Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Champion League Talk!
Emobot7 4 years ago
538 11432

Been a while since we last talked about CL, isn't? The group phase is nearly over, thats for sure and today's game were great for a neutral. There were some crazy scenario and it was quite exciting to watch. Here some of them:

• Lyon coming back from 2-0 to qualify as second of the group while Zenith failed to draw against Benfica.
  • Valencia eliminating last year semi-finalist Ajax in a 1-0 win.
  • BVB managing to be the first team to beat Slavia Prague at home (yep, Slavia draw every away game in CL) in the CL this season. Shoot-out to Burki who made some great stop in that game to keep his team at 2-1.
  • Ansu Fati becoming the youngest CL goalscorer with a beautifull strike to secure Barca win over Inter and dooming the Italian club to play the rest of their european campaign in Europa league.

So my final thought about today are:

• That I'm kinda glad Lyon got in over Zenith, neither are looking too great, but I really think that Lyon has higher potential than Zenith.
  • That I'm kinda dissapointed the Liverpool vs Salzbourg game wasn't more crazy like last time around. Would have been more fun.
  • That while I'm sad to see Conte Inter out already, I hope this mean he chose to focus more on the league and less on their european campaign.
  • That I really don't know what to think about Valencia. I mean, in a sense, it was quite the offset but on the other hand, I feel like they are just a bit less competitive than Ajax and that in the long run, them being in the knockout round isn't as interesting as if Ajax had made it.

Finally, about tomorrow, there is only 2 team I believe who aren't yet qualified already, meaning its ain't going to be quite as interesting but I'll talk about it nevertheless. The first of those team can be either Chakhtar, Dinamo and Atalanta and the second will be either Atletico or Bayer. Personally, I gonna predict Atalanta beating Chakhtar and qualifying in group C and Atletico beating Lokomotiv and finishing second in group D. What about you though?

Comments
tuan_jinn 4 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912
  • I'm sad for Ajax, but they were obviously weakened, horrible at home. They still play awesome, fun football, but they dont have enough quality to have the same success as last year in CL
  • I found Valencia won the table was strange and undeserved. Way to lucky. Lost to Chelsea, barely survived Ajax, ugly football. Seriously, no one can call that great defending... they suffered, other teams just couldn't finish. They might be the next Chelsea when they crawl through the final back then though).
  • Inter out were quite surprising considered how they lost against Barca B and how they are flying in Serie A
tiki_taka 4 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

@tuan they have, from the few i saw from their groupstage they dominated Chelsea and Valencia at home. they were very unlucky vs Chelsea both legs and missed Promes and Neres in the last game.
they need more experience, its a real loss for good football lovers, i really like teams that doesnt calculate much...

well well well, Chelsea got only themselves to blame not finishing first, possible opponents, Barça, PSG, Bayern, Juventus, and since City and Liverpool ended up first, the chances to draw one of these, are very high. Same for Madrid, i would love a Liverpool/City vs Madrid Tho :D

Leipzig are the only sexy draw for clubs who qualified 2nd.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@tuan they have, from the few i saw from their groupstage they dominated Chelsea and Valencia at home. they were very unlucky vs Chelsea both legs and missed Promes and Neres in the last game.
they need more experience, its a real loss for good football lovers, i really like teams that doesnt calculate much...

well well well, Chelsea got only themselves to blame not finishing first, possible opponents, Barça, PSG, Bayern, Juventus, and since City and Liverpool ended up first, the chances to draw one of these, are very high. Same for Madrid, i would love a Liverpool/City vs Madrid Tho :D

Golefty 4 years ago
Toronto FC 27 1016

@tiki can two teams from the same nationality play in the round of 16, more specifically can Dortmund draw Leipzig?

maybe inter can win seria A now that they have less games to play, was a great group stage to watch

Emobot7 4 years ago
538 11432

@Golefty Pretty sure they can't get either Bayern, Barcelona or Leipzig. Sorry mate. Then again, BVB might get Valencia, so its ain't so bad.

To be honest, this year, there is lots of quality team on both side. Other than Atalanta, Lyon, Leipzig and Valencia, there isn't that many easier draw I would say personally. All other team who qualified got a chance for me.

Anyway, I run a simulator if you're interested: enter image description here

Here the link if you want to run your own: https://draw.inker.one/#/cl/ko

tiki_taka 4 years ago Edited

@Golefty Nope, reason why Leipzig are the only " easy " draw for Chelsea, which is not 100 per cent true.

@emo Napoli - Barça is a new fixture, would be interesting to play them.

• History

@Golefty Nope, reason why Leipzig are the only " easy " draw for Chelsea, which is not 100 per cent true.

Emobot7 4 years ago
538 11432

@tiki_taka Yep, agreed. Though I really wonder if Napoli under Gatuso is gonna up to their usual standard.

amir_keal 4 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

I've said this at the start of the season and I'll say it again. Real Madrid will win the CL this year. The midfield has been the biggest worry at the start of the season, but Casemiro Kroos and Valverde have been excellent this season.

