Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

How to make this forum better
KingHenry 10 years ago Edited
Arsenal, France 44 1362

Let's talk a little seriously about the future of this forum. I commented in another thread about it but I feel like there's a lot more to be said, and maybe some other people can voice their opinions. If you don't care about the quality of this forum you probably won't read all this text. If you do I really hope you read it and you make a comment about what you think of all that.

First of all I want to say that here and reddit are the places I go to to talk about football. I like coming here because it feels more personnal. I've been on here for over a year now and I feel like I know the usernames and the people that are behind them quite well. And in the end I care about this forum and I'd like it to get better.

FIRST THING WE COULD WORK ON

We get great discussions going on from time to time. I don't have any issue with heated discussions, it even makes things more interesting sometimes. The issue I have is that sometimes the content is borderline idiotic. Some threads are just a meme dumpster where people throw pictures they found on troll football.

Let's take an example. This is about arsenal, I'm sorry, but it's one of the recent ones I remember :

This week end, arsenal got absolutely trashed by Chelsea. This is an important event in european football, so it's only fair that we have a thread about it. The issue is that the thread is titled Thoughts on the chelsea arsenal game, and the content is two reaction gifs. Following that, we get a bunch of pictures and stupid memes. NO TEXT. This is a forum for discussion and there were plenty of things people could have talked about. We could have talked tactics, about how our midfield got exposed super early, about how chamberlain and arteta are not good enough to start for a title challenger. We could have talked about chelsea and asked if their striker problem is even a problem. About if wenger was the right man for his job. We could have talked about many things but there were only jokes and memes. Actual discussion followed, and that was good. My question is, DO WE REALLY NEED THE MEME CRAP BEFORE STARTING A CONVERSATION ? The answer is no. In my opinion, memes and reaction gifs should be banned from this forum as they bring nothing to any thread. And that is true for the whole internet. If it were for me they would disapear from the universe.

Btw memes are the obvious thing to ban, but sometimes some people who will recognize themselves just say the most useless things...

SECOND THING WE CAN IMPROVE ON

This is a website where people supporting many teams gather and talk about football. It's a neutral place. While sometimes people can argue and trash talk rivals (because we all lose our cool), threads made for people to gather and hate one team should be deleted straight away. I'm thinking about that "THE REASON WHY PEOPE HATE BARCA" thread from two days ago. This was bound to become the disaster. No ganging up on one team just to trash talk. There are teams I can't stand. I can't stand chelsea, some of you may know that about me, but I don't create a thread titled "LET'S ALL GATHER AND TALK ABOUT HOW CHELSEA IS THE DEVIL". Because that doesn't create any sort of discussion, just angry people moaning and disagreeing with each other. There is no point.

My answer to that is to spot these things and delete them before they turn into a sh*t storm.

THIRD THING WE CAN IMPROVE ON

This can be somehow linked to my second thing, there are people on here who don't care for discussion. They are usually the less active members, who sometimes come up out of no where to say the most infuriating things. These people are trolls and the fact that they are still on the forum is bringing the whole thing down. When you argue about something, put time into your comment, wrote a nice bit of text about something, and are waiting for someone to do the same and answer to your comment, there are some people who turn up, and will say stuff like "lol your team is **** what you say is irrelevant". These people's only comments are made for the single purpose of pissing off people.

How to fix this ? It's easy, you delete their comments and if they keep posting that sh*t you ban them. The most obvious troll I can think of is this guy called manchesterutl with a "u mad bro" profile pic (do I even need to say more).

The sad thing is that often these comments get thumbs up so approval from the forum. I don't give a crap about thumbs up but it gives them the incentive to continue.

Alright I'm all done I think, I talk a lot about having better discussion. What I'm trying to do here is to find ways to make this place a better a more mature forum.

Please if you have things to add or complaints about the quality of the posts and ideas on how to improve we can discuss it here. About how to make these rules real, I don't know, the only thing I know is that Alex is a mod. I would really like to hear if mods have guidelines and what these guidelines are.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Let's talk a little seriously about the future of this forum. I commented in another thread about it but I feel like there's a lot more to be said, and maybe some other people can voice their opinions. If you don't care about the quality of this forum you probably won't read all this text. If you do I really hope you read it and you make a comment about what you think of all that.

