Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Newcastle purchased by Saudis
SunFlash 3 years ago
USA 19 3260

While I'm very happy it wasn't United that the Saudis used to sportwash their way into global football, still feels like a huge loss for the game.

Thoughts?

Comments
Emobot7 3 years ago
538 11432

Woah, surprised to hear that. Hadn't heard about news relating to that recently.

Is it a loss for the sport as a whole, yes I believe so.

For Newcastle and their fans, not so much, they are getting rid of a owner they never liked and are getting some potentially unlimited ressource to fight it out with the other big club in the league. The only downside are on the ethical side but as we seen in the past, this doesn't seem to matter too much to those in charge.

All in all, the only positive I see from this is potentially that PL will be more interesting and Newcastle will have an interesting project for the next few years. But overall, the negative outweight the positive for me.

quikzyyy 3 years ago Edited
Arsenal 429 9002

No wonder PL is so against Superleague, they are making their own super league, I’m happy for Newcastle fans to get rick of Ashley, but from moral perspective it’s just another disgusting move, but hey, when there’s business moral doesn’t exist.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

No wonder PL is so against Superleague, they are making their own super league, I’m happy for Newcastle fans, but from moral
perspective it’s just another disgusting move, but hey, when there’s business moral doesn’t exist.

SunFlash 3 years ago
USA 19 3260

@quik

The Premier League has been the Super League for the last several years to anyone who was paying attention. It's been trending in that direction ever since it brokered its first international TV deal to begin with. The only way anyone can compete with them financially is to either be PSG, or handle their domestic leagues in a way that gives them a leg up on the entire country (e.g. Bayern's basic monopoly on top-tier German players or Real/Barca's unequal TV deals). I've heard it argued, although I'd hestitate from it myself, that Messi and Ronaldo's worldwide appeal outside England over the last 10-15 years is the only reason why the EPL isn't a Super League in everything but name.

To give context, Championship clubs get 160 million over 3 years at promotion, even if they go right back down. The Saudis just bought AN ENTIRE TEAM for 300m. A lower table club in any other of Europe's major leagues would need a decade(s) to clear that number. Tbh Mike was robbed.

quikzyyy 3 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

That’s true, I just really hope it won’t be another City, PSG, Chelsea

quikzyyy 3 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

I just realised that the owner bin salman is one of the guys who were responsible for killing a journalist in Saudi consulate, i take back what i said before, fuck that owner.

Seeing lot of fans wanting Ashley out, but this is sad day for football.

Emobot7 3 years ago
538 11432

I just realised that the owner bin salman is one of the guys who were responsible for killing a journalist in Saudi consulate, i take back what i said before, **** that owner.

And that just one of the thing we know he did. Pretty sure there's more that we just didn't heard about.

Sad thing is that generally, the Newcastle fans seems way happier about getting rid of Ashley (and potentially of getting unlimited fund) than caring about the morality of the new owner. Dissapointing.

quikzyyy 3 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

if I was referee I would be scared to call a penalty against a then to be said.

DarthFooty 3 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1098

The amount of money they potentially will now have access to is insane. This one ownership group has more than ALL EPL club owners combined!

As for where the money comes from, well that will be debated for a long time. Just like other suspect owers over time, this will be an issue until it isn't, until people just stop talking about it.

Let's see how quickly they can turn things around there because they are in for a rough patch to start.

Emobot7 3 years ago Edited
538 11432

@DarthFooty Every time a club got buyed by a rich owner, they were debate and controversy, it happened with Chelsea, City and PSG, its going to happen to Newcastle and similar to how it happened to those other club, people will learn to accept it and to live with it.

The only worry I got is how insane Newcastle could become if the new owner decide to invest ludicrous amount of money into the club. Would hate it for PL to become a one horse race.

@quilkzyyy Hopefully, I don't think those people got enough foreign influence or are childish enough to try and organize some violent reprisal against a ref but I'm happy that I'm not a ref in Europe to potentialy test it.

