Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Ronaldo's trick shot.
Tuanis 9 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

This shot by Ronaldo in the Clubs World Cup has been going all over the world. imo it is a bit ridiculous to give that much attention to a shot that was not even a goal but people nowadays give excessive credit to popular players. I wasn't planning to do a thread about it basically because it is not worth it, its just a missed shot; but recently Ive seen tons of discussions regarding Ronaldo being disrespectful or something along that line for trying this shot when it was clearly not necessary. Even an argument between Guti and a famous Latin American commentator Raul Orvañanos went viral because during the transition of the match he called Ronaldo a "clown" for trying that.

I was really hoping for you guys to give your opinions on this matter.
Can it be compared with Balotelli's similar trick shot when playing for City?

Comments
rayrex7 9 years ago
Real Madrid, Croatia 26 797

Guys calm down, btw a rabonna is no 100% gurantee goal in fact I see no difference between lamela and ronaldo, it's just lamela got a bit luckier,

A rabonna is like 50% skill and 50 % luck, ronaldo as we know, not the lucky types

And please don't compare it with the balotelli situation, cause Bali was completely alone and just a simple tap would go in, but ronaldo had a bit of possibility to miss it even without a trick shot, so please stop this argument

shpalman 9 years ago Edited
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

"I see no difference between lamela and ronaldo"

you see no difference between a well executed rabona and a poorly executed one? sure is not 100% guaranteed goal, but even with that, a well executed rabona is still pleasing to watch. it's called composure. if you play football you should know that.

in this thread were asked some questions: how this episode could differ from Balotelli's one, what was the reason for it to be criticized by some. i tried to rationally give an answer, but if we are playing the game that whatever answer/reason you give is BS, then there's very little to debate.

edit: to add up to my argument, tonight in Roma - Milan De Sanctis awkwardly attempted a Neuer, the outcome was ridiculous. the BTsport guy was like "my god Desanctis, what is he doing??", the colleague replied "that was bad but he tried to emulate Neuer"; and there the 1st guys rightfully replied "ok, but Neuer usually makes the right decision".

i hope you get what i mean.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

"I see no difference between lamela and ronaldo"

you see no difference between a well executed rabona and a poorly executed one? sure is not 100% guaranteed goal, but even with that, a well executed rabona is still pleasing to watch. it's called composure. if you play football you should know that.

in this thread were asked some questions: how this episode could differ from Balotelli's one, what was the reason for it to be criticized by some. i tried to rationally give an answer, but if we are playing the game that whatever answer/reason you give is BS, then there's very little to debate.

Devil_forever 9 years ago
Manchester United, Croatia 1 14

Well I actually agree with you however ronaldo was on the volley while lamela had a pass and if lamela missed that we won't be having this thread, but since it's ronaldo, we all know is hated by the media and whatever he does is simply over reacted from the media, but nevertheless I agree with shpalman in his idea and point.

rayrex7 9 years ago

@devil Nope, actually there maybe some difference however lamela was a bit further than ronaldo around 19-20 yards out and ronaldo was simply 3-4 meters far but still i don't see why in the world will people make a big fuss about it, at least he had it on target

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Ray

Exactly! Lamela had a much higher probability of missing than Ronaldo.

shpalman 9 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

@Dynastian

probability to miss the rabona, or miss the goal? because those are 2 different things and that's where my whole reasoning lies.

Madridista11 9 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

^ What's your point? Both performed a Rabona both got that shot on target...

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Madridista11

Exactly! They both hit the rabona, and they both hit the target. One just happened to go towards the corner and the other towards the goalkeeper. That's it.

shpalman 9 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

@Madridista11

what part of "poorly executed rabona" you didn't get?

but hey, if the only difference you see is that *"*They both hit the rabona, and they both hit the target. One just happened to go towards the corner and the other towards the goalkeeper", then it's fine guys, you're right, those were 2 pretty awesome rabonas. pure skill and composure, both of them. make no mistakes there, let's all take a bow.

