{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Ronaldo Baloon d'Or Winner
kingsley_k 7 years ago
Chelsea, England 1 129

Who agrees with this decision??!

Comments
amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

To be honest, I've always been more of a fifa player of the year person. I'm still wondering how Ronaldinho didn't win the balon'dor in 2004.

But let's not start this big argument, but I will say one thing

Messi is not human. He is absolutely unbelievable. I think should be known as the greatest footballer of all time, maybe even better than Pele and Maradona. If you watch Barcelona (sure Tiki does) you will see this for yourself.

He has the power to make me smile as a viewer. You don't really get that with Ronaldo, especially when he at times blames his teammates for him not scoring.

I also want to say MSN> BBC. Sure MSN score tap in, but BBC can be greedy at times. I prefer watching MSN a lot more, and view them to be a much bigger threat than BBC.

I will say one thing though. Ronaldo is still an absolute beast, but just about in the shadow of Messi.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Amir

Your logic is literally "Messi makes me smile, so therefore ROnaldo is in his shadow and doesn't deserve a Ballon d'Or. Sometimes I wonder whether people are actually able to watch the technical side of football, or just watch it for the "oohs" and "aahs" when someone dribbles past three players.

Dynastian98 7 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Tiki coming in with tax evasion accusations as an argument against Ronaldo winning the BO. I'm done. The amount of butthurt people on this forum over Ronnie winning the BO is hilarious.

When Ronaldo wins the FIFA BO, the excuses are it's a biased vote, the BO should only be decided by journalists.

When it is decided by journalists, "its a popularity contest, screw Ronaldo". The same group of people that chose Sneijder for 2010 and Ribery for 2013. I think journalists know better about who deserves Ballon d'Or than you or me, even with their biases. Ronaldo ended up with 745 points compared to Messi's 316. That's more than double. It wasn't even close.

Just remember that when people look back at 2016, they'll look at Ronaldo as the best player in that year, not Messi or Griezmann or anyone else. :)

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Tiki coming in with tax evasion accusations as an argument against Ronaldo winning the BO. I'm done. The amount of butthurt people on this forum over Ronnie winning the BO is hilarious. Just remember that when people look back at 2016, they'll look at Ronaldo as the best player in that year, not Messi or Griezmann or anyone else. :)

@Tiki coming in with tax evasion accusations as an argument against Ronaldo winning the BO. I'm done. The amount of butthurt people on this forum over Ronnie winning the BO is hilarious.

When Ronaldo wins the FIFA BO, the excuses are it's a biased vote, the BO should only be decided by journalists.

When it is decided by journalists, "its a popularity contest, screw Ronaldo".

Just remember that when people look back at 2016, they'll look at Ronaldo as the best player in that year, not Messi or Griezmann or anyone else. :)

When it is decided by journalists, "its a popularity contest, screw Ronaldo". The same group of people that chose Sneijder for 2010 and Ribery for 2013. I think journalists know better about who deserves Ballon d'Or than you or me, even with their biases.

JozeMourinho 7 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 18 1254

@Dynastian98 As much as it pains me to say it...Dynastian is not 100% right but 200%.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

@Dyn: I disagree.

To counter your point on Amir, i can say the absolute samething: can people look at how a player play technically and how much he contribute to the game instead of just score a goal and ohhh aaaaa. What kind of logic is that? It is easy to throw out those big statement, bit in the end it is his opinion on how certain people enjoy the game.

I share similar point of view with him, i watch alot of Real games, but I dont often have the relief when Ronaldo or anyone score (same go with any other team, so I enjoy the games as a natural fan, and in games, watching Messi is a lot more fun, he made much more impact when Barca suck..., that what I have in comon with @amir's opinion

• History

@Dyn: I disagree.

To counter your point on Amir, i can say the absolute samething: can people look at how a player play technically and how much he contribute to the game instead of just score a goal and ohhh aaaaa. What kind of logic is that? It is easy to throw out those big statement, bit in the end it is his opinion on how certain people enjoy the game.

I share similar point of view with him, i watch alot of Real games, but I dont often have the relief when Ronaldo or anyone score (same go with any other team, so I enjoy the games as a natural fan, and in games, watching Messi is a lot more fun, he made much more impact when Barca suck..., that what I share with @amir's opinion

Real Madrid 483 7140

@Tuan

I have to respectfully disagree once again. If you only look at the aesthetics of sport, you do not understand it. If you can see the technical side of sport, then no doubt you are already able to be entertained by the flair. A simple-minded fool would say something like "Stephen Curry can't do anything without scoring three-pointers". But there's so much more to a player like Stephen Curry than shooting three-pointers. Likewise, there is so much more to Ronaldo than scoring goals. People who are able to take an objective view on football and see the technicality and tactics behind everything are able to understand what players like Xavi, CR7, and Mario Gomez do that makes them so effective and amazing.

