Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Guardiola: Sensationally Overrated?
Amerr30 6 years ago
Real Madrid, Bosnia-Herzegovina 56 616

Has anyone changed their minds regarding Guardiola recently - especially following the City and Liverpool QF tie?

I know this has been discussed here over and over again, and we all know where everyone mostly is with regards to their views of Guardiola, but the more time goes by, the more people like myself and those who think he's overrated are proven right.

Has anyone jumped fences?

Comments
the_bald_genius 5 years ago
10 1583

can't say this beauty come from an overrated manager

quikzyyy 5 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

cos Pep made all the 44 passes himself I guess..

10 1583

Pep didnt make all the passing. But without pep, the players would not even think about making 44 passes.

amir_keal 5 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Spending money is pointless if you don't get the right quality. Bravo (well known gk for Barcelona) was bought for his ability to pass out from the back, but he was a joke. Ederson (not well known) somehow kicks the ball so out to the point where sometimes the strikers are and score.

Anyone can make mistakes, but what Pep is doing with City in terms of making PL look like a farmers League is enough. I can't hate on him because winning teams by 5 goals without evening needing 100% power is amazing.

Marcus2011 5 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Farmers league ahaha I actually like this expression but so much bitter out of spite none sense. Where was his brilliance in first season? He finished entire season without a trophy and didn't even put a serious challenge for any titles. Was Manchester City a weak team? Players he had at his possession weren't good enough? They lost to Everton 4-0! For god sake! That was embarrassing.

They performed poorly across all the competitions. Always on the edge, barely squeezing or outscoring to gain victory. Their outscoring wins ended in another embarrassment by loosing in CL to Monaco who had kids at their disposal? I honestly, don't think why so much credit is being given to kids to beat VERY experienced players who are mostly World Class.

Now, last year he finally spent enough to get the right players, he became the genius again? hahaha where is the logic?

I promise you all, owners of the City allowed him to spent so much because Guardiola promised them to win CL and turn city into European powerhouse.. so far it is ehhh alright .. Liverpool with less budget last year made EPL more proud than City with their pathetic and insulting attempt after spending so much money..

Same people here seem to demand unreal performances right from the start from the managers who inherited other managers' players, weren't given the budget or simply weren't given enough time to get it going. It has become rigid for managers but I am amazed that memory of Guardiola in Barcelona still shields him from fair criticism. Forget about Barcelona. He had some shade wins during those years that earned him title and he was lucky to take Barcelona while they had an amazing pool of talented players who literally grew up together. Allow any small team to keep their academy talented players, for example Monaco, and watch them turn into monster under a good not GENIUS but good world class manager. Barcelona had financial muscle to keep their talents and manager who was smart enough to make it work.

@tuan

You spent money like morons because you have a moron spending money who doesn't know jack sht about football but he is perfect at marketing and building brand. So, perhaps he should stick to his own job and let managers bring players they want. Clubs don't bring players just because manager wants it at times, but because they also think about long term investment because manager leaves next season and they are stuck with his purchase. Yet, i understand their thinking behind their decisions, i do still think that in the long run manager should always make the calls and who to bring into club.

We had Scolari who brought some bull sht players but also brought some great players who played amazingly for us after Scolari was fired prematurely.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Farmers league ahaha I actually like this expression but so much bitter out of spite none sense. Where was his brilliance in first season? He finished entire season without a trophy and didn't even put a serious challenge for any titles. Was Manchester City a weak team? Players he had at his possession weren't good enough? They lost to Everton 4-0! For god sake! That was embarrassing.

They performed poorly across all the competitions. Always on the edge, barely squeezing or outscoring. They are outscoring ended in another embarrassment by loosing in CL to Monaco who had kids at their disposal? I honestly, don't think why so much credit is being given to kids to beat VERY experienced players who are mostly World Class.

Now, last year he finally spent enough to get the right players, he became the genius again? hahaha where is the logic?

