Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Official: Di Maria joins United for a British record fee.
Comments
Lodatz 10 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Great signing for United. I think he might take a season to fully adjust, though, but this shows that LvG means business.

What a tight season this is going to be. Love the PL!

Vendetta 10 years ago
Chelsea FC, Egypt 202 3025

I'm sorry United fans, but that is just pathetic. The most expensive signing in the EPL is now him? The most expensive signing in EPL history should be one who is considered one of the top 3 best players in the world. This is just... desperate. :/

netsten 10 years ago
Chelsea, Belgium 44 992

Let's see what happens...

spanish 10 years ago
Real Madrid, Spain 14 343

Ven benatia went to bayern for 26m United shoul've snapped him up.

tuan_jinn 10 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Well @Ven, despite how much I hate this transfer fees, I have to disagree purely on top 3 point of yours, Di Maria was Madrid most important players last season beside Modric IMO, the guy was a constant break through...

netsten 10 years ago
Chelsea, Belgium 44 992

@Tuan_jinn. Sorry for my previous actions, let's see what happens too...

Vendetta 10 years ago

@spanish: Definitely. That could have boosted their defense greatly. But you have to wonder - would have Benatia went for United anyway? If I were him at the moment, I'd sign with Bayern with my eyes closed.

United's cracks are starting to show quickly. I was one of the many who said 'Moyes Out!', but now I'm left wondering if it was actually Moyes's fault in the end?

tuan_jinn 10 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

@netsten: ok cool mate, no worry ^^

Lodatz 10 years ago

@Ven:

Why desperate? O.o

Ronaldo and Messi will never be sold, unless they demand to be, and someone like Robben or Ribery would be, honestly, too old to start afresh in a new league (assuming of course that Bayern would even choose to sell them, or that they would want to come).

Di Maria IS one of the best wingers in the world, no? And he's still only 26. Together with Januzaj, Herrera, Mata etc, that's a pretty potent-looking offensive midfield for the next 3 or 4 years.

They can afford it, so why not?

Vendetta 10 years ago

@tuan_jinn: There was no 'Madrid's best player'. The whole team were the best collectively. Everyone had their part to play in their road to the CL. Reus was Dortmund's most important player last season and his buyout clause is 25m.

What makes it all the worse from my perspective is that Madrid thought he was surplus to requirements and still got rid of him for an insane price. That is the sad part about the EPL's new record signing.

Vendetta 10 years ago Edited

@Lodatz:

Well I didn't literally mean the top 3. It was an exaggeration :P. Sorry if it didn't seem that way.

They can afford it, but they could have used that money for much more useful players. Like you said, United has already gotten a decent midfield. Considering that they're going through a transitional phase, I don't see why they didn't go for a player like Markovic or waited a season for Reus.

If I were a United fan, I would have went for Markovic and Benatia with that money.

If anything, it seems like a panic buy to please the fans. United are already decent in the offense. Why upgrade it even more when they could have just upgraded their defense with that money?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Lodatz:

Well I didn't literally mean the top 3. It was an exaggeration :P. Sorry if it didn't seem that way.

They can afford it, but they could have used that money for much more useful players. Like you said, United has already gotten a decent midfield. Considering that they're going through a transitional phase, I don't see why they didn't go for a player like Markovic or waited a season for Reus.

If I were a United fan, I would have went for Markovic and Benatia with that money.

TheGame 10 years ago
Manchester United 104 1380

"The most expensive signing in EPL history should be one who is considered one of the top 3 best players in the world"

@V, before Di Maria, Torres was the most expensive EPL signing and he wasn't even close to being one of the top three players in the world. Mate, the only thing pathetic here is your comment, unfortunately.

Torres was the best striker in the world back then (and imo top 5), before anyone even knew he was broken. That price was justifiable considering his talent and status.

We also badly needed a new striker as Anelka and Drogba were aging.

• History

Torres was the best striker in the world back then (and imo top 3), before anyone even knew he was broken. That price was justifiable considering his talent and status.

Torres was the best striker in the world back then (and imo top 3), before anyone even knew he was broken. That price was justifiable considering his talent and status.

