Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Jose Mourinho - Documentary
awais007 11 years ago
Chelsea, Pakistan 178 922

Comments
Vendetta 11 years ago
Chelsea FC, Egypt 202 3025

But honestly, I don't see why he wouldn't be called the best manager at the moment. Sure Pep is great, but when Pep was given the job, he was already stocked with talented players either in their prime or rising in the ranks fast. Mourinho tends to buy players because he is usually with a big club who can buy big players, but even before with Porto he knew how to properly win with a team of youngsters who have not proven themselves outside of Portugal. Mourinho is truly The Special One, in my opinion.

awais007 11 years ago
Chelsea, Pakistan 178 922

sorry for re-posting but i didn't see it but now i will not able to remove it

Lodatz 11 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

@Vendetta: I'm going to have to disagree with you, with regards to Guardiola's 'easy ride' by taking over Barcelona. Time and again, in interview after interview, every member of that amazing team has said that Guardiola is who made them what they are.

It was Guardiola who made the bold decision to kick out Ronaldinho and Deco (and later Eto'o and Ibrahimovic) despite their superstar legendary status. It was also Guardiola who motivated Messi (who was quite close to a transfer to Scotland, of all places) by overturning the Barca president's decision to not let Messi attend the Olympics. It was Guardiola who took Messi aside (along with others), and got them to commit to discipline and diet, instead of the party atmosphere that the club had descended into.

It was Pep who persuaded Abidal that Barca were worth staying at, when he had previously been disgusted by the lack of team ethic. It was the regimented training exercises, the zero-tolerance attendance policy and the demand for excellence which began to bind the team together and build up their mental resilience.

It was Guardiola who decided to build the team around Messi, Xavi and Iniesta, catering to their calm, technical excellence rather than the gung-ho, swashbuckling style of the Rijkaard years, and it was Guardiola who brought back the now famous tiki-taka style of football that he learned from Johan Cruyff and the Dream Team. It was Guardiola who sat for hours and hours with Xavi and Iniesta, developing tactics and strategy, molding the team and the squad around their particular talents.

It was Pep who welded Pique and Puyol together, and it was Pep who brought back the practice of promoting from the academy and Barcelona B, and instilling in them this same brand of beautiful football which the world has (rightly) fallen in love with. It was Pep who taught Busquets to be the 'new Guardiola', it was Pep who had faith in Pedro and stuck with him, and it was Pep who bought Villa, Alves, Fabregas and Jordi Alba into the fold to compliment the squad.

It was Pep who created this magnificent team, and demanded that they realize their potential, playing the the most incredible, yet simple, manner of football.

Hehe, sorry man -- most of this isn't really aimed at you, and I know you were not saying Pep sucks. I just keep seeing, all over the internet, people bringing out the 'well Guardiola had such a great squad, he couldn't NOT succeed', when nothing could be further from the truth.

Make no mistake, Pep is something special. Sure, time will tell if he can manage to reproduce success at another club, with another team, but if there is one person who most deserves the credit for the 4 years of footballing brilliance we've witnessed at Barca, it's not Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol or even Messi.

All of them would tell you in an instant: it's Josep Guardiola.

Give credit where it's due, is all I'm saying.

Lodatz 11 years ago

oops. It was Villanova who brought Alba back. My bad. 

Vendetta 11 years ago

Sure he nurtured these people, but if I was a manager and I saw the partying/aging Ronaldinho and Deco and compare them to  Xavi and Ineista I would notice Xavi and Ineista can be something special. I would call it common sense to remove legends who are losing their touch because they're not part of a long time strategy. Eto'o was removed because he was part of the Ibra transfer (which did not pay off in my opinion). I myself believe Eto'o still had so much more to give, and I would have kept him. I'll give credit to him keeping Messi. That definitely paid off. Diets, curfues, etc are all part of what a manager needs to do. Mourinho has done that as well. Pique and Cesc always wanted to go back to Barcelona. As kids they knew they're team would be Barcelona. Not ManUtd or Arsenal. I honestly see no difference with the youth. The youth academy they have is still the same and as great before Pep came in. The rest of the players bought later (Villa and co.) but I can't help but notice those are either Spanish or proven in the La Liga. I personally call it smart to buy more La Liga/Spanish proven players instead of talented players unproven in La Liga. But players such as Villa were already being chased by other big clubs willing to pay him much more. Once again, I see it as common sense in buying a player as good as Villa and mold him into the team. Or else that would have been a waste. Pep is obviously a tactical genius, but even after selling legends and big players, he was stocked with talent either proven or rising through the ranks really fast (Busquets and Pedro). He could always rely on the youth academy for more talent too good for the reserves or youth now. All I'm saying is Mourinho proved himself with a team no one expected to win the CL, Europa, and Portuguese League in 2 years, I believe. He's proved himself with Chelsea. He proved himself with Inter. He may be sucking with Real Madrid, but last season he was also able to prove himself by winning the La Liga trophy. All I'm saying you can't give this man full credit for winning multiple trophies in 4 years with a team FILLED with youth talent and amazing talent before he was even hired. Molded into the team or not, he was filled with talent just waiting for their moment to prove themselves, and he made a good decision picking the players wanting to prove themselves (Busquets, Messi, Pedro, etc). Just remember he was a Barcelona B manager before Barcelona manager. He knew the youth at first hand. He had an advantage. All I'm asking is for him to prove himself in any big league outside of Spain and I can honestly call this man a better manager than Mourinho.

