Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Claudio Ranieri sacked
quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Leicester City Football Club has tonight (Thursday) parted company with its First Team Manager, Claudio Ranieri.

Claudio, appointed City manager in July 2015, led the Foxes to the greatest triumph in the Club’s 133-year history last season, as we were crowned champions of England for the first time. His status as the most successful Leicester City manager of all time is without question.

Vice Chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha said:

This has been the most difficult decision we have had to make in nearly seven years since King Power took ownership of Leicester City. But we are duty-bound to put the Club’s long-term interests above all sense of personal sentiment, no matter how strong that might be.

Assistant Manager and First Team Coach Paolo Benetti and First Team Sport Science and Conditioning Coach Andrea Azzalin have also parted company with the Club and leave with our thanks for their service and best wishes for the future.
enter image description here

I don't think this is the right time for sacking the manager, however good luck to him finding new team.

Comments
raimondo90 7 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

I want you to qualify that statement, because as it stands it is a claim forged by merely your opinion, which as you've admitted in the past is only about 8 years old in terms of footballing knowledge. I'm sincerely not trying to be mean, but can you appreciate how arrogant it sounds for, say a 20-year old to tell you that Star Wars: The Force Awakens was the best movie of all time, because it's the high watermark of their own (rather meager) observation? It deserves to be challenged, if only for that person's own enlightenment.

So tell me, how exactly are you going to measure the gap in quality between 1st and 2nd tiers from bygone ages, in order to sustain your claim?

Couldnt your very own reasoning be used against you? How can you prove that there was or wasnt a gap in quality? The matter of fact is that this is and will always be a matter of opinion as there is no forseeable way to measure this without being subjective.

It is my opinion that football before the 1990s was pretty scrappy. It lacked tactics and high performance atheletes. If you compared an average football player in terms of speed, endurance, technique, ball control, etc. to a player from 1980 youd see the modern player excells. Again this is an opinion. You may not agree and thats totally fine.

Lodatz 7 years ago Edited
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Couldnt your very own reasoning be used against you? How can you prove that there was or wasnt a gap in quality? The matter of fact is that this is and will always be a matter of opinion as there is no forseeable way to measure this without being subjective.

I agree with that, but then I'm not the one making the claim that there is a big difference between them.

He is making such a claim, and while once again I am sincerely not trying to be inflammatory, I don't believe, based upon his comment and a few others, that he is qualified to make that assessment. I would like him to give me reasons why I should take his view that there was no big gap in quality between first and second tiers, in English football or any other, because until he does...

...there's no reason to diminish the winning of a European Cup, just to try and make Leicester look better, which is the foundation of the argument I'm hearing. That winning 2 European Cups after winning a league title, and ALL directly after promotion to the first division... is somehow not such a big deal, because: Malmo.

That doesn't really persuade me.

It is my opinion that football before the 1990s was pretty scrappy. It lacked tactics and high performance atheletes. "

Okay, so what does that tell you? It tells you that the teams who DID use tactics and high-performance athletes (lol, btw, as I think of Eusebio) were pioneers, and made memorable, lasting changes to the game.

Like Nottingham Forest. Otherwise? Madrid's first 5 European Cups mean nothing, and neither do any World Cups before the 1990s which were not won by Brazil, Germany or Italy. I don't think you believe that, but it follows the same logic.

Great teams made great history. Leicester City made great history indeed themselves, but compared to the greatness and achievements of some of the teams from the past, they're not in the top bracket for me, and I think that the reasons why people are placing them in that bracket are mostly down to an (understandable) ignorance. It's understandable, because we live in today's age and not the past. and none of us saw the great teams of the past. It's easy to assume that the best thing YOU'VE seen is the best thing ever, if you see what I mean?

I'm just pointing out to Sun that, well, maybe the scope of his assessment is a little on the narrow side, is all...

If you compared an average football player in terms of speed, endurance, technique, ball control, etc. to a player from 1980 youd see the modern player excells. Again this is an opinion. You may not agree and thats totally fine.

I agree with that part absolutely, and is a large part of why I think it's clear that Messi is the best player to have ever laced up a pair of boots. But... is he the greatest?

That's a different question, isn't it?

Do you see my overall point?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I agree with that, but then I'm not the one making the claim that there is a big difference between them.

He is making such a claim, and while once again I am sincerely not trying to be inflammatory, I don't believe, based upon his comment and a few others, that he is qualified to make that assessment. I would like him to give me reasons why I should take his view that there was no big gap in quality between first and second tiers, in English football or any other, because until he does...