Saying one player is better than the other just because they entertain you more is nonsensical to me. Makes no sense. I think Neymar is more entertaining to watch than Muller. Does that make him better than Muller? I genuinely don't think so. There's much more to that argument than what pleases the eye.

• History

@Tuan

I have to respectfully disagree once again. If you only look at the aesthetics of sport, you do not understand it. If you can see the technical side of sport, then no doubt you are already able to be entertained by the flair. A simple-minded fool would say something like "Stephen Curry can't do anything without scoring three-pointers". But there's so much more to a player like Stephen Curry than shooting three-pointers. Likewise, there is so much more to Ronaldo than scoring goals. People who are able to take an objective view on football and see the technicality and tactics behind everything are able to understand what players like Xavi, CR7, and Mario Gomez do that makes them so effective and amazing.

rayrex7 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Croatia 26 797

Ronaldo's football intellect is second to none. He knows what to do and what can he do. The amount of times I see Ronaldo dragging 1-2 players without the ball is amazing. Yes, Messi is a better dribbler and passer. But that doesn't change the fact that Ronaldo was a heavy influence to Real Madrid and Portugal's triumph. Whoever brings out Eder or Ramos saving Madrid are people who absolutely didnt watch a single game from Real. Ramos saved us a couple of times in the dying minutes is true but doesnt even come close to what Ronaldo did this year.

If ronaldo scored half the amount of goals this season, but scored in all finals and "big" games, but Bale scored more than ronaldo and provided more assist, however he didnt contribute to any final, would you say Ronaldo deserved it over Bale based on your "requirements"? I would say half would still say Ronnie doesn't deserve it. Stop having Ronaldo's image to judge, just look at performances, stats, trophies won and records broken.

I know that I am a Madrid fan and being biased a bit to your perspective, but just try giving the guy a chance and stop complaining, this may be his last individual trophy (hopefully not) based on his age and latest performances. I know this will make most of you happy :)

tuan_jinn 7 years ago Edited

@Dynas & @rayrex: Fair enough, I see your points of view, and let me explain mine again

But I didn't say that because Messi alone. I tried to explain that:

Sometimes I wonder whether people are actually able to watch the technical side of football, or just watch it for the "oohs" and "aahs" when someone dribbles past three players.

can go anywhere and it can be used the absolutely the same as how you describe Ronaldo's contribution.

Now, let's see this argument here:

Likewise, there is so much more to Ronaldo than scoring goals. People who are able to take an objective view on football and see the technicality and tactics behind everything are able to understand what players like Xavi, CR7, and Mario Gomez do that makes them so effective and amazing.

We all know that, and we all agree these big players have serious impacts, that's why they earn what they earn and they are among the best in history. Messi, Ozil, Suarez, Diego Costa they all have their tactical impact. I dont think it's necessary to stress on the discussion. All serious contenders have that.

Saying one player is better than the other just because they entertain you more is nonsensical to me.

I dont think you get our points mate, it's not. It's just from natural fans' point of view, but no indication of how a player is better than another.

Let me put it this way: the best individual of the year should deservedly rewarded based on his throughout performances, impacts, consistency. Which to the objection party (incl. me): Ronaldo was below par. His games sometimes were painful to watch (including those he scored 2 goals), constant failed in dribble when he tried, had so many bad games, and when he had a good games, he scored a bunch that cover the numbers. Conflicted with teammates, and the claim that he dragged the teams were absolutely non-sense (both for Portugal & Real).

He had some amazing games of course, and that why he is still among the top, but best player last year??? As much undeserved as Messi's 2013.

BTW, I hate those people (like Joze here too) that goes: live with it, or stop complaining. We are discussing here, complaining would be more appropriate to use again stuffs like: refs screwed us, stadium was bad etc, playing a victim cards.

We are trying to talk out why some people say it's derserving, he's best this year for so obvious reason. And I failed to see that obvious reason.

• History

@Dynas & @rayrex: Fair enough, I see your points of view, and let me explain mine again

But I didn't say that because Messi alone. I tried to explain that:

Sometimes I wonder whether people are actually able to watch the technical side of football, or just watch it for the "oohs" and "aahs" when someone dribbles past three players.

can go anywhere and it can be used the absolutely the same as how you describe Ronaldo's contribution.