First of all I want to say that here and reddit are the places I go to to talk about football. I like coming here because it feels more personnal. I've been on here for over a year now and I feel like I know the usernames and the people that are behind them quite well. And in the end I care about this forum and I'd like it to get better.

FIRST THING WE COULD WORK ON

We get great discussions going on from time to time. I don't have any issue with heated discussions, it even makes things more interesting sometimes. The issue I have is that sometimes the content is borderline idiotic. Some threads are just a meme dumpster where people throw pictures they found on troll football.

Let's take an example. This is about arsenal, I'm sorry, but it's one of the recent ones I remember :

This week end, arsenal got absolutely trashed by Chelsea. This is an important event in european football, so it's only fair that we have a thread about it. The issue is that the thread is titled Thoughts on the chelsea arsenal game, and the content is two reaction gifs. Following that, we get a bunch of pictures and stupid memes. NO TEXT. This is a forum for discussion and there were plenty of things people could have talked about. We could have talked tactics, about how our midfield got exposed super early, about how chamberlain and arteta are not good enough to start for a title challenger. We could have talked about chelsea and asked if their striker problem is even a problem. About if wenger was the right man for his job. We could have talked about many things but there were only jokes and memes. Actual discussion followed, and that was good. My question is, DO WE REALLY NEED THE MEME CRAP BEFORE STARTING A CONVERSATION ? The answer is no. In my opinion, memes and reaction gifs should be banned from this forum as they bring nothing to any thread. And that is true for the whole internet. If it were for me they would disapear from the universe.

Btw memes are the obvious thing to ban, but sometimes some people who will recognize themselves just say the most useless things...

SECOND THING WE CAN IMPROVE ON

This is a website where people supporting many teams gather and talk about football. It's a neutral place. While sometimes people can argue and trash talk rivals (because we all lose our cool), threads made for people to gather and hate one team should be deleted straight away. I'm thinking about that "THE REASON WHY PEOPE HATE BARCA" thread from two days ago. This was bound to become the disaster. No ganging up on one team just to trash talk. There are teams I can't stand. I can't stand chelsea, some of you may know that about me, but I don't create a thread titled "LET'S ALL GATHER AND TALK ABOUT HOW CHELSEA IS THE DEVIL". Because that doesn't create any sort of discussion, just angry people moaning and disagreeing with each other. There is no point.

My answer to that is to spot these things and delete them before they turn into a sh*t storm.

THIRD THING WE CAN IMPROVE ON

This can be somehow linked to my second thing, there are people on here who don't care for discussion. They are usually the less active members, who sometimes come up out of no where to say the most infuriating things. These people are trolls and the fact that they are still on the forum is bringing the whole thing down. When you argue about something, put time into your comment, wrote a nice bit of text about something, and are waiting for someone to do the same and answer to your comment, there are some people who turn up, and will say stuff like "lol your team is shit what you say is irrelevant". These people's only comments are made for the single purpose of pissing off people and this holds the whole forum down.

How to fix this ? It's easy, you delete their comments and if they keep posting that sh*t you ban them. The most obvious troll I can think of is this guy called manchesterutl with a "u mad bro" profile pic (do I even need to say more).

The sad thing is that often these comments get thumbs up so approval from the forum. I don't give a crap about thumbs up but it gives them the incentive to continue.

Alright I'm all done I think, I talk a lot about having better discussion. What I'm trying to do here is to find ways to make this place a better a more mature forum.

Please if you have things to add or complaints about the quality of the posts and ideas on how to improve we can discuss it here. About how to make these rules real, I don't know, the only thing I know is that Alex is a mod. I would really like to hear if mods have guidelines and what these guidelines are.

Comments
AlexBatak 10 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

Hi KH, I've read all your post and I agree with you 100%.

