Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Modric finally breaks it!!
amir_keal 5 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

What are your thoughts on this? DId he deserve it. On the top 10, did anyone underacheieve or overacheieve

1. Modric
  2. Ronaldo
  3. Griezmann
  4. Mbappe
  5. Messi
  6. Salah
  7. Varane
  8. Hazard
  9. De Bruyne
  10. Kane

Me personally, I don't see what Griezmann has done to get top 5, again showing this is based on trophies won, rather than actual performance. Messi outside the top 3 is a joke. And this will probably be Kane's bigger career achievement, can't see what he's done to be on this list.

Comments
quikzyyy 5 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

DId he deserve it?

no

ramaboy10 5 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

man messi has not been appreciated enough at all

Eden17Hazard17 5 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

You could say he deserves it, but If Modric is getting it this year, that just shows how badly Sneijder was robbed in 2010. They've got to be more consistent with their criteria.

SunFlash 5 years ago
USA 19 3260

Modric won because voters are bored with how good Ronaldo and Messi are.

the_bald_genius 5 years ago
10 1583

Where is "born to be makelele" kante?

matrix 5 years ago Edited
Arsenal, England 3 268

Comparing modric case to sneijder case is an absurd argument. For sneijder there was a lot of competition back then such as Messi xavi iniesta Ronaldo etc. Modric on the other hand faced not much competition since this years ballon dor was the most open in over a decade with the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, varane, salah, mbappe bruyne etc having good seasons but not exceptional ones. It's the perspective you look at it.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Comparing modric case to sneijder case is an absurd argument. For sneijder there was a lot of com0ettion back then such as Messi xavi iniesta Ronaldo etc. Modric on the other hand faced not much competition since this years ballon dor was the most open in over a decade with the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, varane, salah, mbappe bruyne etc having good seasons but not exceptional ones. It's the perspective you look at it.

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

I agree he might have not deserved it that much but you know what, at this point, I'm just glad it someone else than Messi or Ronaldo won it. :P Also, if there anyone I don't mind seeing win this trophy despite not completely having dominate this season, its him.

Pupper 5 years ago
Juventus 0 214

There's no doubt Messi has had the best individual season of them all. But playing the best football doesn't really matter for this award, if you don't end up winning the Champions League/World Cup.

Am I the only only one who find Griezmann's and Mbappe's placements really undeserved, even though it doesn't really matter?

DarthFooty 5 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1098

Hell yes it is deserved. Messi and Ronaldo don't score all solo goals, someone gets them the ball at some point.

Luca was amazing this year and this is well deserved. I wish keepers and defenders had more of an opportunity for this award as well because then it would truly represent the best overall player, but we know that offense is the shiny penny.

matrix 5 years ago
Arsenal, England 3 268

@darthfooty who is Luca modric?

tiki_taka 5 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

The only award I recognize is IFFHS award. ( international Federation of Football History and statistics and they gave it to Modric for the world best playmaker. Fully deserved imo and Messi is 2nd. Messi was first past 3 years of best playmaker.
Modric got a sensational career, only player I can put above Messi this season.

quikzyyy 5 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Hell yes it is deserved. Messi and Ronaldo don't score all solo goals, someone gets them the ball at some point.

I mean, Messi has won 3 trophies, scored most goals, had most assist, most key passes and he has finished 5th, behind Mbappe, that's joke.

matrix 5 years ago
Arsenal, England 3 268

If ballon dor was all about goals assists playmaking etc then how are defenders and keepers meant to compete ? Deserved for lukita

quikzyyy 5 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

in what terms was Mbappe better than Messi then? it's just a popularity contest, the whole gala was one big joke.

Tuanis 5 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

I don't think anyone can argue any other player played better/achieved more than Modric in the past season.
I don't like it either but who could have taken his place? Nobody else stood out as much for club and country.

This year's award was very weak imo. Any of the finalists in previous years could have taken it. Messi Neymar, Iniesta etc. But this season no other player deserved it more. Individually not outstanding but enough to put him in a fair 1st place.

Do you guys think the WC should have such big impact on this award? More? Less?

tuan_jinn 5 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Totally deserved in my eyes.

But Messi out of top 3 in individual performance through out the year is quite bad... Based on, dribble, visions, impacts, goals, key passes...

But again, this award has been a popularity contest for years...

I guess people also tired of seeing CR7 and Messi won it year in year out despite both deserved it (with a couple of high controversial years)

Ledley 5 years ago
Celtic, Australia 46 1310

Am I the only only one who find Griezmann's and Mbappe's placements really undeserved, even though it doesn't really matter?

Nope. Griezmann is just Griezmann, and Mbappe is good. But nowhere as good as Messi or Ronaldo were at his age.

The fact Mbappe and Griezmann were ranked above Messi (in 5th) is laughable.

Ledley 5 years ago
Celtic, Australia 46 1310

Comparing modric case to sneijder case is an absurd argument.

Not absurd at all. Won the UCL that year with Inter and went all the way to the final in 2010 with Holland.

Eden17Hazard17 5 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

@matrix

Comparing modric case to sneijder case is an absurd argument.

Sneijer won the cup, league and CL that year and was a huge part of the Inter team. He also scored five goals at the World Cup, equal highest, and helped the Netherlands to the final, where they only lost 1-0 in ET.

Messi won it in 2010 with 22.65% of the points. Barcelona won the league, but were knocked out in the R16 in the cup, and only made the semis of the CL. Messi had 47 goals in 53 games in the 09/10 season.

Clearly the emphasis was more on goals, as Messi also beat the likes of Iniesta (2nd) and Xavi (3rd), who achieved the same club honours but won the World Cup as well.

This season Modric and Ronaldo both finish 3rd in the league with Madrid, reach the quarter finals of the cup, and win the CL. Modric plays great all season, but he wasn't much better, if better at all than Sneijder in 09/10. Sniejder definitely had more team success compared to Modric. Sneijder won the treble and had a 1-0 WC final loss in ET. Modric only won the CL and got well beaten in the final of the WC.

Ronaldo scored 44 goals in 44 games last season, and he comes 2nd in the voting for the 2018 Ballon D'or, with about half as many points as Modric.

Player 09/10 Ballon D'Or
Messi 1st La Liga, R16 in Copa, SF in Cl, QF of WC, 47 goals in 54 games 1st
Sneijder 1st Serie A, 1st Coppa Italia, 1st CL, Final in WC, 5 goals in the WC (= highest) 4th
Player 17/18 Ballon D'Or
Modric 3rd La Liga, QF in Copa, 1st CL, Final in WC, 1st
Ronaldo 3rd La Liga, QF in Copa, 1st CL, R16 of WC, 44 goals in 44 games 2nd

Sneijder deserved it more in '10 than Modric deserves it now.

the_bald_genius 5 years ago Edited
10 1583

Dont forget robben or ribery 2013 too. For me, iniesta/xavi 2010. Neuer 2014. If we want to decide this by trophies then lampard should have been at least third on 11/12 season.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Dont forget robben or ribery 2013 too. For me, iniesta/xavi 2010.

Dont forget robben or ribery 2013 too. For me, iniesta/xavi 2010. Neuer 2014.