Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

FourFourTwo's 100 Greatest Players of All Time
Croatian 7 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

Hello guys, today I read on reddit that FourFourTwo had new big ranking list so I decided to check it out. My feelings about website in general are mixed, sometimes they overreact, sometimes they don't really think before posting. However they have interesting lists and shame there are no comments so I could see what's on people's minds, and r/soccer isn't filled with this either. So here is link if you wanna check out:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/fourfourtwos-100-greatest-footballers-ever

DON'T READ BELOW IF YOU DON'T WANNA SPOILERS (I got really mad when someone spoiled newest GoT episode)

The first thing that comes to my mind after reading this list is that they actually balanced old era and new era really well - you can see that all players who deserved to be here are actually somewhere there - only big con is that some ratings are big misses. However number one is Maradona, Messi on number 2 and Pele on number 3. This is most-likely rarest of combinations. Pele on third place is generally rare. However I like that they were brave enough to put Maradona on first place which I would do too personally if I had to write the list. After that, top 10 is filled good. Cruyff is 4th which I again a good call, however then comes Cristiano on 5th place, something I wouldn't do. And he is higher than di Stefano. Beckenbauer is 7th (highest of defenders), and top ten is also filled by Zidane, Puskas and Brazilian Ronaldo.

Only big controversy in my eyes is Maldini five places lower than Baresi. I can't stand that. Other is up to you guys, write whatever you think.

Comments
Croatian 7 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

^Messi scoring that 'maradona' against Getafe was when he was 20 years old. No dribbler in this generation could do that at all, now imagine them doing when they were 20. Messi had better left foot, Messi was faster. It doesn't mean anything that Giggs was taller, because Messi is already physically strong with great balance. You constantly bring in argument of international football. Messi has lead Argentina to so much finals in which few misses by Higuain made them lose in the end. Not to mention Argentina didn't have any world class coach for years now. And Messi's teammates? All were average, most of them worse than at club level.

Argentina's teams were never more superior than 1970 even 1962 Brazil lmao. Seems like you use 'golden age of Spanish football' as valid argument, I've never seen someone using that after Xavi left. Also you never really replied to any of things I wrote you just wrote completely off-topic stuff. Take a look at Barcelona side in 16/17, declined Alba, average Pique, Roberto as RB, Busquets who was out-of-form, declined Iniesta, even declined Rakitic, Suarez who was not better than one season ago. Yet he deserves Ballon d'Or if you ask me.

I find this argument pointless if Giggs is really getting compared to Messi here...

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

First of all, does it matter how old was Giggs or Messi when Arsenal was a clearly better team than Getafe?
Secondly, height matter alot.
Lastly, Messi was only good in 1 team, just like Giggs, but he is number 2 of all time because he won 90% of all his things playing with the golden Spanish generation, anywhere else he was unable to lead and win.

I reseached Pele alot, and there is no doubt that he is far superior than Maradona, which makes him automatically superior than Messi, simple as that.

Madridista11 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

@Golazo What do you have against Messi? lol. I'm sorry to say but your reasoning is flawed.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

We can't play games of "what ifs". There is no "what if he played in a decent te- no, none of that. He did play in the Spanish golden generation, he did win them three Champions League titles, and he did cement his legacy as one of the inarguable greats.

No matter what you say, at the end of his career Messi will still have all those hordes of trophies and records. Pele would not be Pele without the Brazilian golden generation, so don't try to demean Lionel Messi's life accomplishments for playing in a golden team of football.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Also trophies aren't everything. If we were to measure a player's worth by the number of club trophies they had won, Maradona's career would be mediocre and Dani Alves would be an all-time great.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@Madridista @Dynastian Debate aside, its funny to see Real Madrid supporter taking Messi side. XD

nigelpayne 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 15 484

Saying players weren't better because they played in a good team is just ridiculous...if Wayne Rooney played at Barcelona during the 'golden age of Spanish football blah blah blah' he would be number 1...as if :D

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

@Madridista Nothing but it's not logical to rate him so high. I did research about Pele and there is no way that he was a worse player compared to Messi and Maradona.
Pele had everything, Maradona had a left foot and so does Messi, Pele had left,right, header he was complete.

If you judge Giggs at 83 because he played for 1 team only how can you judge Messi as second for the same reason?
Messi won most of his glory playing with the best ever spanish players so far, nobody can deny that he is not a real leader for Argentina and that over the years he has been a totally different player that can't show up and anywhere else but in Barcelona, like that he is no different than Ryan Giggs but at least Giggs could say that during the majority of his career Wales didn't have quality players, while Argentina has always had a world class team.

There is no way to justify Pele being behind Maradona, my simple argument, then if Messi at 30 that can't win not even Copa America not anything big with any team outside of Barcelona makes him number 2 then Giggs is obviously higher than number 83, it's just me using common sense because nobody has won as much as Giggs from the Premier League.

Pupper 7 years ago
Juventus 0 214

Comparing Giggs to Messi..

And for Neymar it's way too early, the guy is 25.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

@Pupper Oh did I manage to strike at the center of some cult worshiping of Messi so he can't be compared to anyone?

1. Both wingers
  2. Both left footed
  3. Both played for 1 club
  4. Both were wonder kids
  5. Both won alot

Why is Giggs so low in the list?

I mean it's just my personal observation, I know that if I was to look at the list more even more things would look wrong...