Eden17Hazard17 9 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

The rabona is great. If you want to master a skill, choose that. Unlike other moves like the Balo, the rabona can be useful. Ronaldo should of just hit it, but Lamela's a while ago showed that the ramona was a clever way of shooting a ball on your off side, rather than just a skill.

Tuanis 9 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Ronaldo's rabona was as useless as Balloteli's trick shot so it is either both are wrong and should be frown upon or both are just a part of football.

People shouldn't be confusing a resourceful trick as a back-heel with meaningless tricks.

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Tuanis

If we're talking about meaningless tricks, then why is Neymar even a footballer?

rayrex7 9 years ago

Please tuanis balotelli was simply 1-1 and he did a trick that wasn't even on target

Ronaldo on the other hand had 2 defenders 11'clock and the keeper plus the ball was on the volley and it was on target

Look even messi when he was 1-1 most of the time, he won't shoot, but lob instead and sometimes he misses it, but nobody even talks about it.

Since its ronaldo, everyone likes to gossip about it even the media get on their weed and start typing stuff that isn't even realistic so please stop comparing with balotellis ok

AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

guys, we're confusing things. let's recap:

Balotelli's veronica (which is a type of dribbling) is not just a useless trick.
it is a sublime skill if used correctly--->dribbling/jumping opponents:

it becomes indeed a useless trick if used the way Balotelli did. why? because the situation he was in, required a finish. instead of a finish he chose to perform a dribbling (veronica). who was he trying to dribble? air. pathetic.
the fact he chose such out-of-context skill made the whole thing look utterly ridiculous.

now, why people recalled this Balotelli episode when Ronaldo performed that rabona? because a rabona wasn't a concrete option to go with, considered the situation Ronaldo was in. it looked less ridiculous than Balotelli's because at least he landed a finish in a situation which required a finish.
but again still an opinable choice and kinda laughable too, why? because the situation he was in, didn't have the good premises (cr7 position related to the ball) for a well executed rabona. so the outcome was kinda poor. is that simple.

why then we also compared Lamela's rabona with Ronaldo's one? the comparison between the 2 can't be related to the rabona itself, because they are in 2 completely different situations. but we can compare the difference in decision making between the 2, which led Lamela to perform a well executed rabona, and Ronaldo to perform a poorly executed one.

"I just wanted to score and that was the most comfortable, effective way of making it happen" -- Lamela.

if i am a football player and i am confident with a skill, i also know when it's the perfect time to land it properly, right? to me the whole thing just left me with the feeling that Ronaldo has bitten more than he could actually chew, in that situation.

• History

Balotelli's veronica (which is a type of dribbling) is not just an useless trick.

it becomes indeed a useless trick if used the way Balotelli did. why? because the situation he was in, required a finish. instead of a finish he chose to perform a dribbling (veronica). who was he trying to dribble? air. pathetic.
the fact he chose such out-of-context skill made the whole thing look utterly ridiculous.

now, why people recalled this Balotelli episode when Ronaldo performed that rabona? because a rabona wasn't a concrete option to go with, considered the situation Ronaldo was in. it looked less ridiculous than Balotelli's because at least he landed a finish in a situation which required a finish. but again still an opinable choice and kinda laughable too, why?
because the situation he was in, didn't have the good premises (cr7 position related to the ball) for a well executed rabona. so the outcome was kinda poor. is that simple.

why then we also compared Lamela's rabona with Ronaldo's one? the comparison between the 2 can't be related to the rabona itself, because they are in 2 completely different situations. but we can compare the difference in decision making between the 2, which led Lamela to perform a well executed rabona, and Ronaldo to perform a poorly executed one.

"I just wanted to score and that was the most comfortable, effective way of making it happen" -- Lamela.

if i am a football player and i am confident with a skill, i also know when it's the perfect time to land it properly, right?
to me the whole thing just left me with the feeling that Ronaldo has bitten more than he could actually chew, in that situation.

