Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Kante wins PFA Player of the Year Award - Thoughts
legends16 7 years ago Edited
Chelsea, England 39 783

Okay, so maybe I wanted Hazard to get this award but Kante thoroughly, thoroughly deserves this. He has such an incredible work-rate that is so easily overlooked. You sometimes just forget how many crucial interceptions he makes. It is basically his hard work that allows the whole team to play so effectively. Finally he gets the overdue recognition he deserves.
Well done mate, you deserve this one.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Okay, so maybe I wanted Hazard to get this award but Kante thoroughly, thoroughly deserves this award. He has such an incredible work-rate that is so easily overlooked. You sometimes just forget how many crucial interceptions he makes. It is basically his hard work that allows the whole team to play so effectively. Finally he gets the overdue recognition he deserves.
Well done mate, you deserve this one.

Comments
tuan_jinn 7 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

I am also with @Dario & @Emo here.

I certainly know it's biased and I know Zlatan was wasteful sometimes, but he also saved us so many times during our transition period. +1

• History

I am also with @Dario & @Emo here

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Normally I'd be the first one celebrating a defender or defensive-minded player winning any major award, but not right now. If he'd have won it last season, it would have been fully deserved - this season? Eh. Chelsea's defense is third in the league, and while it's been good, no one has jumped out as being that legit defender who is worth talking about in the same sentence with the big attackers to which the attention usually goes. A little bit annoyed because I thought Lukaku deserved it by a significant margin.

I almost feel as though this is corrected for last season. I think we can all agree that if last season never happened, no one would even be considering Kante for this award right now. I thought he was better last season, and I think there are better candidates than him this season.

chelsea8 7 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

^thank god you didn't get to vote, i'm pretty sure that most proffessionals know more about football and made the right choice. But it's understandable because you probably watched only 3 matches of him play vs united.

• History

^thank god you didn't get to vote, i'm pretty sure that most proffessionals know more about football and made the right choice.

quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

how did Lukaku deserve it over Kante/Hazard/Alexis?

chelsea8 7 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

@quikzy agreed other than kante i would give it to sanchez/hazard.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Always knew this would be an unpopular opinion, and I'm not entirely certain how to convey what I'm thinking here.

^thank god you didn't get to vote, i'm pretty sure that most proffessionals know more about football and made the right choice. But it's understandable because you probably watched only 3 matches of him play vs united.

I have watched considerably more than three games of Chelsea this season. We both know that. In the vast majority of those games, Chelsea doesn't win because of Kante. He's a great performer, one of, if not the best at his position in the league. There were times this season, early, when Costa was carrying Chelsea. Then Hazard was doing it. Then the backline of Chelsea became rocksolid, particularly David Luiz. Kante was a constant around all that. But he was never the main factor, he was just an excellent contributor to the overall team effort of Chelsea's defense. If I could've nominated all of Chelsea's defense for this award I would've. But Kante is not good enough as an individual to merit this. Is he the best midfield destroyer in the world? I, personally, would say no.

As for the professionals, I am always slightly wary of awards done based on professionals. As the American sports have noted time and time again, peer-voting in sports produces strange winners. A good example is the top 100 players that the NFL does every offseason. Since it is done very season, certain trends become very common, the most reoccurring of which is that if a player is low on the list for a certain year and a large amount of people question the ranking, regardless of if that player's next season is better or worse, they will increase their rank as voted by their peers. When questioned about this an other odd irregularities within the list, there are myriads of reasons including positions, teams, personal vendettas, etc. Perhaps the best example of the oddities within peer-based voting is shown in the NBA All-Star game where two of the leagues best players were not on half the player's choices.

The TL:DR of that is that just because it's peer-based voting, doesn't mean it's responsible voting. The inherent fallibility of bias and ignorance is held just as much, if not even more so.

how did Lukaku deserve it over Kante/Hazard/Alexis?

Good question. When I am trying to decide a "player of the year," I think, who has made the most difference to their team? Have they over or underachieved? Individually? As a team? Why are they or their team in the position that they are now? Is this individual directly responsible for that?