• History

@DarthFooty Every time a club got buyed by a rich owner, they were debate and controversy, it happened with Chelsea, City and PSG, its going to happen to Newcastle and similar to how it happened to those other club, people will learn to accept it and to live with it.

The only worry I got is how insane Newcastle could become if the new owner decide to invest ludicrous amount of money into the club. Would hate it for PL to become a one horse race.

@quilkzyyy Hopefully, I don't think those people got enough influence or are childish enough to try and organize some violent reprisal against a ref but I'm happy that I'm not a ref in Europe to potentialy test it.

Footy_watch 3 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1856

This is great for football. I want players like mbappe and Haaland to go to Newcastle ASAP.

City were the first team to break the top 4 and make it the top 5. Now it will be the top 6; Newcastle Arsenal Man utd City Chelsea Liverpool

• History

This is great for football, I'm a neutral but come on Newcastle. Hopefully they can get players like Haaland and mbappe

This is great for football, I'm a neutral but come on Newcastle. I want mbappe and Haaland to Newcastle ASAP

This is great for football, I'm a neutral but come on Newcastle. I want players like mbappe and Haaland to go to Newcastle ASAP

This is great for football, I'm a neutral but come on Newcastle. I want players like mbappe and Haaland to go to Newcastle ASAP. City were the first team to invade the top 4 and make it the top 5. Now it will be the big 6. (The joke that is tottenham were never part of it).

This is great for football, I'm a neutral but come on Newcastle. I want players like mbappe and Haaland to go to Newcastle ASAP. City were the first team to invade the top 4 and make it the top 5. Now it will be the big 6. (The joke that is tottenham were never part of it, no premier league trophy).

This is great for football, I'm a neutral but come on Newcastle. I want players like mbappe and Haaland to go to Newcastle ASAP. City were the first team to invade the top 4 and make it the top 5. Now it will be the big 6; Newcastle Arsenal Man utd City Chelsea Liverpool

(The joke that is tottenham were never part of it, no premier league trophy).

This is great for football, I'm a neutral but come on Newcastle. I want players like mbappe and Haaland to go to Newcastle ASAP. City were the first team to invade the top 4 and make it the top 5. Now it will be the big 6; Newcastle Arsenal Man utd City Chelsea Liverpool

(The joke that is tottenham were never part of it).

This is great for football, I'm a neutral (unless Arsenal start acting like a big club again) but come on Newcastle. I want players like mbappe and Haaland to go to Newcastle ASAP. City were the first team to invade the top 4 and make it the top 5. Now it will be the big 6; Newcastle Arsenal Man utd City Chelsea Liverpool

This is great for football, I'm a neutral (unless Arsenal start acting like a big club again) but come on Newcastle. I want players like mbappe and Haaland to go to Newcastle ASAP.

City were the first team to invade the top 4 and make it the top 5. Now it will be the big 6; Newcastle Arsenal Man utd City Chelsea Liverpool

This is great for football, I'm a neutral (unless Arsenal start acting like a big club again) but come on Newcastle. I want players like mbappe and Haaland to go to Newcastle ASAP.

City were the first team to break the top 4 and make it the top 5. Now it will be the big 6; Newcastle Arsenal Man utd City Chelsea Liverpool

City were the first team to break the top 4 and make it the top 5. Now it will be the top 6; Newcastle Arsenal Man utd City Chelsea Liverpool

SunFlash 3 years ago
USA 19 3260

If you ever wanted to know how blind fans are, there it is. Newcastle has been bought by a the leadership of a country which criminalizes homosexuality with castration, public beatings, life imprisonment, and the death penalty...yet if they make their football club relevant, the LGBTQ Newcastle supporters are all in.

We need to acknowledge the power of sport. The Saudis are going to use this to create positive influence about their nation throughout the EPL's audience, which is basically the entire world, and people in and around that country (like the journalist quik referenced) are going to suffer because of it.

I said in the past I would've abandoned Manchester United if that Saudi deal had come to fruition. I genuinely love the club, but I can't love it if it's being used to shield some of the worst people in the world from public pressure/protest. It frustrates me beyond belief that others do not realize this.

