Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

The other battles of La liga. Predictions/hopes?
Boixosnois1981 10 years ago
Barcelona 49 508

We all know of the title race and its closeness, the proximity of the points, Atletico with the surprise charge, us and Atleti playing on the final day that could potentially become a season decider. However we have forgotten about the European Struggle and the relegation fight.

We all know that the current top 3 are guaranteed to be 3 out of our 4 UCL representatives.. but who will be our 4th? Lets take it from the highest position and down.

Athletic Bilbao: Current position:4th
Last appearance: 1998 (Last in 1st group stage)

after seasons of up and downs, and missed opportunities.. Bilbao seem to be at the top of there form, with an unbeaten record at home so far and getting a win and draw over Barca and Real Respectively, Bilbao seem to have Cohesion, team spirit, and the right management. The crazy thing is.. this is a team that has there buying options restricted to one tiny part of the world.. imagine the things they can do if they didn't have the basque only policy in place. These guys are something else and it is there spot to lose. However they must preform differently at the end of this season and avoid a collapse like that of 2012.

Comments
Boixosnois1981 10 years ago Edited
Barcelona 49 508

Villareal CF
Position :5th
Last appearance: 2010-2011 edition.(Last in group)
The yellow submarine are back in business after bouncing back from there shock relegation. With a few new signings, and a revamped management.. Villarreal are as dangerous as they have ever been as if they had never left. They have proven there mettle with a draw vs Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid at El Madrigal and an extremely well fought 2-1 loss at the Camp Nou and a 5-1 drubbing of Sociedad. Villareal know what the UCL is all about, with runs to the Semi and quarter finals in 2006 and 2009 and with numerous European appearances overall. At the moment they sit only 3 points behind Bilbao. Villareal are eager to rejoin the fold of the big boys.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Villareal CF
Position :5th
Last appearance: 2010-2011 edition.
The yellow submarine are back in business after bouncing back from there shock relegation. With a few new signings, and a revamped management.. Villarreal are as dangerous as they have ever been as if they had never left. They have proven there mettle with a draw vs Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid at El Madrigal and an extremely well fought 2-1 loss at the Camp Nou and a 5-1 drubbing of Sociedad. Villareal know what the UCL is all about, with runs to the Semi and quarter finals in 2006 and 2009 and with numerous European appearances overall. At the moment they sit only 3 points behind Bilbao. Villareal are eager to rejoin the fold of the big boys.

Barcelona 49 508

Real Sociedad
Position: 6th
Last appearance: 2013-2014 edition (Last in group)

After coming up short on there run this time around, Sociedad are eager for a retry and have been spectacular domestically this season. Sociedad can be proud of the progress they've made since returning from the segunda in 2010 themselves just as Villareal have this year . They managed to survive the first 2 years back, and rebuild after 4 years in the darkness of Segunda and away from premium competition. With a few signings of there own and a change in management aswell, there belief in themselves has skyrocketed and everyone in the anoeta believes sociedad can accomplish great things. However they need to recover from there recent slump that has allowed Bilbao and Villareal to get ahead of them, and can not afford many more slip ups because judging by how bilbao and villareal are doing, they won't be slipping up many times so sociedad must be at there best if they hope to erase the memory of this years UCL run.

Barcelona 49 508

Now the Europa league chase takes on different implications, these teams would prefer a champions league spot for sure, but from there positions and points in the table it is likely they will just settle for a UEL spot when the time comes. The Copa del rey being a clasico final (most likely) gives an opportunity for the 7th place team to enter the UEL, so there is alittle more European football to go around.

to begin, Sevilla
Position: 7th
last UEL appearance: currently performing in this season's tournament.

Sevilla has been a changed team this season after 2 years in uncertainty. Sevilla have been performing really well domestically in comparison to the last 2 years and even did well in the Europa league group stage this season, although sevilla has still seen better days, like the UCL runs, Title runs, and Cup runs and could have been way better.. it is a start to what seems to be a great return.

Barcelona 49 508

Valencia
position :8th
Last UEL appearance: currently competing in this season's tournament.

Straightforward and simple.. this is nowhere near where Valencia wanted to be this season, they expected to atleast be 4 positions higher and maintaining a champions league place like they used to all the time. A mid season managerial change has turned the tides but maybe just alittle to late for los Che to return to the UCL just yet. They have proven what they can do with the right attitude and tactics with there 3-2 win over Barcelona at camp nou, but that is as high as they have got so far and it will likely not put them back in the Champions league. However, most are expecting los che to bounce back next season and return to there rightful place among the powerful in Spain, and with the possible new ownership coming soon.. maybe even higher?

