Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Claudio Ranieri sacked
quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Leicester City Football Club has tonight (Thursday) parted company with its First Team Manager, Claudio Ranieri.

Claudio, appointed City manager in July 2015, led the Foxes to the greatest triumph in the Club’s 133-year history last season, as we were crowned champions of England for the first time. His status as the most successful Leicester City manager of all time is without question.

Vice Chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha said:

This has been the most difficult decision we have had to make in nearly seven years since King Power took ownership of Leicester City. But we are duty-bound to put the Club’s long-term interests above all sense of personal sentiment, no matter how strong that might be.

Assistant Manager and First Team Coach Paolo Benetti and First Team Sport Science and Conditioning Coach Andrea Azzalin have also parted company with the Club and leave with our thanks for their service and best wishes for the future.
enter image description here

I don't think this is the right time for sacking the manager, however good luck to him finding new team.

Comments
Marcus2011 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Neville is still salty . However , he made a good point ))

_Gonzi_ 7 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

neville v ranieri, the difference is that ranieri is actually a good coach. neville thinks he can just walk into a club

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Unexpected specially when Leicester are still chasing quarter final qualification in CL...

Lodatz 7 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Neville is talking about Arsenal, chaps, not Valencia.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

At least the positive thing to take away from this is that we can all proudly say that we witnessed what was arguably the most unlikely and the most memorable title win in the history of first-class English football.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Completely agree.

The kind of history thats too rare as Messi or Ronaldo joining Stoke City

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

Really sad for him, especially when you can see its the player who seem to have the more trouble. Leicester defense should really have been strengthned last summer for exemple. A shame. EPL is really unforgiving. :(

Lodatz 7 years ago Edited

At least the positive thing to take away from this is that we can all proudly say that we witnessed what was arguably the most unlikely and the most memorable title win in the history of first-class English football.

Maybe, maybe not. I mean, we can certainly agree that it was phenomenally unlikely, but on that front I could cite Tottenham winning the FA Cup in 1901 despite being a non-league team at the time. That's the only time it has ever happened, in the entire history of football.

But as for most memorable, that's on much shakier ground in my mind.

Setting aside Nottingham Forest's achievement, how about in 1961, when Tottenham won the league and FA Cup double; the first team to ever do this. Or what about United winning the only treble in English football history. Or Arsenal going a season unbeaten, etc. Or City winning over United on goal difference thanks to Aguero... and that's just recent history.

What about in 1928, when Dixie Dean scored SIXTY (that's 60!) goals in one season for Everton? I bet the folks back there thought that nothing could ever be more memorable than that. English football has a long history. The longest, in fact.

I have to admit, in years to come, I don't think Leicester's title win is going to stick out in my memory that hugely. It's a blip on the radar, ultimately. It was fun, or at least it was for most people, and it was memorable for being such a blip, but not memorable in the sense of a world-class team winning a magnificent title, or simply being better than anyone else, or winning all competitions, etc.

I don't say these things to anger any Leicester fans out there, but, I suspect in 5 years' time most people here (and probably myself) will have forgotten half of the Leicester squad who won the title.

Anyways, just my opinion.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Maybe, maybe not. I mean, we can certainly agree that it was phenomenally unlikely, but on that front I could cite Tottenham winning the FA Cup in 1901 despite being a non-league team at the time. That's the only time it has ever happened, in the entire history of football.

How about in 1961, when Tottenham won the league and FA Cup double; the first team to ever do this. Or what about United winning the only treble in English football history. Or Arsenal going a season unbeaten, etc. Or City winning over United on goal difference thanks to Aguero... and that's just recent history.

What about in 1928, when Dixie Dean scored SIXTY (that's 60!) goals in one season for Everton? I bet the folks back there thought that nothing could ever be more memorable than that. English football has a long history. The longest, in fact.

I have to admit, in years to come, I don't think Leicester's title win is going to stick out in my memory that hugely. It's a blip on the radar, ultimately. It was fun, or at least it was for most people, and it was memorable for being such a blip, but not memorable in the sense of a world-class team winning a magnificent title, or simply being better than anyone else, or winning all competitions, etc.

I don't say these things to anger any Leicester fans out there, but, I suspect in 5 years' time most people here will have forgotten half of the Leicester squad who won the title.

