Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Champions League 19/20
ArgjentD 4 years ago Edited
Juventus, Kosovo 6 155

Maybe it's still early, but who do you think will win UCL this season and why?!

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Maybe it's still early, but who do you think will win UCL this season and why?!

Comments
iHEARTfootball 4 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

I don't think there's any competition here. I actually think it's going to be a landslide in favour of Bayern. PSG did well to make it this far, but I also think that experience is still key to winning these competitions, let alone the final match. My prediction: 3-1 Bayern.

Emobot7 4 years ago Edited
538 11432

Welp, a bit dissapointed but Bayern deserved that in the end. The man of the match however for me was by far Manuel Neuer. He made so many good stop like it was nothing. Considering how hard last few years been on him, I think its fair to say he has returned to his best level.

Also, I think I said it to quikzyyy on my wall, but I really wasn't sure Kehrer was up for such an important game and oh boy was I right. Bayern goal came from the fact he was unable to contain Coman.

Ironical isn't it? The german player playing for the french team let the frenchman playing for the german team score the winning goal.

Edit: Also, I forgot to say it but despite saying that Bayern deserved it, I still think PSG can have lots of regret. Considering the chance they had, they should have scored one, not taking anything from Neuer though, he was all powerful in that game.

• History

Welp, a bit dissapointed but Bayern deserved that in the end. The man of the match however for me was by far Manuel Neuer. He made so many good stop like it was nothing. Considering how hard last year been on him, I think its fair to say he has returned to his best level.

Also, I think I said it to quikzyyy on my wall, but I really wasn't sure Kehrer was up for such an important game and oh boy was I right. Bayern goal came from the fact he was unable to contain Coman.

Welp, a bit dissapointed but Bayern deserved that in the end. The man of the match however for me was by far Manuel Neuer. He made so many good stop like it was nothing. Considering how hard last year been on him, I think its fair to say he has returned to his best level.

Ironical isn't it? The german player playing for the french team let the frenchman playing for the german team score the winning goal.

Welp, a bit dissapointed but Bayern deserved that in the end. The man of the match however for me was by far Manuel Neuer. He made so many good stop like it was nothing. Considering how hard last few years been on him, I think its fair to say he has returned to his best level.

Marcus2011 4 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

PSG only have themselves to blame. Even when in offside, one on one, they couldn't finish their chances..

SunFlash 4 years ago
USA 19 3260

@Emo

The goal was on Thiago Silva, not Keher. Silva steps up to make a challenge, which is fine, but he fails to win the ball AND fails to get back into position forcing Keher into a 2 v 1 where Lewa baits him for a step and gives Coman the space to finish. Sure, he could've played it better, but you should NEVER be stuck in that situation unless one of your other defenders really screws up, and Silva did.

I didn't realize how much I wanted PSG to lose until the second half when they started acting like little sh*ts. Neymar tricking the ref into giving Gnabry a yellow made me so angry I ceased to be neutral. Why's he such an unlikeable dick?

Emobot7 4 years ago Edited
538 11432

The goal was on Thiago Silva, not Keher. Silva steps up to make a challenge, which is fine, but he fails to win the ball AND fails to get back into position forcing Keher into a 2 v 1 where Lewa baits him for a step and gives Coman the space to finish. Sure, he could've played it better, but you should NEVER be stuck in that situation unless one of your other defenders really screws up, and Silva did.

You are actually completely right, I rewatched the action after posting my comment and realized it was Silva fault getting caught out not marking his man anymore and that Kerher was stuck trying to defend Lewandoski and Coman at the same time. My bad, sorry Kerher. XD

Neymar tricking the ref into giving Gnabry a yellow

Thx god, I thought I was going crazy when Gnabry got that yellow, I was like: What did he do? I didn't see anything! :U

PSG only have themselves to blame. Even when in offside, one on one, they couldn't finish their chances.

Lol, I know mate, Neuer was not having any of their nonsense. Feel like he won the mental game by himself. And yeah, their shot were pretty weak, like that had no confidence about finishing.

• History

You are actually completely right, I rewatched the action after posting my comment and realized it was Silva fault getting caught out not marking his man anymore and that Kerher was stuck trying to defend Lewandoski and Coman at the same time. My bad, sorry Kerher. XD

Neymar tricking the ref into giving Gnabry a yellow

Thx god, I thought I was going crazy when Gnabry got that yellow, I was like: What did he do? I didn't see anything! :U

PSG only have themselves to blame. Even when in offside, one on one, they couldn't finish their chances.

Lol, I know mate, Neuer was not having any of their nonsense. Feel like he won the mental game by himself.

DarthFooty 4 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1100

Silva read the cut back pass perfectly and stopped his run when Paredes slid for the ball. Now, here is where it gets tricky....

Silva did not track back into his spot because he was reading the side pass because Goretzka was open across the top of the box. The ball was not slotted but instead was nicely floated to the back post area.

If you pause it just before the kick is made, Kimpembe tries to step up to force an offsides, which would have worked if the ball stayed near side, AND he did not move to cover that now vacant center where Lewa was.

The move by Lewa was great as he drew the attention and opened up Coman, but if Kimpembe slide over and stepped, he would have "covered" Lewa visually, and Kehrer would have stayed a bit further out on Coman.

