Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Calling all United brothers/sisters.
iHEARTfootball 4 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

Headlines are saying that Sancho is still our priority for the upcoming transfer window. But the Werner rumours are giving me a headache now because of his release clause, which is half (or less) of what Sancho is. I prefer we continue prioritising on Sancho, since I think our playstyle would benefit more from another attack-minded winger rather than a lone striker.

Just to hear your POV, who would you prefer we get in the summer?

And if there is another player you'd like to give a shout out to, let us know.

Comments

We can make all the excuses we want about the Crystal Palace match but that's textbook Hodgeson-tactics right there. Ole was out-tactic-ed, fair and square, and our defensive line up indeed needs more adding. Just because we had one of the best defensive line-ups last season shouldn't keep us from wanting to sign more quality centrebacks. I like Lindelof but that man makes some of the most fatal mistakes. Ever since the reopening, he's been on a seriously concerning dip, in comparison to Maguire. I'm not that all convinced by the Alex Telles signing, to be perfectly honest, too. I'd rather us cash in big for someone like Upamecano or someone who can lift up the spirits amongst us fans once again.

Emobot7 4 years ago Edited
538 11432

@Sunflash I know most of you are gonna say its not an excuse but I thought Crystal Palace was just really good all around in that game. That team alway had hight potential despite being inconsistent most of the time.

@iHEARTfootball Upamecano with Maguire could actually be really interesting tbh. Lindelof could stay as a rotation player.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Sunflash I know most of you are gonna say its not an excuse but I thought Crystal Palace was just really good all around in that game. That team alway had hight potential despite being inconsistent most of the time.

quikzyyy 4 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Upamecano extended his contract this summer tho.

SunFlash 4 years ago
USA 19 3260

Ole was out-tactic-ed, fair and square,

That was my interpretation.

They weren't. They converted one solid chance they had, got a lucky PK, and then a 3rd once United was in full attack mode. Their defense was solid, but it was MUCH more United being poor than Palace being good.

Emobot7 4 years ago
538 11432

@Sunflash Hum... Ok. In my defense, I only saw part of the game so I won't argue. 😅

@quikzyyy Make sense that Leipzig would have extended him as fast as possible after his season.

ashwin1729 4 years ago
Manchester United, England 10 704

Ole's tactics has been mediocre at best and have been stale for sometime now. His approach has just been sit back and counter against big teams- which doesn't work well against the likes of small teams that are more physical and park the bus. Arsenal will beat us to top 4 this season. It'll be a dog fight between Chlesea, Everton, Wolves, Foxes, and us for that 4th spot this year.

Our transfer approach this season makes 0 fucking sense. We all know the needs are a CB, RB, and a possible CDM. Who do we go after? A right winger. We signed an attacking mid when our team has enough attackers. Instead of playing a formation that suits the players, why we try to force players to play a different formation, makes 0 sense.

Loved Ole as a player. He should not be a manager for this club IMO.

Emobot7 4 years ago
538 11432

First win of the season, despite it not being a very convincing one. United defense truly doesn't feel reassuring, I don't know if its because the players are still tired or that they didn't have enough preparation time to be completely fit but unless they change something, I fear they might have a hard time ahead of them.

SunFlash 4 years ago
USA 19 3260

It's a tough one Emo. United should've lost that game based off of the performance. Lindelof was bad again, Wan-Bissaka was the worst I'd ever seen him, his positioning gave Brighton about five clean shots at the net from crosses, I just can't comprehend that.

I don't really buy the fitness argument for anyone other than Pogba (boy had COVID not a month ago). The biggest complaint regarding United when they play poorly is that their tempo, both in possession and out, is very low. We saw that in spades against Brighton. Bringing in new players isn't going to fix that, that's an Ole problem.

We'll see, but I'm concerned. On the plus side Chelsea, Spurs, and co are dropping points as well, and let's be real United is not a title challenger anymore so if we're aiming for top four that's relevant.

538 11432

@Sunflash Yes, I kinda see what you mean about tempo. But as you said, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and City have all started dropped point already so no doubt United can still aim, as of now at least, for a top four finish. They'll need to be carefull of some outsider though. Everton and Leicester been looking really good, sometime a good momentum can make an huge difference for these so United and the rest should try not to let them pick up to many point on them.

