Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Manchester United under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
tuan_jinn 5 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

3 games, 3 wins, from expected winnable games.

Now none of those teams is the real test, but could we expect domination against them prior to Ole, in the last 3 years? NO. we might even loose.

I like a few quotes today from experts in the fields:

It's the manager who put the smiles on those players face and they are enjoying playing football.

And,

Teams going to Old Trafford fearing what they have to face, we are seeing that AGAIN, now.

It's a no-ending debate whether it's the manager or it's the players, but for sure, the manager's job is to make the best out of the players, and to set up style, vision of playing style. For so long, I haven't been able to enjoy this type of football from MU, I give Ole all the credit for that. Mourinho also had a flying start, but this time I have a better feeling

Ofc, we are not naive to NOT knowing we haven't seen the real test yet, and it can go wrong, but from what I have seen, we are on the right track.

The back 4 are going mad, attacking, Shaw flies around wining balls. Rashford... what a wonder kid again.

And Pogba, ... I am seeing the Pogba of Juve, and France. enjoying his football and being a beast. Hope he stays on his feet.

Let us MU fans enjoy the end of 2018 guys.

Happy new year!!!

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Now none of those teams is the real test, but could we expect domination against them prior to Ole, in the last 3 years? No.

It's the manager who put the smiles on those players face and they are enjoying playing football.

And,

Teams going to Old Trafford fearing what they have to face, we are seeing that AGAIN, now.

It's an no-ending debate whether it's the manager or it's the players, but for sure, the manager job is to make the best out of the players, and to set up style, vision of playing style. For so long, I haven't been able to enjoy this type of football from MU, I give Ole all the credit for that.

Ofc, we are not naive to NOT knowing we haven't seen the real test yet, and it can go wrong, but from what I have seen, we are back.

The back 4 are going mad, attacking, Shaw flies around wining balls. Rashford... what a wonder kid again.

And Pogba, ... I am seeing the Pogba of Juve, and France. enjoying his football and being a beast. Hope he stays on his feet.

Happy new year!!!

Now none of those teams is the real test, but could we expect domination against them prior to Ole, in the last 3 years? NO. we might even loose.

And,

It's a no-ending debate whether it's the manager or it's the players, but for sure, the manager's job is to make the best out of the players, and to set up style, vision of playing style. For so long, I haven't been able to enjoy this type of football from MU, I give Ole all the credit for that.

Ofc, we are not naive to NOT knowing we haven't seen the real test yet, and it can go wrong, but from what I have seen, we are on the right track.

Happy new year!!!

Comments
trimind 5 years ago
Manchester United, Canada 3 533

Very well said, my Red Devils comrade!

I just take one game at a time, and hope for the best, and the game against Spurs will tell how far our team go.

Happy New Year everyone, and enjoy the upcoming matches!

the_bald_genius 5 years ago
10 1583

it's a fresh idea and start, I think that what matters. Now pogba has no excuses, he can't just be bored with a manager after 2-3 season lol. hopefully things work out. this season I see a lot of improvements from all top 6 in terms of goals scored which means there would be 4-1 4-0 5-1 scoreline more often.

iHEARTfootball 5 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

I will make my judgement on Ole after a series of matches against the big guns. However, I will give him props for having us play some proper attacking football against clubs we should be demolishing. Conceding one goal on all games is a bit of a worry though.

Eden17Hazard17 5 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

I honestly think Ole can have a successful future as a manager, but any interim manager coming into a struggling big club after a sacking is going to do well. The players are happy and refreshed, so are the other coaches as well as everyone else at the club, and from what I've seen with Chelsea, that makes all the difference on the pitch. It's a mental game.

I think if United finishes 6th then he's done his job. If Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs all play their best and United finishes 5th or 4th, or do well in the CL, then they've got to consider him for next season.

tuan_jinn 5 years ago

That's all true and we are waiting for the real test. I dont have the 100% confident this is the real thing all and all yet. Even half a season is a kind of short to evaluate.

Absolutely true that interim often bring fresh, and easier to impress compare to the previous sacked manager(s) (otherwise he/she wouldn't have been sacked).