Now, let's see this argument here:

Likewise, there is so much more to Ronaldo than scoring goals. People who are able to take an objective view on football and see the technicality and tactics behind everything are able to understand what players like Xavi, CR7, and Mario Gomez do that makes them so effective and amazing.

BTW, I hate those people (like Joze here too) that goes: live with it, or stop complaining. We are discussing here, complaining would be more appropriate to use again stuffs like: refs screwed us, stadium was bad etc, playing a victim cards.

We are trying to talk out why some people say it's derserving, he's best this year for so obvious reason. And I failed to see that obvious reason.

We all know that, and we all agree these big players have serious impacts, that's why they earn what they earn and they are among the best in history. Messi, Ozil, Suarez, Diego Costa they all have their tactical impact. I dont think it's necessary to stress on the discussion. All serious contenders have that.

Saying one player is better than the other just because they entertain you more is nonsensical to me.

I dont think you get our points mate, it's not. It's just from natural fans' point of view, but no indication of how a player is better than another.

Let me put it this way: the best individual of the year should deservedly rewarded based on his throughout performances, impacts, consistency. Which to the objection party (incl. me): Ronaldo was below par. His games sometimes were painful to watch (including those he scored 2 goals), constant failed in dribble when he tried, had so many bad games, and when he had a good games, he scored a bunch that cover the numbers. Conflicted with teammates, and the claim that he dragged the teams were absolutely non-sense (both for Portugal & Real).

He had some amazing games of course, and that why he is still among the top, but best player last year??? As much undeserved as Messi's 2013.

JozeMourinho 7 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Greece 18 1254

@tuan_jinn First of all I am not a fanboy of Ronaldo neither Messi.

So you ask me to analyze why Ronaldo deserves it more than Messi, instead of deal with it. Funny part is that most of you claim its a popularity contest or who won most cups contest but still fucking whine about it. Anyway Challenge accepted.

Lets start with the main statistics anyone would first look.

Messi left - Ronaldo right
https://i.imgur.com/xuFHaKY.jpg

Ronaldo also had 1 less competition to fight for also.

Penalties? Ronaldo is simply better even if he has few more taken.

enter image description here

International level? None of them carried their team to win a Trophy but Ronaldo did won a trophy in a much harder competition if you ask me.

Watching them over the years I noticed that Messi likes to dribble, to cut inside, to paly the ball of the ground often, to do layoffs. he manages to draw fouls and play long balls to his team. Ronaldo likes to cut inside like Messi, to do layoffs like him also, get a set-piece, amazing counter-attack threat and play short passes unlike Messi's long ones. Defensive both are weak with the difference that Ronaldo under Mourinho was actually defending, but then again this does not concern this years award so forget it.

Ronaldo is 31 years old and Messi is 29.

What most of you fail to understand that each player has his own playstyle and his own task given by their managers. Ronaldo can't make the Maradona runs Messi does and Messi can't take the headers Ronaldo manages to make.

If your eye prefers Messi's gamestyle I can't blame you, I myself love to watch Messi over Ronaldo but when we speak about football and not entertaiment I like both equally and respect them for what they do over those years.

Ronaldo had a much more complete season than Messi and managed to stay to the TOP at 31 years of age with a manager switch in the middle of the season. Yes he dissapeared in some games but sure Messi dissapeared in some games also.

In fewer words I hate people who hate the name Cristiano Ronaldo and don't bother to watch what a BEAST this guy is and what he manages to achieve year after year.

If Madrid does not score = Ronaldo is crap
If Barca does not score = Ah unlucky MSN sh*t happens

Most of you are biased from the media and how they represent you Ronaldo and by that you can't enjoy neither appreciate what this guy does.

Can we also disagree that Ronaldo was a leader for Portugal? Can we also disagree how many times he changed his position in the pitch and still delivered? Rafa and Portugal both used Ronaldo as a striker, keeping him high up the pitch to lead the line, taking advantage of his incredible aerial ability. Zidane has used him in a 4-4-2 at times, as he did in a 3-0 win over Atletico Madrid, with Ronaldo playing the number nine role ahead of Isco. Ronaldo scored a hat-trick. When Zidane wants to play Benzema, Zidane puts Ronaldo out onto the left where drifts ahead of Benzema and cuts in from wide positions to turn up and covert chances and it not just that in the Borrusia Game Ronaldo was defending also at the left-back in their recent match-up which ended 2-2

Surely he could have done more but what can you ask more from a 31 years old player?

P.S. Muller aint even half of Neymar, dynastian.