To put all the blame on Silva is wrong in my opinion. PSG has two center backs. One leaves the area, the other slides a bit to cover. It was a collection of bad timing and some positioning. Just my opinion, of course. :P

quikzyyy 4 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

glad for Bayern, they completely deserved it, surprised we have seen only one goal with all those chances. only thing which was pissing me off was Neymar & Di Maria crying, falling and jumping after every tackle.

_Pelle_ 4 years ago
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6885

PSG finishing has been terrible but the real cred goes to Neuer... it was so frustratimg to watch him make save after save. Hands down, really a legendary goalkeeper. And of course how typical isnt it that its a former PSG player that scores the winning goal.

I’ts not too bad though because PSG had big difficulties reaching beyond the QF before... so reaching a final is definitely a big step in the right direction, although losing it really sucks!

SunFlash 4 years ago Edited
USA 19 3260

@Darth

Your sequence of events is correct, but I have a different interpretation:

It isn't Silva's role, as a CB, to cover the top of the box in that situation. The primary threat is Lewandoski at that point, and Silva's meandering has left him open. An open Lewa at the 6 is more of a threat than Parades at the 18, which isn't Silva's responsibility anyway. Kimpembe needs to stay where he is to cover the near post run, he has to be in that space. That's why you have 2 CB's, but because Silva is gone, Keher has to step into that role, which is why Coman becomes wide open.

You can blame the other defenders for not making the right choice when outnumbered, but they could only cover so many theoretical possibilities because they were missing Silva. Long story short, when you step up as a CB and don't win the ball, the rest of your defense is vulnerable, outnumbered, and in a bad position. That's what happened here, and it was because of Silva.

I don't think any coach in the world would see it differently.

enter image description here
The players from top of the screen along the backline down are: Coman, Keher, Lewa, Silva, Kimpembe. Silva is trying to retreat to where he needs to be and just can't get there in time. He's not moving to close down the 18, he's retreating to the six. Keher at this exact moment is having a "oh fu*k Lewa is about to score" moment and trying to get goalside of him. We all know what happens next. Silva's immediate reaction after the goal is scored tells you he knows the goal on him.

• History

@Darth

It isn't Silva's role, as a CB, to cover the top of the box in that situation. The primary threat is Lewandoski at that point, and Silva's meandering has left him open. An open Lewa at the 6 is more of a threat than Parades at the 18, which isn't Silva's responsibility anyway. Kimpembe needs to stay where he is to cover the near post run, he has to be in that space. That's why you have 2 CB's, but because Silva is gone, Keher has to step into that role, which is why Coman becomes wide open.

You can blame the other defenders for not making the right choice when outnumbered, but they could only cover so many theoretical possibilities because they were missing Silva. Long story short, when you step up as a CB and don't win the ball, the rest of your defense is vulnerable, outnumbered, and in a bad position. That's what happened here, and it was because of Silva.

@Darth

enter image description here
The players from top of the screen along the backline down are: Coman, Keher, Lewa, Silva, Kimpembe. Silva is trying to retreat to where he needs to be and just can't get there in time. He's not moving to close down the 18, he's retreating to the six. His immediate reaction tells you he knows the goal on him.

Emobot7 4 years ago
538 11432

so reaching a final is definitely a big step in the right direction

Agreed, happy for you that you manage to see the positive in the situation even if it must be dissapointing to lose at this stage. Tbh, I thought PSG were pretty good, we haven't see a lot of team put that much pressure on Bayern and at the end of the day, Neuer and lack of clinical finishing for PSG made the difference.

@DarthFooty @Sunflash Interesting to see there is different way to interprate it. After rewatching it again, I personally agree Silva was the one most at fault there even though imo, the whole defense seemed disorganized and unable to coordinate adequatly. So I would argue that you are both right in manner of speaking even though I think Silva deserve the most of the blame among that defense.

We shouldn't forget that Kimmich pass was extremely good as well, this just made that much easier for Bayern.

DarthFooty 4 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1100

@Sunflash You nailed it! Both you and Emobot actually. I was reading more from a lead center back and not one partitioned. PSG breaks down the field with one center back covering the left dominant, the other the right. Once one leaves the area, it does expose that space more, so from your perspective, you are correct.

Not to take anything away from these players, but half the game is mental and reading things. Someone at this level should see the field and adjust. I still feel Kimpembe should have glided over a bit more center to become the true center back with Sliva leaving. Its very fluid and should have been practiced, because we all know players pop in and out of positions all the time.

On paper, you are 100% correct and it is Silvas fault. Even as a coach I can see it being a huge topic in the video room. Maybe I am harder on them than I should be, or not hard enough on Silva.

I was an attacking player more than defender in my heyday so there is that. haha

Emobot7 4 years ago
538 11432

Oh yeah! I forgot about something I wanted to share with you guys! This: enter image description here

You may not like Neymar and how he behave on the pitch at time, but there were no doubt that he was heartbroken over the results and I thought it was incredibly classy from Alaba and Flick to come and try to cheer him up. Especially Alaba who went to him before even celebrating with his team-mates. I had Olivier Kahn vibe from that. Massive respect to Alaba for this.