21 186

NEW THREAD: Why you started supporting your club

Comments
Zakzook 10 years ago
Arsenal, Syria 32 785

Henry...

Vendetta 10 years ago
Chelsea FC, Egypt 202 3025

Gianfranco Zola, though I only managed to watch part of his last season and was still very young. After that, I completely stopped watching football or even playing the sport. No following news or seeing who are the players in the big clubs. I don't know why, I just stopped.

So back then I used to just float around the football talk my friends had about their favorite clubs (Usually United, Madrid or Barcelona). Mind you that this was back in 2006 so while Chelsea were really becoming a powerhouse in the football world, they still didn't garner any attention over here in Egypt. Then it was when that happened.

I re-watched Zola. The thing about this moment though, is that when I first saw his name I couldn't quite remember it, Anyway, it was during this about one hour talk or so with my friend over the telephone while we were browsing football videos on YouTube on Ronaldinho, The Ronaldos, Beckham, Kaka, etc. Then I saw him, right on the 'Related Videos' section and saw 'chelsea fc gianfranco zola'

It all came back to me then. The little but enjoyable memories from 2003 when I used to watch this guy and I decided. Chelsea was the team I'd name if anyone asked what club do I support.

But to be honest, it took me a while to get into watching Chelsea with as much passion and loyalty like I do now. Like 2011. Before that it was just watching maybe a match or two every month. But now, I watch almost every match and wear my Chelsea shirt with pride.

And I can thank Gianfranco Zola for that.

KingHenry 10 years ago
Arsenal, France 44 1362

Around 2000 I only knew about national teams. I was 8 and we were champions of europe and of the world. Zidane, Wiltord, Henry and Trezeguet were my idols. So when I heard about french players playing under a french manager in the premier league, I had to support arsenal. And I like the colour red. It was probably around 2004-2005.

CroatiaFan123 10 years ago
Arsenal, Croatia 66 2775

@KH Lol at first I was thinkin that clubs are same as country;Like Spain is Barca :D

shpalman 10 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

talking about exposure, i had 1 grandpa which was a proud Romanista, the other grandpa was a fierce Laziale. i had a derby right into my family. around the age of 3-4 i used to spend lot of time with both of them but the one who introduced me to football, getting me my first Supertele, was my Romanista grandpa; so i used to cheer for Roma and Giannini, il Principe. by the age of 6 tho', my uncle introduced me to AC Milan, it was like love at first sight.
have been a Milanista ever since.

Madridista11 10 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

Roberto Carlos :)

WayneRooney 10 years ago
Manchester United, Argentina 52 488

when i was young the only player i knew was Ronaldinho when he was in Barcelona, i loved Ronaldinho well who didn't love Ronaldinho, but the more i got into Football, the more i started noticing other players like beckham(i didn't like beckham at first but now i love him), Rooney, Ronaldo, Quresma, nani, etc.. then i started following Rooney a lot and then i start to notice Ronaldo, those were two of the players i followed. I start to notice EPL and what team they were playing for and then i fell in love with Manchester United (i didn't know about their success after a few years later) i just loved watching them play, and ya thats how i started to support United and then after that i came to know of the Champions League, La liga, etc..

AlexBatak 10 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

We all said why we started supporting our clubs. NOW what about you @billywalendom?..Oh wait..

Wolfie 10 years ago
Inter, Germany 94 1844

Inter had a history with German players in the 80's and 90's. Rummenigge, Matthäus, Klinsmann, Brehme, Sammer.
Milan were more Dutch identity. That said, Inter's German connection wasn't the only thing that made me support them. I always drawn to them. No other club has the same effect even the one from my home town, VFB Stuttgart which is no small club by any stretch of the imagination. Something about Inter just made me feel at ease.

Players like Djorkaeff and Zamorano . Insanely underrated. Fenomeno in 97/98. Just spellbinding. Milano is not too far from Stuttgart, maybe 500 km.. I had an Italian friend in my childhood who supported Inter. Many factors have contributed to my love of Inter.

All I know is I'm Inter for life. The peoples club, brothers of the World.

AlexBatak 10 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

@Wolfie Omg how old are you? we must be the same age. I LOVED Zamorano!

Tuanis 10 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Dude Alex, he is looking for a reason to support a club. He simply wanted us to brainstorm for him..

AlexBatak 10 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

^Yeah that's prolly why.

billywalendom 10 years ago Edited
21 186

@AlexBatak and whoever is curious, I have supported real madrid, but I felt like the reasons for my commitment were invalid. I am wondering which reasons exist out there. I may be wrong for thinking you should only support a club if you come from or live in the respective city. I have no affiliation with Real Madrid. I realized that I began supporting the club because I really admired the players in the current squad and the club legends. I figured that makes me more of a football fan rather than a real madrid fan.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@AlexBatak and whoever is curious, I have supported real madrid, but I felt like the reasons for my commitment were invalid. I am wondering which reasons exist out there. I may be wrong for thinking you should only support a club if you come from or live in the respective city. I have no affiliation with the Real Madrid. I realized that I began supporting the club because I really admired the players in the current squad and the club legends. I figured that makes me more of a football fan rather than a real madrid fan.

Marcus2011 10 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

seymorebutts_66 10 years ago
Bayern Munich, Germany 10 422

Born in Australia, both parents from Bavaria, so if I didnt follow Bayern I,d get my butt kicked.

TheGame 10 years ago
Manchester United 104 1380

I started supporting United in 1999. Mainly for their character, history and the greatest manager that ever graced the greatest game.