Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Review of the Euro 2012 Draw
Manager 12 years ago
8 8

With the draw finished, at last, we can analyze how much luck held for the 16 participants.

Group A

As mediocre as it gets. Probably the three weakest teams in the tournament ended in a group that could lead to the craziest conspiracy theories. Poland, the weakest of the top seeds, will hope to win at least one game in the tournament, against the puny Greece and Czech Republic. We have to highlight the incredible luck of the Czechs, who have a good chance of booking a ticket to the second round after being terrible in the qualifiers then facing Montenegro, the worst team in the playoff, and now the “Group of Luck”.

Favorites: Russia, no doubt.

Possible surprise: Who cares? They will be thrashed in the quarters anyway.

Forecast: 1. Russia, 2. Czech Republic, 3. Greece, 4. Poland

Group B

From total boredom to absolute excitement. Undoubtedly, this “Group of Death” will be the most entertaining group of the first phase. The whole world is rubbing their hands in advance with the matches between Germany, the Netherlands and Portugal, probably the second, third and fourth best teams on the planet at this moment. Despite the fact that Germany and the Netherlands are favorites, Portugal is not too far; they can scare anyone in their days. Although Denmark seems to be one step below, let’s remember that they beat the Portuguese when they played each other a couple of months ago. On the other hand, Portugal missed three of their four top defenders, Carvalho, Coentrão and Pepe. Including this they were influenced by a number of injuries, when Denmark oppositely lined up with a full squad.

Favorites: Germany, even with opponents like van Persie & Co and Ronaldo & Co.

Possible surprise: Portugal, which will have to be at their best if they want to advance. I'm setting my finger on them as number two, considering the fact that their new coach, Paulo Bento, has made it tremendous well so far. But of course, we have to see if it will hold against "The Flying Dutchmen" and "The Red and Whites"...

Forecast: 1. Germany, 2. Portugal, 3. Holland, 4. Denmark

Group C

In principle, the opening match between Spain and Italy will define the winner of a group where the two Latin teams seem to be well above the others. Vicente del Bosque's side is after all favored, but we have to remember that when the two teams met in August, Prandelli’s boys won deservedly. Though, Croatia is above Ireland, but Trapattoni will make things difficult with his organized and solid Irishmen for “The Blazers” to proceed.

Favorites: Spain, but it won't be a walk in the park.

Possible surprise: Croatia. They will make themselves hard for everyone to crack, with one genius of a playmaker in the middle: Luka Modrić.

Forecast: 1. Spain, 2. Italy, 3. Croatia, 4. Ireland

Group D

All those who believed in a conspiracy theory after watching Group A can now hide it wherever they please. Hosts Ukraine will have to overcome a couple of heavyweights and a middleweight on their way to the second round. France and England have to be considered as favorites, but both have weaknesses that can be exploited. In principle, I think Capello's side is more talented, especially if Jack Wilshere recovers in time for the tournament. The French are one step above the hosts and Sweden, but I would not bet my money on them to advance past this group stage based on their lack of experience.

Favorites: England, but yet I'm not 100% convinced, as this is a very open group.

Possible surprise: Ukraine. They are competitive and will be playing at home.

Forecast: 1. England, 2. France, 3. Ukraine, 4. Sweden

Comments
MiguelVeloso 12 years ago
FC Porto, Portugal 1 6

Finally someone that can give us some hope. I hope sincerely Portugal will go thru!

Headline 12 years ago
9 59

Good job, dude! Allow me to add one thing: Czech Republic have the capacity to beat Russia in Group A. Remember that Čech is in form, as well as they have a very experienced player in the middle, Tomáš Rosický.

MessiDona 12 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 19 248

dont underestimate greece in group A, and i dont think portugal would be a surprise they have a pretty good chance, if nani, ronaldo and coentrao step it up and pepe doesn't act like a moron they can win it

Official 12 years ago
4 71

Fantastic review. I can see fights on and off the pitch for Group A. You could clalled it "The East European Group". Haha!

Soccer 12 years ago
FC Porto, Portugal 23 37

Ey! It's not only Coentrão, Pepe, Nani and Ronaldo we have. Don't forget Bosingwa and Carvalho (if they accept Bento), Meireles, Moutinho, Danny, Postiga, Almeida, etc... :)

European 12 years ago
Chelsea, Germany 2 45

Amazing summary man! @Soccer, you forgot to mention my favorite player on Portugal: Quaresmaaa!<3

Soccer 12 years ago
FC Porto, Portugal 23 37

Yeah, sorry. I forgot Quaresma. But he was better before, I mean, he's playing in Turkey right? But Besiktas have done much better after the Portuguese trainer came in, from 6th to 2nd place in Super League. Their not that bad, besides I've heard they're paying enormous amounts of money for their players.

CR7skillz 12 years ago
Real Madrid, Iraq 22 329

portugal never can be number 1 or 2 in the group :D remember in 2004 ahaha iraq 4-2 portugal ... i still remember that match and iraq slaughtered portugal but whatever i like portugal its a great team and they have good players especially CR7 ;)

European 12 years ago
Chelsea, Germany 2 45

He's playing in Turkey, Besiktas. You've right, Besiktas is better now than for one-two years ago, because of the new Portuguese trainer. He have really solved things there. The Turkish clubs does have much money. Btw, Quaresma have played and done success in Sporting, Barcelona (only a bit) Porto, Inter, Chelsea and now he's the star on Besiktas. He's very sought after for big blubs.

PortugalUnited 12 years ago
FC Porto, Portugal 2 26

@CR7skillz - Portugal can for sure be number 1 or 2 in their group. look at all the stars (soccer has mentioned a lot), and that was in 2004 they lost. It's 7 years ago! Don't underestimate the other players, it's not only CR.. :)

Headline 12 years ago
9 59

I don't really agree with you there, @CR7skillz. They have the crew and capacity, so don't ignore that they can actually beat the Netherlands in the group stage ..

MiguelVeloso 12 years ago
FC Porto, Portugal 1 6

@Headline That's so true!

Official 12 years ago
4 71

Have you made it all by your self, Manager??

Ihaveabbc 12 years ago
Liverpool, England 7 370

Germany has good chances to win the Euro 2012.

Heisinburg 12 years ago
Manchester United 67 1516

@Ihaveabbc

Indeed. 

rossonerikid 12 years ago
AC Milan 24 100

You're severely underestimating France. They will at least reach the semi-finals. Mark my words.

Headline 12 years ago
9 59

I believe the semifinals will consist of Germany, Portugal, Spain and England. Of course it depends on when the teams will meat, but if the strongest teams escapes each other to the semifinals, I think these will be there.

European 12 years ago
Chelsea, Germany 2 45

Well, I'm not a Portugal fan, on the other hand a England fan, but I have a feeling that it's actually Portugal's turn to win this. For me it will be between Portugal and Germany in the final. Germany are soo strong, and Portugal haven't won the Euro on a long time, and they were in the final in 2004 at home, where everyone thought they would win. I also think that they have some incredible good players in this tournament. I'm so excited!

Manager 12 years ago
8 8

@Official : Yes.

expertfootball11 12 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

Portugal are  very good holland,hope that France will be thrashed out of the group.