The different I see know is the mental and style shift, which is what we are waiting for. Manchester United has lost the spark, the style etc... since Sir Alex retired, we experienced some awful style of football under Moyes, LVG with a lot of crosses, then defensive under Mou.

Solskjaer used to be in the successful period under Sir Alex, knew the training, knew the philosophy, knew certain things that worked. He is bringing that back.

tuan_jinn 5 years ago

Manager manages players, players perform and earn success. The dressing room, the training are the backbone of success. I don't believe in Mou's method, and all the drama around it (it proved success in the past, but things changed, a lot).

Look at sir Alex... miss these

tiki_taka 5 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

I think considering the circumstances and the athmosphere between Mou and the players, anyone would have been an upgrade.
That being said nicely surprised by the gap of goals United are creating lately, more than the 3 wins, being able to kill a game that fast is a mark of a big team.
Now the most complicated for a quality squad is not to reach this level but to stay consistently in it.
Promising 2nd leg of the season.

JozeV2 5 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 6 214

Solskjær is doing great, UTD feels like a new team that is hungry to win any cup that they can but, Solskjær does not have the pressure Mourinho had and besides that he has the players behind him. Of course they are gonna perform and win those games, they are much better than Cardiff and co. The real test will come with Spurs and PSG and even if the season ends undefeated with a good UCL run the season is still a disaster if you ask me. Only Chelsea had such terrible season when we were on Mourinho's 3rd season recently and we did not even make an EL spot.

Guardiola does not even allow smartphones and other stuff when we speak of obedience but I did not saw any MC player underperform for months. UTD will probably miss UCL and even if they make an EL spot this is such a downgrade to the clubs prestige but as long as the money from Asia and other bandwagon fan countries flow they will be ok with it. The club's level has fallen and immature players are haunting the squad. We had the same problem as Chelsea and it is quite obvious.

I do not know how to describe the situation but players like Fabregas, Diego Costa, Pogba, etc are fucked up brats that are underperforming when things don't go their way. That is unprofessional and I hope they pay for it, I wonder if any of us that is working started doing his job below par because of the manager's way of doing things made him feel uncomfortable or unpleasant who would lose their job? Us or the manager? Personally working as a barista despite my experience and my devotion to the job I would lose my job the next day and honestly our manager is a fucked up personality but I live with it and I still keep doing my job I don't serve piss inside my cocktails neither I make dicks and middle fingers on my cappucino latte art, that is why I get paid much more than other baristas in the hotel I am currently working.

amir_keal 5 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

United is scary again, hopefully their opponents were just really bad.

DarthFooty 5 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1098

While Ole has allowed the team to relax and play with some attacking flair, make no mistake that Sir Alex is in his ear BIG Time right now. If Ole is smart, and I think he is, he is taking tons of feedback from that man who helped set his own career up.

United have the players to make a strong run, but they still need to get over that mental bridge against the bigger teams before they can honestly feel they are back. The team needs to believe it before the fans should even consider it.

I love the positive play from United and yes, a team often does play well once they have come out of a negative situation. Let's let the boys show where they really are.

SunFlash 5 years ago
USA 19 3260

The attack has looked very free, and that's a good thing. The defense has also looked very free, and that isn't. The gaps are there, and against better team's we'd get punished. Ofc I would rather go down fighting than stagnant, so that's kind of a misnomer, but nevertheless I'm not optimistic about our chances against the big teams.

That said, I'm enjoying United again. That's enough for now.

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

That said, I'm enjoying United again. That's enough for now.

@Sunflash Hearing you say that made me a lot more happy than it should propably have. Glad to hear you're enjoying you're team again buddy, must have been a long time since you wanted this to happen.

@tuan Happy new year to you too! Wish all the best to you and the rest of United fans for 2019.

trimind 5 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Canada 3 533

Happy New Year to all of us footyroom people!

Well it was a rough year personally for me (2018), and the same with ManU before Ole taking over. Things are looking a lot brighter and we, ManU fans, enjoyed the team performance so much again!!!

Now, apart from the result point of view, ManU has not been solid at the back. If we ever face a strong team (Liv, ManC, Chel, Tot and Ars), the defensive weakness will be fatal. I know the real tests have yet to come, and we are allowed to be optimistic until the Spurs game, and then we will know how far we have gone in the season.