Emobot7

Those are some nice ties, Bayern will want revenge, Ronaldo back to Madrid, Atletico vs Paris is something new. I find it funny how the draws are set up to have an underdog each year, from those teams it could be Leipzig.

Ledley 4 years ago Edited
Celtic, Australia 46 1310

Anyone else glad the group stages are over? Games used to be close, now the gaps are widening, and its the same teams reaching the last 16.

• History

Am i the only person who is glad the group stages are over? Games used to be close, now the gaps are widening, and its just the same teams reaching the finals year in/year out.

iHEARTfootball 4 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

MAN CITY v REAL MADRID in the Ro16. This will be interesting.

amir_keal 4 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

I would say PSG can win the CL, but I remember they failed to beat United. They've gotten stronger, but I still haven't seen enough that they can challenge the elite. They beat Real. but they did the same with Bayern a few years ago, and that didn't end very well. I'd still give them a slight chance but winners need experience/luck. Not only have they been insanely unlucky, they've failed to go past the QF.

Bayern and Juve, no chance.

I don't rate Barcelona right now, but if they get lucky with the draw they could do something. They scored 3 against Liverpool which is incredible. They're playing so bad but it won't stop them from somehow getting a potential treble, just how they somehow only won 1 trophy last season.

My tie thoughts

Liverpool could have the league finished by the Atletico game, I expect them to go very far once again.
City got very unlucky, will be close but I'm going with Real
Atalanta will edge it over Valencia, this is purely gut.
PSG will beat Dortmund
BM will be hungry for revenge, and they will get it
Juventus got the best draw, will beat Lyon
Spurs got a tough draw, but I think they'll just about make it.
Barcelona will beat Napoli

Marcus2011 4 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501
  • Real madrid , Liverpool Atalanta PSG Bayern Munich Juventus Spurs
    Barcelona

I say bet parlay and it will be nice return.

tiki_taka 4 years ago

Napoli is not a gift, their style of play can cause problems. It's a mini Barcelona with possession football and technical players... The job needs to be done. Well predicted mate.

City - Madrid is a 40-60, could be a 50-50 but Madrid got that tactical edge and experience. Not that City haven't, City revolutioned British football, Pep had to deal with British specificity, he suffered from second balls and long balls, he discovered that clubs intentionally look for aerial duels sending long balls and looking to win second balls. He limited second year this influence by pressing high and obliging the passers to throw the ball instead of looking for target men which made City less exposed to low quality teams. But it's not the case against Madrid, pressing won't help Madrid defense is 'ore technical than some clubs midlefield, and players like Kroos or Modric do not try to win a second ball, they look for the smooth long ball or build from the back. Which will end up in a midlefield battle with both teams having to attack in their momentum... I think they need a huge City to get through an average Madrid in a double confrontation.

Liverpool Atletico is also a dream fixture, but it's a 80-20 for reds, imo the most complete club right now, British clubs have technical GK since pep/klopp revolution, so reds are also playing with an additional defender, but Atelti is the most organized team while in form. Their finishing right now is horrible so reds will go through if no surprise.

Louis15 4 years ago Edited
Paris Saint-Germain, France 0 59

This year I see no team being exceptional in their own league like it could have been the case in previous years.
The only teams would be PSG (but then again like almost always in League 1) and obviously Liverpool (but one might argue that their main focus is the PL this year). So I see no real big favorite this year.
That being said, these are my predictions for this round:

• PSG : I believe they just have been playing better and have a more talented squad. Tough game nonetheless + PSG are becoming famous for fuck ups so...
  • City : Again though game that could go either way but I think Pep will focus on the CL since winning the PL is almost out of reach for them.
  • Valencia: just because of experience but I haven't seen them play lately honestly so...
  • Liverpool: Atleti is obviously a good team but Liverpool are the best playing team altogether right now.
  • Bayern: Their CL form has been near perfect, I believe their experience will give them the win. Still interesting game though.
  • Juventus: easiest prediction... (Lyon also lost Depay to injury)
  • RB Leipzig: Though decision (I wrote Tottenham first but changed my mind). I just like RB Leipzig's football and believe they can suprise a few teams this year. Mourinho will not be easy to beat though... Interesting game
  • Barcelona: Again, Napoli is a good team but their form has not been the best and Barcelona... well its Barcelona
  • History

This year I see no team being exceptional in their own league like it could have been the case in previous years.
The only teams would be PSG (but then again like almost always in League 1) and obviously Liverpool (but one might argue that their main focus is the PL this year). So I see no real big favorite this year.