Lodatz 11 years ago

"All I'm saying you can't give this man full credit for winning multiple trophies in 4 years with a team FILLED with youth talent and amazing talent before he was even hired."

Can't you? Then why couldn't Frank Rijkaard win anything in the two years after 2006? It was the same squad, and even had Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Deco, too. 

This is why I say what I'm saying: it's not that anyone could have won with this team. Guardiola made the team, in his own image, and demanded they do things the way he wanted them to. That's why the team itself say, over and over, that Pep was the difference. Pep turned things around. Pep plugged the leaks in a sinking ship, brought new ideas and better management, and basically brought the youth-team philosophy back, because as you say, he'd been guiding Barca B to success also.

Winning 6 trophies in one season is not just good -- it's historic, and no-one will ever match it again.

I'm not slating Mourinho -- Jose is a fantastic manager, and well-deserving of our praise. I just take issue with this argument that Pep is simply average, when everything about the last 4 years of Barca's excellence has been thanks to him. Sure, we look back after the fact, and we can see how amazing this team is. 

No-one, however, was saying anything of the sort before Guardiola took over.

I, too, want to see what he can do outside of Spain; I just think it's a total disservice to Guardiola to suggest that it was 'easy' for him -- the reason he stepped down, in fact, was due to how much hard work it was. To praise Mourinho does not mean having to disparage Pep, in the same way as praising Messi doesn't mean we have to say Ronaldo is average.

That's all I'm really saying.

Vendetta 11 years ago

Well that's because Frank Rijkaard sucks as a manager and there were so many better options for Barcelona better managers :P. Pep by no means is average. Pep is almost over Mourinho in being a better manager. Obviously those 14 trophies were mostly because of Pep but like I said multiple times, this guy was on full advantage of this job aside from being a tactical genius. Already being the Barcelona B manager before Barcelona manager he knew the youth academy in and out. He was part of Johan Cryuff's team, so he knows how to do it like Johan. He was hired at a time where people like Messi, Busquets, Pedro, Pique, and Cesc(two of them know him from Barcelona B) were back into the team or rising fast through the ranks. Smart for having them. It's obviously thanks to him they are now part of the Barcelona team, but any manager would have noticed the talent those players possess. 6 trophies in one season is obviously not thanks to an advantage when hired, but you have got to notice 6 trophies or not, this man was in a club he knew inside an out and was filled with talent and depth. Compare what Mourinho has done in his first 2 years as manager in the big stage and the team he had, the money, and the challenges through the CL to what Pep had to go through in his first 2 years. By trophies, Pep obviously wins but in what was the most challenging yet successful way, obviously Mourinho wins. This is where he proved himself. People criticize Mourinho for spending instead of nurturing, but doing what he did with Porto in 2 years shows a manager who can adapt to anything. From youngsters (Porto) to near retirement players and lack of depth (Inter). Nurturing is important but I would rather have a manager who can adapt instead of nurture only. But I guess we can stop this debate now. Pep can finally prove himself now :).

Lodatz 11 years ago

"Well that's because Frank Rijkaard sucks as a manager and there were so many better options for Barcelona better managers :P"

Including Jose Mourinho, who desperately wanted the job, and who they turned down in favour of Pep... O:)

I'm not going to get into Mourinho bashing -- I've just been seeing so many posts (on various sites, not necessarily this one) saying that Pep did nothing special, or any average could have done what he did, etc etc, and felt the urge to speak out!

My final contribution is to echo what others have said: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17863555

Vendetta 11 years ago

I'm rather quite happy he actually was denied the Barcelona job. It really payed off at the end for Barcelona with Pep :). Plus, that makes him still pure for us Chelsea fans! Yeah, I kind of feel that if he was accepted to Barcelona and by luck faced Chelsea, his relationship with Chelsea would never be the same :/. I also heard he gave a full on tactical explanation with slideshows, graphs, and what he planned to do with Barcelona for 5+ years :o. He was devoted to it!

Vendetta 11 years ago

Actually... I would take Mourinho back even if a Chelsea legend had to be sold

Vendetta 11 years ago

Also, 13 Porto players were 26 and younger. So obviously most of the squad was young.

Vendetta 11 years ago

and inexperienced in the Champions League.

Lodatz 11 years ago

LOL.

And yeah, Mourinho did have all that prepared, in his presentation to Barcelona. They've said that they had no doubt he would bring them trophies -- but they wanted him to cool his jets with the media, and act more respectfully (as they saw it). 

Jose said it was his way or the highway, and they chose the highway.

And the rest, as they say, is history!

Vendetta 11 years ago

The way I see it, Jose without his arrogance is not the same. He kind of changed football media with his antics in the stadium and in the press. It adds that extra panache almost everyone loves about him.

Lodatz 11 years ago

I still crack up when thinking about this: 

Lodatz 11 years ago

The difference, though, between that Mourinho and the current one, is that this one was looking to prove himself to the world. The current one seems obsessed with shoving it to Barcelona, instead.

I'm not sure the man you want back at Stamford Bridge is still the same man who left you with so many fond memories...

Vendetta 11 years ago

I think it's the complete opposite. His season with Madrid here is possibly his worst. But doesn't it seem as if he is doing all of this intentionally? Benching Casillas, fights with Ramos, and more. Mourinho has never done that before with any of his clubs. It doesn't really seem like it's Barcelona. Other than that 5-0 thrashing, he got the last laughs in most of his El Clasico matches, if I am correct. Either way, I don't see a team changing his personality from the past. I still see him as the same Mourinho.