I mean our attacking force has been tremendous as it gets, Rashford, Martial, Pogba, Lingard, all have been in stellar form. And with the coming back of Sanchez and Lukaku, then it is even more dangerous. The midfield has done its job, with good pressing and chances created for the forwards. Youth players are banging in the door for more game time too. Angel Gomes, Tatith Chong, Mason Greenwood, James Garner, ... are all impressive and they are patiently waiting for their chances.

The main problem lies with our defense. Lindelof, Baily, Jones, Smalling, Rojo are not world class defenders, and it will take a lot for Ole to mould them into the type of players he wants, and it takes time. Overseeing the defensive structure, and tactical preparation is a paramount task to Ole and co. Luke Shaw might be the only bright spot on the left back position, but the right back position is seriously lacking. Dalot is a very promising young player, but he is not developed his game fully yet, and again it takes one or two seasons for him to mature into a great player. So for now, I would not be too worrying about the result (even if we are losing occasionally to big teams this season, then it's still fine, ManU is the work in progress, we are not finished yet!!!). Let the boys play and enjoy the game.

Let's keep playing with the firework brand of soccer!

• History

Happy New Year to all of us footyroom people!

Well it was a rough year personally for me (2018), and the same with ManU before Ole taking over. Things are looking a lot brighter and we, ManU fans, enjoyed the team performance so much again!!!

Now, apart from the result point of view, ManU has not been solid at the back. If we ever face a strong team (Liv, ManC, Chel, Tot and Ars), the defensive weakness will be fatal. I know the real tests have yet to come, and we are allowed to be optimistic until the Spurs game, and then we will know how far we have gone in the season.

I mean our attacking force has been tremendous as it gets, Rashford, Martial, Pogba, Lingard, all have been in stellar form. And with the coming back of Sanchez and Lukaku, then it is even more dangerous. The midfield has done its job, with good pressing and chances created for the forwards. Youth players are banging in the door for more game time too. Angel Gomes, Tatith Chong, Mason Greenwood, James Garner, ... are all impressive and they are patiently waiting for their chances.

The main problem lies with our defense. Lindelof, Baily, Jones, Smalling, Rojo are not world class defenders, and it will take a lot for Ole to mould them into the type of players he wants, and it takes time. Overseeing the defensive structure, and tactical preparation is a paramount task to Ole and co. Luke Shaw might be the only bright spot on the left back position, but the right back position is seriously lacking. Dalot is a very promising young player, but he is not developed his game fully yet, and again it takes one or two seasons for him to mature into a great player. So for now, I would not be too worrying about ManU result.

Let's keep playing with the firework brand of soccer!

_Pelle_ 5 years ago
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6884

I honestly expect a much tougher opponent in Man Utd now for PSG than when Mou was there. Mou has just become too easy to predict. Without him it seems as if the players are more free to also rely on individual skills. And with the quality players Man Utd has that can be scary. Big star players like Pogba needs some room to shine and cant be forced to follow a specific task/plan/strategy to its every detail. Thats what roleplayers are for... but to me it seems as if Mourinho expect slavelike submission to his plan from every player.

Ledley 5 years ago
Celtic, Australia 46 1310

Sir Alex Ferguson is back at training to help monitor the sessions **Update.

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

@Pelle Agreed, feel like PSG vs Manchester United is gonna be a whole different game now. Will be quite interesting no doubt.

tuan_jinn 5 years ago Edited

Amir & _pelle: thát the fear factor I am talking about.

• History

_pelle: thát the fear factor I am talking about.

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

Today games against Newcastle was rough though but that was more on Newcastle having a really decent game I feel. Still, 4 win in his 4 first games is a nice feat for Ole.

tuan_jinn 5 years ago

@Emo: true that, Newcastle was tough, played at home and fought hard. We had a fair share of possession with decent amount of chances in 2nd half. Ole reflected on game situation was great! Thats more joyful than a win.

And I think he did go for a clean sheet, that made us cautious and not all out attack. I hope makes Sanchez gaining back his confident too.

Too early for anything, but we seem on track.