Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

How to make this forum better
KingHenry 10 years ago Edited
Arsenal, France 44 1362

Let's talk a little seriously about the future of this forum. I commented in another thread about it but I feel like there's a lot more to be said, and maybe some other people can voice their opinions. If you don't care about the quality of this forum you probably won't read all this text. If you do I really hope you read it and you make a comment about what you think of all that.

First of all I want to say that here and reddit are the places I go to to talk about football. I like coming here because it feels more personnal. I've been on here for over a year now and I feel like I know the usernames and the people that are behind them quite well. And in the end I care about this forum and I'd like it to get better.

FIRST THING WE COULD WORK ON

We get great discussions going on from time to time. I don't have any issue with heated discussions, it even makes things more interesting sometimes. The issue I have is that sometimes the content is borderline idiotic. Some threads are just a meme dumpster where people throw pictures they found on troll football.

Let's take an example. This is about arsenal, I'm sorry, but it's one of the recent ones I remember :

This week end, arsenal got absolutely trashed by Chelsea. This is an important event in european football, so it's only fair that we have a thread about it. The issue is that the thread is titled Thoughts on the chelsea arsenal game, and the content is two reaction gifs. Following that, we get a bunch of pictures and stupid memes. NO TEXT. This is a forum for discussion and there were plenty of things people could have talked about. We could have talked tactics, about how our midfield got exposed super early, about how chamberlain and arteta are not good enough to start for a title challenger. We could have talked about chelsea and asked if their striker problem is even a problem. About if wenger was the right man for his job. We could have talked about many things but there were only jokes and memes. Actual discussion followed, and that was good. My question is, DO WE REALLY NEED THE MEME CRAP BEFORE STARTING A CONVERSATION ? The answer is no. In my opinion, memes and reaction gifs should be banned from this forum as they bring nothing to any thread. And that is true for the whole internet. If it were for me they would disapear from the universe.

Btw memes are the obvious thing to ban, but sometimes some people who will recognize themselves just say the most useless things...

SECOND THING WE CAN IMPROVE ON

This is a website where people supporting many teams gather and talk about football. It's a neutral place. While sometimes people can argue and trash talk rivals (because we all lose our cool), threads made for people to gather and hate one team should be deleted straight away. I'm thinking about that "THE REASON WHY PEOPE HATE BARCA" thread from two days ago. This was bound to become the disaster. No ganging up on one team just to trash talk. There are teams I can't stand. I can't stand chelsea, some of you may know that about me, but I don't create a thread titled "LET'S ALL GATHER AND TALK ABOUT HOW CHELSEA IS THE DEVIL". Because that doesn't create any sort of discussion, just angry people moaning and disagreeing with each other. There is no point.

My answer to that is to spot these things and delete them before they turn into a sh*t storm.

THIRD THING WE CAN IMPROVE ON

This can be somehow linked to my second thing, there are people on here who don't care for discussion. They are usually the less active members, who sometimes come up out of no where to say the most infuriating things. These people are trolls and the fact that they are still on the forum is bringing the whole thing down. When you argue about something, put time into your comment, wrote a nice bit of text about something, and are waiting for someone to do the same and answer to your comment, there are some people who turn up, and will say stuff like "lol your team is **** what you say is irrelevant". These people's only comments are made for the single purpose of pissing off people.

How to fix this ? It's easy, you delete their comments and if they keep posting that sh*t you ban them. The most obvious troll I can think of is this guy called manchesterutl with a "u mad bro" profile pic (do I even need to say more).

The sad thing is that often these comments get thumbs up so approval from the forum. I don't give a crap about thumbs up but it gives them the incentive to continue.

Alright I'm all done I think, I talk a lot about having better discussion. What I'm trying to do here is to find ways to make this place a better a more mature forum.

Please if you have things to add or complaints about the quality of the posts and ideas on how to improve we can discuss it here. About how to make these rules real, I don't know, the only thing I know is that Alex is a mod. I would really like to hear if mods have guidelines and what these guidelines are.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Let's talk a little seriously about the future of this forum. I commented in another thread about it but I feel like there's a lot more to be said, and maybe some other people can voice their opinions. If you don't care about the quality of this forum you probably won't read all this text. If you do I really hope you read it and you make a comment about what you think of all that.

First of all I want to say that here and reddit are the places I go to to talk about football. I like coming here because it feels more personnal. I've been on here for over a year now and I feel like I know the usernames and the people that are behind them quite well. And in the end I care about this forum and I'd like it to get better.