How about in 1961, when Tottenham won the league and FA Cup double; the first team to ever do this. Or what about United winning the only treble in English football history. Or Arsenal going a season unbeaten, etc. Or City winning over United on goal difference thanks to Aguero... and that's just recent history.

I don't say these things to anger any Leicester fans out there, but, I suspect in 5 years' time most people here (and probably myself) will have forgotten half of the Leicester squad who won the title.

Or what about Nottingham Forest, who not only won the league the season after being promoted, but THEN went on to win the European Cup the following season! I mean, is there a better success story in ALL of football than that?

Setting aside Nottingham Forest's achievement, how about in 1961, when Tottenham won the league and FA Cup double; the first team to ever do this. Or what about United winning the only treble in English football history. Or Arsenal going a season unbeaten, etc. Or City winning over United on goal difference thanks to Aguero... and that's just recent history.

Sheesh!

How did I forget about Nottingham Forest, who won promotion to the top-flight in 1977, won the league in 1978, and then went on to win the European Cup in both of the following two seasons (1979 and 1980)!

I mean, is there a better success story in ALL of football than that?

• History

Sheesh!

How did I forget about Nottingham Forest, who not only won the league the season after being promoted, but THEN went on to win the European Cup the following season!

Sheesh!

How did I forget about Nottingham Forest, who not only won the league the season after being promoted, but THEN went on to win the European Cup in BOTH of the following two seasons! (plus

Sheesh!

How did I forget about Nottingham Forest, who won promotion to the top-flight in 1977, won the league in 1978, and THEN went on to win the European Cup in BOTH of the following two seasons (1979 and 1980)!

Marcus2011 7 years ago

Yes , the times when Red Star Belgrade was powerhouse ..

Nothing beats Leicester City triumph because it was done with limited resources against top teams with vast financial resources and the squad with world star players ..

Quality of football back then was evenly shit .. so a team like Nothigham could somehow match best of Europe after a year of good morning practice and healthy meals )) Today , every player has a team of coaches and advisors working on him every day to imrpove him and prepare him for matches .. Teams these days are money making performance enhanced machines in comparison to teams before 90s ..

It is way more harder to win the top flight league these days not to mention any European Cup is even more . Football has changed so much that I just can't understand how any champion before new CL/EL format can be compared with current ones and same goes with leagues where it is not enough just to have a power of will and winning mentality . What Leicester did in this new cruel football environment is very amazing to me .. All credit Ranieri ..

Yes, they were. What's your point? Just because a team is no longer a giant doesn't mean their time at the top wasn't worthy.

Quality of football back then was evenly **** .. so a team like Nothigham could somehow match best of Europe after a year of good morning practice and healthy meals

You do realize that this was the era of Beckenbauer's Bayern, and Cruyff's Barcelona, right?

It is way more harder to win the top flight league these days not to mention any European Cup is even more .

How is that the case, if everyone was equally crap back then (which you seem to insist)? That doesn't make any sense. It's not any harder or easier to win a top-flight competition 'these days' at all; we just have a different landscape. Nottingham Forest came from, let me remind you, the Second Division, to winning back-to-back European Cups.

If you don't appreciate this achievement, then I don't know what to tell you.

Leicester's triumph was brilliant, but it wasn't game-changing or particularly filled with memorable, world-class football from them. They were solid, and had a tactical and team spirit which managed to somehow beat off every big team in the land. Of course that's a big achievement, but if you're talking about historical perspective, then really it's not as big of a deal.

Sorry.

• History

"Yes , the times when Red Star Belgrade was powerhouse .."

Yes, they were. Just because a team is no longer a giant doesn't mean their time at the top wasn't worthy.

Quality of football back then was evenly **** .. so a team like Nothigham could somehow match best of Europe after a year of good morning practice and healthy meals

You do realize that this was the era of Beckenbauer's Bayern, and Cruyff's Barcelona, right?

It is way more harder to win the top flight league these days not to mention any European Cup is even more .

How is that the case, if everyone was equally crap back then (which you seem to insist)? That doesn't make any sense. It's not any harder or easier to win a top-flight competition 'these days' at all; we just have a different landscape. Nottingham Forest came from, let me remind you, the Second Division, to winning back-to-back European Cups.

Leicester's triumph was brilliant, but it wasn't game-changing or particularly filled with memorable, world-class football from them. They were solid, and had a tactical and team spirit which managed to somehow beat off every big team in the land. Of course that's a big achievement, but if you're talking about historical perspective, then really it's not as big of a deal.

