Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Importance of domestic cup competitions?
Ledley 4 years ago
Celtic, Australia 46 1310

Are they still relevant in 2020. Have they lost the glamour?

Comments
tuan_jinn 4 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

They do!

People follow their clubs, and often cheers on every win. Don't listen to anti fan or any of those disregarding certain cup because they can't win it.

Of course there are heavier, high prio trophies, and team has to set their priorities, and because of the differences in levels you might thing they careless. Similar to lower rank clubs during the leagues, earlier matches in CUPs are often boring.

Everything is subjective, If Liverpool lost to Chelsea in Semi-final of Carabao cup, well trust me it hurts them even higher than in EPL.

Barca is still winning their domestic cup and Real just couldn't, they just failed. They won lots of CL but they fall flat in domestic cup and La Liga against Barca. Because they careless? NO, they just couldn't beat Barca in La Liga and choke in one of two game in Copa Del Rey. (this is the same reason I never agree to say Real dominated Europe, they got owned in Spain, time and time again).

Ledley 4 years ago

@T.J agreed that Barca take the Copa Del Rey seriously and consistently.

What about say the importance in England of having both F.A Cup and League Cup ?

Question for anyone here

If you win the English League cup/Carabao cup... What are you the champions of ?

serans 4 years ago
Manchester United, Poland 3 203

I mean FA Cup seems ok, but i don't really see the reason in having Carabao Cup aswell.
But I don't mind it as long as my manager is making those game count by putting in youngsters etc.
I like Liverpool way of playing english cups.
Also it is always nice to watch underdogs (lets say league two teams), trying to win at Anfield.

Ledley 4 years ago

@T.J OHH looks like Barca got knocked out overnight! Atletic Club WOW take a bow son.

@Serans Say Liverpool won the Carabao, then you are the Champions of what league ? Trick question.

tuan_jinn 4 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Both Real and Barca got knocked out. It's good for the Cup, you could see Barca tried hard but failed.

Emobot7 4 years ago Edited
538 11426

Those competition, FA Cup, Copa Italia, Copa Del Rey and even the Coupe de France are all interesting and worthy competition but I will concede that people most propably focus more on the later part of those competition.

Anyway about Copa Del Rey, its really interesting to see Atletico Madrid, Real and Barca being out already. Valencia who won it last time is also out. The only team left all beat team that nobody expected to lose so whoever win it, its gonna be refreshing. A Real Sociedad vs Athletic Bilbao would be a solid final with both team current form.

Also, interesting fact once again about the Copa, last time Real Sociedad won it was in 1987, Athletic Bilbao last won it in 1984 and the other two never won it. This could be a first in history or at least in a 30 years, thats really impressive imho.

Oh and hey, another interesting fact about the Copa while I'm at it, the team who win the most in the competition history after Barca is Athletic Bilbao with 23 victory. They also have the second most appearance in the final with 36 of them.

You know guys, learning stuff like that make me feel like we sometime take other spanish teams like Athletic Bilbao for granted despite them having amazing history and stat.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Those competition, FA Cup, Copa Italia, Copa Del Rey and even the Coupe de France are all interesting and worthy competition but I will concede that people most propably focus more on the later part of those competition.

Anywaym about Copa Del Rey, its really interesting to see Atletico Madrid, Real and Barca being out already. Valencia who won it last time is also out. The only team left all beat team that nobody expected to lose so whoever win it, its gonna be refreshing. A Real Sociedad vs Athletic Bilbao would be a solid final with both team current form.

Also, interesting fact once again about the Copa, last time Real Sociedad won it was in 1987, Athletic Bilbao last won it in 1984 and the other two never won it. This could be a first in history or at least in a 30 years, thats really impressive imho.

Oh and hey, another interesting fact about the Copa while I'm at it, the team who win the most in the competition history after Barca is Athletic Bilbao with 23 victory. They also have the second most appearance in the final with 36 of them.

You know guys, learning stuff like that make me feel like we sometime take other spanish teams like Athletic Bilbao for granted despite them having amazing history and stat.

expertfootball11 4 years ago Edited
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

I have a feeling that over the past several years, fans of bigger clubs started to disregard it. Growing up, for almost everyone it was a requirement to have a successful season.

• History

I have a feeling that over the past several years, fans of bigger clubs started to disregarded it. Growing up, for almost everyone it was a requirement to have a succesful season.

I have a feeling that over the past several years, fans of bigger clubs started to disregard it. Growing up, for almost everyone it was a requirement to have a succesful season.

DarthFooty 4 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1094

Silverware is important to any team, so if they can manage it, they will all push for it. The tricky part is for the bigger clubs attacking on multiple fronts. I don't feel bad for them though because they have the financial ability to navigate better than the smaller clubs.

Don't blame a thin squad, blame the fact that you don't have a strong program developing to support your team!

SunFlash 4 years ago
USA 19 3260

For clubs that actually compete in Europe or in a top division domestic cups tend not to matter as much, since there are bigger aspirations. But for the smaller teams, the cups are everything. The fan reaction to a cup run is something unmatched by all else.

They're very much still relevant and important unless you're a supporter of a top 5 team in the country.

Emobot7 4 years ago
538 11426

@Sunflash It really depend, FA Cup would be a nice addition to a lot of the current top team. I feel it would be an huge boost to Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea and even Tottenham. Only team right now who might care less about it are City and Liverpool.

Ledley 4 years ago

Anyone think you should get a champions league qualifier spot if you win the F.A Cup

Pupper 4 years ago
Juventus 0 214

I don't think there are anyone who believes that.

quikzyyy 4 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

you get europa league for winning FA cup and that's perfectly fine imo.

Ledley 4 years ago

In exchange for fourth place ?

Emobot7 4 years ago Edited
538 11426

Anyone think you should get a champions league qualifier spot if you win the F.A Cup

I kinda agree with this personally. It would certainly make teams focus more on the competition and considring how unforgiving and tough knockout tournament can be, I feel it would be a just reward.

• History

I kinda agree with this personally. It would certainly make teams focus more on the competition and considring how unforgiving and tough knockout competition can be, I feel it would be a just reward.