We also badly needed a new striker as Anelka and Drogba were aging.

ironfist2010 10 years ago Edited
Real Madrid, Egypt 69 907

i didn't post or comment on FR for a while coz i was too busy but really seeing Di Maria carrying man utd kit broke my heart :"( i used to love this guy since his very 1st touch of ball at madrid , couldn't imagine him playing for other team but madrid ! :( i wouldn't feel the same if CR7 himself left RM !! i really wish the best of luck from the depth of my heart :') make sure if LVG put him in the right position man utd will be on fire " remember theses words "
Bye Bye Di Magica :')

• History

i didn't post or comment on FR for a while coz i was too busy but really seeing Di Maria carrying man utd kit broke my heart :"( i used to love this guy since his very 1st touch of ball at madrid , couldn't imagine him playing for other than but madrid ! :( i wouldn't feel the same if CR7 himself left RM !! i really wish the best of luck from the depth of my heart :') make sure if LVG put him in the right position man utd will be on fire " remember theses words "
Bye Bye Di Magica :')

Lodatz 10 years ago Edited

"What makes it all the worse from my perspective is that Madrid thought he was surplus to requirements and still got rid of him for an insane price. "

I think you're greatly underestimating the part that finances have played in this. They just shelled out even more money on James, not to mention Kroos as well.

Even Madrid need to recoup money. It's like when Ozil was flogged for 42m, despite him being considered their 2nd-best player, behind Ronaldo. Marca talk a load of crap to try and convince Madrid fans that it's all for 'footballing reasons', but the simple truth is: it's a money game, especially to someone like Perez.

Di Maria was sold to balance books. Any bluster about being surplus to requirements is just that: bluster, and nonsense. Next summer it'll be Benzema, or Modric, or Varane, or even Bale, if someone new becomes the 'hottest player in the world', and someone needs to make room on the wage-bill, or to help recover transfer fees in order to get them.

It's Madrid, man. It was the same in the early 2000s, too. The Galaticos project stumbles on.

• History

"What makes it all the worse from my perspective is that Madrid thought he was surplus to requirements and still got rid of him for an insane price. "

I think you're greatly underestimating the part that finances have played int his. They just shelled out even more money on James, not to mention Kroos as well.

Even Madrid need to recoup money. It's like when Ozil was flogged for 42m, despite him being considered their 2nd-best player, behind Ronaldo. Marca talk a load of crap to try and convince Madrid fans that it's all for 'footballing reasons', but the simple truth is: it's a money game, especially to someone like Perez.

Di Maria was sold to balance books. Any bluster about being surplus to requirements is just that: bluster, and nonsense. Next summer it'll be Benzema, or Modric, or Varane, or even Bale, if someone new becomes the 'hottest player in the world'.

It's Madrid, man. It was the same in the early 2000s, too. The Galaticos project stumbles on.

I think you're greatly underestimating the part that finances have played int his. They just shelled out even more money on James, not to mention Kroos as well.

Di Maria was sold to balance books. Any bluster about being surplus to requirements is just that: bluster, and nonsense. Next summer it'll be Benzema, or Modric, or Varane, or even Bale, if someone new becomes the 'hottest player in the world'.

I think you're greatly underestimating the part that finances have played in this. They just shelled out even more money on James, not to mention Kroos as well.

Di Maria was sold to balance books. Any bluster about being surplus to requirements is just that: bluster, and nonsense. Next summer it'll be Benzema, or Modric, or Varane, or even Bale, if someone new becomes the 'hottest player in the world', and someone needs to make room on the wage-bill, or to help recover transfer fees.

man_utd 10 years ago
Manchester United, South Korea 91 1444

@Vendetta
Torres was already on the decline before he joined Chelsea. He was no way near the top 3 strikers in the world.

Lodatz 10 years ago

@ironfist: that's a great way to look at things, dude. +1

TheGame 10 years ago
Manchester United 104 1380

After the 09-10 season, Torres was never the same. I am sorry, but you're dead wrong with your analysis. Messi, Ronaldo, Sneijder, Iniesta, Xavi, Rooney, Tevez, Casillas, Millito, Villa, Drogba, Lampard, Alonso, Eto'o, Schweinsteiger, Robben, Forlan...were all above Torres in world rankings at that time. He had a horrible WC in 2010 which was riddled with injuries and he was absolutely nothing like his earlier self with Liverpool in the season before he transferred to Chelsea in 2011.

Vendetta 10 years ago

@man_utd: No one called that a decline. No one dared to. Plus, he still scored 9 goals in 22 games for Liverpool in the EPL before he joined Chelsea. So it really seemed like he was just in a slump. He was still the best striker in many viewer's eyes.

@TheGame: He was injured for the majority of the season but he still managed to score 18 goals in 20 starts for the EPL and then went on to score 9 goals in the 2010/11 season before joining Chelsea in January. His World Cup was sh*t but that didn't show everyone he was broken just yet. He only started 4 games in the WC, anyway. How could you have even guessed that was the beginning of the end for him? It was still not noticeable then. It was seen as a slump.

• History

@TheGame: He was injured for the majority of the season but he still managed to score 18 goals in 20 starts for the EPL and then went on to score 9 goals in the 2010/11 season before joining Chelsea in January. It was still not noticeable then. It was seen as a slump.