Balotelli's veronica (which is a type of dribbling) is not just an useless trick.

now, why people recalled this Balotelli episode when Ronaldo performed that rabona? because a rabona wasn't a concrete option to go with, considered the situation Ronaldo was in. it looked less ridiculous than Balotelli's because at least he landed a finish in a situation which required a finish.
but again still an opinable choice and kinda laughable too, why? because the situation he was in, didn't have the good premises (cr7 position related to the ball) for a well executed rabona. so the outcome was kinda poor. is that simple.

if i am a football player and i am confident with a skill, i also know when it's the perfect time to land it properly, right? to me the whole thing just left me with the feeling that Ronaldo has bitten more than he could actually chew, in that situation.

Balotelli's veronica (which is a type of dribbling) is not just a useless trick.

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Shpalman

I'm fine with you saying that Ronaldo was in a poorer situation for a rabona and should've shot the ball properly with his left foot. I just had a problem with you saying things about what Ronaldo or Ancelotti were thinking, and comparing his rabona to Balo's idiotic shot.

shpalman 9 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

@Dynastian
finally! i felt like a recap was much needed.

tiki_taka 9 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Shpalman is obviously right, followed this dicussion without taking part of it because my point may seem biased.
The bycicle or the volley ( Left foot ) was more suited because the cross were short, if someone have ever saw a Rabona goal while the ball is still in the air please share it.

Rabona is suited for very weak foot players, the ball should be not moving or comming as a short pass...
For crosses : bicycles, scorpion kicks ( Zlatan ), or even Headers RVP style is more suited.

• History

Shpalman is obviously right, followed this dicussion without taking part of it because my point may seem biased.
The bycicle or the volley ( Left foot ) was more suited because the cross were short, if someone have ever say a Rabona goal while the ball is still in the air please share it.

Rabona is suited for very weak foot players, the ball should not be moving or comming as a short pass...
For crosses, bycicles, scorpion kicks ( Zlatan ), or even Headers RVP style is more suited.

The bycicle or the volley ( Left foot ) was more suited because the cross were short, if someone have ever saw a Rabona goal while the ball is still in the air please share it.

Rabona is suited for very weak foot players, the ball should be not moving or comming as a short pass...
For crosses : bycicles, scorpion kicks ( Zlatan ), or even Headers RVP style is more suited.

Madridista11 9 years ago Edited
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

@Shpalman
My apologies for not reading your points carefully lol We're completely on the same page. I disagree when it come to Ronaldo "disrespecting" that team..

• History

@Shpalman
My apologies for not reading your points carefully lol We're completely on the same page.

tiki_taka 9 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Air Rabona is not an easy skill, and non recomended for Ambidextrous players such as Ronaldo ( very good weak foot ).
Quaresma is the king of this skill mainly due to his very weak foot.

Look at this, thats called composure, normally this kind of crosses should be volleyed with right foot but since Robben is a pure Left footer, here is the result but he did it only in training.

• History

Air Rabona is not an easy skill, and non recomended for Ambidextrous players such as Ronaldo ( very good weak foot ).
Quaresma is the king of this skill mainly due to his very weak foot.

Just found an Air Rabona, but very few...

AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

^ nice one there. yes the half-volley rabona is an extremely difficult skill; a similar goal, not half-volley, was scored in an official game by Matias Urbano, it's in the video i posted in the previous page. Ronaldo wasn't able execute it properly because he was a bit off the ball, if he would have been a tad more behind then we probably wouldn't have had this conversation.

• History

^ nice one there. yes the half-volley rabona is an extremely difficult skill; a similar goal, not half-volley, was scored in an official game by Matias Urbano, it's in the video i posted in the previous page. Ronaldo wasn't able execute it properly because he was a bit off the ball, if he would have been a tad more behind the ball then we probably wouldn't have had this conversation.