• History

@tuan_jinn

So you ask me to analyze why Ronaldo deserves it more than Messi, instead of deal with it. Funny part is that most of you claim its a popularity contest or who won most cups contest but still fucking whine about it. Anyway Challenge accepted.

International level? None of them carried their team to win a Trophy but Ronaldo did won a trophy in a much harder competition if you ask me.

Watching them over the years I noticed that Messi likes to dribble, to cut inside, to paly the ball of the ground often, to do layoffs. he manages to draw fouls and play long balls to his team. Ronaldo likes to cut inside like Messi, to do layoffs like him also, get a set-piece, amazing counter-attack threat and play short passes unlike Messi's long ones. Defensive both are weak with the difference that Ronaldo under Mourinho was actually defending, but then again this does not concern this years award so forget it.

What most of you fail to understand that each player has his own playstyle and his own task given by their managers. Ronaldo can't make the Maradona runs Messi does and Messi can't take the headers Ronaldo manages to make.

If your eye prefers Messi's gamestyle I can't blame you, I myself love to watch Messi over Ronaldo but when we speak about football and not entertaiment I like both equally and respect them for what they do over those years.

Ronaldo had a much more complete season than Messi and managed to stay to the TOP at 31 years of age with a manager switch in the middle of the season. Yes he dissapeared in some games but sure Messi dissapeared in some games also.

In fewer words I hate people who hate the name Cristiano Ronaldo and don't bother to watch what a BEAST this guy is and what he manages to achieve year after year.

Most of you are biased from the media and how they represent you Ronaldo and by that you can't enjoy neither appreciate what this guy does.

@tuan_jinn First of all I am not a fanboy of Ronaldo neither Messi.

JozeMourinho 7 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Greece 18 1254

Also let me tell you some above 30 years old footballers.

Ibrahimovic, Totti, Buffon, Xabi Alonso, John Terry, Xavi, Casillas, Etoó, Villa, Pirlo, Kuyt, Ashley Cole. etc etc bla bla blaaa

Which of them even managed to be contenders this year? None.

Most of players when reach 30 years of age either drop their standards or they accept a fat paycheck at MLS and China, on the other hand Ronaldo is battling Messi unarguably the best player ever existed and played this game for most and when I say most I am not speaking for people like me and you but by other professional footballers.

So yes Ronaldo deserves it for some of us football us fans. DEAL WITH IT :)

• History

Ibrahimovic, Totti, Buffon, Xabi Alonso, John Terry, Xavi, Casillas, Etoó and Villa.[ I can name 20 more]

Most of players when reach 30 years of age either drop their standards or they accept a fat paycheck at MLS and China, on the other hand Ronaldo is battling Messi unarguably the best player ever existed and played this game for most and when I say most I am not speaking for people like me and you but by other professional footballers.

Ibrahimovic, Totti, Buffon, Xabi Alonso, John Terry, Xavi, Casillas, Etoó, Villa, Pirlo, Kuyt, Ashley Cole. etc etc bla bla blaaa

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Joze

We'll leave the Neymar vs. Muller debate for another day.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago

@Joze: At work, so I can't reply much.

But spot on those 30+ players, I dont mean to take away anything from his remarkable career. Absolutely, Phenomenal and one of the very best in history (doesn't matter if we like or dislike his attitude nor style). I am talking about this year Ballon' dOr in particular.

Btw, I watched Copa America: 2 points I disagree here: Messi did drag Argentina to the final, and he sucked bad in the final :))), but trust me if you watch Argentina you will realize how sucky they are despite having those big names. Copa America is not inferior to European Champ, can be super tough.

What I do agree is that Ronaldo is more of a leader than Messi.

JozeMourinho 7 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 18 1254

@tuan_jinn

Completely agree with you that Copa America is super tough its just my personal opinion about the Euro vs Copa America.

Yes Messi did drag them to finals to fail at the final with a penalty he sadly lost. I completely agree on the part he dragged them to finals but he was dissapointing for me at the final.

I think I just explained myself to you about my opinion on why Ronaldo should win it.

Hopefully I got out of that hate list of yours :P Peace and love brother!

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Dynast its not an argument, you made a post about any Barca player suspected with tax evasion and now you are silent about Ronaldo, why ? Just a question.

Robert Lewandowski :

"Je suis footballeur et nous connaissons tous le meilleur joueur du monde, et il fut énorme en 2016. C'est Leo Messi. Le joueur avec le plus de publicité a été élu Ballon d'Or cette année, c'est n'importe quoi...".