Sorry/

Yes, they were. What's your point? Just because a team is no longer a giant doesn't mean their time at the top wasn't worthy.

Sorry/

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

It's not any harder or easier to win a top-flight competition 'these days' at all; we just have a different landscape. Nottingham Forest came from, let me remind you, the Second Division, to winning back-to-back European Cups.

I disagree quite strongly with this. No, everyone was not equally poor, but the difference between elite teams and, say, second-division teams was nowhere near as high as it is now. I think it's also worth pointing out that Nottingham Forest was a VERY different side from Leicester. A better example would maybe be Manchester City, keeping mind that Forest bought players such as Trevor Francis for TWICE the amount of any other British player had even been bought for at the time (in today's world, with Raheem Sterling, the equivalent would be 100M stelring which would obviously be a world record).

As if you needed any more reason to suspect the quality of the time, to win their first European Cup, Forest beat Malmo. Yeah, Malmo. Because at the time, the difference between a team like Malmo and Bayern was so small that that was potentially possible. Hence the difference between Forest (who were spending big) and other elite teams of the day was hardly large at all.

Leicester is so remarkable because there was zero hint whatsoever that they were about to do what they did, and if this season is any evidence, people were justifiably correct to doubt their ability to stay up, let alone win. Forest dropped hints like the 1 mil they spend on Francis. If Bournemouth were tomorrow to spend 100M on someone, I'm pretty sure we'd notice.

For those reasons alone, Leicester's title run is unparalleled as far as I'm concerned.

Marcus2011 7 years ago

Red star giant hhahaa come mate , you have a sense of humor

Why do we always have to live in the past ? We as humans evolve and quality sport evolves . Athletes back then are not as good as athletes today due to many factors . I am not comparing them by talent . I am saying that with today training methods , modern diet regime , and team of experts modern athletes ( in this case footballers ) are much more efficient .

Yeah good times in the past but these days to win the league or European cup is big achievement especially for underdog with limited financial resources and with average team on paper . My opinion is that achievements of past before 90s is bull crap . When Money poured into EPL and football , things have changed and football has changed . Like sunflash said , they beat goddamn Malmo to win European cup .. come on now .. Do you honestly imagine Malmo reaching Final every again purely on developing academy talents ? Yes they may find new talents but can they hold on to them , do they have financial muscle to grow and keep the success going ? I don't think so unless some big investor invests in them .

Also , Who remembers achievement of Nothingham Forest ? I mean other than you and football fanatics on here . Leicester beating billion dollar clubs is something that will stay in millions fans mind for a very long time .. and my last point is that European format was a joke too : it took two - three rounds and final .. Gap between club like Chelsea and Leicester is huge not to mention giants like Real Madrid or Bayern .. for Leicester to compete and win titles , there has to be more than just a miracle . and Last year exactly that happened .

chelsea8 7 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

You can't sack your whole squad so the obvious choice was to sack the manager, horrible players and i hope that they get relegated.

netsten 7 years ago
Chelsea, Belgium 44 992

How not to laugh at this...

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Red star giant hhahaa come mate , you have a sense of humor
Why do we always have to live in the past ? We as humans evolve and quality sport evolves . Athletes back then are not as good as athletes today due to many factors . I am not comparing them by talent . I am saying that with today training methods , modern diet regime , and team of experts modern athletes ( in this case footballers ) are much more efficient .
Yeah good times in the past but these days to win the league or European cup is big achievement especially for underdog with limited financial resources and with average team on paper . My opinion is that achievements of past before 90s is bull crap . When Money poured into EPL and football , things have changed and football has changed .

Well you cheer for Chelsea, they were not a big club before Abramovich came along with his money so it's easy for you to laugh at other clubs that were once much successful in the past, Chelsea won the league somewhere in the 50's and then it took them a huge investment, that's no excuse of not being able to win before that.
Even though players are more physically superior now, many people around the world stil see Diego Maradona and/or Pele as the greatest players so football did change but it's a great game because we remember the past, there is the name of Nothingham Forest ingraved on the Champions League trophy forever, regardless if you remember or not they are a part of football history and their fans can be proud of their own team that once reached that glory.