Boixosnois1981 10 years ago Edited
Barcelona 49 508

Levante
Position: 9th
Last UEL appearance: 2012-2013 edition (Round of 16)

Alittle bit of a letdown from there 2011-2012 campaign witch saw them top the table for a few weeks and book a spot in Europe for the first ever time when they finished 6th, Levante has not yet rekindled that fire either last season or this one, but.. levante are not out of it yet and might make a return with the 7th place spot opening up. Levante can still be proud that they have shooken off there yo-yo club reputation and have maintained there status in La liga since 2010-2011 and have hardly been under threat of going back down since. Most levante fans could hardly even believe that they have been so consistent and making europe again would be a glorious bonus, but the blue and reds of Valencia, the team with the smallest budget in the league, are definitely satisfied with how there club has been doing.

• History
Barcelona 49 508

Espanyol
position: 10th
Last UEL appearance: 2006-2007 edition (runner up)

Nothing out of the ordinary here, Espanyol sitting in mid table, not even close to relegation danger, but still not good enough to achieve something great. The perico's have been given a lifeline in the UEL race and the high likeliness of the 7th spot opening up as it seems to be the only thing they have left to fight for this year, it looks likely that Espanyol will again drop out of the race as it begins to heat up and will again be doomed to mid table mediocrity as they have been for way too long. The other half of Barcelona hopes to shake off that Hoffenheim-esque reputation and find a purpose this year and celebrate a major achievement once again.

Barcelona 49 508

Relegation

currently in danger

Osasuna : 16th place ,22 points
last relegation: 1995
returned:2000

Almeria : 17th place,22 points
last relegation: 2011
returned: 2013

Real Valladolid: 18th place ,20 points
last relegation: 2010
returned: 2012

Rayo Vallecano: 19th place,17 points
Last relegation:2003
returned:2011

Real Betis: 20th place, 14 points.
Last relegation: 2009
returned:2011

tiki_taka 10 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Nice post mate :), people here dont know much about those teams. I understand it the first day i saw them commenting here.
Hope Bilbao finish 4th and Valencia 5th.

Lodatz 10 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

^ You're really trying hard to get into a scrap again, aincha, tiki? ;)

ikoiko 10 years ago
Arsenal, Spain 53 853

I've never heard of these teams

tiki_taka 10 years ago Edited

No comments in a while, if it was an EPL post....
Yeah i think most of you underrate la Liga and overrate EPL. Im saying it directly whats the problem?
Happy that my comment make you comment, you could do it without my intervention.
Each time there is a post about la liga, no one comments. Say it if la liga post are not wanted here, we can leave and let you just between English so your dreams will become facts and nobody would disagree.

• History

Yeah i think most of you underrate la Liga and overrate EPL. Im saying it directly whats the problem?

Happy that my comment make you comment, you could do it without my intervention.

Lodatz 10 years ago

"Yeah i think most of you underrate la Liga and overrate EPL."

And I think the reverse is true. But you know what? It doesn't need to be said, in every thread, in order to bait other people. That's the problem, and I think you know that. Notice how you could have simply complimented the thread without simultaneously insulting the knowledge of the other posters.

Says the man who thinks the best GK are in ENgland, best defense and maybe more...
What EPL would be without Russian/Quatarian money ? Like La ligue 1.
German and Spanish players are the best acutally in number, in quality, in price.....
How many ENGLISH PLAYERS in EPL top teams ?

• History

Says the man who thinks the best GK are in ENgland, best defense and maybe more...
What EPL would be without Russian/Quatarian money ? Like La ligue 1.
German and Spanish players are the best acutally in number, in quality, in price.....

ikoiko 10 years ago
Arsenal, Spain 53 853

I actually follow La Liga more than you may think. Underrating La Liga to the EPL doesn't mean I don't know about it.

I hope Athletic stays in 4th and beats their basque rivals to a Champions league spot. If Sevilla qualifies for Europa League it will be great for them seeing as they started the season terribly, and I have to root for them because my cousin is a diehard Sevillista. Shame about Valencia really, but I don't see them qualifying for Europe at all.

Lodatz 10 years ago

"Says the man who thinks the best GK are in ENgland, best defense and maybe more..."