Here is FR community rules:

1. Racism
No racism! Don't make yourself look like an idiot.

2. Hate Speech and Verbal Attacks
Try to stay polite or at least control your anger. You can swear if you want to but don't use it to offend others. Better use your intelligence to prove your point. Respect other people.

3. Trolling
Comments like "Manchester United Rocks", "Chelsea are crap", "Barcelona RULES" are very boring and immature. It's better if you tell everyone WHY you think Chelsea is crap or why Barcelona 'RULES', because not everyone might think same as you. If you are trolling YOU WILL BE BANNED.

4. Spam
Don't even try. Everyone hates spam.

5. Highlights
Don't post highlights in here - they will be removed and you will be banned. You can post here youtube videos and pictures only.

Just follow these simple rules and we will all enjoy staying here more. Remember that everyone of us is part of this community, so we are all responsible for making it a place that we love.
________________________________________________\

From what I've seen from the Highlights and especially the Forum posts or comments, no one actually crossed the line to get banned. If you see anyone that abuses those rules above, you can just report it to FR, Me, or Other moderators and It will surely be dealt with in a minute. Thanks for your concerns about making the forum a better place.

man_utd 10 years ago
Manchester United, South Korea 91 1444

I want to see more bans from the mods on OBVIOUS trolls.

tiki_taka 10 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

@Alex : So hating on Barça without any argument is tolerated here ? I wonder where is the lines if Hate threads are tolerated.
He could have named it, ''Neymar dive'' even if there was contact. But no, since many agree that Barça should be hated.

AlexBatak 10 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

@Man_utd We don't ban someone from 1 trolling attempt, but surely we keep an eye on them and they eventually get banned.

@tiki_taka I'm against "Hate" by all means. but as you can read on (Rule #3) Everyone shared their opinion and tried to make a point. It's their opinion, they didn't say that Barcelona or any other teams are crap and left without an argument. in this case it's called "Freedom of speech" and not trolling. Everyone should respect other's opinion to have their opinion respected in return. Many people Hate Chelsea for example and I try to defend my team with an argument. But at the end of the day everyone have their own opinion and it's not necessary relevant. Love is blind so is loving football and loving your club, so of course we will be blind to see our club's negative side and be all defensive about it. Just like how Liverpool fans have to put up with all Suarez bad behaviors and defend him. That's normal.

tiki_taka 10 years ago Edited

Where di you see an argument ?
The reason why people HATE barça, and no need to say anything.... Is that an argument ?
I will remember the freedom of Speech/Hate argument. Many times, the freedom of Speech becomes Blasphemy when it turn to some subjects.

• History

Where di you see an argument ?
The reason why people HATE barça, and no need to say anything.... Is that an argument ?
I will remember the freedom of Hate argument.

AlexBatak 10 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

@tiki_taka The whole thread was talking about Neymar's constant diving and the bad side of El Clasico. That's an argument and everyone shared their own opinion, I don't see anything wrong with that. It's not that I agree with them or don't, it's just their opinion.

The title is the problem, not the content. But its okay, my posts on this thread were not respectful too but i regret those kinds of threads that makes the bad of us appears.

• History

The title is the problem, not the content.

AlexBatak 10 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

@tiki_taka I agree with you but the title didn't break the rules, it's a personal opinion and he has the right to do so. But as for me or you or many people, we wouldn't go there and type "Hate" in our post title. In the worst case for me it would be "Dislike" instead.

Here is a similar attempt to that post. The title was "100 reasons to hate Chelsea"
http://footyroom.com/forum/silly-football/100-reasons-to-hate-chelsea-55168

man_utd 10 years ago

No. But ongoing trolls like iraqi madridsta and such just don't add anything to the table. And they break the rules by simply saying "Barca sucks" etc...

Dynastian98 10 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Man_utd

Depends. No one really takes him seriously though. :P

man_utd 10 years ago

Haha. I guess.

KingHenry 10 years ago Edited
Arsenal, France 44 1362

Alex, in my opinion rules should be more strict on the forum. That thread about the clasico should have been deleted. There would have been another thread created for people to talk about it, with a more suited title. That thread about chelsea you talked about should have been deleted as well.

