{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Ronaldo Baloon d'Or Winner
kingsley_k 7 years ago
Chelsea, England 1 129

Who agrees with this decision??!

Comments
tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

If France won the euro, or Ramos didn't scored at Ramos time. Who would have won the BO ?

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

The way I choose to look at it is like this: if any other players scored 51 goals in 54 games, won the CL and Euros, as well as scoring (6 of 8?) of his teams goals in the Euros, would we have a problem with them winning? I should think not.

I think the main issue most have here is that it is Ronaldo who won, not the reasons why.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

When Messi won in 2010, there was less of an uproar. People seem to dislike seeing Ronaldo win.

KaKa_CS 7 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 1 910

@Dynastian98. I agree. What is more satisfying is that they are burning from the inside. Let them burn and cry.

tiki_taka 7 years ago

@sun who scored 6 goals in the Euros ? If you are talking about Ronaldo I wonder if we watched the same Euro.

@Dyn Well I've always said that Iniesta/Sneijder should have won it. And you know it.
So your argument just show what I wanted to say, by bringing that year you are implicitly comparing 2010 to 2016 wich shows how much credit you give to Ronaldo's year who quoted by you several times this Season is on decline and you are right.

We gave it unfairly to Messi In 2010, why not Ronaldo this season ? Sounds fair.
At least in 2010 Messi was at his peak and a phenomenon on the pitch, big games that Ronaldo shined in it this season can be counted in one hand fingers....
He costed me money vs Dortmund and I saw your comments about Benz not scoring all his chances, he scored a brace what do you want more while the beloved failed to convert all the tap ins feeded. Its easier to count the good games rather than the flops, all the last winner goals were scored by Morata-Ramos-Benz this start of the season.

Without being Biased, this season From January to May plus the Euro belongs to Griezmann, he was voted player of the month 3 times out of 5 carrying Atletico on his shoulders, while Ronaldo is a traditional striker waiting for tap ins, he lost his incredible pace and speed, but he still knows how to put on the net and do it perfectly feeded by an assist Machine called Real Madrid.
Griezmann needed to go deep, to defend more, Huge work rate, decisive goals....
the key player of Madrid is Modric, like it or
Not when he is not here it's flagrant, put a good striker like Aubameyang or Lewandowski the result atm would be the same. My vision on Football may not be yours I respect it, people should respect mine. Any player can score goals doesn't mean he is the best performer and doesn't mean without him his team would struggle : the heart of the team for me is the organe that should be awarded not the hand.
Scoring hattricks in CL group stage and ending up top scorer doesn't make you best CL player specially when flopping when it matters.
Relax Messi scored 4 against Celtics and 4 against City, if he ends up top scorer by flopping in big games in final stage I will keep the same analysis.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11426

@Dynastian98 Do we really need to go back and explain the whole "Ronaldo is the kind of guy people love ot hate" and why it is so? But anyway, I think Ronaldo was great about winning this trophy, thanking his team-mate from the national team and saying it was a trophy for Real Madrid. He's right in a way as well I would think, if his team wouldn't have done this well, he propably wouldn't have won the trophy so it was really a team effort. Anyway, fair results in my opinion as he was the key player on two of europe greatest winning side this season. The end results make sense. Congrats to him. ;)

rayrex7 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Croatia 26 797

Lol, Ronaldo was UCL top scorer, Second in La Liga.
6th Consecutive season to score 50 goals.
Won Euros and UCL.

But somehow, in an alternative universe, players are now allowed to keep quiet in an entire season but if they scored in the final, they automatically qualify for Balon D'Or.

Ronaldo had a better season than any other player mentioned. If Griezmann won the Euros and UCL, that would be a different case. Still Ronaldo may top him however it would be very close.

If you complain about Ronaldo not shining in the finals than you have no right to complain why Messi didnt win it. He didnt win nor scored in the Copa Finals.

@tiki against PSG Modric and Bale were injured. Ronaldo couldnt have played alone against players like Thiago Silva and Matudi in the back.

For City he played only 1 game and the game was his return from injury.
Saying he was the worst player against Atletico, well bro, you must have watched the wrong final. He was quite decent in fact, especially against the team with the best defense.

I don't understand the point of facing Strong teams
Teams like Arsenal are strong but can play shit anyday. Same goes for BVB, Real, Barca etc.

You can't say he didn't face strong teams so don't count those stats. Strong teams can play crap and weak teams can play amazing. If we follow your logic, I will stop watching football and play fifa more.

People voting for Griezmann isnt because of his performance, but because he isnt Ronaldo/Messi. Simple.

