Goalkeepers: ter Stegen, Neuer, Leno, Trapp
Centrebacks: Hummels, Boateng, Sule, Rudiger, Tah, Ginter
Fullbacks: Kimmich, Hector, Plattenhardt
Midfielders: Kroos, Ozil, Goretzka, Gundogan, Khedira, Rudy
Wingers: Brandt, Draxler, Reus, Sane
Forwards: Gomez, Muller, Petersen, Werner
enter image description here

Most likely starting lineup ^^

Notable exclusions: Fahrmann/Horn/Ulreich, Phillip Max/Weiser/Klostermann, Weigl/Can, Kruse/Volland/Stindl/Uth/Wagner/Gnabry/Phillip
Most likely to drop out: Trapp, Ginter/Tah, Brandt, Petersen

So, here are key points for discussion:

• generally a lot of Germans now prefer MaTS over Neuer for the WC
  • Sule may have endangered Boateng's place, but knowing Low, I doubt he would let Sule start
  • Goretzka might get plenty of playtime, can see him rotating with Khedira
  • Reus's first tournament in years...
  • Sane could be option on right when Muller doesn't play
  • Muller is playing in his usual raumdeuter role btw
  • Germans are mad for some exclusions, and inclusions: Trapp and Leno are considered overrated, there is no replacement for Kimmich (except maybe Rudiger or Ginter, two CBs), Gomez is called over bunch of, honestly, better players - Uth, Volland and Wagner had better seasons than him

How far will they go?

Credits to @Golazo on idea.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Goalkeepers: ter Stegen, Neuer, Leno, Trapp
Centrebacks: Hummels, Boateng, Sule, Rudiger, Tah, Ginter
Fullbacks: Kimmich, Hector, Plattenhardt
Midfielders: Kroos, Ozil, Goretzka, Gundogan, Khedira, Rudy
Wingers: Brandt, Draxler, Reus, Sane
Forwards: Gomez, Muller, Petersen, Werner

Most likely starting lineup ^^

Notable exclusions: Fahrmann/Horn, Phillip Max/Weiser/Klostermann, Weigl/Can, Kruse/Volland/Stindl/Uth/Wagner/Gnabry/Phillip
Most likely to drop out: Trapp, Ginter/Tah, Brandt, Petersen

So, here are key points for discussion:

• generally a lot of Germans now prefer MaTS over Neuer for the WC
  • Sule may have endangered Boateng's place, but knowing Low, I doubt he would let Sule start
  • Goretzka might get plenty of playtime, can see him rotating with Khedira
  • Reus's first tournament in years...
  • Sane could be option on right when Muller doesn't play
  • Muller is playing in his usual raumdeuter role btw
  • Germans are mad for some exclusions, and inclusions: Trapp and Leno are considered overrated, there is no replacement for Kimmich (except maybe Rudiger or Ginter, two CBs), Gomez is called over bunch of, honestly, better players - Uth, Volland and Wagner had better seasons than him

How far will they go?

Credits to @Golazo on idea.

Comments
Croatian 6 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

This is 2014 squad, key players are mostly the same: Neuer, Khedira, Hummels, Ozil, Muller, Kroos, Boateng... that was pretty young team in general, and they were able to win WC. Schweinsteiger, Howedes, Klose and Lahm are not here anymore, but I'd say Kimmich and Werner replaced them pretty well.

Dynastian98 6 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I would be delirious with joy if Germany were able to win another World Cup, but I think it's going to be harder for them this time around. Personally, I found their 2010 squad superior to the current one. What is notable is a distinct lack of quality up front. I've seen little of Timo Werner, and although he seems good we don't know how well he will perform for Die Mannschaft in the big games. Klose was a very reliable big-game performer, and could live off scraps and still score buckets of goals. Moreover, Neuer's absence concerns me...

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

I think that the fighting spirit and ball transition work ethics of Schweinsteiger will be missed.
A very strong squad overall and it's very obvious seeing that Can can't make the team, it will be interesting to see Sane fitting in the squad because I see him capable of playing on both wings, it's going to be interesting to see the impact that Draxler and Reus can make, I can even see Goretzka stepping in there in case it's needed since he is very versatile.

Lodatz 6 years ago Edited
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

@Dynast:

Personally, I found their 2010 squad superior to the current one.

This. It's not that Germany aren't good, it's that their players are not dominating Europe like they did years ago. I would put money on France or Spain beating them, although I think they're too disciplined to lose to Brazil.

Could be wrong, though.

• History

@Dynast:

Personally, I found their 2010 squad superior to the current one.

This. It's not that Germany aren't good, it's that their players are not dominating Europe like they did 4 years ago. I would put money on France or Spain beating them, although I think they're too disciplined to lose to Brazil.

Could be wrong, though.

