Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Man United next season (18/19). Attacking football?
tuan_jinn 6 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Players are coming back after the WC.

5 of them are the bigger stars who really shined in the tournament: Paul Pogba. Jesse Lingard. Romelu Lukaku. Marouane Fellaini. Ashley Young. While a handful of others have proven to done enough to impress Mourinho.

With Sanchez, Rashford, Mata (may be Martial), and some potential signings the attacking force looks promising.

Mourinho is his recent interview and plan with ESPN, mentioned he has no problem playing attacking football next season and he would.
And with those players at his disposal he SHOULD!!!

Despite never really been his strong tactic, Mourinho can for sure go and trash teams for records. it's true, but the last few seasons of his career (especially since Inter) he seem to afraid of doing that, and try to replicate what worked in Inter....

Next season is his 3rd. I'm not sure...

What do you think?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Players are coming back after the WC.

5 of them are the bigger stars who really shined in the tournament: Paul Pogba. Jesse Lingard. Romelu Lukaku. Marouane Fellaini. Ashley Young. While a handful of others have proven to done enough to impress Mourinho.

With Sanchez, Rashford, Mata (may be Martial), and some potential signings the attacking force looks promising.

Mourinho is his recent interview and plan with ESPN, mention he has no problem playing attacking football next season.

Despite never really been his strong tactic, Mourinho can for sure go and trash teams for records. it's true, but the last few seasons of his career (especially since Inter) he seem to afraid of doing that, and try to replicate what worked in Inter....

Next season is his 3rd. I'm not sure...

What do you think?

Comments
Eden17Hazard17 6 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

Exactly! This United squad is terrific and Mourinho is capable of playing attacking football with them, but I don't know whether he'll take that risk. It's not a Mourinho thing to do, and I'm sure he's wary of his third season blues.

iHEARTfootball 6 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

This is probably his last chance to prove his worth. I would advise to definitely go for the offensive this season. We have 'most' players that can make this happen, but we are still in desperate need for a high profile CB, and a proper winger.

I read that the higher ups are blocking Mourinho's pursuit to bring in either Willian nor Perisic. This is suicide for Mourinho's Utd career. If he bottles it again this season, we probably will never see what he was truly capable of with the squad he had planned in the first place. I would break the bank, if necessary, to bring in either one of those wingers. Deliver the man's needs, and then we can see whether the bet to bring in Mourinho was all worth it.

_Pelle_ 6 years ago Edited
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6871

I would like to see MU make better use of Rashfords (Lingaards?) speed in counterattacks. Even Lukaku looked dangerous during WC when it happened. The other top teams seems to have a slighter better squad regarding possession so MU should instead of trying possession-minded attack be really "aggressive" defensively and punish the teams in the counterattacks. This could work against Man City, Arsenal, Spurs(?)... As for Liverpool and Chelsea I think they can be hurt through the wings as these two teams are quite loaded with good players more centrally (their usual lineups 4-3-3 and 3-5-2, but we will see what Sarri will make of his team). So I think most importantly for MU is to be aggressive on defense and make use of a player like Rashford and Lingaard (Martial?) in a similar role as younger Ronaldo on the wings. In the box you will have beasts like Lukaku, Fellaini etx. This could be a good start. But in the end you must be able to adapt your team to different situations... Just my humble opinion :)

• History

I would like to see MU make bettet use of Rashfords (Lingaards?) speed in counterattacks. Even Lukaku looked dangerous during WC when it happened. The other top teams seems to have a slighter better squad regarding possession so MU should instead of trying possession-minded attack be really "aggressive" defensively and punish the teams in the counterattacks. This could work against Man City, Arsenal, Spurs(?)... As for Liverpool and Chelsea I think they can be hurt through the wings as these two teams are quite loaded with good players more centrally. So I think most importantly for MU is to be aggressive on defense and make use of a player like Rashford and Lingaard (Martial?) in a similar role as Ronaldo on the wings. In the box you will have beasts like Lukaku, Fellaini etx. This could be a good start. But in the end you must be able to adapt your team to different situations... Just my humble opinion :)

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

question 1. can fred and pogba play in the same starting?

tuan_jinn 6 years ago

The problem with current use and preference of squad selections from Mou in my opinion is he's always for workers, farmers style. They gotta be strong, fast first... Lingard has quite low creativity IMO... but he's perfect for Mou's style. Same with Asley Young, Fellani etc...

Dont get me wrong, the lads can be excellent...

