider getting off of that high horse you're on. It is not doing you any favors.

I mean let's take a look at your post up there.

It is a classic case of a straw-man argument with the way you present Ronaldo up there. Ronaldo is not just speed, nor goals, nor his 'body'. All of these things are in addition to the talents he already has. He had none of these things, except for his pace, when he was at Manchester United yet he still rose above everybody else in Europe and claimed his first Ballon d'Or. Along with guiding his team to a champions league trophy where he scored his teams only goal. He was also the man of the match.

The fact that you can rate Raul as more influential than Zidane just about sums up your actual understanding of the game.

I am not going to write another 'novel' so as to not overwhelm you but I have never said that Raul isn't a great player. One of the very best Real Madrid has had. I am not going to disagree with the greatness of Raul. That we can agree on.

The problem here is that you are criminally underrating Ronaldo.

Raul was a number 9, a traditional striker. Ronaldo is a winger. At least up until the last 2 years. Only recently has he started to operate more centrally. Even with this fact, Ronaldo has scored more goals than Raul in more than half the games. That is simpy an astonishing achivement. That fact alone makes all your points irrelevant.

Not to mention the fact that Ronaldo does not have a Zidane feeding him.

I don't understand why you find it absolutely necessary that whenever you get in a discussion with anyone (not just me) to try to discredit them simply because you don't agree with them. I think the only reason moderators here allow you to stay is because you go and cry on their walls constantly, beg and threaten to go over their heads if they don't let you be. You're so much like Diego Costa.. I just wonder how long it'll take moderators to see that.

tuan_jinn 9 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Please do not insult each other! or I will have to ban you both.

As for Ronaldo and Raul debate, well we might need to create a separate thread for it, it's getting interesting. However comparing those 2 together is simply unfair, comparing their teammates together is also unfair. And comparing their opponents in different timezone is also unfair.

So I am going to do it separately. Taking nothing away from CR7 nor Raul.

Do I rate CR7 one of the best in the history, Yes! Do I rate Raul one of the best too? YES.

Ronaldo will go down to history as one of the best! And one of the best goal scorer no matter what.

Do I think Raul's achievement higher than CR7 no matter what! YES. Do I think Raul has the necessary leadership that led to that? YES.

I agree with the point that CR7 scored a lot of goals against small clubs, but I also must stress that he scored a lot of important game changing goals too. Having said that you can't take out the fact that, CR7's goals hasn't led to success as much. At least on paper. May be he's unlucky to be in the same gen as Messi. May be he would have wiped everyone out in previous generation. May be.

@SunFlash: "In summary, I think the reason you don't think Ronaldo is the better than Raul is a very simple one, you don't like him. And you are letting that simple truth guide all of your assumptions and analysis." That's absolutely not true. There are so many reasons why, in your favor, I think the biggest reason is because of his very low team's achievement.

If you say this Real now is no where near the Raul's one. Then please think again. You have all the top class player, you can blame on chemistry, ego or anything, but think about his goals? Has he created all alone? NO, his team work together and he's the VERY BEST finisher out there. DO you know why people say he's the tap-ins king? (I personally think it's bullsh!t cuz a goal is a goal), but that say something about his teammates, they work their asses to make the team score, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Raul's team back then had some exceptional historic players. True. But what make you think their opponents were below? We didn't watch all of it. Those stars have to overcome so many other great players to gain such fame, if you just play against a bunch of mediocre players noone is gonna rate you highly.

• History

Please do not insult each other! or I will have to ban you both.

As for Ronaldo and Raul debate, well we might need to create a separate thread for it, it's getting interesting. However comparing those 2 together is simply unfair, comparing their teammates together is also unfair. And comparing their opponents in different timezone is also unfair.

So I am going to do it separately. Taking nothing away from CR7 nor Raul.

Do I rate CR7 one of the best in the history, Yes! Do I rate Raul one of the best too? YES.

Ronaldo will go down to history as one of the best! And one of the best goal scorer no matter what.

Do I think Raul's achievement higher than CR7 no matter what! YES. Do I think Raul has the necessary leadership that led to that? YES.

I agree with the point that CR7 scored a lot of goals against small clubs, but I also must stress that he scored a lot of important game changing goals too. Having said that you can't take out the fact that, CR7's goals hasn't led to success as much. At least on paper. May be he's unlucky to be in the same gen as Messi. May be he would have wiped everyone out in previous generation. May be.

@SunFlash: "In summary, I think the reason you don't think Ronaldo is the better than Raul is a very simple one, you don't like him. And you are letting that simple truth guide all of your assumptions and analysis." That's absolutely not true. There are so many reasons why, in your favor, I think the biggest reason is because of his very low team's achievement.

If you say this Real now is no where near the Raul's one. Then please think again. You have all the top class player, you can blame on chemistry, ego or anything, but think about his goals? Has he created all alone? NO, his team work together and he's the VERY BEST finisher out there. DO you know why people say he's the tap-ins king? (I personally think it's bullsh!t cuz a goal is a goal), but that say something about his teammates, they work their asses to make the team score, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Raul's team back then had some exceptional historic players. True. But what make you think their opponents are below? We didn't watch all of it. Those stars have to overcome so many other great players to gain such fame, if you just play against a bunch of mediocre players noone is gonna rate you highly.

Salahadin 9 years ago
Real Madrid, France 11 554

Why bann both when the only one insulting is NOT amer. Stop taking sides because an old member does it, this is not naazzii germany.
Amer say things that what most of us couldnt bother to say so we dont get in arguments and end up being called names.