• History

@Sunflash Yes, I kinda see what you mean about tempo. But as you said, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and City have all started dropped point already so no doubt United can still aim, as of now at least, for a top four finish. They'll need to be carefull of some outsider as well. Everton and Leicester been looking really good, sometime a good momentum can make an huge difference for these so United and the rest should try not to let them pick up to many point on them.

Off topic, but who else here is getting infuriated by the board's lack of transfer activity. This, to me, tops the Fellaini saga.

538 11432

@iHEARTfootball To be completely honest and while I agree its not really a good thing, I think from what we've seen last season from United that they don't really need too many new player. What they need is to perform consistently. Basically, play the way they did at the end of last season.

Obviously, with the current squad, I doubt you guys can challenge for either the CL or the PL but lets be honest, with how strong the rivals as become, even if United signed player like Sancho, I wouldn't rate their chance too highly. No, right now, United should aim to perform to the best they can and establish themselve as a team which can consistenly get into the top 4 spot.

On a different note though, I heard you guys were linked with Ousmane Dembele (the one at Barcelona just to be sure everyone know who I'm talking about) for a fee around 50M to 60M euros. Don't know what to think of that if its true.

• History

@iHEARTfootball To be completely honest and while I agree its not really a good thing, I think from what we've seen last season from United that they don't really need too many new player. What they need is to perform consistently. Basically, play the way they did at the end of last season.

Obviously, with the current squad, I doubt you guys can challenge for either the CL or the PL but lets be honest, with how strong the rivals as become, even if United signed player like Sancho, I wouldn't rate their chance too highly. No, right now, United should aim to perform to the best they can and establish themselve as a team which can consistenly get into the top 4 spot.

On a different note though, I heard you guys were linked with Ousmane Dembele for a fee around 50M to 60M euros. Don't know what to think of that if its true.

ashwin1729 4 years ago

Transfers have sucked since Woodard took over. And that's an understatement.

Only decent transfer window was when we signed Pogba- looking back, besides Zlatan, no one has really done anything better than mediocre. Bailly is good, but always injured. Mhiki ran into Jose. Pogba is good when his mood swings that way. Zlatan gave one decent season and left. We didn't even make top 4 that season- won Europa to make to UCL next year.

SunFlash 4 years ago
USA 19 3260

Only decent transfer window was when we signed Pogba- looking back, besides Zlatan, no one has really done anything better than mediocre.

Think you're not doing last season justice.

Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, and Fernandes were excellent additions to the squad. James started good and has turned out to be below par.

One of the reasons I was so excited for this window was because Ole's signing were actually good, as opposed to LVG and Mou who constantly signed players who underperformed. There was legitimately a period between 2014-2019 where I don't think a single transfer played better for United than they had for their previous team.

On a different note though, I heard you guys were linked with Ousmane Dembele (the one at Barcelona just to be sure everyone know who I'm talking about) for a fee around 50M to 60M euros. Don't know what to think of that if its true.

I heard that as well, but a loan with option to buy. While I wouldn't be against that, apparently Liverpool offered the same thing and he turned it down. I also hear that we bid for Alex Telles, but wouldn't meet a 20M asking price, which is already cheap AF.

All of this aside, I stand by my first comment in this thread:

I just want a *** right winger

How we can have gone from the time Di Maria left to now without having a player who functions as an attacking right winger, I do not have the foggiest f*cking clue.

Emobot7 4 years ago
538 11432

I heard that as well, but a loan with option to buy. While I wouldn't be against that, apparently Liverpool offered the same thing and he turned it down.

Well, to be honest, he wouldn't get much playing time at Liverpool while I believe he would actually have a shot at making the first team at United. Also, that French connection with Pogba and Martial would be nice. :D

Emo,

To be completely honest and while I agree its not really a good thing, I think from what we've seen last season from United that they don't really need too many new player. What they need is to perform consistently. Basically, play the way they did at the end of last season.

I would disagree with what you said about us needing to play like we did, just like it was for last season. The way I see it, we played for penalties. A lot of it. This can't last forever, and our top 4 finish was a scrape in the barrell. It wasn't convincing at all, if we're talking solely about results. With the exception of Liverpool, United is not supposed to be in the same stature as City, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc - we're supposed to be above it, hence, why, as Jose put it so eloquently when he was first appointed manager, Chelsea and co are 'big' but we are the "Giants."

