Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

MLS Playoff talk 2014
COYSPURS2008 10 years ago
76 540

Place to put your opinions thoughts and reactions to the MLS Cup Playoffs of 2014.

Predictions?

and yes I've been gone a long time. I'm back for now :) and spurs still suck :( unfortunately.

Comments
76 540

D.C have an uphill battle
Columbus need a miracle
RSL has a daunting visit to LA

There needs to be some magic in the second legs for these teams.

Lodatz 10 years ago Edited
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

@quik: Heya dude. :) Good to see you too. And yeah, both Henry and Wrighty's kid are doing pretty well. I can finally cheer on Henry and not feel guilty...

@COYS: Hola. :) Well, I guess it depends upon how you look at it. The MLS Cup is a play-off/knockout system, so I think of it more like the FA Cup, whereas the Supporters Shield is for finishing the season at the top of the table, so I guess I see that more as winning the league.

It's tricky, because the MLS is American, and they value things like the Superbowl more than season play, so there's more hype about the MLS Cup. I'm European, so I guess I automatically think more highly of the league than the cup.

Either way, I'm crossing my fingers that we'll get the treble this year! I'll be at the game on Monday, and will take some pics if you like. I got a little snatch of video from the celebrations after beating LA. :D

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@quik: Heya dude. :) Good to see you too.

@COYS: Hola. :) Well, I guess it depends upon how you look at it. The MLS Cup is a play-off/knockout system, so I think of it more like the FA Cup, whereas the Supporters Shield is for finishing the season at the top of the table, so I guess I see that more as winning the league.

It's tricky, because the MLS is American, and they value things like the SUperbowl more than season play, so there's more hype about the MLS Cup.

Either way, I'm crossing my fingers that we'll get the treble this year! I'll be at the game on Monday, and will take some pics if you like. I got a little snatch of video from the celebrations after beating LA. :D

@quik: Heya dude. :) Good to see you too. And yeah, both Henry and Wrighty's kid are doing pretty well. I can finally cheer on Henry and not feel guilty...

It's tricky, because the MLS is American, and they value things like the SUperbowl more than season play, so there's more hype about the MLS Cup.

76 540

Yea, I think its because I'm much more accustomed to the European format that I consider the conclusion of a league season to be its end. Even though playoffs to end the season is weird, thats the way it works on our side of the pond and the MLS Cup final is when the league disappears until March and the team who wins it gets to brag until then. A team can win the supporters shield then immediately be dissapointed in the QF's of the playoffs and contemplate what could of been for 3 to 4 months instead of relishing the shield.

and I would say the US Open cup is the US's FA Cup. In fact it has been going on like 90 or something years longer than the MLS has :P

Iraqi_Madridista 10 years ago
Real Madrid 33 1388

Lol. Who does want to watch the American football (soccer) xD

Lodatz 10 years ago Edited
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

"A team can win the supporters shield then immediately be dissapointed in the QF's of the playoffs and contemplate what could of been for 3 to 4 months instead of relishing the shield."

That's true, and I think that's due to what the MLS fans want, more than what's really reflective of the season. Because American audiences grow up with all their sports seasons ending in play-offs (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL etc etc), the football fans just expect the same for the MLS.

There's nothing wrong with that, of course, I just think that over time more US fans will start to see it as Europeans do, with the league being more important.

"and I would say the US Open cup is the US's FA Cup. In fact it has been going on like 90 or something years longer than the MLS has :P"

I totally agree about the history, and I think it SHOULD be the bigger trophy than the MLS Cup, but I fear it's taken as seriously as the Cap One Cup in England.

Aww well. None of these are direct comparisons, obviously, because the MLS doesn't operate in the same way as a UEFA league.

By the way, did you know that Harry Redknapp both retired as a player, AND got his first coaching job at.... Seattle Sounders?

• History

"A team can win the supporters shield then immediately be dissapointed in the QF's of the playoffs and contemplate what could of been for 3 to 4 months instead of relishing the shield."

