Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Value the player #18
ramaboy10 8 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

It's been 8 months since I last did this and football has changed a lot :p Leicester have won the league and a whole new bunch of talent has been spotted.

Todays VTP? Riyad Mahrez. The talent was signed for £375,000. He is now one of the best midfielders in the PL. How much do you guys think he is worth?

enter image description here

Comments
SunFlash 8 years ago Edited
USA 19 3260

Even now I'm not a huge fan of Mahrez as a playmaker, although I do respect his ability to finish and desire to go one-on-one with defenders.

Half the problem of evaluating what a player is worth is that it changes based on the club, manager, and style. I have a hard time seeing Mahrez, who had so much success on the counter, playing in a possession-based style like Barcelona or City. I think that the hard counters directly from transitions that we saw Leicester achieve so much success from this season rely on their opponents not having players back, or set in shape, and that means that the space is already there, and there is no need to break anything down, because by the time Mahrez gets the ball, the defence is already broken down for him.

I would go as far to say that Mahrez would be utterly useless in a possession-based team. I think he also greatly benefited from the finishing of Vardy, whose goals-to-shots ratio was outstanding, in the creation of at least half of his assists, of which, again, no great pass was needed, simply slipping the ball through an already broken defence on the counter.

I recall vividly when Mahrez played teams with actually good, and more importantly, disciplined defences, (United, Spurs, etc) he was invisible all game. Created nothing, found no space, no game-breaking through balls, no one-on-ones, nothing. Equally as much of a problem, when he played internationally with Algeria, he found little success.

Of course, Mahrez could have the skills to do what I'm saying he can't (break down a defence). I just haven't seen them, and no other team in the world has either. Unless he goes to a team that plays that counterattacking style, (think Real Madrid, pre-LVG United, etc) his value to Leicester is far greater than his value to any other team. For that reason I'll give you two numbers:

What Mahrez is worth to Leicester: 40-50 million pounds
What Mahrez is worth to Barca/City: 20-25 million pounds

What I personally would value him at: 15 million pounds

Interested to hear other opinions though, I would suspect I'm in the minority on this.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Even now I'm not a huge fan of Mahrez as a playmaker, although I do respect his ability to finish and desire to go one-on-one with defenders.

Half the problem of evaluating what a player is worth is that it changes based on the club, manager, and style. I have a hard time seeing Mahrez, who had so much success on the counter, playing in a possession-based style like Barcelona or City. I think that the hard counters directly from transitions that we saw Leicester achieve so much success from this season rely on their opponents not having players back, or set in shape, and that means that the space is already there, and there is no need to break anything down, because by the time Mahrez gets the ball, the defence is already broken down for him.

I would go as far to say that Mahrez would be utterly useless in a possession-based team. I think he also greatly benefited from the finishing of Vardy, whose goals-to-shots ratio was outstanding, in the creation of at least half of his assists, of which, again, no great pass was needed, simply slipping the ball through an already broken defence on the counter.

I recall vividly when Mahrez played teams with actually good, and more importantly, disciplined defences, (United, Spurs, etc) he was invisible all game. Created nothing, found no space, no game-breaking through balls, no one-on-ones, nothing. Equally as much of a problem, when he played internationally with Algeria, he found little success.

Of course, Mahrez could have the skills to do what I'm saying he can't. I just haven't seen them, and no other team in the world has either. Unless he goes to a team that plays that counterattacking style, (think Real Madrid, pre-LVG United, etc) his value to Leicester is far greater than his value to any other team. For that reason I'll give you two numbers:

What Mahrez is worth to Leicester: 40-50 million pounds
What Mahrez is worth to Barca/City: 20-25 million pounds

What I personally would value him at: 15 million pounds

Interested to hear other opinions though, I would suspect I'm in the minority on this.

liomessi10 8 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

30-35m. If he was a few years younger he would be worth 60-70m

Jimbet 8 years ago
Arsenal, Malaysia 12 1292

25 million pounds.. may rise till 35 mil if the likes of Barcelona or PSG comes knocking the door..

Argjentt96 8 years ago
Real Madrid, Kosovo 1 496

3 mill.