Quite hard to explain but I never like a worker's team :( and MU used to have a good mix

_Pelle_ 6 years ago
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6871

I forgot to add... MU should try to play something like France in WC. But it requires high tactical skills from coach (which Mou should have) and perfect execution from players (where the achilles heel is)

Dynastian98 6 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I feel like Mourinho stopped caring about offense after he left Madrid lol. Inter and Madrid were the two times I have seen him actually construct a good/great offense alongside his usual defensive tactics.

tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

With the actual squad Mourinho can only compete for third place, Imo he needs good defensive signings and get rid of some players no longer used in the team.

tuan_jinn 6 years ago

@Pelle: well, it was CUP games very different... Im not sure if applying the same style as France had would work...

@Dyn: yeah :( I think after the 2 sacks from real and Chelsea, he feels the need to prove (despite saying no), then got attacked by the media, then Mou being Mou went on to prove ppl wrong... which is stupid...

@tiki: 3rd place? NAH comon, with that much of investment, we are going for 1st.

_Gonzi_ 6 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

i'd be surprised if they make top 3. man city and liverpool will fight for first. chelsea will be buzzing with sarri. i think arsenal will be the big surprise this year under unai. i just can't see united winning the title...if they play anything like last season, it'll be boring.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

They should 100% play attack. However, we already know Mourinho, he only care about results and its his philosophy to play defensive. He don't see the point of attacking and I heard he isn't pleased with Pogba which could be the key to United winning something next season with his creativity and vision. Anyway, I don't see Mou changing much to his United side, I expect something similar to last season where they played a bit more free at first and won a couple of 4-0 victory but then Mou will bring back the more defensive minded style of play and it will be back to the classic Mourinho tactic we all love to hate. :( It will be very hard anyway for United to win the league next season with their current set-up. Unless Fred is brought as a first team player to free Pogba from defensive responsability, I don't see thing working much better than last season.

tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Sorry Tuan but I don’t see them hunting Liverpool or Man City. I see them doing better than last year but not having enough consistency to end up champions...

expertfootball11 6 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

When you have Mou as manager, don't expect high-level entertaining football, even LVG did it better. So far Mourinho is a disapointment except for the Europa League in 2017

tuan_jinn 6 years ago

To be fair, since the retirement of Sir. Alex, our football has been shiet. LVG period was no better, he was naive and as insane.

Mou has delivered things so far, at least, its fact.

But auch deliver wont last long consider the investmwnt we have made. The problem with him is not only that, its the way we play, his coward attitude sometimes.

If he puts down his ego away, and make the best out of his attacking side, i dont see we cant compete for the title.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@tuan The question is, when exactly in the history of football has Mourinho ever put down his ego? :(

legends16 6 years ago
Chelsea, England 39 783

Mourinho has such a wealth of excellent attacking players at Manchester United who could form a lethal attacking force if they were allowed more freedom rather than carry out very specific functions, which is how Mou likes to manage them.

@Pelle
You say Mourinho doesn't have the players to execute the plan, I'd argue he has an extremely strong, rounded squad which is more than capable of doing exactly what he asks of them. These are high level professionals.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@legends Agreed with you, I feel MU got the talent to win the league but I would argue Mou does't have the guts to take by assault, his weakness is his ego and mentality atm.

_Gonzi_ 6 years ago Edited
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

mou's style is dead. it's old football philosophy. he did the same with inter. they sacrificed goals and assists for the betterment of the team, but it won't work anymore. the attackers now are more technically gifted and agile, with guardiola, klopp and sarri at top teams in epl...it's game over for mou. i see no difference in van gaal and mou. actually....van gaal at least experimented and took risks.

• History

mou's style is dead. it's old football philosophy. he did the same with inter. they sacrificed goals and assists for the betterment of the team, but it won't work anymore. the attackers now are more technically gifted and agile.

mou's style is dead. it's old football philosophy. he did the same with inter. they sacrificed goals and assists for the betterment of the team, but it won't work anymore. the attackers now are more technically gifted and agile, with guardiola, klopp and sarri at top teams in epl...it's game over for mou.

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

van gaal at least experimented and took risks.

Van Gaal couldn't get top 4 or get out of a UCL group ahead of PSV. I'll take my chances with Mou, those are some awful rose-colored glasses you've got on there.

Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11426

@Sunflash Fair enough, Mou is obviously better in that sense. Still wish he would give younger more play time. :( Pretty sure Martial wouldn't even consider leaving MU if it wasn't for Mou.

• History

@Sunflash Fair enough, Mou is obviously better in that sense. Still wish he would give younger more play time. :( Pretty Martial wouldn't even consider leaving MU if it wasn't for Mou.