Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Favorite Books
Chanakya999 8 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Germany 56 167

Books are something I had liked when I was younger in elementary school but hated as time progressed. With me now being in the 10th grade about to enter 11th grade this August, I had somewhat come to the realization of liking books again and appreciating the amazing stories and worlds authors create. However, I can't seem to find time to read books due to homework, AP Exams, SAT/ACT, etc.

But with my summer break approaching, I had figured that I want to read a little so I can set my mind free, improve vocabulary, and somewhat build up my imagination.

In high school, I had read many books and novellas such as:

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok
Night by Elie Weisel
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Animal Farm by George Orwell

I had liked all of these books (with the exception of ATTWN and the challenging English in ATOTC) and these are books I would recommend you guys to read but alongside this, I want to know some other good books to read and what your favorite books to read are.

I like reading science fiction/dystopian and I have planned on trying to read Ender's Game and Harry Potter this year .
Please feel free to talk about books you love, books you would recommend to others, or even talking about parts of a book if more than one user has read the same book.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Books are something I had liked when I was younger in elementary school but hated as time progressed. With me now being in the 10th grade about to enter 11th grade this August, I had somewhat come to the realization of liking books again and appreciating the amazing stories and worlds authors create. However, I can't seem to find time to read books due to homework, AP Exams, SAT/ACT, etc.

But with my summer break approaching, I had figured that I want to read a little so I can set my mind free, improve vocabulary, and somewhat build up my imagination.

In high school, I had read many books and novellas such as:

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok
Night by Elie Weisel
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Animal Farm by George Orwell

I had liked all of these books (with the exception of ATTWN and the challenging English in ATOTC) and these are books I would recommend you guys to read but alongside this, I want to know some other good books to read and what your favorite books to read are.

I like reading science fiction/dystopian and I had planned on trying to read Ender's Game and Harry Potter this year .
Please feel free to talk about books you love, books you would recommend to others, or even talking about parts of a book if more than one user has read the same book.

Comments
Syd_The_Sqwid 8 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Italy 1 137

What's the point of reading if you can trap ( sell drugs )

• History

What's the point of reading if you trap ( sell drugs )

SunFlash 8 years ago Edited
USA 19 3260

I've read so much...

When I was in elementary school I read the entire children's fiction section of the library. I'm not exaggerating, I had to go over to the next county just to find books I hadn't read yet. When I became a teenager, all the fiction became slanted towards female readers, so after reading what little there was for guys, I ended up in non-fiction, which ended up being on the greatest things to ever happen to me. Politics, history, religion, philosophy, economics, I've read them consistently my entire life since age 14 and much of who I am today is based off of those years of research into the world.

However, more recently I've been trying to get back into fiction again, I find myself missing getting lost in a story, and while the logic and knowledge that comes from non-fiction is fascinating, sometimes I just want to venture into a different world and become someone else for awhile. I've been reading Bernard Cornwell's books which are historical fiction in feudal England, I find it easier to ease back into fiction with the historical fiction genre.

• History

I've read so much...

When I was in elementary school I read the entire children's fiction section of the library. I'm not exaggerating, I had to go over to the next county just to find books I hadn't read yet. When I became a teenager, all the fiction became slanted towards female readers, so after reading what little there was for guys, I ended up in non-fiction, which ended up being on the greatest things to ever happen to be. Politics, history, religion, philosophy, economics, I've read them consistently my entire life since age 14 and much of who I am today is based off of those years of research into the world.

However, more recently I've been trying to get back into fiction again, I find myself missing getting lost in a story, and while the logic and knowledge that comes from non-fiction is fascinating, sometimes I just want to venture into a different world and become someone else for awhile. I've been reading Bernard Cornwell's books which are historical fiction in feudal England, I find it easier to ease back into fiction with the historical fiction genre.

Chanakya999 8 years ago

@Syd Well unlike you, some people want to find ways to make the world a better place through innovation and creativity. Not trying to provoke any fight but you just provided an epitome of how not to end up, especially after reading your bio.

@SunFlash I love reading non-fiction as well because it helps me think about how the world used to be and how the world has changed throughout time, whether it be in sports, politics, history, etc. I have heard about Bernard Cornwell and I will look into possibly reading his books as I become older.

Tuanis 8 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Ive never read for pleasure so...

Best books I read in school:

Where the Red Fern Grows
The Giver
A Day No Pigs Would Die
To Kill a Mockingbird
Of Mice and Men

Syd_The_Sqwid 8 years ago
Arsenal, Italy 1 137

@chanakya, selling drugs is a creative lifestyle because you have to run away from Feds and have to meet up with a variety of customers. I have started drug dealing because I've read a book called quick dealership which influenced in my upbringing of selling drugs. Furthermore people should actually look up to me as a positive role model in society as I have had 5 A*'s in my GCSEs with 1 subject including English so I believe my lifestyle is balanced, the best way to spend a day is to read a book while high :) I'm more creative when I'm high.

Chanakya999 8 years ago

@Tuanis I have read and seen The Giver and it is a really good book that I enjoyed throughout. I had tried to read 1984 but it is so hard to catch a grasp onto it due to so many details and long chapters. I know that it is a classic and I liked George Orwell's Animal Farm so I will definitely try to read it this summer.

