Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

FC Barcelona facing bankruptcy
_Pelle_ 3 years ago Edited
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6884

So this news is circulating the internet and I wasn’t surprised considering the salaries they pay and the coronayear we’ve had. But still ”facing bankruptcy” sounded a bit scary, and they have til january to fix their mess. Whether you are a fan of the club or of a rival club, you do not want this happening to any great club.

But what do you think Barca should do to fix their economy?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

So this news is circulating the internet and I wasn’t surprised considering the salaries they pay and the coronayear we’ve had. But still ”facing bankruptcy” sounded a bit scary. Whether you are a fan of the club or of a rival club, you do not want this happening to any great club.

But what do you think Barca should do to fix their economy?

Comments
Marcus2011 3 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Go bankrupt!

It is natural way of order. Chelsea and Leeds United went through it, so should Barcelona. They only like markets when things go their way, but borrowing beyond their means then not wanting to go bankrupt is normal

_Pelle_ 3 years ago

Bankruptcy would then mean relegation right?

I don’t know, but if thats the case the entire league would suffer a huge economic blow. Half the excitement with the league is the RM/Barca rivalry.

Marcus2011 3 years ago

That was the case with Leeds, but i am sure Barcelona will be spared.

Serves them a lesson for stealing all the TV revenue and sponsorship revenue while leaving other clubs scramble for left overs. They took on huge debt expecting that all that revenue will continue to flow. They could have sold Messi for over 200 mil, but decided to keep him on their books. They could have tap into their famous La Masia for talents ( made so much noise once) instead of spending big in transfer markets. This will humble them down a bit.

I certainly hope they get punished.

tuan_jinn 3 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

stealing all the TV revenue and sponsorship revenue while leaving other clubs scramble for left overs

This is not correct! It's just part of the business, if you dive into how everything structured in Spain, Real has the biggest benefit. Barcelona, similar to Real, Bayern, Manchester United... they have a huge fan base everywhere, and Messi next to Ronaldo are the two biggest crowd attractions by miles... Ofc, TV & sponsorship would be on their knees, That's just how business work. So saying what you said is not justified.

For club like Chelsea, Man City, PSG, it's easy for you guys to criticize them cuz you have a big sugar daddy behind your suggest. They do to, just not the same way.

But Barcelona should go bankrupt for another reason, mainly breaking their bank for ridiculous cash throwing around for players, break the market, has an incredibly high wages scale, too many shady stuffs going on with their administration.

Marcus2011 3 years ago

@tuan

They forced that structure and were opposing to share with others fairly. I suggest you dive into la liga revenue history.

Teams like Real and Barcelona are parasites that feed off other clubs and take food from their plate.

Chelsea, PSG , City leveled the play field and now United, Real, Bayern l, Barca don’t like it. Ofcourse, when there are new bullies on the block that can put you back in place from doing whatever you want in transfer market, TV rights, influence in UEFA and taking all the fat sponsor deals. Now you have to share.

Emobot7 3 years ago
538 11432

@Marcus2011 The irony is that if Bartolomeu had accepted to make a deal with Messi and sold him for an amount between 150M or 200M euro, then they would propably be a lot safer financially right now.

I personally think its the fault of the previous management, honestly. But then again, I haven't informed myself to know everything there is on the topic, so I might be wrong.

Though I kinda agree with Pelle, if Barca declare bankruptcy and end up being relegated or having to sell some of their best players, then it will be the final nail in the coffin of La Liga as Real will be the only top dog there. We seen with PSG what happen when you got a single team competing for title each year. They dominate their domestic league but have a hard time turning up against other big player in CL.

Footy_watch 3 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1856

• History

Hopefully Barcelona get relegated then, it would be very good

Hopefully Barcelona get relegated then, it would be very good and i would enjoy it more than us winning the fa cup

DarthFooty 3 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1098

In fairness, if Barca do file for bankruptcy, they should be relegated. While the big boys do seem to be immune to many rules, some do get hit. Juve for example was stripped of a title and relegated. Granted it was a different reason, but they are a giant in football, huge popularity, huge TV numbers share, sales, ect....

BUT, we are talking about La Liga and Barca. Politics rule the globe and Spanish football is right alongside those in power.

expertfootball11 3 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

Aside from the FCB case, it just shows how much attendance to football games is important to keep clubs afloat.

_Pelle_ 3 years ago

It would be a major blow not only for Barca, but also la liga and, like it or not, Real Madrid.

They will definitely not go harsh on Barca, even if they are guilty of mishandling their economy.

Marcus2011 3 years ago

Main issues is this: UEFA Has come up with financial fair play regulations to supposedly control spending and minimize factor of money "wins trophies", yet we are witnessing how Barcelona blatantly violating it. Their books aren't balanced to sustain club, and they are going to cut wages of the players unfairly due to their own reckless management. Even if they don't go bankrupt, they are breaking the rules that they themselves supported it and they are asking players to pitch in pretty much.

Now, if it was some "sugar daddy" club, we would have been talking about fines and bans!