I promise you all, owners of the City allowed him to spent so much because Guardiola promised them to win CL and turn city into European powerhouse.. so far it is ehhh alright .. Liverpool with less budget last year made EPL more proud than City with their pathetic and insulting attempt after spending so much money..

Same people here seem to demand unreal performances right from the start from the managers who inherited other managers' players, weren't given the budget or simply weren't given enough time to get it going. It has become rigid for managers but I am amazed that memory of Guardiola in Barcelona still shields him from fair criticism. Forget about Barcelona. He had some shade wins during those years that earned him title and he was lucky to take Barcelona while they had an amazing pool of talented players who literally grew up together. Allow any small team to keep their academy talented players, for example Monaco, and watch them turn into monster under a good not GENIUS but good world class manager. Barcelona had financial muscle to keep their talents and manager who was smart enough to make it work.

@tuan

You spent money like morons because you have a moron spending money who doesn't know jack sht about football but he is perfect at marketing and building brand. So, perhaps he should stick to his own job and let managers bring players they want. Clubs don't bring players just because manager wants it at times, but because they also think about long term investment because manager leaves next season and they are stuck with his purchase. Yet, i understand their thinking behind their decisions, i do still think that in the long run manager should always make the calls and who to bring into club.

We had Scolari who brought some bull sht players but also brought some great players who played amazingly for us after Scolari was fired prematurely.

JozeV2 5 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 6 214

@Marcus That is so true honestly, Pellegrini had a good squad and Guardiola bottled it almost as bad as Spurs at his first season.

Marcus2011 5 years ago

Yes.

tiki_taka 5 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

I felt really sad to see Etoo leave that way, and really disappointed to see Ibra staying only one season. But what we tend to forget, after these radical decisions Barca won everything in 2009, 3 leagues 3 copas and 2 CL in 4 years.

We can also bring Joe Hart case, it’s not what would PeP a worse manager... His decisions were controversial but he got balls to apply them and it worked. He invented the false nine after Ibra departure, Messi ended up with 92 goals in a calendar year.

It’s like taking Mata or Balotelli opinion on Mou and making a case of it. When you search these kind of arguments to criticize a coach, the weakness of the critics proves only his greatness.

I believe you would be happy to see him leaving City, to stop their form.

JozeV2 5 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 6 214

Guardiola invented the false 9? Go back to basics dude.

tiki_taka 5 years ago

He did the modern way. The 9 playing wide in Villa or Henry and a false nine filling the space, I will find you an article about it later...
Anyway I prefer Klopp as I said earlier, I will criticize Pep the day he stops delivering not now.

JozeV2 5 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 6 214

The modern false 9 maybe, but its surely not invented by him. I guess use of the wrong word or not saying ''he invented the MODERN false 9*

Marcus2011 5 years ago

Except Balotelli and Mata, no where near the quality and legacy of Eto. He is a player who can be too straightforward but no one can accuse him of slacking in his training or football. Even at Chelsea at old age he had better spell than Balotteli at City. To me opinion of such maginitude player matters because he has the bragging rights.

I would be happy seeing Qatar prince leaving and selling the club. Guardiola will be replaced with another player tomorrow if he is fired today but the money that brings management and team to run the club will be always world class thus the team. Come, when Guardiola left and Barcelona fell apart?? No.

Your CL victories were highly controversial full of scandals especially 2009. As far as Messi Ofcourse he would have scored 92 goals, when I saw so many times that player would simply pass to him even when they had a clear chance to score like literrally there were wasn’t a competition to him. Why buy Ibrahimovic if he wanted to create false 9?

Did his false 9 worked out at Bayern? Playing Bundesliga again with already powerful team then buying more world class players directly from his rival too in the process weakening him, yet German management weren’t satisfied because they have more sense in understanding that weak with small competition leaague is in the hat every year but CL is where they wanted him to dominate. Qatar is expecting the same after he spent close to billion pounds! Shit. If he looses league this year they won’t care as much as him loosing another shot at CL when all the Giants of Europe aren’t in their best form ( yes Barcelona, Bayern hive and real aren’t clear contender at all)

Marcus2011 5 years ago

Well, yes sensationaly overrated indeed.

