Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Best player in EPL history
tdot2barca 11 years ago
Assyriska FF, Brazil 35 956

I saw Vendetta's post about EPL legends and I came up with the idea to ask you guys who do you think is the best player in EPL history? & why?

For me Henry is the true Premier League KING.
I love him because of all the spectacular goals he's scored. His finishing, pace, physique, stamina, vision, etc was second to none except arguably the best player in history, Ronaldinho.

Comments
FredTilson 11 years ago
Manchester City, France 61 769

Dennis Bergkamp IMO.

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@tdot  What you say is purely opinionated. How can you say Ronaldinho was the best in history? Many would argue that Pele was the complete footballer, able to finish, pass, head, take set pieces, lead his team, etc. And in terms of success, Pele and Maradona both outshine Ronaldinho. Pele has won 3 World Cups, whereas Maradona took a mediocre Argentina team and led them single-handedly to World Cup success (albeit controversially). Ronaldinho was surrounded by world-class stars, Lionel Messi, Samuel Eto'o, Andres Iniesta, Xavi Hernandez, Theirry Henry. Even Lionel Messi outshines Ronaldinho at the tender age of 25.

When people want to call someone the "best" player in history, they have to realize that they're comparing that player with other players who played and excelled in different positions and in different environments. How do you compare Gabriel Batistuta with Ronald Koeman? They played contradicting positions. What about when you say that Johan Cruyff is the best in history? Can you really compare him to Lev Yashin?

That's why I believe that the best player in your eyes depends on your opinion of the game and the amount of exposure you receive from them. By your reckoning, I'm guessing you were a boy when watching Ronaldinho in his prime, so your age must be around 18-19. In my eyes, Zinedine Zidane was the best in history, although I would never mind if someone told be that Lionel Messi is the best, because in their eyes, Messi's game is more appealing than Zidane's. That's why it's best to not state that "Ronadinho is the best in history". It's much more respectful of other when you say, "In my OPINION, Ronaldinho was the best player in history".

And if you're asking me about the best player ever in the EPL, I'd say it's a tie between Alan Shearer, Thierry Henry, and Cristiano Ronaldo.

winecooler 11 years ago
Borussia Dortmund, Japan 14 186

Didier Drogba. 

Lodatz 11 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Paul Scholes or Ryan Giggs.

ramaboy10 11 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

@dynastian I hate to say this, but you have a problem pretty much every time ith someones posts...

Anyway, mine is Xavi, Ronaldinho Bergkamp

Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

There are 1/2 dozen that would make the shortlist but if we are talking in terms of pure talent and contribution it can only be Thierry Henry. I
 wish I wasn't an Arsenal fan so I can convince you that I am not being biased when I say that I believe that he was the greatest player I've ever watched in the premier league era. He was faster than probably anyone else at the time. His first touch was like the ball had a metal plate in it and he was wearing a magnetized boot.His football intelligence was second only to Dennis Bergkamp & Zola.  And last but not least, his finishing was so consistent and clinical that it made defeners shit in their pants as they knew a goal could come at any time, from any angle, and in any fashion. 

HE will not win the competition for being the most trophied player (that is Ryan Giggs), the player with the most charisma (Cantona, etc.), or the best at fancy tricks (Ronaldo) and he didn't have to  single-handedly lift inferior teammates (ala Le Tissier, Zola, etc.) but as a stand-alone talent it is my deep conviction that from when the league started in 1996 until now, there has been no one better.

Golden 11 years ago
35 693

@ramaboy: The question was related to the the EPL. Neither Xavi nor Ronaldinho played in England.

Regardless, I'll go with the classic one as to answer you, tdot; Cristiano Ronaldo, Thierry Henry and Ryan Giggs is the best players to have played in the EPL from my point of view.

20ROBINVANPERSIE 11 years ago
Manchester United, England 26 349

2 Words : Ryan Giggs

naman93 11 years ago
Real Madrid 82 859

Thierry Henry

Heisinburg 11 years ago
Manchester United 67 1516

Ryan Giggs, no doubt about it.

man_utd 11 years ago
Manchester United, South Korea 91 1444

It's hard to choose THE best of all time.

Here's my top 3 (No Order)
Alan Shearer
Ryan Giggs
Thierry Henry

AlexBatak 11 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

Gianfranco Zola for me :) 

tdot2barca 11 years ago

@Dynastian, so you're trying to tell me that Ronaldinho is not one of the best players who has ever touched a ball, even taking to consideration of players who have excelled in other positions?

Everyone who truly watches football knows that their belief on the best in history is PURELY opinionated. The truth is, there is no best ever. Many say Pele say is the best ever, however that could quickly be argued with Maradona. Many say Messi is the best ever, however that could also be argued with the likes of REAL Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zidane. There is no real answer.

They outshine Ronaldinho at the age of 25, but none of them outshine him during his prime.

I am 23, in my opinion I believe Ronaldinho is the best ever. He may not score as much as Messi, or won as many WC as Pele, but his game is the most appealing and whenever he touched the ball it was like magic.

However, I also don't mind when people say Zidane is (his ball control and class was second to no one). Or other players such as Messi, Ronaldo, Cruyff.

@ramaboy you're right. He couldn't even comment on what the thread actually asks. Such a baby.

naman93 11 years ago
Real Madrid 82 859

@Dynastian : He said "arguably" the best player in history ... he has a point here.

@tdot : Ronaldinho is one of my favorites along with Zidane and Casillas. As I haven't watched Pele or Maradona or anyone in the 80s or 90s  play .. so .................. m/ Ronaldinhooooo m/

Lodatz 11 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Don't forget this is a thread about best PL players, guys. ;)

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@tdot

Are you blind? I posted underneath that I think that Thierry Henry, Ronaldo, and Shearer are the best in the EPL to me. :P

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@tdot There is one way to prove who is the best ever. By the number of Ballon d'Ors. :P

But it's just such a shame that both Ronaldinho and Ronaldo El Fenomeno had their careers plagued by injuries in their prime. >.<

At least Messi and CR7 refuse to get injured.

ChelseaRox10 11 years ago
Chelsea, England U19 142 979

Goalkeeper: Peter Schmeichel
Defender: Tony Adams
Midfielder: Franky Lampard
Striker: Alan Shearer

tdot2barca 11 years ago

Yeah Dynastian I agree. Lets not jinx it :P

FootyIntellectual 11 years ago
Manchester United, England 0 77

Drogba is a bit overrated. KING THIERRY HENRY wipes the floor with him.