When looking at the question like this, Lukaku, Hazard, or Kane become the obvious choices. As I noted earlier, if Chelsea's entire backline had the ability to be nominated, I would've picked them without hesitation. Hazard has had periods this season of "do nothingness" and luckily Chelsea has had the players to pick up that slack, notably Costa at the start of the season, and their team as a whole has pitched into the effort quite nicely (see: that "Kane is quite good" thread where a lot of numbers were being thrown around on this topic). Kane has been fantastic, but his supporting cast has also been excellent. This doesn't automatically rule him out, but it provides great contrast onto Lukaku's efforts with Everton, which have been unbelievable. Leads the league in outright scoring by a considerable margin, has a weaker team around him, and has won more points for Everton as an individual than all the other nominees as individuals, maybe even combined. As for Sanchez, he's been great too. But Arsenal are in 7th, and they shouldn't be. Everton are in 6th, and they shouldn't be either. The team over/underachieving makes a big difference even when gauging an individual award. Was the individual player able to make an impact on how their team gets results? Sadly, for Sanchez, the answer to that is no.

You don't have to agree with me, and I'm not attempting to make you. I just want to outline the thinking that got me to that conclusion so I don't have to suffer the poor attempts at degradation thrown at me by other members by not going with the herd.

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Completely deserved. Happy not to see a poacher taking it.

Wolfie 7 years ago
Inter, Germany 94 1844

Top guy, should have won it last season too.

nandaYNWA 7 years ago
Liverpool, Australia 87 946

has won more points for Everton as an individual than all the other nominees as individuals

just wondering where this stat came from? im not questioning its truthfulness, just interested :p

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Nanda

Well the only way to measure that would be by goals and assists. We can probably calculate that by hand, but unfortunately, we can't stretch that metric to Kante. :/

JuanMata10 7 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

I agree with @Sunflash's opinion about Kanté. I think people only started to notice the impact he had at Leicester in the last quarter of last season. Remember that the votes for the PFA Award are casted in February, but the winner only receives it 2 months later. Since then everyone has jumped on the bandwagon of accrediting him with God-like status. Of course, he's a top class player, but it seems as if people are trying to make up what they failed to do last season. Now having top players around him inevitably lead to a reduced impact compared to his influence at Leicester.

@Sun: It's interesting that you've named Özil (who disappears in literally every big game) as the best player of the Premier League on numerous occasions on this forum, but discredit Hazard because of alleged periods of "do nothingness". What do you even mean by this? Not scoring goals? Hazard has been Chelsea´s best performer this season by a mile. The influence he has on the team isn't measurable with stats. There are players that completely change the attitude and confidence of the team if they play, compared to when they are not in the starting XI. Hazard is one of them. He's not a typical goalscorer but he has scored in nearly every game against the top 6 this season, but that's not even the main factor why he's so good. If you took out Hazard at the beginning of the season, Chelsea would have been nowhere near the title. In that sense, you're trying to give all the credit to Chelsea's defense (and Costa). If you've been following Chelsea closely over the course of the season though, you'll notice that our defence has been average and leaky since the end of January. Costa has been shit ever since the China rumours popped up mid-January. Who remained to carry Chelsea? Hazard.

• History

I agree with @Sunflash's opinion about Kanté. I think people only started to notice the impact he had at Leicester in the last quarter of last season. Remember that the votes for the PFA Award are casted in February though, but the winner only receives it 2 months later. Since then everyone has jumped on the bandwagon of accrediting him with God-like status. Of course, he's a top class player, but it seems as if people are trying to make up what they failed to do last season. Now having top players around him inevitably lead to a reduced impact compared to his influence at Leicester.

@Sun: It's interesting that you've named Özil (who disappears in literally every big game) as the best player of the Premier League on numerous occasions on this forum, but discredit Hazard because of alleged periods of "do nothingness". What do you even mean by this? Not scoring goals? Hazard has been Chelsea´s best performer this season by a mile. The influence he has on the team isn't measurable with stats. There are players that completely change the attitude and confidence of the team if they play, compared to when they are not in the starting XI. Hazard is one of them. He's not a typical goalscorer but he has scored in nearly every game against the top 6 this season, but that's not even the main factor why he's so good. If you took out Hazard at the beginning of the season, Chelsea would have been nowhere near the title. In that sense, you're trying to give all the credit to Chelsea's defense (and Costa). If you've been following Chelsea closely over the course of the season though, you'll notice that our defence has been average and leaky since the end of January. Costa has been shit ever since the China rumours popped up mid-January. Who remained to carry Chelsa? Hazard.