The ambition displayed by the board doesn't mirror the ambition that Ole, his team, and the rest of us, fans, share. This is a serious problem that needs to be addressed, rather than sitting back and accepting to be stalled for yet another season. Make no mistake here, we are not in to challenge for a top 4 finish. We are in to challenge for the title, and the first step now is to close the gap between us and Liverpool, and the Sancho signing will be a step towards this. Even if we do end up signing him, it's still not enough.

The level of communication between the incompetent board and the fans is a disgrace, let alone, ex-players who died for this club to be where we're at. The likes of Rio, Evra, Keane, Scholes, and shit, even Neville now, are blantantly expressing their discontempt for how the club is being run. As a fan, I say again that this is infuriating to live with, day by day. The board are literally turning us into a laughing stock. End of rant.

Emobot7 4 years ago
538 11432

With the exception of Liverpool, United is not supposed to be in the same stature as City, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc - we're supposed to be above it, hence, why, as Jose put it so eloquently when he was first appointed manager, Chelsea and co are 'big' but we are the "Giants."

Football changed, Manchester United has not been giant for a long time now. Jose among other is one of the prime example of people not realizing that... or at least, not realizing how much thing have changed in a short time.

We are in to challenge for the title, and the first step now is to close the gap between us and Liverpool

Well, tbh, thats still a long way from happening. Obviously, if we are talking long term, then obviously, United should aim for challenging for the title. But honestly, I don't think its happenin anytime soon. :( Which is why I think United short term goal should be top four finish and staying there consistently. With how competitive the PL is getting, this would actually be a good start.

As a fan, I say again that this is infuriating to live with, day by day. The board are literally turning us into a laughing stock.

Fair enough lad, I understand where you coming from and I sympathize mate. :(

SunFlash 4 years ago
USA 19 3260

Football changed, Manchester United has not been giant for a long time now. Jose among other is one of the prime example of people not realizing that... or at least, not realizing how much thing have changed in a short time.

Hard disagree. Clubs are big because of their infrastructure, investment potential, global brand, reach, fan support, etc etc. Not the on-field performance.

Leicester winning the Premier League did not make them a big club. Ditto the odd club that makes it to the UCL semi-finals, or even final. This is why you'll see Spurs and West Ham (as examples) sacrifice their squad investment for long-term assets like stadiums.

If United's on-field performance begins to be mirrored by failures on the financial and commercial side (see: A.C. Milan), then yes, they'll lose their status. But not yet.

ashwin1729 4 years ago

Think you're not doing last season justice.

I wasn't clear- expectations of the transfer window is what I meant.

Even last season, the summer wasn't that great- we haven't signed anyone that we wanted or expected to sign besides 2 good defenders.We lost a proven striker, a really good midfielder, and didn't replace them in Summer. So I'd say it was a mediocre window. If we hadn't signed Bruno, it would be a crap window IMO.

On a different note- how does it feel to be in group of Death? Last time we were in such group, we didn't even make it out of the knock out rounds under LVG.

Emobot7 4 years ago
538 11432

@Sunflash Fair enough, basically I was trying to say that compared to their previous form and other giants that are doing really well in the league like Liverpool, Manchester City and even Chelsea to a certain level, United wasn't doing so hot.

However, its true they are still a very strong organisation. And if you compare them with team who have kinda lost their relevance in their own domestic like Milan or Lyon, its obvious United in the last few years was still much more relevant in their own league. So, on that point, I will agree with you.

Still think that sadly, United expectation shouldn't be too high for the near future.

@ashwin PSG will be first of the group no doubt. Basaksehir have had a very poor form this season so unless they correct that quickly, I don't expect them to do well in the CL. So it will between United and Leipzig. Personally think United got the ressource to make it second in that group even if it won't be a walk in the park.

Emo,

Well, tbh, thats still a long way from happening. Obviously, if we are talking long term, then obviously, United should aim for challenging for the title. But honestly, I don't think its happenin anytime soon. :( Which is why I think United short term goal should be top four finish and staying there consistently. With how competitive the PL is getting, this would actually be a good start.

Well, even as a short term goal, which should be recruiting the right type of players that will help us solidify our position in the top 4, our progress is so pathetic. As Sun pointed out, United's infrastructure, reach, facilities, brand, history, etc, is mountains above other rivals. It is not the richest club in the world for no reason. If you're talking about standards here, our standards should be astronomically higher than the circus we're seeing right now. If anything, a lot of us, fans, are lowering our expectations out of pure sympathy because of how incompetent the board operating. Well, at least, I am.