_Gonzi_ 8 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

15 million max and that is stretching it.
in this era of overpriced footballers (especially in england): 35 to 40 mill

Eden17Hazard17 8 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

I feel like prices are so high these days, that you can't just sell your stars to increase your budget.

I'd say about 25m pounds, given that he's only had 1 great season. I'm sure he'll do even better next season but for now 25m seems alright.

Chucksea 8 years ago Edited
Chelsea 5 267

Leicester are gonna make a lot of money over the summer, the champions reward, new mega TV deal, lot of shirts sell etc. They obviously are going to be more powerful on the transfer market. I still can't see them signing any big names so they wont splash a huge amount of money on new signings. All that put together means they don't need to sell. If Mahrez does not push for it he won't be sold.

But every player has a price, and today's transfer market is bat sh*t crazy. A PL best player winner can't be sold for less than €40M imo. In a market where Sterling in worth €60M, Mahrez is not worth less than that.

• History

Leicester are gonna make a lot of money over the summer, the champions reward, new mega TV deal, lot of shirts sell etc. They obviously are going to be more powerful on the transfer market. I still can't see them signing any big names so they wont splash a huge amount of money on new signings. All that put together means they don't need to sell. If Mahrez does not push for it he won't be sold.

But every player has a price, and today transfer market in bat sh*t crazy. A PL best player winner can't be sold for less than €40M imo. In a market where Sterling in worth €60M, Mahrez is not worth less than that.

ramaboy10 8 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

Fair enough Chucksea, very valid point

Emobot7 8 years ago
538 11432

Was gonna say 50m pounds but then I saw Chucksea post and I didn't found any point to counter his so I'm gonna have to agree with him on that one, 60m at least.

Tuanis 8 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

With today's ridiculously inflated market he could easily be worth 40m Euros. You can't compare his hypothetical signing to anything that has ever happend but consider he is the league champions and player of the season of the EPL which is the most inflated league in terms of prices.

A player's price can only be determined by the demand. And like I said in another thread, I dont think many clubs would bid seriously for him, only EPL teams and probably PSG (related to every player). Inside EPL only a few teams like Chelsea, United or City could bid for him and I don't see any of the previous mentioned having a desire for Mahrez. 40m easily, Leicester wont let him go for less than that. With market changes regarding demand, range around 35-55m.

Emobot7 8 years ago
538 11432

@Tuanis Damn, this is also true. :(

Amerr30 8 years ago Edited
Real Madrid, Bosnia-Herzegovina 56 616

Seems like a perfect opportunity for one of my tables, no? :)

Here's the growth of value in Leicester City players. I did not include those who weren't there in February of 2015. The values were gathered from transfermarkt. These values updated last at February of 2016. So once it updates again following the end of the season, the values should grow even more.

![enter image description here][1]

• History

Here's the growth of value in Leicester City players. I did not include those who weren't there in February of 2015. The values were gathered from transfermarkt. These values updated last at February of 2016. So once it updates again following the end of the season,
the values should grow even more.

Here's the growth of value in Leicester City players. I did not include those who weren't there in February of 2015. The values were gathered from transfermarkt. These values updated last at February of 2016. So once it updates again following the end of the season, the values should grow even more.

ramaboy10 8 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

^ Peter Schmeichel??? Riyad Meherez?

Amerr30 8 years ago

What are you trying to say, rama?

liomessi10 8 years ago

^spelling mistakes

liomessi10 8 years ago

Its kasper not peter and mahrez not mehrez.

Amerr30 8 years ago Edited

Ok. Will fix it later. Thanks. I'm too tired, hence the mistakes. I should have been long asleep. Haven't yet and I got to go back to work in 8 hours. I have no more time to waste.

• History

Ok. Will fix it later. Thanks. I'm tired. I should have been long asleep. Haven't yet and I got to go back to work in 8 hours. I have no more time to waste.

liomessi10 8 years ago

@amerr what job do you have. Also where are you living?

ramaboy10 8 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

@Amerr didn't realise you made it :p Thought it was a random thing pulled out of the internet and the spelling mistakes showed what an unreliable pic it was :p

ramaboy10 6 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

Sold for 60 million, some people were pretty close I guess