That's true, and I think that's due to what the MLS fans want, more than what's really reflective of the season. Because American audiences grow up with all their sports seasons ending in play-offs (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL etc etc), the football fans just expect the same for the MLS.

There's nothing wrong with that, of course, I just think that over time more US fans will start to see it as Europeans do, with the league being more important.

"and I would say the US Open cup is the US's FA Cup. In fact it has been going on like 90 or something years longer than the MLS has :P"

I totally agree about the history, and I think it SHOULD be the bigger trophy than the MLS Cup, but I fear it's taken as seriously as the Cap One Cup in England.

Aww well. None of these are direct comparisons, obviously, because the MLS doesn't operate in the same way as a UEFA league.

By the way, did you that Harry Redknapp both retired as a player, AND got his first coaching job at.... Seattle Sounders?

quikzyyy 10 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

It would be great if to take some pics, and then share it here :)

charlie33 10 years ago
Arsenal, England 14 188

I'm am so sad, my little bro is going to the revs game Saturday and not me. :(

76 540

And yea Lodatz if North American supporters start to value the shield more, that could lead to a change in league format, who knows? I would support it :)

COYSPURS2008 10 years ago Edited
76 540

This just popped in to my mind, 7 out of 8 playoff teams have been to the final at least once.

In Chronological order for the former winners

D.C United 2004

Then we have Columbus Crew in 2008 defeating the Red Bulls in the final

We have RSL in 2009 defeating the Galaxy in a heated shootout

• History

This just popped in to my mind, we have only 4 champions out of 8 playoff teams.

In Chronological order

D.C United 2004

Then we have Columbus Crew in 2008 defeating the Red Bulls in the final

We have RSL in 2009 defeating the Galaxy in a heated shootout

76 540

Galaxy winning it twice in 2011 and 2012

76 540

These are all of the champions latest MLS Cup wins.

we have a few runners up who came awfully close in the last few years.

These teams have never won it yet but have appeared as runners up.

Red Bulls- Last finals appearance in 2008 where they lost 3-2 to the Crew.

New England Revolution lost 3 finals in a row in 2005,2006, and 2007 to the LA Galaxy and the Houston Dynamo (twice) respectively.

Dallas- Last finals appearance in 2010 where they lost 2-1 to Colorado Rapids through an unfortunate own goal.

76 540

Seattle are the only team in the MLS Playoffs (still remaining) that have never been to the finals. Can they change that this season?

COYSPURS2008 9 years ago Edited
76 540

D.C, tipped as a potential league winner after a spectacular regular season performance. They are now in huge danger as they are tied 1-1 with NYRB and need 3 goals to advance. Is this the end for the 4 time champions this year? are NYRB really stepping out of their shadow and is this their year?

• History

D.C, tipped as a potential league winner after a spectacular regular season performance. They are not in huge danger as they are tied 1-1 with NYRB and need 3 goals to advance. Is this the end for the 4 time champions this year? are NYRB really stepping out of their shadow and is this their year?

COYSPURS2008 9 years ago
76 540

The prospect of a derby between the East's two great underachievers seems extremely likely now, as the revs look on to D.C's misfortunes.

COYSPURS2008 9 years ago
76 540

The Red Bulls have won a playoff series for only the third time. They will most likely play New England in the semi finals of the playoffs.

Can the Red Bulls have their heyday before their big money neighbors enter the league next season?

quikzyyy 9 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Well, DC got a lot of chances to score and win the game, but they failed. Nice to see Henry in the final, and that assist was lovely!

COYSPURS2008 9 years ago
76 540

Yes, him and BWP have been brilliant this season.

COYSPURS2008 9 years ago
76 540

Guys I think Dallas have a cause for concern. They haven't scored an open play goal yet in these playoffs and now go to quite arguably the most daunting away atmosphere to end that (unless they advance again through a penalty)

Another thing is that their penalties against Vancouver (which was a robbery) and Seattle were very questionable.

quikzyyy 9 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Why was it a robbery? (Didn't seen it)