Footy_watch 3 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1856

@SunFlash you want to involve your version of morality, but if you were serious then I doubt you'd still be a man utd fan. The laws of a different country are none of our business and has no relevance to the takeover. Newcastle is in England and the people living there must follow the law of England. They've been given the green light by the english authorities.

• History

@SunFlash you want to bring in that morality nonsense when you dont follow a proper moral code. I'm not surprised. The rules of another country are none of your business, so get out of here with that trash.

@SunFlash you want to bring in that morality nonsense when you dont follow a proper moral code. I'm not surprised. The rules of another country are none of your business.

@SunFlash you want to bring in that morality nonsense when you dont follow a proper moral code. I'm not surprised. The rules of another country are none of your business and has no relevance to the takeover as Newcastle is in England.

@SunFlash you want to bring in that morality nonsense but you will turn a blind eye to the immorality that exists in your club and football. The rules of another country are none of your business and has no relevance to the takeover as Newcastle is in England.

@SunFlash you want to bring in that morality nonsense but you will turn a blind eye to the immorality that exists in your club and football. The laws of another country are none of your business and has no relevance to the takeover, as Newcastle is in England.

@SunFlash you want to bring in that morality nonsense but you will turn a blind eye to the immorality that exists in your club and football. The laws of another country are none of your business and has no relevance to the takeover, as Newcastle is in England who will follow the laws of England.

@SunFlash you want to bring in that morality nonsense but you will turn a blind eye to the immorality that exists in your club and football. The laws of another country are none of your business and has no relevance to the takeover, as Newcastle is in England.

@SunFlash you want to bring in that morality nonsense but you will turn a blind eye to the immorality that exists in your club and football. The laws of the country we don't live in is none of our business and has no relevance to the takeover, as Newcastle is in England.

@SunFlash you want to bring in your morality nonsense but you will turn a blind eye to the immorality that exists in your club and football. The laws of the country we don't live in is none of our business and has no relevance to the takeover, as Newcastle is in England.

@SunFlash you want to bring in your twisted morality but if you were serious then you wouldn't be a man utd fan. The laws of the country we don't live in is none of our business and has no relevance to the takeover. Newcastle is in England.

@SunFlash you want to involve your twisted view of morality, but if you were serious then you wouldn't be a man utd fan. The laws of the country we don't live in is none of our business and has no relevance to the takeover. Newcastle is in England.

@SunFlash you want to involve your twisted view of morality, but if you were serious then I doubt you'd still be a man utd fan. The laws of the country we don't live in is none of our business and has no relevance to the takeover. Newcastle is in England.

@SunFlash you want to involve your view of morality, but if you were serious then I doubt you'd still be a man utd fan. The laws of the country we don't live in is none of our business and has no relevance to the takeover. Newcastle is in England.

@SunFlash you want to involve your view of morality, but if you were serious then I doubt you'd still be a man utd fan. The laws of the country we don't live in is none of our business and has no relevance to the takeover. Newcastle is in England and the people living their must follow the law of England.

@SunFlash you want to involve your view of morality, but if you were serious then I doubt you'd still be a man utd fan. The laws of the country we don't live in is none of our business and has no relevance to the takeover. Newcastle is in England and the people living there must follow the law of England.

@SunFlash you want to involve your view of morality, but if you were serious then I doubt you'd still be a man utd fan. The laws of the country we don't live in is none of our business and has no relevance to the takeover. Newcastle is in England and the people living there must follow the law of England. They've been given the green light by the authorities. Therefore you cant say anything.

@SunFlash you want to involve your view of morality, but if you were serious then I doubt you'd still be a man utd fan. The laws of the country we don't live in is none of our business and has no relevance to the takeover. Newcastle is in England and the people living there must follow the law of England. They've been given the green light by the english authorities. Therefore what you say doesn't matter.

@SunFlash you want to involve your version of morality, but if you were serious then I doubt you'd still be a man utd fan. The laws of a different country is none of our business and has no relevance to the takeover. Newcastle is in England and the people living there must follow the law of England. They've been given the green light by the english authorities. Therefore what you say doesn't matter.