FIRST THING WE COULD WORK ON

We get great discussions going on from time to time. I don't have any issue with heated discussions, it even makes things more interesting sometimes. The issue I have is that sometimes the content is borderline idiotic. Some threads are just a meme dumpster where people throw pictures they found on troll football.

Let's take an example. This is about arsenal, I'm sorry, but it's one of the recent ones I remember :

This week end, arsenal got absolutely trashed by Chelsea. This is an important event in european football, so it's only fair that we have a thread about it. The issue is that the thread is titled Thoughts on the chelsea arsenal game, and the content is two reaction gifs. Following that, we get a bunch of pictures and stupid memes. NO TEXT. This is a forum for discussion and there were plenty of things people could have talked about. We could have talked tactics, about how our midfield got exposed super early, about how chamberlain and arteta are not good enough to start for a title challenger. We could have talked about chelsea and asked if their striker problem is even a problem. About if wenger was the right man for his job. We could have talked about many things but there were only jokes and memes. Actual discussion followed, and that was good. My question is, DO WE REALLY NEED THE MEME CRAP BEFORE STARTING A CONVERSATION ? The answer is no. In my opinion, memes and reaction gifs should be banned from this forum as they bring nothing to any thread. And that is true for the whole internet. If it were for me they would disapear from the universe.

Btw memes are the obvious thing to ban, but sometimes some people who will recognize themselves just say the most useless things...

SECOND THING WE CAN IMPROVE ON

This is a website where people supporting many teams gather and talk about football. It's a neutral place. While sometimes people can argue and trash talk rivals (because we all lose our cool), threads made for people to gather and hate one team should be deleted straight away. I'm thinking about that "THE REASON WHY PEOPE HATE BARCA" thread from two days ago. This was bound to become the disaster. No ganging up on one team just to trash talk. There are teams I can't stand. I can't stand chelsea, some of you may know that about me, but I don't create a thread titled "LET'S ALL GATHER AND TALK ABOUT HOW CHELSEA IS THE DEVIL". Because that doesn't create any sort of discussion, just angry people moaning and disagreeing with each other. There is no point.

My answer to that is to spot these things and delete them before they turn into a sh*t storm.

THIRD THING WE CAN IMPROVE ON

This can be somehow linked to my second thing, there are people on here who don't care for discussion. They are usually the less active members, who sometimes come up out of no where to say the most infuriating things. These people are trolls and the fact that they are still on the forum is bringing the whole thing down. When you argue about something, put time into your comment, wrote a nice bit of text about something, and are waiting for someone to do the same and answer to your comment, there are some people who turn up, and will say stuff like "lol your team is shit what you say is irrelevant". These people's only comments are made for the single purpose of pissing off people and this holds the whole forum down.

How to fix this ? It's easy, you delete their comments and if they keep posting that sh*t you ban them. The most obvious troll I can think of is this guy called manchesterutl with a "u mad bro" profile pic (do I even need to say more).

The sad thing is that often these comments get thumbs up so approval from the forum. I don't give a crap about thumbs up but it gives them the incentive to continue.

Alright I'm all done I think, I talk a lot about having better discussion. What I'm trying to do here is to find ways to make this place a better a more mature forum.

Please if you have things to add or complaints about the quality of the posts and ideas on how to improve we can discuss it here. About how to make these rules real, I don't know, the only thing I know is that Alex is a mod. I would really like to hear if mods have guidelines and what these guidelines are.

Comments
shpalman 10 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

banning memes and words? censorship never brought anything good, it's the people that need to change attitude.

for example, try to debate with Tiki-taka, have a different/opposite opinion? get ready to be called: retard, idiot, ignorant, or random insult to your team/league/nationality.

also, anything which is not "mainstream" opinion, gets insulted.

like i said, it's people, ALL the people.
i would suggest "warnings". when a person passes the line, then a mod can step in the discussion and "warn" him publicly. if the person keeps passing the line, then you give him 3 days MUTE, meaning he can visit FR, but can't comment on forums/highlights.

any personal insults like "retard" is a bannable offence like disrespecting religion or people sexuality. should be sanctioned too, with 3 days MUTE.

start working on people, then you get a better forum.

tiki_taka 10 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

@shpalmann You insulted Dynast and King Henry, and now its me the problem...
I think everyone should respect others view, but you just have buthurt kid view, always biased, you never try to control your Hate and be objective.
You dont accept remarks and go on personal attacks, then you come here and have a victim atitude.
I think you are the one i like less here, from the first time we argued i saw your frustration about your team, your HATE of Barça and your subjective argumentation.
You may dont like half of the forum, since each time you find a way to get into a silly conversation. I dont like reality twisters.
But there is a place for both of us, im not asking mods to ban you, anyway you come here from time to time, make a warm up and disappear exactly like a troll.