Im a football player and we all know the best player in the world, and he was great in 2016. Its Léo Messi. The players with the most advertisements have been elected Ballon d' Or this year, its nonsense.

Its not really as unpopular as you make it to be, i mean im not the only one who watched both players whole year. And talking about the IMPACT, its impossible to compare what Messi/Griezmann offer to their team comparing to Ronaldo.

JozeMourinho 7 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 18 1254

Because Real Madrid would be the same without :

2011 - 60 goals
2012 - 63 goals
2013 - 69 goals
2014 - 61 goals
2015 - 57 goals

Note : That is only 1 statistic only his goals.

Let's not mention how much energy draining it is to defend vs such a player or anything else a guy at his position contributes. [Oh and he can play more than 1 position]

Lilywhite 7 years ago
28 468

Hahaha, so many butthurt people in this forum. :) Stop being so salty guys. Congratz, well deserved, some opinions of a few footballers doesn't matter. Everyone knows CR7 is the greatest player in the world. ;)

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11426

@Lilywhite And everyone know your one of Ronaldo biggest fan on this site you beautiful biased Harry Potter fan. :P But seriously, I am one of the few who agree he deserved the Ballon d'Or this year and was one of the greatest player in the world and yet doesn't like him that much. Congrats to Ronaldo for winning the Ballon d'Or but I can't help thinking that doesn't make him better than Messi but just as good. ;)

Real Madrid 483 7140

Maldini's logic when comparing great players to one another:

"Cristiano Ronaldo says the best over the last 20 years? Even Gerard Piqué has more titles than him. Lionel Messi, for its part, holds twice its securities."

He just compared Gerard Pique, a man who is not half the defender Puyol was in his prime, to Ronaldo. Why? Trophies. Maldini may have been a legend, but his logic in disagreeing with Ronaldo's statement is absolute nonsense.

• History

Maldini's logic when comparing great players to one another:

"Cristiano Ronaldo says the best over the last 20 years? Even Gerard Piqué has more titles than him. Lionel Messi, for its part, holds twice its securities."

He just compared Gerard Pique, a man who is not half the defender Puyol was in his prime, to Ronaldo. Why? Trophies. Maldini may have been a legend, but his logic in disagreeing with Ronaldo's statement is absolute nonsense.

Lilywhite 7 years ago
28 468

@Dynastian

Yup I wouldn't take any of what these former footballers say seriously. Some's logic truly makes you question if they became a footballer because they failed in every other department in life that required a positive IQ. lol

amir_keal 7 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Ok, quick question for Dynastian.

What does it mean to be the best player in the world?

Joze, first off, where did you get that source from? ALL of the stats are wrong

Secondly, the media was the one who made the Messi tax fraud a BIG thing. THEY made a whole 3 pages with one whole page with captions of ' Messi is a criminal'

On Ronaldo's case, it talks about how it was somehow an 'accident'.

And by the way, not paying taxes is the fault of their agents, not the players themselves, so I will not judge them, unlike the media.

Thirdly, If Real Madrid doesn't score, who the hell evens says Ronaldo is crap. No one says that. You're just making that up.

Finally, I want to say trophies play a WAY bigger part then it should. It's also naming really. Like Tuanis said previously, if France and Atletico won their respective tournaments would Griezmann be a serious contender for the award? I really doubt that. but I think Ronaldo would still win it. Then again, you could say the reporters are french, and would be biased in a way, but care more about Messi not winning.

Suarez was also another option, but I guess i'll talk about that another time.

Oh, and also to Tuan Jinn, I could not have said what you said better, about how Argentina sucked especially. Shows Messi's capability really.

• History

Ok, quick question for Dynastian.

What does it mean to be the best player in the world?

Joze, first off, where did you get that source from? ALL of the stats are wrong

Secondly, the media was the one who made the Messi tax fraud a BIG thing. THEY made a whole 3 pages with one whole page with captions of ' Messi is a criminal'

On Ronaldo's case, it talks about how it was somehow an 'accident'.

And by the way, not paying taxes is the fault of their agents, not the players themselves, so I will not judge them, unlike the media.

Thirdly, If Real Madrid doesn't score, who the hell evens says Ronaldo is crap. No one says that. You're just making that up.

Finally, I want to say trophies play a WAY bigger part then it should. It's also naming really. Like Tuanis said previously, if France and Atletico won their respective tournaments would Griezmann be a serious contender for the award? I really doubt that. but I think Ronaldo would still win it. Then again, you could say the reporters are french, and would be biased in a way, but care more about Messi not winning.

Suarez was also another option, but I guess i'll talk about that another time.