Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Modric finally breaks it!!
amir_keal 5 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

What are your thoughts on this? DId he deserve it. On the top 10, did anyone underacheieve or overacheieve

1. Modric
  2. Ronaldo
  3. Griezmann
  4. Mbappe
  5. Messi
  6. Salah
  7. Varane
  8. Hazard
  9. De Bruyne
  10. Kane

Me personally, I don't see what Griezmann has done to get top 5, again showing this is based on trophies won, rather than actual performance. Messi outside the top 3 is a joke. And this will probably be Kane's bigger career achievement, can't see what he's done to be on this list.

Comments
the_bald_genius 5 years ago
10 1583

Let me try this:

If you had to choose, would you rather win the ucl or wc?

10 1583

Which should comes first when voting a player?

the_bald_genius 5 years ago Edited
10 1583

I might be wrong on my views here but fifa or ballon d'or needs to have a well written criteria posted on their sites when it comes to deciding. Not just give nominees and results and asked fans to suck it up or "i vote you buddy" system.

Both have no consistencies and as long as no criterias are posted we can all argue here endlessly about who what. Lol even ballon d'or and fifa can't decide whether they should merge or split.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I might be wrong on my views here but fifa or ballon d'or needs to have a well written criteria posted on their sites when it comes to deciding. Not just give nominees and results and asked fans to suck it up or "i vote you buddy" system.

Both have no consistencies and as long as no criterias are posted we can all argue here endlessly about who what. Lol even ballon d'or and fifa can decide whether they should merge or split.

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11435

Still think Modric performance at world cup was what gave him the edge. Anyone else think he would have never won it if Croatia wouldn't have make it out of the group phase or of the round of 16?

raimondo90 5 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

I know that the WC is the single biggest competition in football but at the end of the day it's only about 7 games every 4 years. During a WC season 7 matches are worth more than about 50-60 club games. That's ridiculous. I think trophies won shouldn't even be considered into who wins BdO. (Also thought Rakitic was better than Modric in the WC but that's irrelevant).

Split this trophy into 4 categories given to best attacker, best midfield, best defender and best keeper. That way the voters can actually use some sense and see who truly was the best at his given role. Because trying to say whose the better football player between a striker and a keeper is a ridiculous debate.

quikzyyy 5 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

I know that the WC is the single biggest competition in football but at the end of the day it's only about 7 games every 4 years. During a WC season 7 matches are worth more than about 50-60 club games.

exactly, imagine being mediocre for whole year, then basically winning the world cup by your own scoring for example 15 goals, does this mean you should win it, in front of players who were better majority of the year in all stats?

_Pelle_ 5 years ago
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6888

WC alone should not determine the winner, as the WC itself already has a price for best player. However it weighs heavily on the scale if it is a close race between players.

10 1583

Agree with raimondo, different positions need different judgement. Example how we rate a goalie is different to striker.

But to add to the complexity do we consider flexible players like hazard and messi a midfield or forward? Since it will be slightly different in the way we judge both position. Assists or goals? Footyroom decides lol.

Tuanis 5 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

The fact that you are already handing out an individual award for a collective sport makes it wrong from the very beginning.
I would love a structure where 4 different awards where given, one for each playing position.

Modric in the previous 5 years wouldn't have made it into the top 3 for the Ballon d'Or.
Likewise, any of the top 3 of the past years would have definitely taken the award this year.

I want to finish off with a comment I saw earlier.

"How are you going to explain to your children that Modric won a Ballon d'Or and these two didn't..."

enter image description here

tuan_jinn 5 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

true...

But on those years, Messi or Ronaldo were TOOOOOOO exceptional. That's the least I can explain (does not mean it feels all the way correct)

I disagree with this this award so much, at least Im glad it's less of a popularity contest this year, just a bit less

DarthFooty 5 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1101

Why don't we do our own FOOTYROOM Awards? We all agree that the Ballon d'Or is a joke based mostly on popularity and position bias. Lets do our own list and vote on the winner!

Best Forward/Striker in the World

Best Midfielder in the World

Best Defender in the World

Best Goalkeeper in the World

We can come up with a list for each position, then vote on who we think is the best. Can see if we can be more subjective or still fall for our favorites (the popular votes).

Thoughts?

Tuanis 5 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

@DarthFooty

Sounds like a great idea, try to make a poll and then we'll see who wins it.
But don't make the same mistakes as other awards, try to establish some criteria.

tuan_jinn 5 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

DarthFooty: can you take the honor and do it!

In a new thread

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

DarthFooty: can you take the honor and do it!

DarthFooty 5 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1101

I'll try to sneak in some time to get a new thread going. Have not done "Polls" before on the site so that will be cool to learn.

serans 5 years ago
Manchester United, Poland 3 203

I think Modric earned it.

And please dont act surprised that the trophies matters.. it would be weird if they wouldn't.
It's not all about scoring most goals or having most assists for me, it's about having big moments in most important games.

Modric was very good whole year, was captain of second team in the WC and won CL.
He was in final of both biggest tournaments.

Also winning or doing well in WC always give you the edge winning balon d'or - look at Fabio Cannavaro in 2006 :)

And let's face it, banging most goals while playing in best team in La Liga is not amazing anymore (for me at least). Of course i think Messi should be 2nd or 3rd at least in this ranking.

quikzyyy 5 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

He was in final of both biggest tournaments.

Lovren for ballon d'Or!

amir_keal 5 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Lovren guided both his sides to finals, well played there.

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11435

Lovren for ballon d'Or!

tiki_taka 5 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Ibra quote :

I believe the one who was competing with Messi all these years was Florentino Perez, i think Modric should go and thank him immediately.

Grande Ibra 😂