For me, you live actually in your dreams and you still have 90s facts saying Calcio is the most dificult League, and arguing about it.

I prefer a Wolfie personnality for example, who is direct but often spot on and act objective, and i feel he seems to search reality, you shpalman you seem to live in a dream.

Im starting to know many of you, everyone has his positives and negatives, and you cant please everybody unless you are hypocrite, i try to be the most real possible, i let my joy and anger appears because at the end, we come here to share points and discuss about our mutual passion.

But i hate reality twisters and silliness in argumentation, at the end of an argumentation with Shpalman, i wonder if he really think what he is saying...

I think its good everyone is talking for himself and there is no groups in this community, the ones i dont agree with them today could be the ones that i agree with them tomorrow.
Sometimes you may agree, and sometimes not those who always agree with each other, one of them is just never thinking, so its important to agree with an idea not with a user to reach obectivity rather than popularity.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@shpalmann You insulted Dynast and King Henry, and now its me the problem...
I think everyone should respect others view, but you just have buthurt kid view, always biased, you never try to control your Hate and be objective.
You dont accept remarks and go on personal attacks, then you come here and have a victim atitude.
I think you are the one i like less here, from the first time we argued i saw your frustration about your team, your HATE of Barça and your subjective argumentation.
You may dont like half of the forum, since each time you find a way to get into a silly conversation. I dont like reality twisters.
But there is a place for both of us, im not asking mods to ban you, anyway you come here from time to time, make a warm up and disappear exactly like a troll.

For me, you live actually in your dreams and you still have 90s facts saying Calcio is the most dificult League, and arguing about it.

I prefer a Wolfie personnality for example, who is direct but often spot on and act objective, and i feel he seems to search reality, you shpalman you seem to live in a dream.

Im starting to know many of you, everyone has his positives and negatives, and you cant please everybody because only hypocrites succeed to do this, i try to be the most real possible, i let my joy or anger appears because at the end, we come here to share points and discuss about our mutual passion.

But i hate reality twisters and silliness in argumentation, at the end of an argumentation with Shpalman, i wonder if he really think what he is saying...

I think its good everyone is talking for himself and there is no groups in this community, the ones i dont agree with them today could be the ones that i agree with them tomorrow.
Sometimes you may agree, and sometimes not those who always agree with each other, one of them is just never thinking, so its important to agree with an idea not with a user to reach obectivity rather than popularity.

shpalman 10 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

OFF-TOPIC:
my posts are there for everyone to read, i called 2 times people ignorant, that was Dynastian and you, after i got insulted in the ACM thread (http://footyroom.com/forum/football-talk/ac-milan-on-sale-56577)
i actually think that Dynastian is a nice guy, he just got carried by you in that situation.

i don't come often in the forums because it's rather difficult to talk about football with someone who started to watch it only after the year 2000. it's not just knowledge, it's also attitude, sensibility.
one can't say something which goes a bit past the mainstream "black or white" thinking, that he immediatly get called names.

our first argument:
http://footyroom.com/forum/football-talk/the-king-unto-his-throne-55177/2/

your first reaction was not try to understand, but just tease: "better not answer you mate". you do realize that what you wrote basically means "dude you're an idiot", right?

about people not letting go:
http://footyroom.com/forum/football-talk/liga-and-premier-league-55280/1/

see tiki-taka, people are not stupid like you think, you accuse me of behaving like a troll, but who can actually read and comprehend i'm sure don't share the same opinion of yours.

i called you out because i think that there are some people (you, basically just you) that, just because they are really active and create "forum content", feel automatically entitled to act above the line being disrespectful at the 1st chance.

i'm not suggesting the mods to ban you or you to change place, i'm just telling you that you may change your attitude with people who don't share your same opinions.

also, your contribution to this thread? overdramatizing and manipulate the word HATE just because was related to your beloved Barca (but hey, related to Chelsea it's ok), and then a big post against me. you wrote nothing about what can make this forum better other than stuff that personally affected you and yourself only. great spirit.

anyway, this is no place for our personal debate. i could ignore your post, but that'd mean that what you wrote about me would get credibility. i'm sorry for this off topic, but i can't let that happen.

ON-TOPIC:
as a remark, when there will be respect towards eachother as users, not bashing someone just because he said something "different", then this will be a better place. also, when you see someone writing something exotic, try to ask WHY he thinks that way, instead of: "lol dude go watching that sh*tty league you support" and stuff like that.

Flaminho 10 years ago
Arsenal 7 58

Could someone please ban that woolwitch guy....He is really killing the forum's quality!

Discussion Closed