Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Jersey Numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11...
Tuanis 11 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

I was just randomly wondering as usuall, the meanings that jersey's numbers have in today's football world. People usually talk about needing a #9 refering to a solid striker or a #10 for a playmaker. 

I wanted your thoughts about how certain numbers are usually linked to a very specific position...

this is my veiw of the numbers and positions.

1 keeper -_-
2/3 RB/LB
4/5 mainly 5. central deffender
6 used to be defender but is  been commonly used by miedfielders.
7 winger for life
8 deffender miedfielder or plain miedfielder
9 probably the most common number for forwards 
10 playmakers
11 striker/winger
12 ive seen in many different teams this number is reserved for the fans as the 12 player.

**fact: Pelé made the #10 the most famous number now a days, he was the hipster who use it first and give it the significance it has today. (not the first one to use it obviously but the one who made it popular.) *a famous discussion was settled between Pelé and Maradona as to who was the best ever when Pelé asked Maradona why did he used to wear #10, Maradona didnt reply as he realized Pelé was the one who made it the all time famous #10...

Comments
tdot2barca 11 years ago
Assyriska FF, Brazil 35 956

8 can be any midfielder even attacking. Iniesta is #8

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I believe it was also Sir Bobby Charlton of England and Manchester United who always wore the No. 9 shirt. His proficiency in front of goal was what made the No. 9 so famous.

ChelseaRox10 11 years ago
Chelsea, England U19 142 979

1 gk
2/3/4 usually central defenders
5 either a central defender or a cdm
6 same as 5
7 winger
8 CAM
9 Striker
10 CM
11 Striker or winger

TheGame 11 years ago
Manchester United 104 1380

It's just a number....

ramaboy10 11 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

^ i agree

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@TheGame

It may be just a number, but that's not what it's about. It's about what the number represents.

Look at your own team for example. Manchester United #7 jersey. Worn by,

Eric Cantona

David Beckham

Cristiano Ronaldo

Don't tell me that "it's just a number". The Manchester United #7 jersey represents something, and it represents talent. Cantona, Becks, and Ronnie were all the star of the team when they wore this jersey, and you have to be of a certain caliber to be given the #7 at Old Trafford, because you have to live up to the reputation that jersey number will give you. You have to be at least good enough to show that the #7 Man United shirt is something special.

Again, Brazil #10. Worn by,

Pele

Zico

Socrates

Rivelino

Ronaldinho

Kaka

This is again, a representation. During the World Cup, when you are watching Brazil play, won't your eyes be on their #10? You see a #10 Brazil shirt, and you think, "Surely, this guy must be something special to wear that legendary shirt". And they are. Not anyone can wear the #10 Brazil shirt.

Oh, and this post was also directed at Arsene Wenger, who gave Dennis Bergkamp's #10 Arsenal jersey to William Gallas of all people. *facepalm*

TheGame 11 years ago

Valencia and Michael Owen also wore the #7 shirt for United, so that puts a dent in your "you have to be of a certain caliber" theory. The number doesn't make you a better player, but gives you a false sense of pride. If anything, not wearing the "famous" numbers would probably lower the pressure placed on players. Representing talent doesn't make you talented. Again, it's just a number.  

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@TheGame

Aren't you forgetting that Michael Owen once won the Ballon d'Or? He fully deserved the #7 shirt, even if he didn't live up to expectations at his old age. And it's not a retired number like Paolo Maldini's #3 AC Milan jersey, so I don't see why Valencia would be prohibited from wearing it. He's a class winger, and he's earned it in his right.

TheGame 11 years ago

What Owen did for Liverpool makes him deserving of the #7 shirt for United? That's besides the point. Numbers don't and shouldn't mean anything. A player should make his own legacy instead of trying to follow in the footsteps of another player. 

COYSPURS2008 11 years ago
76 540

gonna have to agree with Thegame on this one.. some of the best players ive ever seen have worn all sorts of numbers.. its just a number.