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

MULLER MULLER MULLER

I don't know why I love that guy so much.

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

the selection looks okay apart from mario gomez lol. expecting a lot from muller and werner partnership, both are box finisher but werner has the pace more. I think the formation won't reflect the true position of muller and werner.

Croatian 6 years ago Edited

Werner has specifically few cons and pros. Pros:

• he opens up space for Muller
  • he has quick and well-timed runs
  • most defenders wouldn't be able to catch up with him during counter attack
  • he can carry the ball well
  • he is good finisher

Cons:

• inexperience
  • first time as a starter in big tournament
  • he didn't have really good year
  • we don't know is he big match player

Overall, I think he'll do fine but luckily he isn't only goalscorer in Germany, and he has Ozil behind him.

But Wagner should have been called. Completely opposite player of Werner, and that's where the threat would be. He scored ridiculously much goals for Bayern knowing how much he plays.

• History

Werner has specifically few cons and pros. Cons:

• he opens up space for Muller
  • he has quick and well-timed runs
  • most defenders wouldn't be able to catch up with him during counter attack
  • he can carry the ball well
  • he is good finisher

Cons:

• inexperience
  • first time as a starter in big tournament
  • he didn't have really good year
  • we don't know is he big match player

Overall, I think he'll do fine but luckily he isn't only goalscorer in Germany, and he has Ozil behind him.

But Wagner should have been called. Completely opposite player of Werner, and that's where the threat would be. He scored ridiculously much goals for Bayern knowing how much he plays.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Sunflash I'm pretty sure you'll have a hard time finding someone who hate Muller. He certainly no superstar but most people seem to really appreciate him. I know I do at least. :)

But yeah, Germany lack a high quality and experienced striker. Someone that you know will score plenty if given a few chance by his teammate even in big game. To be fair, Germany isn't the only team who lack a experienced striker in those kind of tournament imo.

kyoekyar 6 years ago Edited
12 163

@Emo I feel pure no.9 era with the likes of Ronaldo, Nisteeroyl, Drogba, Klose, Batistuta, and Shearer is gone. I don't see a lot of pure 9 coming through in past 10 years. I think we're living in the era of wingers.

• History

@Emo I feel pure no.9 era with the likes of Ronaldo, Nisteeroyl, Drogba, Klose, Batistuta, and Shearer is gone. I don't see a lot of pure 9 coming through in last decade. I think we're living in the era of wingers.

10 1583

@kyoekar I think players like c.ronaldo and muller is off the ball players that's closest to an ideal no 9 I suppose

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@kyoekyar Agreed, it seem to me like striker won't find as much success in the current era. Its a shame but its an interesting change, its also mean other position are becoming more important when it come down to scoring goal.

Eden17Hazard17 6 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

I still don't rate Timo Werner that highly. I think Germany play better with a guy like Klose/Wagner/Gomez up top, allowing their midfield to create.

_Gonzi_ 6 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

i rate timo werner high. strong squad. coach knows what he is doing.

10 1583

timo werner is pacey more like morata type of player, shadow striker that beats defender with pace, muller is more no 9 in the team, which is why I expect both to interchange position a lot.

Croatian 6 years ago

Sane left out, Low counted his bad perfomances and he is off. Other players left out: Tah, Petersen and Leno.

10 1583

funny how brandt is ahead of sane. another dissappointing selection after icardi, lacazette and naingolan

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@baldgenius Pretty damn dissapointing indeed. :(

Croatian 6 years ago

Well Low didn't forgive him... he was really bad for NT, and Low only brings players who do well. Draxler was their player of the tournament for Confederations Cup, Brandt usually plays pretty well for NT.

Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11432

@Croatian Fair enough then, I personally respect manager who take only their own results with their player into consideration. After all, Germany and Manchester City system are not the same. Its not because he does well with City that he will perform with Germany. Still dissapointing for the player but then again, he is young, will propably have other chance to play in the tournament in the future.

• History

@Croatian Fair enough then, I personally respect manager who take only their own results with their player into consideration. After all, Germany and Manchester City system are not the same. Its not because he does well with City that he will perform with Germany. Still a dissapointing for the player but then again, he is young, will propably have other chance to play in he tournament in the future.

@Croatian Fair enough then, I personally respect manager who take only their own results with their player into consideration. After all, Germany and Manchester City system are not the same. Its not because he does well with City that he will perform with Germany. Still dissapointing for the player but then again, he is young, will propably have other chance to play in he tournament in the future.

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Yea Draxler was really good at CC, he led the team pretty well for someone that just moved to PSG. As for Brandt, he’s been the best young player in Bundesliga imo, he deserved his place.

Low will focus team chemistry over everything. We know Neuer will start, even though he’s been injured. Boateng in 2014 went to tournament with injury and was still selected. No surprises there imo.