Yes. That's right. Says that guy. Notice how saying those things does not actually insult anyone.

Just stop, please. These constant league arguments are really boring.

*Villareal won their game against Osasuna and have 40 pts now.
Dont forget that EPL teams played 2 games more than la Liga teams, and if City and Chelsea had stability at the start of the season, they would have more points - Arsenal could have more if they did better against direct rivals.
They have won or draw all 4th-20th teams games except Aston Villa one.

Look at City goal diference, comparing to Barça / Atleti / Madrid. Thats called the spanish elite style of playing. I was not that surprised in City - Chelsea game, when i saw the first half hour, i knew Chelsea would win. Mourinho knows how to play against this Spanish style. Other teams dont know how and strugle, thats all.
There is no weak league mate let your dreams stay dreams, look reality and try to give right conclusions.
EPL remain a little dificult, just a little. And Spanish top 3 are way better than English one.

• History
Lodatz 10 years ago

"Mourinho knows how to play against this Spanish style."

Yes. Which is why he's been defeating Barcelona since 2005. Almost ten years of beating the best team in the world, in fact. Does that say more about the manager, or about the "best team", in your eyes? Do let us know...

"Other teams dont know how and strugle, thats all."

Including Bayern Munich? Just be honest: Pellegrini;s success with City is exactly the same as Mancini's first season there, when they were equally incredible. It's not exactly a Spanish influence.

"EPL remain a little dificult, just a little. And Spanish top 3 are way better than English one."

Bullshit, and fukk you. :)

See, this is where you diverge from logic and reason, and descend back into this dream world where Spanish teams are somehow much better then PL teams, despite the fact that PL teams have kicked La Liga's arse, Barcelona aside, for the last decade of football.

It's Madrid and Atletico who need to catch up, not the Premier League.

Dephased 10 years ago Edited
Arsenal, United States 12 501

Athletic is doing a great thing with their Basque philosophy. Its keeps the clubs basque identity unlike Real Madrid who got nearly zero castilians just foreigners. It also keeps passion within the squad as the club represents their region and culture.

• History

Athletic is doing a great thing with their Basque philosophy. Its keeps the clubs basque identity unlike Real Madrid who got nearly zero castilians just foreigners.

tiki_taka 10 years ago

''Yes. Which is why he's been defeating Barcelona since 2005. Almost ten years of beating the best team in the world, in fact. Does that say more about the manager, or about the "best team", in your eyes? Do let us know...''

Are you serious, stop being stupid lodatz.
Mourinho was trashed by Barça many times, he lost more than he won. Remember at Madrid crying every clasico end, remember 5-0.

''despite the fact that PL teams have kicked La Liga's arse, Barcelona aside, for the last decade of football.''

Your diagnostic : Alzhaymer :). 3 CL finals won out of 3 against the mighty English sides.
Dominated United and Arsenal, do you have Alzhaimer ? I told you, we only strugle against Chelsea , that does not mean we were dominated by them, there is a mutual respect and close competition. The only team that has a positive results against us past 10 years by one victory more.

Including Bayern Munich?

The only argument you have ? we beated them 4-0 too past year, last year they were better, they got their revenge congrats. ITS NOT LIKE WE LOST AT 0-5 TO LIVERPOOL AT THE CAMP NOU, or 11-1 to Man City and all this RECENTLY. just keep QUIET and dont go that way. ;)

No, for the mighty defensive spurs :) im very impressed by your English defending way XD ,Thankfully you have Lloris. I cant imagine Spurs with Valdez you will get relegated XD.

You got angry mate, you picked up 3 lines chosen carefully to give a decent response, but the result is pathetic, judge from yourself.

Just to remember how dominating Barça is a sweet dream : 3 finals out of 3. Against the 2 best English sides of the decade in SAF and Wenger era.

Lodatz reality is calling you....

Barcelona 49 508

Well lod, we defeated Mourinho's chelsea in 05-06 round of 16 i believe.

and Mourinho's Madrid fell many times to us.
5-0
2-0 at Bernabeu in the UCL?
Spanish Supercopa 2011/2012?
1-3 in 2011/2012?
Copa del rey quarters 2011/2012?

And while he was around as manager of Real Madrid, we won 4 titles (excluding Uefa Super cup, Supercopa and CWC)
UCL 2011, La liga 2011, Copa del rey 2012, La liga 2013.

while Mourinho won 2 .. Copa del rey 2011, and La liga 2012.