I agree with @Sunflash's opinion about Kanté. I think people only started to notice the impact he had at Leicester in the last quarter of last season. Remember that the votes for the PFA Award are casted in February, but the winner only receives it 2 months later. Since then everyone has jumped on the bandwagon of accrediting him with God-like status. Of course, he's a top class player, but it seems as if people are trying to make up what they failed to do last season. Now having top players around him inevitably lead to a reduced impact compared to his influence at Leicester.

@Sun: It's interesting that you've named Özil (who disappears in literally every big game) as the best player of the Premier League on numerous occasions on this forum, but discredit Hazard because of alleged periods of "do nothingness". What do you even mean by this? Not scoring goals? Hazard has been Chelsea´s best performer this season by a mile. The influence he has on the team isn't measurable with stats. There are players that completely change the attitude and confidence of the team if they play, compared to when they are not in the starting XI. Hazard is one of them. He's not a typical goalscorer but he has scored in nearly every game against the top 6 this season, but that's not even the main factor why he's so good. If you took out Hazard at the beginning of the season, Chelsea would have been nowhere near the title. In that sense, you're trying to give all the credit to Chelsea's defense (and Costa). If you've been following Chelsea closely over the course of the season though, you'll notice that our defence has been average and leaky since the end of January. Costa has been shit ever since the China rumours popped up mid-January. Who remained to carry Chelsa? Hazard.

SunFlash 7 years ago Edited
USA 19 3260

@Juan

Tough to disagree with any of that. Costa's form has fallen off a cliff which is why I specifically noted that he was doing the carrying at the start of the season. However, when he was on, all of Chelsea's goals were coming through him. I can remember quite clearly a few games that Chelsea seemed destined to draw/lose until Costa changed the picture. As for the defense, they've opened a bit, but still have been the biggest constant of Chelsea this season. Conte's system was always going to be somewhat figured out eventually. Hazard has been Chelsea's workhorse over the past few months, which is why he'd on the top 3 for me this season. Not ignoring him by any means, I just don't think he's been the dominating force over the entire season that Lukaku and Kane have been.

Regarding Ozil, he's in my doghouse right now. I think that in terms of pure ability, he's probably still the best player in the league. He just doesn't seem to care. That pisses me off so much. So, so much. The effortless way he goes about what he does is fine if he is producing, when he's not, he looks like the kid that doesn't want to be there. Waste of a spot in Arsenal's 11 right now, if you ask me.

@nada

That was a spitballed statistic, but I'd be shocked if it was incorrect. Lukaku has scored nearly half of his team's goals this season.

• History

@Juan

Tough to disagree with any of that. Costa's form has fallen off a cliff which is why I specifically noted that he was doing the carrying at the start of the season. However, when he was on, all of Chelsea's goals were coming through him. I can remember quite clearly a few games that Chelsea seemed destined to draw/lose until Costa changed the picture. As for the defense, they've opened a bit, but still have been the biggest constant of Chelsea this season. Conte's system was always going to be somewhat figured out eventually. Hazard has been Chelsea's workhorse over the past few months, which is why he'd on the top 3 for me this season. Not ignoring him by any means, I just don't think he's been the dominating force over the entire season that Lukaku and Kane have been.

Regarding Ozil, he's in my doghouse right now. I think that in terms of pure ability, he's probably still the best player in the league. He just doesn't seem to care. That pisses me off so much. So, so much. The effortless way he goes about what he does is fine if he is producing, when he's not, he looks like the kid that doesn't want to be there. Waste of a spot in Arsenal's 11 right now, if you ask me.

quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Speaking if Lukaku has won more points for Everton than anyone else. I will try to add points by means of their goals: 3 points for the wining goal, 1 for a goal in a draw and if without his goal the points would be split the other way, 0 while loosing the game and no effect if the game is already won (mean team is wining 2:0 and player scores 3rd, 4th goal etc..)

Lukaku
3 goals against Sunderland - 3 points
3rd goal against Boro - no effect
1 goal against CP - 1 point
1 goal against City - 1 point
1st goal against WHU - 3 points
2 goals against Watford - 0 points
2nd goal against Leicester - no effect
3rd goal against Southampton - no effect
1st goal against City - 3 points
4 goals against Bournemouth - 3 points
2nd goal against Sunderland - no effect
1 goal against Spurs - 0 points
3rd goal against West Brom. - no effect
3rd & arsenal goal against Hull - no effect
2 goals against Leicester - 3 points
3rd goal vs Burnley - no effect

by this Lukaku has won 17 points for Everton, while assisting 6 more.

