Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Euro 2012 England Squad Announced!
ChelseaRox10 12 years ago
Chelsea, England U19 142 979

New England boss Roy Hodgson has announced his 23-man England squad for Euro 2012!

Rio Ferdinand, Peter Crouch, Kyle Walker and Micah Richards have been left out of the squad - with Stewart Downing being the surprise inclusion.

KEEPERS
Joe Hart (Man. City)

Rob Green (West Ham)

John Ruddy (Norwich)

DEFENDERS
Leighton Baines (Everton)

Ashley Cole (Chelsea)

Gary Cahill (Chelsea

Joleon Lescott (Man. City)

John Terry (Chelsea)

Glen Johnson (Liverpool)

Phil Jones (Man. United)

MIDFIELDERS
Stewart Downing (Liverpool)

Gareth Barry (Man. City)

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)

Frank Lampard (Chelsea)

Scott Parker (Tottenham)

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)

Ashley Young (Man. United)

Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

James Milner (Man. City)

FORWARDS
Andy Carroll (Liverpool)

Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

Wayne Rooney (Man. United)

Danny Welbeck (Man. United)

Captain: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)

Comments
iHEARTfootball 12 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

very VERY good squad! 

actually I'm surprised someone like Glen Johnson got in instead of Micah Richards....

This comment is disliked by many users (show)
Ihaveabbc 12 years ago
Liverpool, England 7 370

Yes because glenn johnson is the best right back in the league at the moment ...

Kyle Walker should be in...

Why is it that everyone does this(...) at the end of there Comment? Its kinda strange...

LOL I keep changing my mind about this squad selection. So many great English players. But good job for Roy. Choosing an English is definitely one of the most challenging jobs. 

I'm so happy that Steven Gerrard is finally captain. He should be captain instead of Rio Ferdinand.

kenkichiotaka 12 years ago
Manchester United, Japan 47 1894

Sad that Rio Ferdinand wasn't in the list...

WhatTheHell 12 years ago
Barcelona, Spain 15 591

@ChelseaRox10 I think Walker is injured

@Kenkichiotaka I wasnt sad that he was not part of it

Manshitty_are_shit 12 years ago
Manchester United, England 14 985

The Fuck you choose Carroll for ?

JuanMata10 12 years ago
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

dafuq?! walker not in, but Carrol yes? Wtf Hodgson

Jimskeleton 12 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 7 728

Walker is injured, he fractured a toe I believe during the last game of the season.

It's an ok squad, completely disagree with the inclusions of Carroll and Downing, and Richards is better than Johnson. Unsure about Milner as well who has been a bit part player for City most the season.

GunnerAFC 12 years ago
Arsenal, England 47 1026

Why is there only one right-back in the team? And like 4 centre backs? So stupid. I know Jones can play as a right back but he's a natural centre back. He should of taken out Lescott and put Micah Richards in.

mortelmec 12 years ago
Liverpool, Spain 35 38

Where is Aaron LEnon??! He is far better than milner and downing...

ikoiko 12 years ago
Arsenal, Spain 53 853

I would have liked to see Adam Johnson in there as well as Jack Wilshere. It's a shame Wilshere is getting plagued with these injuries.

Footaholic 12 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

I think Hodgson made some good, bold choices but some pretty questionable ones as well. 
CBs: Agree with the decision to choose Terry over Rio. Cahill & Terry have a developing understanding from their together at Chelsea. Also, whether you like him or not, he is a motivator and team leader.  Rio has been great through his career but I think he is getting past it now.  
FBs: Happy Baines got a shout. I have to agree with GunnerAFC, Micah Richards deserves to be in the squad. If Roy wanted to keep Lescott he should've chose Richards over Phil Jones (b/c part of the rationale is that Jones can also cover RB). I suppose he could've also dropped Johnson & kept Jones (but I think that would be most imprudent).

Footaholic 12 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

Midfield: Downing? Seriously? I'd have Adam Johnson over Downing any day of the week. As for Milner, I understand his inclusion b/c he tracks back, has a good calming presence so he would give a different option at the wing. I think he got it right not choosing Lenon. Not that he's bad but it would be a redundancy to have both him & Walcott on the team. I would either choose him or Walcott and I think Walcott is a better option b/c he has improved this year and is scoring more goals now.  Lastly, putting in the OX is being touted as a "bold move" but I would've thought it common sense. Unlike the other wingers he has a good ability to drift into the center and interchange with the strikers. Plus, he is a great dribbler, very attack-minded, level-headed, and Strong.
Forwards: Rooney & Welbeck have developed a great partnership and were no-brainers. I thought chosing Defoe was one of his gutsiest decisions because he hasn't gotten much playing time at Spurs and is continuously under-appreciated. The guy is a goal scorer and he's proven it. He isn't afraid to shoot and take his chance and is a good poacher as well.  The only real issue I have is with Carroll.  I think he's had one of the worst seasons of any EPL player and just because he's done well in the last 3 matches doesn't mean you pick him to represent your country against the best players in Europe.  I understand that maybe Roy wants a big man that can hold the ball up front, but what about Crouchy?  Despite his goofy looks, he has fantastic feet and technique for a man of his size. Moreover he has an excellent goal-to-game ratio for England and has had a far better season than Carroll. I feel his exclusion was unfair and unjustified.

Manshitty_are_shit 12 years ago
Manchester United, England 14 985

TBH I would choose 
*Sturridge over Carroll due the fact that he is arrogant and skilled perfect for competions. *

kenkichiotaka 12 years ago
Manchester United, Japan 47 1894

And where is Micheal Carrick????He wasn't bad this year..

naman93 12 years ago
Real Madrid 82 859

he retired 

expertfootball11 12 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

Good thing that Welbeck is in.