Unless using the word "hate" is used as humour in a way to create a debate, there shouldn't be threads like this. And I've been guilty of those things. About iraqi madridista, he is an okay member, he just goes out of line from time to time. And any member should be warned when being out of line. Any dumb comment on any thread that is judged to be plain provocation and bringing nothing to the conversation should be deleted. If not, people will respond to it because no one has perfect self control, and no one can ignore remarks like this all the time. I will lose my temper sometimes because of someone saying something useless. This forum doesn't need this.

As a regular member I know the community rules of FR, I was more wondering about if FR gives you guidelines about how to apply those rules as mods.

Thank you guys for the debate. Especially on this thread let's keep it civile and let's not get angry at each other or bring up old fights.

• History

Alex, in my opinion rules should be more strict on the forum. That thread about the clasico should have been deleted. There would have been another thread created for people to talk about it, with a more suited title. That thread about chelsea you talked about should have been deleted as well.

Unless using the word "hate" is used as humour in a way to create a debate, there shouldn't be threads like this. And I've been guilty of those things. About iraqi madridista, he is an okay member, he just goes out of line from time to time. And any member should be warned when being out of line. Any dumb comment on any thread that is judged to be plain provocation and bringing nothing to the conversation should be deleted. If not, people will respond to it because no one has perfect self control, and no one can ignore remarks like this all the time. I will lose my temper sometimes because of someone saying something useless. This forum doesn't need this.

As a regular member I know the community rules of FR, I was more wondering about if FR gives you guidelines about how to apply those rules as mods.

Thank you guys for the debate. Especially on this thread let's keep it civile and let's not get angry at each other or bring up old fights.

Tuanis 10 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

sorry because of the hardly readable picture but I tool like 30 minutes to write a comment then sent it and something went wrong so I lost what I wrote, then I tried it again but it crashed once more but this time I took a screenshot because I really wanted to add my two cents into this thread.

@Dynast He has been nice lately, in Clasico times, passion won over reason even for the fans...

@Alex That was a funny thread, and was popular because people laughed. Anyway i founded it not fair at all, considering the performence of Barça and the quality of the game. Many good things could have been said instead of that we got that thread showing Neymar ''exageration'' (there was a little contact).
Considering Real Madrid got a penalty instead of a free-kick, and many calls in their favour this year. I found it unfair to make Barça looks like each time helped by refs when everybody simply ignore the calls against us.
Against City, same thing happened where we deserved to win in both legs.
Anyway no problem mate.

• History

^ He has been nice lately, in Clasico times, passion won over reason even for the fans...

@Alex That was a funny thread, and was popular because people laughed. Anyway i founded it not fair at all, considering the performence of Barça and the quality of the game. Many good things could have been said instead of that we got that thread showing Neymar ''exageration'' (there was a little contact).
Considering Real Madrid got a penalty instead of a free-kick, and many calls in their favour this year. I found it unfair to make Barça looks like each time helped by refs when everybody simply ignore the calls against us.
Against City, same thing happened where we deserved to win in both legs.
Anyway no problem mate.

KingHenry 10 years ago
Arsenal, France 44 1362

thanks tuanis, I actually didn't know you were a mod.

1. About the memes, some people like them, I don't. I find them idiotic. I don't mind people having a laugh with memes, but what I think is detrimental is people bringing up memes in the middle of a serious discussion on the forum or as something to start a discussion. Memes don't do that. One solution would be allowing memes in the "Silly Football" part of the forum only. It's all good sharing something funny but when you are having a serious and interesting debate, memes almost all the time ruin it. The only thing to do is to ignore them but not everyone does that.

2. I said this already above, but if you would have deleted that clasico thread, someone else would have made another thread about the clasico that didn't start that badly. I understand very well what you're saying about freedom of speech, but maybe if a mod would leave a warning comment in a thread going in the wrong direction, and threatening to close it, it would help to keep things on track. Maybe you already do that, and I don't pay close attention.