Alexis
1 goal against Watford - 3 points
1st & 3rd goal against Hull - 3 points
1st goal against Chelsea - 3 points
1st & 4th goal against Sunderland - no effect
1st & 3rd goal against Bournemouth - wasn't winning one but without, it would have been draw = 1 point
3 goals against WHU - 3 points
1 goal against Everton - 0 points
1 goal against Bournemouth - 1 point
4th goal against Swansea - no effect
1 goal against Burnley - 3 points
2 goals against Hull - 3 points
1 goal against West Brom. - 0 points
1 goal against Boro - wasn't winning one but without, it would have been draw = 1 point

by this Alexis has won 21 points for Arsenal, while assisting 9 more.

Hazard & Kante were obvious choices for me, 1st & 2nd without a doubt. I knew Alexis had no chance in winning it because of the team position, but in my opinion he has certainly made more impact on Arsenal season than Luaku at Everton season.

Emobot7 7 years ago Edited
538 11432

@Sunflash 24 goal for Lukaku against 57 goal for everton. Now, to analyse the point he gave Everton this season on his own, just to explain, I will only take game where his goal really made a difference on their own. For exemple, I won't count game where he scored the third goal in a 3-1 win. Those in strong text could be argued with I guess.

3 point against Sunderland
1 point against Crystal Palace
1 point against City
3 point against West Ham (scored the first goal of a 2-0 win against the hammer)
3 point against City (scored the first goal of a 4-0 win against the citizen)
2 point againt Bournermouth (scored 3 goal of a 6-3 win against the cherries, would have been a draw without him)
2 point against Leicester (scored 2 goal of a 4-2 win against the fox, would have been a draw without him)

He gave them this season anywhere between 9 to 15 point (depend on how you feel about the game he scored the first of many goal). I would personaly settle on an average of 13. Also analysing all Everton game, I realise Lukaku has a tendency of scoring late, sometime 1 or even 2 goal in the last few minute of an already decided game. So yeah, despite his insane number of goal, I don't really think he had as much impact as you might have thought on Everton campaign. He especially doesn't seem to score a lot against the big six, with the exception of City.

@quikzyyy Oh... Might have been better to wait to make that analysis. XD A note though, you give them one point or three point for salvaging a win while you should actually give him 2 because the difference between a draw and a win is two point. Well, in my opinion, since his team would have still have had 1 point.

• History

@Sunflash 24 goal for Lukaku against 57 goal for everton. Now, to analyse the point he gave Everton this season on his own, just to explain, I will only take game where his goal really made a difference on their own. For exemple, I won't count game where he scored the third goal in a 3-1 win. Those with a star could be argued with I guess.

1 point against City
3 point against West Ham (scored the first goal of a 2-0 win against the hammer)
2 point againt Bournermouth (scored 3 goal of a 6-3 win against the cherries, would have been a draw without him)
2 point against Leicester (scored 2 goal of a 4-2 win against the fox, would have been a draw without him)

He gave them this anywhere between 9 to 15 point (depend on how you feel about the game he scored the first of many goal). I would personaly settle on an average of 13. Also analysing all Everton game, I realise Lukaku has a tendency of scoring late, sometime 1 or even 2 goal in the last few minute of an already decided game. So yeah, despite his insane number of goal, I don't really think he had as much impact as you might have thought on Everton campaign. He especially doesn't seem to score a lot against the big six, with the exception of City.

@Sunflash 24 goal for Lukaku against 57 goal for everton. Now, to analyse the point he gave Everton this season on his own, just to explain, I will only take game where his goal really made a difference on their own. For exemple, I won't count game where he scored the third goal in a 3-1 win. Those with a star could be argued with I guess.

1 point against City

He gave them this anywhere between 9 to 15 point (depend on how you feel about the game he scored the first of many goal). I would personaly settle on an average of 13. Also analysing all Everton game, I realise Lukaku has a tendency of scoring late, sometime 1 or even 2 goal in the last few minute of an already decided game. So yeah, despite his insane number of goal, I don't really think he had as much impact as you might have thought on Everton campaign. He especially doesn't seem to score a lot against the big six, with the exception of City.