@Syd My gut instinct tells me that you are lying but then again, I wouldn't be surprised if you got 5 A's in your GCSE's. It doesn't even matter anyway but I know for a fact that drugs is something I will stay away from due to my age, ethics, and future plans.

Syd_The_Sqwid 8 years ago
Arsenal, Italy 1 137

@chanakya, fair enough, I inderatand why you and many others wouldn't want to choose the pathway of trapping. Due to me being Rastafarian , my thoughts of weed were very welcomed as well as through my black community.

SoccerBoss 8 years ago
Barcelona, Russia 34 804

Holy cow, F451 is honestly probably the most boring book I've ever read.

Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon is a very good book, would recommend.

Emobot7 8 years ago
538 11426

Man, I don't read half as much as I should, a recent huge trilogy I read was the Romance of Three Kingdom, it wasn't as boring as I originaly thought and I liked it because I alway enjoy story putting in place military conflict wich are lead by brillant strategist and bold general. I was trying to read Journey to the Center of the Earth as well recently, I enjoy classic and its good to pass time a bit before going to sleep.

liomessi10 8 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

Used to like books like famous fiva and secret seven. Now i really enjoy world war 2 books and holocaust books.
@tuanis ive got where the red fern grows and tokillamockingbird and ive started bothand got bored

rayrex7 8 years ago
Real Madrid, Croatia 26 797

2 books I recommend you guys should read are

Boy in the stripped Pyjamas
The Boy on top of the mountains

Both are written by John boyne. Its pretty fascinating and gives you the behind the scenes feel during hitlers era.

saatvik10 8 years ago
Manchester United, India 27 540

I love reading books and I have prettty much read every fantasy/science fiction young adult book series there is. I highly recommend -

1. Harry Potter (classic)
  2. A Song of Ice and Fire (the books on which Game of Thrones is based - believe me, while the show is brilliant, they miss out on many things)
  3. The Hunger Games series
  4. Divergent series
nandaYNWA 8 years ago Edited
Liverpool, Australia 87 946

lol literally the most popular books in the 21st century ^^^^

i could read all day. just finished jane eyre by charlotte bronte because my friend recommended it to me, its about 500 pages but definitely worth the read. bronte is a bloody genius. great author.

favourite series of all time: the tomorrow series by john marsden (aussie author not very well known abroad)

favourite book of all time: too many to choose from ugh.

the divergent series had great potential but the third book ruined everything for me and the second wasn't too good either.

life of pi was fantastic. shoutout to lord of the flies and the kite runner though, amazing books. recommend them to everyone.

• History

i could read all day. just finished jane eyre by charlotte bronte because my friend recommended it to me, its about 500 pages but definitely worth the read. bronte is a bloody genius. great author.

favourite series of all time: the tomorrow series by john marsden (aussie author not very well known abroad)

the divergent series had great potential but the third book ruined everything for me and the second wasn't too good either.

liomessi10 8 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

The Best Books I've Read:

World War II:
Number The Stars (Lois Lowry)
Once, Then, After and Soon Series (Morris Glietzmann)
Billy The Kid (Michael Morpurgo)
The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas (John Boyne)

Others
Chinese Cindarella (Don't Know Author)
Roll Of Thunder Hear My Cry (Mildred Taylor)

srk_rox 8 years ago
Liverpool 5 542

Born in a family where school books are books and no entertainment, I somehow found interest in 'the three investigators' series..
I have read like seven books from this series.
Now i have completed my college, i want to go back to reading books. Currently I am reading 'Rage of angels' by Sidney Sheldon. Totally enjoying his portrayal of a scene and his choice of words.
Looking forward to read more books in the future. :)

ThatGuyYouKnow 8 years ago Edited
Halifax, Germany 0 27

'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho
'The Artist's way' by Julia Cameron (Currently i am reading this)
'The Odyssey' by Homer
'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' by J. K. Rowling
'I Will Teach You To Be Rich' by Ramit Sethi
'The Millionaire Next Door' by Thomas J. Stanley and William D.
I like design, especially Graphic Design, thats why i had read some books about them.
'Adobe Premier Elements 12 Classroom in a Book' by Adobe Creative Team
'The Little Know-It-All: Common Sense for Designers' by Silja Bilz
'Things I Have Learned in My Life So Far' by Stephan Sagmeister

And of course,Some other books by albanian writers. (Argjentt96)

• History

'The Odyssey' by Homer
I like design, especially Graphic Design, thats why i read some books about them.

And of course,i read some other books by albanian writers.

'The Odyssey' by Homer
I like design, especially Graphic Design, thats why i read some books about them.

And of course,Some other books by albanian writers. (Argjentt96)

chelsea8 8 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

I don't read books, i mean it's like impossibble for me bcuz i find it really boring, but i admire people who can.

saatvik10 8 years ago
Manchester United, India 27 540

@nanda I have to agree with you - the third Divergent book was weak. If you are interested in the genre, other than the popular books, I would recommend -
Artemis Fowl series
Animorphs
Any of the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew books
I rarely read anything other than the fiction/detective genre so I don 't know much about non-ficion books.

Dynastian98 8 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie
The Lord Of The Flies - Sir William Golding
Sherlock Holmes (Entire Series) - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Elegant Universe - Brian Greene
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles - Haruki Murakami
Heart Of Darkness - Joseph Conrad

decentK 8 years ago
Arsenal 38 2896

I don't read.

But if you accept autobiographies, then Jag är Zlatan.