{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Pep Guardiola overrated
liverpollfcangryfan 9 years ago Edited
Liverpool 41 419

i think pep is overrated

1. Always had a strong team.
  2. Hasn't won the champion league with bayern,the most overpowered team in the world.
  3. tiki taka isn't working anymore and he is not adjusting. look at barc they still do tiki but they counter attack.

what do you guys think overrated or not?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

i think pep is overrated

2. Hasn't won the champion league with bayern,the most overpowered team in the world.
  3. tiki taka isn't working anymore and he is not adjusting. look at barc they still do tiki but they counter attack.

i think pep is overrated

Comments
bluezz 6 years ago
Chelsea 14 724

@emo i dont think anyone has got a problem with man city spending, its just that now everyones rating pep again when last season he struggled so much

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11435

@bluezz Thats true as well. Then again, PL is hardest league to adapt to even as a manager imo, so it could be that. Not sure though.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

He can do good with a top team that has the quality to play possession football.
It's not that hard to break records when you have the financial advantage, Chelsea still holds like half of the records that were made by more than one manager because of the money invested in the team so Man City breaking 1 record is due to the money spent.

Last season he made very big tactical mistakes and he simply didn't know how to make the team work, so he just got rid of some players and bought new ones because he can afford it, most other teams can't transform an entire defense like Man City. Would he break any record without spending over 400 mil pounds? Ofc not. And to add to that, Man City was already a top 3 team it's not like he took over Derby County.

It's not that he is overrated as a coach because he knows hoe to do his job but he can only do it if specific conditions are met.

raimondo90 6 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

City had an average squad last season. He had to do a complete make over of his squad. These cycles happen every few years. City has money, but so does United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. The question comes down to who is spending smart. Pep bought the players he felt he needed to make his sistem work, others took a whole season to get adapted to it. Now its paying off.
Last season Pep was on fire the first 10 games he just didnt have the squad depth to keep competeing.

Its truly silly to dissmiss a manager just because of purchases. If you dont buy great players you stagnate and fall off the top like Arsenal. If you buy the wrong players you fail to make a true impact like Liverpool. If you buy and dont have the right coach or tactics you play boring and dont achieve much like United.
The only team that has been doing excellent buissness in EPL is Chelsea. And even now, im sure they regret not spending a little more on a few better players.

Golazo111 6 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

But it's only City that totally overspent all other teams in their "average squad" that has been in the top 4 in the last 7 seasons so you're trying to hide some obvious things...I mean it's pretty clear whos got the most financial power and that's a big factor, just like Chelsea was having an upper hand before, last transfer window City spent almost double as the second team Man United and they were already a team that was fighting for the title with or without Pep. It just can't be ignored.

It's also a clear sign when you see that City didn't need to buy anything but defense, all other teams try to patch up holes in all parts of their squad because it's needed but City just simply realised that if they reform their defense it's going to solve all the problems since the mid and attack doesn't need much.

All teams spent smart but City already had a great team and when you put an extra 200mil one summer and then 200mil another summer you can afford to bench Aguero so it's not like it's a hard job for Pep when he has so much depth and on top of that nobody has a big ego or problems part from Yaya Toure so it's a pretty easy job, when it was a bit harder he put Kolarov at centre back and lost to Monaco now there is where he clearly showed some lack of competence...

• History

But it's only City that totally overspent all other teams in their "average squad" that has been in the top 4 in the last 7 seasons so you're trying to hide some obvious things...I mean it's pretty clear whos got the most financial power and that's a big factor, just like Chelsea was having an upper hand before, last transfer window City spent almost double as the second team Man United and they were already a team that was fighting for the title with or without Pep. It just can't be ignored.

All teams spent smart but City already had a great team and when you put an extra 200mil one summer and then 200mil another summer you can afford to bench Aguero so it's not like it's a hard job for Pep when he has so much depth and on top of that nobody has a big ego or problems part from Yaya Toure so it's a pretty easy job, when it was a bit harder he put Kolarov at centre back and lost to Monaco now there is where he clearly showed some lack of competence...

tiki_taka 6 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Won’t change a word in what I’ve said 2 years ago... looks pretty accurate :)
And 2nd leg Bayern gave Arsenal 5-1 or 6-1 or something...