Marcus2011 7 years ago

You guys go sensitive .That is my opinion . You take that Nothingham forest team and throw them into EPL , and Sunderland will have them for lunch or perhaps any top flight league . Level and speed of football has changed so much . I don't see how Chelsea of 50s can compare with Chelsea of 2000s or even 90s Chelsea .

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

. I don't see how Chelsea of 50s can compare with Chelsea of 2000s or even 90s Chelsea .

You don't need to compare them, just be happy your club had a top team in some of the years in the 50's too.

but the difference between elite teams and, say, second-division teams was nowhere near as high as it is now.

I want you to qualify that statement, because as it stands it is a claim forged by merely your opinion, which as you've admitted in the past is only about 8 years old in terms of footballing knowledge. I'm sincerely not trying to be mean, but can you appreciate how arrogant it sounds for, say a 20-year old to tell you that Star Wars: The Force Awakens was the best movie of all time, because it's the high watermark of their own (rather meager) observation? It deserves to be challenged, if only for that person's own enlightenment.

So tell me, how exactly are you going to measure the gap in quality between 1st and 2nd tiers from bygone ages, in order to sustain your claim?

keeping mind that Forest bought players such as Trevor Francis...

...AFTER winning the title. And your argument about his cost isn't relevant because even if we talk about the core of a team being in place, it's still true that the team's journey began in the 2nd division. It's not like Forest were rich at the time; they simply invested what they had won, so they could keep on winning.

Not unlike, say, how Leicester picked up half of their title-winning squad AFTER getting promoted to the Prem, and thus able to afford the wages of the players they did buy. The only difference is that Forest spent it all in one place, on one of the best players in the league/world, AFTER winning the league.

Maybe Leicester should have bought Ibrahimovic...

As if you needed any more reason to suspect the quality of the time, to win their first European Cup, Forest beat Malmo. Yeah, Malmo.

I say this a little tongue-in-cheek, but: fu.ck you and your arrogance. How dare you tell Malmo that they were not really a big deal? That their appearance in the final was indicative of football being sh.it instead of their own team being great?

You know who Ajax beat for their first European Cup? Panathinaikos.
You know who Bayern beat for their third? Saint-Etienne.
You know who Barcelona beat for their first? Sampdoria.
You know who Real Madrid beat for 4 of their first 5? Stade de Reims (x2), Fiorentina and Eintracht Frankfurt.

Does anything take away from those victories? No, it doesn't. And if your complaint is that the rest of Europe was relatively 'equal' in shitness, this actually doesn't matter because the format was different anyway -- it was not the modern system of 3 or 4 teams from each league entering. It was ONLY the league champions and the reigning European champions which made it, and it was ONLY knock-out, so actually it was even less forgiving than today's format where you have a group stage, and can get back again next year even if you don't win a single title.

That's one part of why Forest's feat was even more impressive, especially since they had to beat Liverpool, the reigning European champions, on the road to the final. In fact, every game they played was against the champion of another league.

Leicester is so remarkable because there was zero hint whatsoever that they were about to do what they did,

There was zero hint that Forest were going to do it either. Good grief, what do you think football was like? Do you think the world looked at Forest when they got promoted and thought: "ooh, those guys are going to be BIG..."? No, they didn't. It was completely out of the blue, and then when Forest won the 2 European Cups, it was clear that it was thanks to Clough's genius.

Just like Ranie... oh wait, Leicester are now fighting for relegation, and not very likely to win a European trophy.

And you guys still think Forest's achievement was lesser? LOL. C'mon. Switch your brain on.

If Bournemouth were tomorrow to spend 100M on someone, I'm pretty sure we'd notice.

Considering that Bournemouth would have to win the league first to make it an appropriate analogy, I think we'd notice a lot, lot sooner than that. ;)

Seriously mate, obviously I'm being blunt for internet effect in this post, but, I really think this is one area in which you should respect your elder, because really the only argument I've heard presented thus far is that Malmo sucked, and that Trevor Francis was expensive.

Nothing has been presented which persuades me that what Forest did was easier or somehow less impressive than Leicester's win.

• History

but the difference between elite teams and, say, second-division teams was nowhere near as high as it is now.

I want you to qualify that statement, because as it stands it is a claim forged by merely your opinion, which as you've admitted in the past is only about 8 years old in terms of footballing knowledge. Not trying to be mean, but that's kind of like having a 20-year old tell you that Star Wars: The Force Awakens was the best movie of all time, because it's the high watermark of their own (rather meager) observation.