3. I actually have no idea how to report someone. I wouldn't start a thread only to report someone because that would bring nothing to the forum.
Tuanis 10 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

In conclusion, anything that any user finds offensive or that simply thinks should be removed/banned you can always contact a mod trough wall message in which case I or any other mod would explain why it shouldn't or why it would be taken care of. Idk if Im making myself clear but we just need some clear examples of all of those things you talk about shouldn't be seen here, my point of view as the one of other mods is not the same so if a regular user come to us saying something should be f.e. removed, because of different reasons it would be easier for us to make a decision. We do everything we think is right according to the rules but sometimes we may see things differently and may not seem to us as offensive as for some other users.

Ive tried to promote user-mods communication to ensure that everyone enjoys this place. We dont get as many reports or complains as we should considering how much complaining there is around here :)

tuan_jinn 10 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Agree, I have no problem if people put on good debates, heated debates or sarcasm remarks, it's part of the discussion. But definitely not constant trolling, a$shole remarks or insulting each other. Mod should take an eye on them, give warning before ban them for period of times.

I like this site and this forum because there are real football talk in it.

I am however against the idea of banning meme or gif, MEME & GIF are great, people need good laugh from time to time. reading is tired sometimes and picture and meme are great ways of expression, even it's mostly sarcasm. Like I said: it's ok as it's part of life too.

• History

Agree, I have no problem if people put on good debates, heated debates or sarcasm remarks, it's part of the discussion. But definitely not constant trolling, a$shole remarks or insulting each other. Mod should take an eye on them, give warning before ban them for period of times.

I like this site and this forum because there are real football talk in it.

I am however against the idea of banning meme, MEME are great, people need good laugh from time to time. reading is tired sometimes and picture and meme are great ways of expression, even it's mostly sarcasm. Like I said: it's ok as it's part of life too.

expertfootball11 10 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

GIFS pictures are fun to chill a bit without disrespecting anyone. Don't remove them.

Wolfie 10 years ago Edited
Inter, Germany 94 1844

Yes indeed KH. There is a slight issue of immaturity and disrespect. Sometimes you give people the benefit of the doubt, but when it's the same wise crack being brought up, you start to see through their hidden agenda.
I can understand when someone flies of the handle and says something mean in the heat of a discussion. We've all been there. Frustration is a universal quality. Unless you are a Tibetan monk who's been meditating in the mountains since you were a child, you'll get pissed off from time to time.
Sometimes seeing someone get angry and want to get his point across can be refreshing. It shows that they are passionate about the game. Another thing is to always say something antagonizing crap just to get a reaction.
That's something that just irks me to no end.I'm sure everyone here loves their club. It's very important to them. Criticism towards it can be hard to take.No club is perfect, so criticism can be a constructive and healthy topic if it's done right. It's great to see things from neutrals perspective also.
As for trolls, I'm sure the majority of the people here have good intentions. After all, were are all from the 4 corners of the globe. All with different mentalities, age, race and religion. One thing can be offensive to one guy and another thing to someone else and so on. There are some things that are said that are universally offensive, so it doesn't matter where you are from, you need to use common sense. A couple of users border on this. Sometimes they comment like a normal person and sometimes they just follow others around to try and irritate. You know who they are, I don't even need to mention any names.
Mods, I know your job is voluntary. You nominated yourself to take on this job. FR appointed you to uphold the standards. This is a Football forum. All football related topics should be up for discussion as long as they are not obviously trying to offend. The job of mods is to enforce the rules and guidelines. It's not the job of a mod to pick and chose what subject suits him best. It's not the job of a mod to sensor opinions that he does not agree with. Finally, mods should be impartial and not side with users they get on better with than others. This only creates tension.
I usually don't hold grudges. I'm not petty. If a user once said something that annoyed me but doesn't do it all the time, i'll let it go. But if someone keeps trying to piss me off intentionally I'll really let them have it. As I said before, I'm not a monk. There's only so much bullshit I can take from anyone.
We all need a mutual respect. We all need to be a little more tactful. A few harmless jokes all in good taste never harmed anybody. I'm sure we don't want this forum to turn into a militant place with no place for humour. From time to time, we all just need to take a step back and have a good laugh, show respect and continue to have healthy discussions about the beautiful game. Off topics are great too from time to time. Great opportunity to see the other dimensions of peoples character.