...there's no reason to diminish the winning of a European Cup, just to try and make Leicester look better.

It is my opinion that football before the 1990s was pretty scrappy. It lacked tactics and high performance atheletes. "

Okay, so what does that tell you? It tells you that the teams who DID use tactics and high-performance athletes (lol, btw, as I think of Eusebio) were pioneers, and made memorable, lasting changes to the game.

Like Nottingham Forest. Otherwise? Madrid's first 5 European Cups mean nothing, and neither do any World Cups before the 1990s. I don't think you believe that, but it follows the same logic.

Great teams made great history. Leicester City made great history indeed themselves, but compared to the greatness and achievements of some of the teams from the past, they're not in the top bracket for me.

If you compared an average football player in terms of speed, endurance, technique, ball control, etc. to a player from 1980 youd see the modern player excells. Again this is an opinion. You may not agree and thats totally fine.

I agree with that part absolutely, and is a large part of why I think it's clear that Messi is the best player to have ever laced up a pair of boots. But... is he the greatest?

...there's no reason to diminish the winning of a European Cup, just to try and make Leicester look better, which is the foundation of the argument I'm hearing. That winning 2 European Cups after winning a league title, and ALL directly after promotion to the first division... is somehow not such a big deal, because: Malmo.

Like Nottingham Forest. Otherwise? Madrid's first 5 European Cups mean nothing, and neither do any World Cups before the 1990s. I don't think you believe that, but it follows the same logic.

Great teams made great history. Leicester City made great history indeed themselves, but compared to the greatness and achievements of some of the teams from the past, they're not in the top bracket for me.

Great teams made great history. Leicester City made great history indeed themselves, but compared to the greatness and achievements of some of the teams from the past, they're not in the top bracket for me, and I think that the reasons why people are placing them in that bracket are down to an (understandable) ignorance. It's understandable, because we live in today's age and not the past. and none of us saw the great teams of the past. It's easy to assume that the best thing YOU'VE seen is the best thing ever, if you see what I mean?

I'm just pointing out to Sun that, well, maybe the scope of his assessment is a little on the narrow side, is all...

Like Nottingham Forest. Otherwise? Madrid's first 5 European Cups mean nothing, and neither do any World Cups before the 1990s which were not won by Brazil, Germany or Italy. I don't think you believe that, but it follows the same logic.

Great teams made great history. Leicester City made great history indeed themselves, but compared to the greatness and achievements of some of the teams from the past, they're not in the top bracket for me, and I think that the reasons why people are placing them in that bracket are down to an (understandable) ignorance. It's understandable, because we live in today's age and not the past. and none of us saw the great teams of the past. It's easy to assume that the best thing YOU'VE seen is the best thing ever, if you see what I mean?

raimondo90 7 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Sure there is no reason to diminish what it means to be a European Cup champions (consecutively) but I believe this stems out of the fact that European Cup does not have the same merit as the modern Champions League and not out of ignorance. There was a reason why the cup was replaced and in my eyes they are not equal competitions whatsoever. That could be the root to why Leicester becoming champions seems more important than winning "an old cup".

Again, Nottingham deserve all the praises theyve recieved yet it still somehow feels not as magnificent or outstanding. The Leicester sotry does have that feeling and maybe its due to actually living the story and seeing it happen. Or maybe the media has a role. Honestly im intrigued as to what the sports newspapers claimed about the Nottingham team, probably claimed they were the greatest ever.

Lodatz 7 years ago Edited
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

I believe this stems out of the fact that European Cup does not have the same merit as the modern Champions League and not out of ignorance. There was a reason why the cup was replaced and in my eyes they are not equal competitions whatsoever.

Well, the reason why was because UEFA wanted more money. So they changed to a format which brought in more top teams, to attract more interest and TV attention.

That doesn't make it a better, or harder competition.

By the way, I personally DO prefer the current format, so it's not any kind of complaint I'm making, but considering the old format was pitting literal champions against each other, with no entrance for anyone who wasn't a league champion, I don't think it's feasible to claim that it was somehow easier.

Again, Nottingham deserve all the praises theyve recieved yet it still somehow feels not as magnificent or outstanding.

Then I don't know what to tell you, because it's never been done before or since, by any team in any country (including Leicester).

The Leicester sotry does have that feeling and maybe its due to actually living the story and seeing it happen

THAT seems to me to be pretty much the entire reason, to be honest.