• History

Won’t change a word in what I’ve said 2 years ago... looks pretty accurate :)

quikzyyy 6 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

after Lewandowski dive when Koscielny got red carded lmao, let's stay on the topic..

Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11435

@quikzyyy Wasn't that this year though? After all there is 3 Bayer Mambo No. 5, I think tiki is refering to the first one in 2015, you know, the one in which Pep was actually managing Bayern Munich. ;P

• History

@quikzyyy Wasn't that last year though? After all there is 3 Bayer Mambo No. 5, I think tiki is refering to the one in 2015, you know, the one in which Pep was actually managing Bayern Munich. ;P

DarthFooty 6 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1101

Financial fair play has never really been a thing and some big teams have underperformed even with all their spending. There is a lot that goes into teams which extends farther than money. Sure top players cost a lot (Too much if you ask me), but that does not mean they play well together. Add in a manager who may or may not be able to put a system in place with the squad they have and it makes for some turbulent times in a season. Another factor is team depth for the exhausting stretches these tops teams deal with.

For Pep, you can say he has always managed teams that had money, had an overall top squad already, so it's hard to say how he would do with a team like Malaga or a West Brom. But what you can see, is how he had managed with superstars and how he had dealt with long seasons. You can see his influence in style from pretty much each team and he has had success with that style.

Speaking of style, today's Man City is a hybrid that Pep has learned over time in the EPL. He can't just have the outright tiki-taka, so he has a smart mix of players who can play in the style, yet be cutthroat in direct counters. They possess the ball enough to help their team defense, but have such a prolific offense that they are at a +44 GD.

Say what you want about Pep, but I think he is one of the top 5 managers we have seen. The most important part to all of this is his players belief in what he is having them do. Trust in the system, efforts for the manager go farther than many might think.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Pep at Bayern also had an already winning team, winning the domestic league was and still is a default for Bayern and so was semi-final in Champions League.
He didn't make anything new there, there was no real Genius Pep factor that people talk about.

Man City broke some records in the Premier league some years before Pep as well. So continuing to break records with the heavy squad boosting is also not a real Genius Pep factor.
When Mancini took Man City they finished 5th his first season which was the first time City made it that high in the Premier League, Pellegrini won the PL title in his first season also breaking some records...

Pep at Barcelona did an amazing job, after this he is yet to equal or come close to what he did with Barcelona.

Mourinho won the domestic title and UEFA cup, then the year after that again the domestic title + CL title with Porto, which he repeated with Inter later on in his career, he proved that he could reach his own top, Pep didn't do that yet so him breaking some record here and there after spending a lot of money is still not enough!

Wolfie 6 years ago
Inter, Germany 94 1844

When Pep joined Bayern he dismantled a great winning squad. Though He dominated the BuLi CL was less than impressive. Now at City He has full Controller with an impressionable young squad that he can influence. Not easy withe mature players who already have identity.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11435

@Wolfie Thats an interesting point of view. Also, welcome back mate. :D

Pep is a league coach, just like Ancelotti... Mourinho is a Cup coach. Mourinho can pull of a result over a game by neutralizing the opposition force wich almost worked with City if Lukaku didn’t flopped ( and without Pogba ), but once Pep gets control on his team, it’s quite impossible to compete with him in a league basis, his players have a winning scheme over the game to respect from GK to striker, once they integrated it, it wins them 70% of the games in almost autopilot.
KDB is being the angular scheme, Gk looks for him most of the times just like Busquets, and everything starts with the GK first pass until the 30 meter line of opposition while creatives are then completely free to deliver...
But in Cups specially final stages, individuals, intensity, luck and many other aspects like the defensive ones make Mourinho tactics or Simeone or Juve worthy to play finals kicking out attacking strikeforce teams... and these teams were present in any single final lately but barely dominating respective leagues....

For the mercato argument, let’s be serious for one second, Mendy and Bernardo Silva playing time or influence is close to 0, one picked up a long term injury and the other is having small playing time, only walker is a true addition comparing to previous season. Based on this, all top 6 got an extra quality player and failed to create the dynamic City are creating...