@quikzyyy Oh... Might have been better to wait to make that analysis. XD

@Sunflash 24 goal for Lukaku against 57 goal for everton. Now, to analyse the point he gave Everton this season on his own, just to explain, I will only take game where his goal really made a difference on their own. For exemple, I won't count game where he scored the third goal in a 3-1 win. Those in strong text could be argued with I guess.

1 point against City

@quikzyyy Oh... Might have been better to wait to make that analysis. XD

1 point against City

@quikzyyy Oh... Might have been better to wait to make that analysis. XD A note though, you give them one point for salvaging a win while you should actually give him 2 because the difference between a draw and a win is two point. Also do you count the cup game or did I just managed to miss a lot of game in my analysis? XD

1 point against City

@quikzyyy Oh... Might have been better to wait to make that analysis. XD A note though, you give them one point or three point for salvaging a win while you should actually give him 2 because the difference between a draw and a win is two point. Also do you count the cup game or did I just managed to miss a lot of game in my analysis? XD

1 point against City

@quikzyyy Oh... Might have been better to wait to make that analysis. XD A note though, you give them one point or three point for salvaging a win while you should actually give him 2 because the difference between a draw and a win is two point.

1 point against City

@quikzyyy Oh... Might have been better to wait to make that analysis. XD A note though, you give them one point or three point for salvaging a win while you should actually give him 2 because the difference between a draw and a win is two point. Well, in my opinion, since his team would have still have had 1 point.

nandaYNWA 7 years ago
Liverpool, Australia 87 946

thanks for that quikzyyy :)

interesting point that ive heard many people say in the lukaku v alexis debate. lukaku is the more valuable one bc alexis is surrounded by better players. however, lukaku vanishes in the big games where he is marked and isolated.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@nandaYNWA Actually, now that you mention, one of the reason why Lukaku doesn't score a lot against big team might be because he is tightly marked by his opponent but this might also explain why his team-mate seem to score more goal in those game. He might create space for them when marked. :)

chelsea8 7 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

+1 quikzy very nice work!

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@quikzyyy Man, those stat are kind of bad for Arsenal, I mean, if they lose Sanchez this summer, they are basically gonna have to fight for an europa league spot if the rest of the team don't improve next season. :(

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Dammit, suppose an upvote is deserved for good data collection.

Emo's right though, if Arsenal lose Sanchez, they're screwed.

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Hazard this season would have been a deserved winner tho, I don't know his stats exactly. I don't think going to check the charts is the way to pick up the best player. I guess hazard has 13goals and 10 assists, more or less with Some PKs. But it's ridiculous not to witness his impact.
Each game I watched this season, 90% Hazard was Motm for me scoring or not.

As for the goal, How many goals were served on a plate for Lukaku ? Its hard to push a ball in the net but it's even harder to get a perfect cross, a pass between the lines, a 90% pass complention, a consistent vision during a season.

A winger that make 2 dribbles and serve the poacher on a plate for me has better credit than the poacher who's name is on the score sheet.
Zlatan interviewed by Henry mid season : Henry " be top scorer Ibra " Ibra " i ll do my best " than smiling to Pogba direction " But I depend on him " thats for me is a resume of legends knowing exactly each player role.

You got glory for pushing it, but you can only do it if the assister does magic, therefore judging by level dificulty. I give more credit to the action maker rather than the finisher.

And I still don't see Lukaku as a top 5 forward in the world nor a monster team material. Just like Benteke. They do not impact the build up that much and therefore they aren't impacting midlefield war that wins games nor possession. Their role is important tho.

Btw Steven Davis pleased me while watching Everton game, simple, accurate, smart, mature... everything i like in a youngster.

Aside from Kante, Hazard is the only PFA winner I would put. Kane Lukaku And co for me didnt influenced their team the way Hazard did, dont bring stats on it...

Another example off Football : Rudy Gobert the Jazz franchise player, he said " sometimes I do normal games and get good stats " " sometimes I feel I was awesome while not having a good stats "

Same for Football, this season, Hazard best performances for me wer sometimes in games he didn't score nor assist. But was by far best performer on the pitch.