Dynastian98 5 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

I'd just like to point out that Sir Alex Ferguson won 2 CL titles and 13 PL titles in 26 years of managing United. Guardiola has won 2 CL titles and 7 league titles in 9 years of management. The CL is harder to win than you think.

With that being said, I also think that he sucks dick at managing two-legged ties. Especially in Europe.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I'd just like to point out that Sir Alex Ferguson won 2 CL titles and 13 PL titles in 26 years of managing United.

Guardiola has won 2 CL titles and 7 league titles in 9 years of management.

The CL is harder to win than you think.

tiki_taka 5 years ago

If Aguero was on side : a hero. If he scored the pk, PeP....

Now waiting for any single chance and they weren’t this season to hate on him. Simple hate, not any single reflection or objectivity... just hate.

They bottled first leg, still wonder why he played that line up benching KDB and Bernardo Silva for Gundogan Mahrez. I don’t know forms and dressing room issues but that line up was odd to me.

Second leg, there is absolutely nothing to be blamed for, he did everything right. Individual mistakes aren’t his...

Just like hating on Messi for Higuain Pk miss or chances missed. That’s a way to hate on people you hate.

Ex : i hâte Hazard + Chelsea are not doing well = Hazard is overrated.

Stupid logic with only aim of hating someone you already hate.

With his 4-4-2 in second leg, pochetino lost the tactical battle but got lucky Laporte and Son were decisive in different ways...

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

I agree with both Tiki and Dynast point (yes, even if they are pretty different) but I still believe Pep is an amazing coach with has some of the most splendid football playing style but its cannot be contested that he has trouble in two legged tie. Love him or hate him, its not going to change the fact his teams are some of the best in term of league domination but have harder time in CL.

Marcus2011 5 years ago

@tiki

You know what i will say: Peps 2009 and 2011 campaign wouldn't have happened if VAR was there! Simple.

If he is world class caliber manager ( which he is) then he should have foreseen every scenario where they may fall short against Tottenham. He has one billion pound team that he assembled himself, there are no excuses. Players did what they could do for City, so perhaps Guardiola should have closed game when it was 4-2.

I don't how Pochetinho lost tactical battle when he used players at his disposal to the best of their abilities. Honestly, you can blame goals City scored on individual mistakes of Spurs players, too.

10 1583

Yep no excuse, I have to admit. City played great but look at it this way, robben and bayern took 2 losses in finals before finally becoming champion. The bald guy will keep trying I guess.

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

He has one billion pound team that he assembled himself, there are no excuses.

I know this won't matter for much but I gotta say that a lot of the player in his team were overpriced when they were bought because of the recent rise in player price. Also, saying his team is the most valuable in the world atm isn't propably wrong but does it mean there isn't team with better player at certain position? I don't think so. Obviously, he spend a lots on his defense but I wouldn't say player like Stones, Laporte, Kyle Walker or Benjamin Mendy are the best in the world at their position. They are very good, maybe top 10 for certain of them but the price he bought them doesn't make them the best. I think the way all that money Pep spend really helped him was in bringing depth to his team.

What I'm trying to say is, while spending a lot and not getting results is bad from him, it shouldn't be alway used as a argument against him since all that money spend doesn't immediatly mean he has the superior player since a lot of them were overpaid imho.

Not trying to excuse him or whatever but I just don't find the money argument to be a good. I like better looking at the individual player first and foremost.

JozeV2 5 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 6 214

Just admit it, honestly.

He took someone's work (Cruyff) and someone else money (Insert rich arab money) and failed yet again in the UCL stages.

That does not make him a trash manager or overrated, BUT seems he can't deliver without controversy from the refs or a cheeky red card (:

But thats just my opinion