Ronaldo's euro was actually really Good, he wasnt Lucky against Austria, was great against Hungary and Wales. Decent against Poland and Croatia, where they performed more as a team, their goal was qualifying, not performing.

quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

@rayrex Messi didn't win Copa, but he was carrying his team for the whole tournament. If there was no Messi, Argentina would never made it to the finals.

Ronaldo's euro was actually really Good

How was his performances good? Yes they won, but Ronaldo was far from being best on the pitch, or even best in their team, not even 2nd best in their team.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

@tiki: analysis on his game was execellent. People please read it and see why Ronaldo didn't deserve it. (Im sure Im not alone here anymore)

saatvik10 7 years ago
Manchester United, India 27 540

Ronaldo deserved it the most this year. Be it because of there not being any real competition, or the trophies won.

You guys do remember he pulled Real out of a pit when he scored a httrick against Wolfsburg at the Bernabeu?

He had one of the best seasons of his career and while I agree the BDO is becoming a popularity contest, if Ronaldo didn't deserve it, nobody did.

rayrex7 7 years ago

@quickzzy If there was no Ronaldo, Portugal won't even make it to the 1/8 knockout rounds, let alone the Finals.

He was Portugals Second Best player, Pepe was the best but not much of a difference. Dropping deep doesn't mean he was carrying the team. Ronaldo had his Job, Messi had his job. Both Managers gave specific roles for the respective players, don't expect both players to play exactly alike.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

@reyex7: not true. Portugal was collectively played as a "super defensive" team (yes I hate so much how much a champion played that way, but it's fooball), look at the final, any game could have gone that way for them, that how they played.

I dont get anyone saying, Ronaldo was the main seed of how Real got the CL or Portugal got the European Cup, that's pure fan's bias opinion. For a defensive team like Portugal, a defender and DMF would be the key. For Real, that was Modric, or even Ramos.

Ronaldo games were sometimes so bad that it's painful to watch, I have to admit, a large part of watching irrelevant games of Real is because I want to watch Ronaldo, but lots of time it was bad.

Similar to Messi in 2013, this is SO SO SO undeserved.

Aiden_Finland 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Finland 18 1236

If Ronaldo does not deserve it then no one should receive the award this year, he finally won a major tournament with Portugal and I am very happy for him.

rayrex7 7 years ago

@tuan Explain to me your meaning of bad. No dribbles? no defensive contribution?
If Suarez deserves to be in top 3 than Ronaldo deserves to win it. Suarez also scored goals but didnt do Dribbles and "dropped deep". He scored about 5 more goals than Ronaldo and that's that.

We can't judge in what we see, we should judge based on thier roles. Ronaldo's job wasnt to drop deep and help defenders, because that was for the rest of the team except Benzema and Bale. If Ronaldo played under simeone, he would definitely dropped deep more and contribute to the defense more. If he played under the Barcelona system, he would have more possesion, key passes and assist. If he was under Mourinho, you would see him cover more distance than now.

You see, Most coaches give tactics not for our preferences, but the best way to win. Against Dortmund and Barcelona, Ronaldo defended more than usual, also against Atleti. Modric is definitely the engine of our team, but you still can't win games with great defense and midfield. Take out ronaldo and we will barely win games, even if we did, our scorelines would be 1-0, 2-1, and that's when Benzema is in form.

Just look at the previous Classico, Real were the better team until Iniesta came and Barca were in complete control. That just shows how a midfielder can change the game, especially one like Iniesta.

Saying its So undeserved is far fetching it. Change his name and we wont have this discussion. Griezmann and Messi disappear just as much games like Ronaldo, the only difference is that Ronaldo is Ronaldo.

rayrex7 7 years ago

enter image description here

raimondo90 7 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

@Rayrex, that image does not help Ronaldo at all, if anything it shows Messi did slightly better overall.

My opinion on the matter is that winning a trophy (be it league, CL, WC or Euro/Copa) is not a merit enough to be called the best player. Sure it looks nice, but this award should be on an individuals performances or contributions throughout the year. Defending is as important as attacking (look at Portugal's Euro) and I think other positions either need an equivalent trophy or have some way of even having a chance at this award. Ramos was crucial for Real. Hell one could argue Pepe deserves it as well since he also won Euro and CL, being the rock at the back that helped Portugal and Madrid get to finals. I think the amount of MOTM awards should contribute to this decision.