So tell me, how exactly are you going to measure the gap in quality between 1st and 2nd tiers from bygone ages, in order to sustain your claim?

...AFTER winning the title. And your argument about his cost isn't relevant because even if we talk about the core of a team being in place, it's still true that the team's journey began in the 2nd division. It's not like Forest were rich at the time; they simply invested what they had won, so they could keep on winning.

Not unlike, say, how Leicester picked up half of their title-winning squad AFTER getting promoted to the Prem, and thus able to afford the wages of the players they did buy. The only difference is that Forest spent it all in one place, on one of the best players in the league/world.

As if you needed any more reason to suspect the quality of the time, to win their first European Cup, Forest beat Malmo. Yeah, Malmo.

I say this a little tongue-in-cheek, but: fuck you and your arrogance. How dare you tell Malmo that they were not really a big deal? That their appearance in the final was indicative of football being shit instead of their team being great?

You know who Real Madrid beat for 4 of their first 5? Stade de Reims (x2), Fiorentina and Eintracht Frankfurt.

Does anything take away from those victories? No, it doesn't. And if your complaint is that the rest of Europe was relatively 'equal' in shitness, this actually doesn't matter because the format was different anyway -- it was not the modern system of 3 or 4 teams from each league entering. It was ONLY the league champions and the reigning European champions which made it.

Which makes Forest's feat even more impressive.

Leicester is so remarkable because there was zero hint whatsoever that they were about to do what they did,

There was zero hint that Forest were going to do it either. Good grief, what do you think football was like? Do you think the world looked at Forest when they got promoted and thought: "ooh, those guys are going to be BIG..."? No, they didn't. It was completely out of the blue, and then when Forest won the 2 European Cups, it was clear that it was thanks to Clough's genius.

Just like Ranie... oh wait, Leicester are now fighting for relegation, and not very likely to win a European trophy.

And you still think Forest's achievement was lesser? LOL.

If Bournemouth were tomorrow to spend 100M on someone, I'm pretty sure we'd notice.

Considering that Bournemouth would have to win the league first to make it an appropriate analogy, I think we'd notice a lot, lot sooner than that. ;)

Seriously mate, obviously I'm being blunt for internet effect in this post, but, I really think this is one area in which you should respect your elders...

I want you to qualify that statement, because as it stands it is a claim forged by merely your opinion, which as you've admitted in the past is only about 8 years old in terms of footballing knowledge. Not trying to be mean, but that's kind of like having a 20-year old tell you that Star Wars: The Force Awakens was the best movie of all time, because it's the high watermark of their own (rather meager) observation.

Not unlike, say, how Leicester picked up half of their title-winning squad AFTER getting promoted to the Prem, and thus able to afford the wages of the players they did buy. The only difference is that Forest spent it all in one place, on one of the best players in the league/world.

I say this a little tongue-in-cheek, but: fu.ck you and your arrogance. How dare you tell Malmo that they were not really a big deal? That their appearance in the final was indicative of football being shit instead of their own team being great?

Does anything take away from those victories? No, it doesn't. And if your complaint is that the rest of Europe was relatively 'equal' in shitness, this actually doesn't matter because the format was different anyway -- it was not the modern system of 3 or 4 teams from each league entering. It was ONLY the league champions and the reigning European champions which made it.

And you still think Forest's achievement was lesser? LOL.

Seriously mate, obviously I'm being blunt for internet effect in this post, but, I really think this is one area in which you should respect your elders...

I say this a little tongue-in-cheek, but: fu.ck you and your arrogance. How dare you tell Malmo that they were not really a big deal? That their appearance in the final was indicative of football being shit instead of their own team being great?

And you guys still think Forest's achievement was lesser? LOL. C'mon. Switch your brain on.

I say this a little tongue-in-cheek, but: fu.ck you and your arrogance. How dare you tell Malmo that they were not really a big deal? That their appearance in the final was indicative of football being sh.it instead of their own team being great?

Lodatz 7 years ago

@Marcus:

Leicester beating billion dollar clubs is something that will stay in millions fans mind for a very long time .

You know what? I bet it doesn't. I bet it becomes a blip on the radar, precisely BECAUSE of the era we live within. The difference? Nottingham Forest CREATED an era.

There's no comparison, really, in terms of what was more memorable and more important to the history of the game.