@SunFlash you want to involve your version of morality, but if you were serious then I doubt you'd still be a man utd fan. The laws of a different country are none of our business and has no relevance to the takeover. Newcastle is in England and the people living there must follow the law of England. They've been given the green light by the english authorities. Therefore what you say doesn't matter.

@SunFlash you want to involve your version of morality, but if you were serious then I doubt you'd still be a man utd fan. The laws of a different country are none of our business and has no relevance to the takeover. Newcastle is in England and the people living there must follow the law of England. They've been given the green light by the english authorities. Therefore what you say doesn't matter and you should stay in your lane.

quikzyyy 3 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

The laws of a different country are none of our business and has no relevance to the takeover. Newcastle is in England and the people living there must follow the law of England. They've been given the green light by the english authorities. Therefore what you say doesn't matter and you should stay in your lane.

The new owner basically killed a world known journalist on a consulate in Istanbul, on international soil. Tortured him, sawed him into pieces and no one saw his body anymore. Do you think these guys follows any laws? They admitted international murder and face no consequences. Fuck that.

amir_keal 3 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Hopefully we're next. Happy for Newcastle, this was bound to happen eventually. I think it'll happen for us one day too, just waiting on time now i guess

Emobot7 3 years ago
538 11432

Therefore what you say doesn't matter and you should stay in your lane.

Mate, everyone is entitled to their opinions, saying people to stay in their lane because you personally don't agree with them is provocative and once again, against the rule of the forum. Please try to respect other people's opinion otherwise, its your that won't be respected.

yet if they make their football club relevant, the LGBTQ Newcastle supporters are all in.

Yeah, thats a bit dissapointing from them. There's a lot of excitement as a whole from Newcastle Fans and its a bit sad but then again, even if they were angry about the whole things, I doubt they could change anything.

I guess if your a Newcastle fans, either you stop supporting them or you try to look at it from a positive point of view. To be fair, its not like many of those fans cared about what was going on in Saudi Arabia before the takeover either.

@amir_keal Well I just hope that if a Arsenal is bought, the new owner won't be a governement who don't respect human right. Thats all I wish you.

Madridista11 3 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

I get the sentiment but let's not act like most of these club owners have no blood on their hands... Blood!

What is shocking to me is how shocked and appauld you and many other people seem to be at this news. You guys know most of these dudes are sick bastards but how the blood is shed/ money is laundered/ who got screwed over for this to happen is somehow a lesser evil to you, or it's just a sign of how forgetful we truly are.

As far as I'm concerned I've made peace with it all. Not right at all but corruption has been a part of professional sports since god in knows how long and money is always king.

Footy_watch 3 years ago
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1856

@Madrista11 well said. This is what you call racism

quikzyyy 3 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

To be said I don't really know much about these countries, I know how sick they are, how disgusting it is and their views of absolute zero equality. However having such a power that you basically can kill and torture publicly known person in a consulate on international soil and face absolutely zero consequences? Can you even imagine this amount of power? This guy is law to himself, he can do basically whatever he wants. He gets pissed off PL he buys it whole to himself as a playground.

I rather watch Arsenal relegated than lose all the values. enter image description here

Madridista11 3 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

Look man, I hate that I'm even having to say this cause I definitely do not condone what has happened or being done atm, but you know damn good and well most (if not all) ownership is rotten to the core and all have bloody hands one way or another.

All the stuff you posted about the new ownership and what SunFlash said in the OP is as grimmy and disgraceful as what those other owners do. No I'm not talking about financial cheat around or money laundering or anything of that sort, I'm talking much much bigger and nastier than that.

The reality is you only focus on what your indirectly told to focus on. You know some of these football owners have mine worker blood on their hands. You know some of those people have destroyed homes and stole natural resources from the less fortunate to go up the ranks... You probably even bought shoes made by a 9 yo girl that you already KNOW what conditions she's under. All I mean to say is let's all keep it a buck and call it out equally, not just call out crimes that we're not accustomed to from criminals that don't look like us.