• History

Pep is a league coach, just like Ancelotti... Mourinho is a Cup coach. Mourinho can pull of a result over a game by neutralizing the opposition force wich almost worked with City if Lukaku didn’t flopped ( and without Pogba ), but once Pep gets control on his team, it’s quite impossible to compete with him in a league basis, his players have a winning scheme over the game to respect from GK to striker, once they integrated it, it wins them 70% of the games in almost autopilot.
KDB is being the angular scheme, Gk looks for him most of the times just like Busquets, and everything starts with the GK first pass until the 30 meter line of opposition while creatives are then completely free to deliver...
But in Cups specially final stages, individuals, intensity, luck and many other aspects like the defensive ones make Mourinho tactics or Simeone or Juve worthy to play finals kicking out attacking strikeforce teams... and these teams were present in any single final lately but barely dominating respective leagues....

The work done with Sane and Sterling is worthy of great coaching skills, just like the one with KDB. City is right now for me the best attacking team of Europe, they were never top 5 before Pep.
Maybe hate or bias aside, let’s give credit where it’s due.
Pep under Barca is 2 CL and 4 semifinals out of 4, under Bayern 2 semifinals out of 2 where the one vs Barca, Messi single handedly destroyed an even game at camp Nou scoring at 79th and 81th, they went for the 2-1 and conceded the 3 rd instead in injury time...
That’s CL high level, I don’t think Pep is to be blamed in that game, he had to deal with some big player injuries and Face à Messi in super sayan mode...
Blaming this or that for one game over a season is not really démonstrative of how good or bad someone’s season was, and it could also be applied on players...

• History

The work done with Sane and Sterling is worthy of great coaching skills, just like the one with KDB. City isn’t right now for me the best attacking team of Europe, they were never top 5 before Pep.
Maybe hate or bias aside, let’s give credit where it’s due.
Pep under Barca is 2 CL and 4 semifinals out of 4, under Bayern 2 semifinals out of 2 where the one vs Barca, Messi single handedly destroyed an even game at camp Nou scoring at 79th and 81th, they went for the 2-1 and conceded the 3 rd instead in injury time...
That’s CL high level, I don’t think Pep is to be blamed in that game, he had to deal with some big player injuries and Face à Messi in super sayan mode...
Blaming this or that for one game over a season is not really démonstrative of how good or bad someone’s season was, and it could also be applied on players...

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Not easy withe mature players who already have identity.

Nope not easy but Pep is the man for the big teams, example even with him buying Ibrahimovic that broke some mini-scoring record at the start of a season he simply stopped talking to him and put him on the bench and he was later sold.
Ibra was playing better than Messi but the bad boy attitude was enough for Pep to exclude him out of the team and continue like nothing happened. Pep is a big figure and players listen to him.

tiki_taka 6 years ago

Ibra was playing better than Messi

Minute of silence about your logic and arguments.

He scored +90 goals in that season. still gives PK to teamates to end their goaless drought....
Well i ll stop arguing with you, completely useless....

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Ibrahimovic at the start of the season went on to score in his next four games, thus setting a team record as the only player ever to score in his first five league matches :D Tiki you just think that Messi never does any wrong no matter what nobody in your eyes could ever do anything better than Messi no matter what, why do you even try to look like a normal person when you're so shit?

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11435

@Golazo Football isn't all about breaking record you know. :P You seem obsessed with record at the moment so I thought I'd remind you that simple detail. ;)

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

You necro-ed this topic yourself and your first response was this:

"He holds the consecutive win record in the Premier League, La Liga and Bundesliga and people think he's overrated."

This is why I started talking about the record breaking, it's not a big deal what he did so far in Man City and thats a fact. For what he did in Barcelona is the bar he should look to repeat, as I stated Mourinho managed to repeat his biggest victories so in case Pep does it there can't be an argument of him being overrated, specially because Man City never won CL.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11435

@Golazo Well, I guess Fred did say that, but I never told him to talk about record being broken. :P As for what he did at City, I agree its way too soon to say anything, sure he is doing well, but season is far from over. ;)