Marcus2011 3 years ago

Hell with La Liga, If Barca goes there will Atletico who will take their place. Sevilla, Villareal, Valencia and Real Sociedad.. all great clubs with great history and they have great academies to make history! If they start keeping their players, then I am sure they will eventually fill the void.

Barcelona used to be mediocre in Europe. You guys forget it. This is a new generation with likes of Ronaldinho, Messi and lucky strike with La Masia talents. All happened at once.

_Pelle_ 3 years ago

El clasico is one of the biggest, if not the biggest club football game in the world. You cant compare it with anything else. That rivalry is too precious to be replaced by Sevilla, Valencia or Villareal...

Marcus2011 3 years ago

Why did it became biggest?

Biggest stars bought by Real and Barcelona play in it. At one point Chelsea vs Manchester United had almost exact same TV views as Real vs Barca, until Ronaldo was sold to Real.

Do you still watch El Classico? I haven't watched full match since infamous Ronaldo red card in Super Cup. That was last time and before that I rarely watched at all since Mourinho and Pep left.

tuan_jinn 3 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

El Clasico is still one of the biggest rivalry matches, but it's no longer the biggest, nor as attractive as it was 3 or 5 years ago.

It will be way way less compare to some other rivalries if Messi also leaves, until both team can find a replacable, equally attractive stars. Take Real for example, unless you are Real fans, for neutral fan, there isn't a player that is really interesting to watch or tune in for. Same with Barca, take Messi away, who is there to get excited now?. same with MU :D:D:D,

The reason why El Clasico was MUCH MUCH bigger (than it was normally just rather big) was because of Messi and Ronaldo.... everyone would skip work to watch it :D, and some generation before that...

Marcus2011 3 years ago Edited

@tuanis

Exactly, if Real and Barcelona don’t bring top stars to replace aging ones then it will be same derby match like Manchester vs Coty or Liverpool or any top 6 derbies of EPL. We have audience now around the world that can make same viewership number especially if we can keep our star players then forget about El Classico. We will have EL Classico every month.

Add to your point about star players, Mourinho vs Guardiola rivalry. It made EL Classico extra heated and exciting with the way they prepared players to win or die. Another factor was that Barcelona during 2009 -2015 were extremely strong due to their talented team plus their success in Europe due to talented board that found a way with UEFA, so many fans wanted to see them loose. While Real was seen as favorite underdogs trying to topple cocky Barcelona.

• History

@tuanis

Exactly, if Real and Barcelona don’t bring top stars to replace aging ones then it will be same derby match like Manchester vs Coty or Liverpool or any top 6 derbies of EPL. We have audience now around the world that can make same viewership number especially if we can our star players then forget about El Classico. We will have EL Classico every month.

Add to your point about star players, Mourinho vs Guardiola rivalry. It made EL Classico extra heated and exciting with the way they prepared players to win or die. Another factor was that Barcelona during 2009 -2015 were extremely strong due to their talented team plus their success in Europe due to talented board that found a way with UEFA, so many fans wanted to see them loose. While Real was seen as favorite underdogs trying to topple cocky Barcelona.

Footy_watch 3 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1856

• History

Since Cr7 left it stopped being el classico, and became another ordinary la liga game. La liga is trash

_Pelle_ 3 years ago Edited

Then you havent been watching la liga for so long...

El classico was hot even before Messi/CR7...

Zidane, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Figo (and the pighead), Romario, Kluivert... etc etc and this is just the 2000s

It was even hot during 1950s as Barca was the only team that could really beat Di Stefano/Puskas RM and won the league 4 times.

• History

The you havent been watching la liga for so long...

El classico wad hot even begore Messi/CR7...

Zidane, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Figo (and the pighead), Romario, Kluivert... etc etc and this is just the 2000s

It was even hot during 1950s as Barca was the only team that could really beat Di Stefano/Puskas RM and won the league 4 times.

El classico wad hot even begore Messi/CR7...

El classico was hot even begore Messi/CR7...

DarthFooty 3 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1098

It is an old rivalry for sure and not born with or will die because of Messi and Ronaldo. It is not the oldest rivalry in the game and some would challenge not the best.

It did have more global coverage with key players involved which loaned the presence of it being in the biggest of them all.

River vs Boca, Ranger vs Celtic, Lazio vs Roma, Liverpool vs Man Udt, Benefica vs Porto or Porto vs Lisbon, Partizan vs Red Star, Al-Ahly vs Zamalek, Borussia Dortmund vs Schalke (You thought it was Bayern I bet), Flamengo vs Vasco de Gama, Marseille vs Lyon, Besiktas vs Fenerbahce, Nacional vs Penarol, Spartak Moscow vs Dinamo Kiev, America vs Guadalajara...... ect....

Depending on where you are from and who you support, I am sure you have a rivalry match as big, if not bigger to you than El Classico.

Emobot7 3 years ago
538 11432

Well obviously, its not as exciting since Ronaldo has left but it still a very important derby and a interesting games. You can still see thing in those match that are magical. Take Modric goal in last Classico, it was incredible shot and felt like the goal who ended up the game before the whistle. Maybe some will argue that the game was already over by then but I don't think we could have seen that in just any La Liga game.