• History

Yes indeed KH. There is a slight issue of immaturity and disrespect. Sometimes you give people the benefit of the doubt, but when it's the same wise crack being brought up, you start to see through their hidden agenda.
I can understand when someone flies of the handle and says something mean in the heat of a discussion. We've all been there. Frustration is a universal quality. Unless you are a Tibetan monk who's been meditating in the mountains since you were a child, you'll get pissed off from time to time.

Sometimes seeing someone get angry and want to get his point across can be refreshing. It shows that they

are passionate about the game. Another thing is to always say something antagonizing crap just to get a reaction.
That's something that just irks me to no end.
I'm sure everyone here loves their club. It's very important to them. Criticism towards it can be hard to take.

No club is perfect, so criticism can be a constructive and healthy topic if it's done right. It's great to see things from
neutrals perspective also.
As for trolls, I'm sure the majority of the people here have good intention's. After all, were are all from the 4 corners of the globe. All with different mentalities, age, race and religion. One thing can be offensive to one guy and another thing to someone else and so on. There are some things that are said that are universally offensive, so it doesn't matter where you are from, you need to use common sense. A couple of users border on this. Sometimes they comment like a normal person and sometimes they just follow others around to try and irritate. You know who they are, I don't even need to mention any names.
Mods, I know your job is voluntary. You nominated yourself to take on this job. FR appointed you to uphold the standards. This is a Football forum. All football related topics should be up for discussion as long as they are not obviously trying to offend. The job of mods is to enforce the rules and guidelines. It's not the job of a mod to pick and chose what subject suits him best. It's not the job of a mod to sensor opinions that he does not agree with. Finally, mods should be impartial and not side with users they get on better with than others. This only creates tension.
I usually don't hold grudges. I'm not petty. If a user once said something that annoyed me but doesn't do it all the time, i'll let it go. But if someone keeps trying to piss me off intentionally I'll really let them have it. As I said before, I'm not a monk. There's only so much bullshit I can take from anyone.

We all need a mutual respect. We all need to be a little more tactful. A few harmless jokes all in good taste never harmed anybody. I'm sure we don't want this forum to turn into a militant place with no place for humour. From time to time, we all just need to take a step back and have a good laugh, show respect and continue to have healthy discussions about the beautiful game. Off topics are great too from time to time. Great opportunity to see the other dimensions of peoples character.

Sometimes seeing someone get angry and want to get his point across can be refreshing. It shows that they are passionate about the game. Another thing is to always say something antagonizing crap just to get a reaction.
That's something that just irks me to no end.I'm sure everyone here loves their club. It's very important to them. Criticism towards it can be hard to take.No club is perfect, so criticism can be a constructive and healthy topic if it's done right. It's great to see things from
As for trolls, I'm sure the majority of the people here have good intention's. After all, were are all from the 4 corners of the globe. All with different mentalities, age, race and religion. One thing can be offensive to one guy and another thing to someone else and so on. There are some things that are said that are universally offensive, so it doesn't matter where you are from, you need to use common sense. A couple of users border on this. Sometimes they comment like a normal person and sometimes they just follow others around to try and irritate. You know who they are, I don't even need to mention any names.

That's something that just irks me to no end.I'm sure everyone here loves their club. It's very important to them. Criticism towards it can be hard to take.No club is perfect, so criticism can be a constructive and healthy topic if it's done right. It's great to see things from

As for trolls, I'm sure the majority of the people here have good intentions. After all, were are all from the 4 corners of the globe. All with different mentalities, age, race and religion. One thing can be offensive to one guy and another thing to someone else and so on. There are some things that are said that are universally offensive, so it doesn't matter where you are from, you need to use common sense. A couple of users border on this. Sometimes they comment like a normal person and sometimes they just follow others around to try and irritate. You know who they are, I don't even need to mention any names.

Discussion Closed