Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

What antivirus do you use?
Lilywhite 10 years ago
28 468

Hi again everyone. I want to know what antivirus you use and what you think is the best in terms of if you're getting a free or a paid. here are some examples of the most used ones:

• Microsoft Security, Avast, ESET, Norton, Symantec, AVG, Avira, Kaspersky, McAfee, Panda, Bitdefender

Also, i would like to know what kind of clean-up program you use. the difference from antivirus is that these don't PROTECT you against them, but remove them and other unwanted things when they actually are there. Examples are:

• Advance Systemcare, CCleaner, Malwarebytes
Comments
Heisinburg 10 years ago
Manchester United 67 1516

In terms of anti-virus programs, Lilywhite, I wouldn't go near McAfee and Avast. I have previously used both and they've shown to be unreliable on the long term - it works fine at first but a couple of weeks later I unknowingly received a lot of viruses that have severely damaged my hardware, hence I now need to buy a new one soon.

I'm not too sure about the rest of the ones you suggested, but I know AVG Anti-virus (the free 2014 version) because I currently use it, and I can say that it's so far the best alongside CCleaner whenever I feel that something needs to be wiped out.

However, just because I have an anti-virus program doesn't necessarily mean I can solve the problem. I think a lot of fixing can be done through the control panel. From experience, I've learnt that uninstalling programs I wasn't too familiar with but was in my laptop made wonders.

ramaboy10 10 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

AVG

Lilywhite 10 years ago
28 468

thanks guys. Heisinburg I think that's good, try different things and see what works best from experience. i can personally say that avast works very well and CCleaner fixes a lot of small problems. those two are the ones I use.

AVG is good ramaboy but I prefer AVG if you use payed version. one of the best out there definitely.

Lilywhite 10 years ago
28 468

For combinations I always say that there are two very good ones:

FREE = Avast and CCleaner
PAID = BitDefender/AVG/ESET and Advanced System Care

..and Malwarebytes for both to clean out viruses that have managed to come in to your computer

tuan_jinn 10 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Free = Avast, I have been using it for years and even with gaming it has no problem whatsoever (when playing game Avast has Silent/Gaming Mode).

I barely use any paid version though unless it comes with my laptop :D, or at work.

For browser, just use: WOT, and Ad Block Plus.

I recommend WOT - Web Of Trust plugin (both Chrome and Firefox) and it would show you if the website you are visiting is reliable based on user rating. Most well known site would have a green icon, and otherwise gray (i would never purchase anything if the site is gray). Red or orange means they are either scam or spam

Joe_Manchester 10 years ago
Manchester United, Egypt 108 627

Avira (quick, simple, free, light on resources) ...> Antivirus + Antispyware
Adblock plus is the best for ad blocking

I used to use Kaspersky cracked, and I got tired of expired licenses as well as looking for them and losing the functionality of the software when I get a license expiration message. Even though it was a powerful software, but it was heavy on resources, and had too much sophistication. On a positive note, it has a HUGE HUGE HUGE database of virus signatures, and so many updates during the day, so it was reliable to some extent.

Lilywhite 10 years ago
28 468

tuan_jinn- yes true. Avast is the best choice if you're going with free. you could say Avast is more build around the free version than other popular antivirus softwares which focus more on the paid.

Joe_manchester- Avira is a very good antivirus too, it's growing fast in market shares and is also one of the better ones to use if you want a free. and haha, Kaspersky is probably THE MOST tried antivirus to crack. I know so many people who want the full version of Kaspersky but are having problems.

Kaspersky is probably as you say the most heavy antivirus of them all and is the best to use if you dont use your computer to a lot of other things that use much memory (work only computer for example). it is also the most used antivirus in privat homes.

netsten 10 years ago
Chelsea, Belgium 44 992

ESET Smart Security, it's not free, but it's worth it.

Lilywhite 10 years ago
28 468

ESET is one of the best paid antivirus programs. a lot of BIG BIG companies trust and use it and it is said to be the antivirus software that focuses the most on innovative solutions. very knowledgable people working at ESET and it's probably the one i would choose if i would have a paid antivirus software that is not most expensive.

iamRDM 10 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 32 202

I use avast but not the free version because it does not provide complete protection. I paid for the internet security version and it is very good and satisfying i can say

netsten 10 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Belgium 44 992

@Lilywhite You're right, and if you buy three licenses, it's even cheaper, I did that with some friends and I don't regret it.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

You're right, and if you buy three licenses, it's even cheaper, I did that with some friends and I don't regret it.

Lilywhite 10 years ago
28 468

iamRDM- again, Avast is very common to have if you don't want to pay, so it's interesting to see that you have the paid version of Avast. what i'm not too sure of is if you get enough for your money because avast already has a lot of functions on its free version and then you may not get too much value for your money.

but that's just what i think immediately, avast is for sure one of the strongest and most complete antiviruses so i'm sure the paid version is great too.

Lilywhite 10 years ago
28 468

Anyone else? i'm curious to see what people use and think is the best free and paid one.

Lilywhite 10 years ago
28 468

Please give me your antivirus information.

shpalman 10 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

Avira and Malwarebytes

Lilywhite 10 years ago
28 468

Avira again is a good antivirus but i was a bit wrong when i said it's increasing in market share. it's actually decreasing a bit since they struggle to stay competitive with the innovation of the biggest companies (avast, AVG, ESET).

on the other side Malwarebytes is probably the best software to get rid of malware that already is on your computer and it also to some extent warns you when malware tries to get in (not to the same extent as antivirus programs but still allright, should have a antivirus too to keep out the lot as you have shalpman).

Lilywhite 10 years ago
28 468

but i don't underestimate Avira. they have very experienced people there who are really motivated to get malware out of our computer world which is always good. As i mentioned before Avira also definitely has one of the best free versions.

shpalman 10 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

Lilywhite 10 years ago
28 468

shpalman- to be fair, that's expexted by all top antivirus. Avira is one of them but they're struggling a bit as said with the strong competition. Antivirus is something almost everyone today have on their computer and Avira is finding problems to keep their market share up when companies like avast, AVG, ESET, BitDefender and a few more are doing so well.

I could post the same image of for example avast or BitDefender and they would have more green than Avira. but i still think Avira has the best free version after Avast. even beats AVG on the free version.

Lilywhite 10 years ago
28 468

So if i would rank the antiviruses after top 3 paid and free i would say.

Paid:

1. BitDefender
  2. Kaspersky
  3. ESET

Free:

1. Avast
  2. Avira
  3. AVG

of course the free ones also have paid versions, but this shows a bit which antiviruses you get the most of on their free version. Norton and Symantec for example only have 30 days trials and then you HAVE TO PAY.

BitDefender, Kaspersky and ESET (also Symantec) are definitely worth the money.