• PSG : I believe they just have been playing better and have a more talented squad. Though game nonoo

• PSG : I believe they just have been playing better and have a more talented squad. Though game nonetheless + PSG are getting famous for fuck ups ...
  • City : Again though game that could go either way but I think Pep will focus on the CL since winning the PL is almost out of reach for them.
  • Valencia: just because of experience but I haven't seen them play lately honestly so...
  • Liverpool: Atleti is obviously a good team but Liverpool are the best playing team altogether right now.
  • Bayern: Their CL form has been near perfect, I believe their experience will give them the win. Still interesting game though.
  • Juventus: easiest prediction... (Lyon also lost Depay to injury)
  • RB Leipzig: Though decision (I wrote Tottenham first but changed my mind). I just like RB Leipzig's football and believe they can suprise a few teams this year. Mourinho will not be easy to beat though... Interesting game
  • Barcelona: Again, Napoli is a good team but their form has not been the best and Barcelona... well its Barcelona
Emobot7 4 years ago Edited
538 11432

OHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Yeah, I'm getting hyped for the CL guys.
Anyway, I haven't made my prediction last time it seem and thing have changed for some team so here I go:

PSG vs Dortmund: Dortmund got Haland and it would be impressive if he managed to score but even if it happened, doubt it would be enough for BVB to make it throught. Expecting PSG to get through rather comfortably.

City vs Real: Will be close for sure but considering Real form, especially in defense, I expect City to barely come on top.

Atalanta vs Valencia: Will be close but to be honest, I think Atalanta will get through, they are one of the best offensive team in Europe right now and I think this will play in their adavantage.

Liverpool vs Atletico Madrid: Really feel like Liverpool is gonna get through, their form is still very solid unlike Atletico who have been having a rough season for their standard if I'm being honest.

Bayern vs Chelsea: Considering the teams current form, it should be Bayern, but I would be really happy if Chelsea won it and I think they could actually do it as well, though a lot would depend on Lampard. He has been pretty good against bigger team.

Leipzig vs Tottenham: I think Mou will win it if he can keep the current dynamic he has. The win against City will be a big boost but obviously, they will miss Kane during the first leg.

Barcelona vs Napoli: Both team are dissapointing this season and their current form isn't much more brillant. A win from Barca is my prediction though.

Edit: I also think that Juventus is going to beat Lyon but lets be honest, that ain't the hardest of prediction.

• History

OHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Yeah, I'm getting hyped for the CL guys.
Anyway, I haven't made my prediction last time it seem and thing have changed for some team so here I go:

PSG vs Dortmund: Dortmund got Haland and it would be impressive if he managed to score but even if it happened, doubt it would be enough for BVB to make it throught. Expecting PSG to get through rather comfortably.

City vs Real: Will be close for sure but considering Real form, especially in defense, I expect City to barely come on top.

Atalanta vs Valencia: Will be close but to be honest, I think Atalanta will get through, they are one of the best offensive team in Europe right now and I think this will play in their adavantage.

Liverpool vs Atletico Madrid: Really feel like Liverpool is gonna get through, their form is still very solid unlike Atletico who have been having a rough season for their standard if I'm being honest.

Bayern vs Chelsea: Considering the teams current form, it should be Bayern, but I would be really happy if Chelsea won it and I think they could actually do it as well, though a lot would depend on Lampard. He has been pretty good against bigger team.

Leipzig vs Tottenham: I think Mou will win it if he can keep the current dynamic he has. The win against City will be a big boost but obviously, they will miss Kane during the first leg.

Barcelona vs Napoli: Both team are dissapointing this season and their current form isn't much more brillant. A win from Barca is my prediction though.

Pupper 4 years ago
Juventus 0 214

Do you mean, considering Real have been the best team defensively along with Liverpool this season, you expect City to barely come on top?

Emobot7 4 years ago
538 11432

@Pupper They have been good defensively, but I feel both Ramos and Varane form haven't been the most steady one. So I think City might take advantage of that and barely manage to come on top.

DarthFooty 4 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1098

Here are my picks to come through the round of 16.

Liverpool
Dortmund
Atalanta
RB Leipzig
Bayern
Barca
Juve
Man City

Emobot7 4 years ago Edited
538 11432

Liverpool lost 1-0 to Atletico, that I did not see coming. Atletico Madrid might try defend their lead at Anfield. Don't think it would work though. Second leg will be interesting.

Haland scoring a brace against PSG will make people speak and seriously, it would be a pleasant surprise if BVB won on overall.

Atalanta is crazy good and Leipzig hardwork against Spurs was rewarded. The second legs should be interesting.

• History

Liverpool lost 1-0 to Atletico, that I did not see coming. Atletico Madrid might try defend their lead at Anfield. Don't think it would work though. Second leg will be interesting.

Haland scoring a brace against PSG will make people speak and seriously, it would be a pleasant surprise if BVB won on overall.

Atalanta is crazy good Leipzig hardwork against Spurs was rewarded.

DarthFooty 4 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1098

Plenty of second leg drama already and the round is only half completed. Love seeing more teams be a threat!

tiki_taka 4 years ago

@darthfooty, i feel you will get it 100% right