JozeMourinho 7 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 18 1254

So much whining about Ronaldo. Just deal with it.

kyoekyar 7 years ago Edited
12 163

I don't like portugal team but I was rooting portugal just for the sake of ronaldo. I want to see both ronaldo and messi win at least 1 international trophy. I watched the euro final just for ronaldo BUT I do not think he deserves it. Sometimes, stats doesn't show how important a player is. I would say Griezmann should win it. He carried both Atletico and France but I guess we are living in the era of Messi and Ronaldo. How good or important of the other players to their teams, they just can't win these individual prizes over these 2 players since these awards are determined by personal votes. Most of them are either ronaldo's or messi's fans. So, if Messi didn't win major trophies last season, I assume the prize would default to Ronaldo. You don't need to look somewhere else, just look at this forums. Most users are either Ronaldo's or Messi's fans.

For the record, I'm really sick of these messi vs ronaldo arguments. Both players are 2 of the best players that game've ever seen. Why dno't we just like both of them?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I don't like portugal team but I was rooting portugal just for the sake of ronaldo. I want to see both ronaldo and messi win at least 1 international trophy. I watched the euro final just for ronaldo BUT I do not think he deserves it. Sometimes, stats doesn't show how important a player is. I would say Griezmann should win it. He carried both Atletico and France but I guess we are living in the era of Messi and Ronaldo. How good or important of the other players to their teams, they just can't win these individual prizes over these 2 players since these awards are determined by personal votes. Most of them are either ronaldo's or messi's fans. So, if Messi didn't win major trophies last season, I assume the prize would default to Ronaldo.

For the record, I'm really sick of these messi vs ronaldo arguments. Both players are 2 best players that game've ever seen. Why dno't we just like both of them?

I don't like portugal team but I was rooting portugal just for the sake of ronaldo. I want to see both ronaldo and messi win at least 1 international trophy. I watched the euro final just for ronaldo BUT I do not think he deserves it. Sometimes, stats doesn't show how important a player is. I would say Griezmann should win it. He carried both Atletico and France but I guess we are living in the era of Messi and Ronaldo. How good or important of the other players to their teams, they just can't win these individual prizes over these 2 players since these awards are determined by personal votes. Most of them are either ronaldo's or messi's fans. So, if Messi didn't win major trophies last season, I assume the prize would default to Ronaldo. You don't need to look somewhere else, just look at this forums. Most users are either Ronaldo's or Messi's fans.

For the record, I'm really sick of these messi vs ronaldo arguments. Both players are 2 best players that game've ever seen. Why dno't we just like both of them?

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11426

While I don't want to argue Ronaldo performance in the EURO, you can tell Pepe and Rui Patricio were just as important as him in the team if not a bit more. They were unplayable. Renato and Guerreiro were very important as well, most of the team was. To be fair, what made Ronaldo look better in the euro was how the other main attacking player in the team played, Nani and Quaresma were not impressive. Even Eder managed to outshine them in my opinion. :P

tiki_taka 7 years ago Edited

Congrats to him for BO, who performed the best this season is not him, who won collectively what needed to win BO is him.
Atm if we watch Barca games, Madrid games and Atleti games, even Chelsea games and try to rank best performers Ronaldo won't be part of my top 5, he is not even best performer of his team atm bring any stat you want....
Aubameyang is Actually the best scorer in Europe this start of the season, he is the closest to Ronaldo style, he has 0 recognition so maybe after all I'm not just hating.
Scoring 10 screamers, 10 solo goals, or 10 PKs/tap ins doesn't have the same taste imo. I understand those who say that a goal is a goal, so im sure you put Giroud as Madrid main threat he will end up will 25 goals a season and we will rank him better than Diego Costa. For me it doesn't make sense, but I respect all kind of vision because there is not one way on looking to football.

What is also funny is how Messi got treated by Madridista for tax evasion before he was judged, i told you all of them have accounts, No Ronaldo is linked with a 150 mil tax fraud, where are Madrid fans who talk about moral and ethics...

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Congrats to him for BO, who performed the best this season is not him, who won collectively what needed to win BO is him.
Atm if we watch Barca games, Madrid games and Atleti games, even Chelsea games and try to rank best performers Ronaldo won't be part of my top 5, he is not even best performer of his team atm bring any stat you want....
Aubameyang is Actually the best scorer in Europe this start of the season, he is the closest to Ronaldo style, he has 0 recognition so maybe after all I'm not just hating.
Scoring 10 screamers, 10 solo goals, or 10 PKs/tap ins doesn't have the same taste imo. I understand those who say that a goal is a goal, so im sure you put Giroud as Madrid main threat he will end up will 25 goals a season and we will rank him better than Diego Costa. For me it doesn't make sense, but I respect all kind of vision because there is not one way on looking to football.