Honestly im intrigued as to what the sports newspapers claimed about the Nottingham team, probably claimed they were the greatest ever.

I don't know, but this cool article can tell you about the team itself, and how a lot of the 17 players who won the European Cup were nobody before they met 'Cloughie'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3269817/Brian-Clough-s-miracle-men-happened-17-European-Cup-winning-players-history-Nottingham-Forest.html

Seriously, it's just like Leicester's story, only even more humble, and they won the bloody European Cup as well; twice.

• History

I believe this stems out of the fact that European Cup does not have the same merit as the modern Champions League and not out of ignorance. There was a reason why the cup was replaced and in my eyes they are not equal competitions whatsoever.

Well, the reason why was because UEFA wanted more money. So they changed to a format which brought in more top teams, to attract more interest and TV attention.

By the way, I personally DO prefer the current format, so it's not any kind of complaint I'm making, but considering the old format was pitting literal champions against each other, with no entrance for anyone who wasn't a league champion, I don't think it's feasible to claim that it was somehow easier.

Again, Nottingham deserve all the praises theyve recieved yet it still somehow feels not as magnificent or outstanding.

Then I don't know what to tell you, because it's never been done before or since, by any team in any country (including Leicester).

The Leicester sotry does have that feeling and maybe its due to actually living the story and seeing it happen

Honestly im intrigued as to what the sports newspapers claimed about the Nottingham team, probably claimed they were the greatest ever.

I don't know, but this cool article can tell you about the team itself, and how most of the 17 players who twice won the European Cup were nobody when Clough took over.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3269817/Brian-Clough-s-miracle-men-happened-17-European-Cup-winning-players-history-Nottingham-Forest.html

Seriously, it's just like Leicester's story, only even more humble, and they won the bloody European Cup as well; twice.

I don't know, but this cool article can tell you about the team itself, and how a lot of the 17 players who twice won the European Cup were nobody before they met 'Cloughie'.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

What do you mean it wasn't easier? Teams today must play, and win the majority of, 13 games throughout the season in order to be victorious in the Champions League. Nottingham had to play 9 games in order to win, with the games set at least two weeks apart from each other, contrasting from our modern format of 6-8 days apart (for the quarters and the semis). That makes the season a lot more exhausting - especially towards the end when players get weary from the league. Moreover, nowadays tactics are visibly more developed than the 70's, leading to results being more volatile than you'd expect - proven by the fact that no team has won the Champions League back-to-back. It took Barcelona to win 3 cups in the span of 7 years to be considered a dynasty in the modern era. Back in the old days, Bayern and Madrid won it multiple times in a row to prove their dominance.

Whether Nottingham or Leicester are more memorable is really opinionated, and I really couldn't care less who anyone thinks is more memorable. It's Leicester > Nottingham for me simply based on the fact that I was born in 19 years after Nottingham won their first EC but have been blessed to witness Leicester's victory live (and it was over teams worth in the billions, as @Marcus has already said). But the Champions League is definitely much more difficult to win now that it was prior to the 90's, as proven by the records of the teams back then.

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Maybe this was the correct decision after all....

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Maybe this was the correct decision after all....

Nonsense. As I said on the first page of the thread:

In the short-term, this is a good decision. Your team is struggling to stay in the EPL and a managerial change usually has a positive influence on that. I understand the mindset.
However, the potential long-term viability of Ranieri with Leicester is incredibly high. The only reason to do this is because Leicester, as an organization, honestly believes that it is an EPL basement dweller side. I don't think the players believe that, and I doubt Ranieri did either.

The Leicester ownsership essentially decided that it had to win RIGHT NOW and everything else was insignificant. Nearly any manager can win you the 3-5 games you need to stay up once the change is made. Big Sam and Alan Pardew have made careers out of it. What Ranieri did was WIN AN EPL TITLE. Cannot really stress that enough. Staying up is not the best he can do, he can literally make you the best team in the country. Leicester threw that away to get 3-5 wins.

amir_keal 7 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

SunFlash

Let's wait and see.

• History

SunFlash

Let's wait and see.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Wait and see what? If Shakespeare can make them champions? That was Ranieri's ceiling, we should logically hold his replacement to the same standard.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@Sunflash Nobody could turn them into champion this year. Also, keeping a manager capable of making them champion is nice and all but can they afford to lose a year or more in the second division with this winning manager?

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

And here we are again.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@Sunflash Shakespeare out? Well, I wonder if it will work out as well as when they fired Ranieri, don't think it will and in the end, it will prove they might have been better keeping him in the first place.