enter image description here

Buffon wins the goalkeeper of the year

Francis Kone wins the fair play award

XI OF THE YEAR

Lieke Martens wins Fifa women's player of the yearenter image description here

Cristiano Ronaldo wins FIFA player of the year award enter image description here

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

ada

Giroud wins the Puskas Award enter image description here

Zidane wins the coach of the year

Francis Kone wins the fair play award

XI OF THE YEAR

Comments
tuan_jinn 7 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

I do NOT agree on the part you say I hold different players to the same standard. I simply point out the argument that you made regarding Messi vs Mediocre team while Ronaldo vs big team. It's JUST for that.

I do not against the idea comparing between the 2 in 2017, because obviously we have different preferences, everyone has, but what matters.

I simply state: they both should not win, Modric or Kroos or Marcelo in Real should!

• History

I do NOT agree on the part you say I hold different players to the same standard. I simply point out the argument that you made regarding Messi vs Mediocre team while Ronaldo vs big team. It's JUST for that.

I do not against the idea between the 2 in 2017, because obviously we have different preference.

I simply state: they both should not win, Modric or Kroos or other player in Real shohuld!

I do not against the idea between the 2 in 2017, because obviously we have different preference.

I simply state: they both should not win, Modric or Kroos or Marcelo in Real should!

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11435

@Lodatz Could have been there ahead of Neymar and it wouldn't have bothered me but really, didn't Kane score something like 7 goal in the last two games of last season against teams in poor form? Not taking anything away from him, just that if you take those 2 games away, his record is a bit less impressive. However, like I said, even without those, I still wouldn't have minded seeing him there ahead of Neymar.

Lodatz 7 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

One of the teams was the reigning PL champions, in fairness.

Besides, how many hat-tricks have other players gotten against teams in 'poor form'? If Ronaldo has a good week, were his opponents just out of form?

Croatian 7 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

It's impossible to judge who is better. While Messi is (I think we all can agree on that) better footballer, Ronaldo is better athlete. Ronaldo's statistics in 2016/17 were almost equal to Messi with him missing good portion of games against lower teams from La Liga. His transition from winger to striker was fantastic, he just fits system so well with Benzema dropping deeper and Marcelo assisting on wing - that he literally only needs to be in box and score. He was their key, I doubt they would beat Bayern or Atletico with that dominance if they hadn't got Ronaldo.

Messi was fantastic but wasn't best in any moment of CL. And CL is most important. Despite his excellent Clasico, he failed against PSG, against Juventus.

No matter how good Kroos/Modric/Marcelo are, it's really hard to make in my mind that they deserved to be best in world after all. Modric had bad games, Kroos was average during start of second half, Marcelo was incosistent sometimes - but they all delivered in important moments - Marcelo vs Bayern, Kroos vs Atletico and Modric vs Juventus.

@Lodatz, honestly we are at point we might see Kane for very first time in world XI, he scores no matter in which shape is Tottenham and they are also looking good in CL. If they reach like quarterfinals or even semis with Kane being main man, he might even push out Lewandowski or Neymar out of that third spot.

DChoff 7 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, Italy 2 191

Were there any better forwards than Neymar last year? Not being funny but by all accounts it wasnt his best year. Its going to come across as biased due to the team I support but surely Kane had to be up there with a shout?

Pupper 7 years ago
Juventus 0 214

It's impossible to judge who is better.

It's really not. Just watch them both week in and week out, and you will immediately tell who's the better player.

Ronaldo's statistics in 2016/17 were almost equal to Messi.

Only when it comes down to Goals + Assists. Considering Messi have to drop down to the midfield every time Barca got the possesion, it's quite ironic he even scores more goals than the "greatest goalscorer of all time". He also tops Ronaldo in everyting else (dribbles, key passes etc.)

against Juventus.

And again people really believe it was Messi's fault for losing to Juventus. Just because he didn't get a goal nor an assist, he performed well. He should have had 2+ assists. Messi can't assist himself all the time.

No matter how good Kroos/Modric/Marcelo are, it's really hard to make in my mind that they deserved to be best in world after all. Modric had bad games, Kroos was average during start of second half, Marcelo was incosistent sometimes - but they all delivered in important moments - Marcelo vs Bayern, Kroos vs Atletico and Modric vs Juventus.

But easy to make it in your mind that Ronaldo deserved to be the best in the world, even though he was more inconsistent than all of them. Especially in the league. And I personally believe ballon d'or should cover more than 2 months of good performances.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11435

@Lodatz Leicester last season without Ranieri was not the same side who won PL and you know it, however, I do agree with your second point. I was just making the point than if Kane wouldn't have played those game for any sort of reason, injury or rotation (after all, lets not forget Chelsea already won the league by then, those two last game weren't really important), then that results would be different. It isn't though and that great for Kane. :)

Lodatz 7 years ago

@Emobot7:

I was just making the point than if Kane wouldn't have played those game for any sort of reason, injury or rotation (after all, lets not forget Chelsea already won the league by then, those two last game weren't really important), then that results would be different

Right, and I was just saying that you can find these reasons for anyone.

Lodatz 7 years ago

@Croatian: I hope so!

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Reputation plays a massive factor nowadays in FIFA. The player with the highest reputation wins.

With that being said, there is a reason for that reputation. For some players, they've fought for it, whether it's been months or years. You only have to look at Suarez as the perfect example, some players still know him as being a biter, even though the last time he did so was three years ago.

Ronaldo is the perfect example as the player who has won through sheer reputation, and the way he has gotten it is bang on perfect. A good contrast is Griezmann. You know as well as anyone else does that some football fans only really watch 'big' matches. Ronaldo's good matches has been the first game against Atleti, Bayern and Juventus. Those are the games that people have watched, alongside the el clasico matches. However, people tend to ignore the el clasicos more because it's not seen as dangerous loss. Anyway, Real's biggest game last season was against Juventus, where he scored 2 goals. He was highly praised after getting two goals.

Griezmann on the other hand put rather worldly performances two seasons ago in pretty much every game. However, in two big finals, he didn't perform the way he was expected to. He even missed a penalty in the UCL final. I can guarantee you that if he had won both trophies, he probably still would not had won the balon'dor, just because he isn't called Ronaldo or Messi.

Real Madrid won things through teamwork, not Ronaldo carrying the team behind his shoulders. Even if we are talking about nationalities, Messi may have the players, the chemistry is a complete joke. He's the only Argentina to score in over a year. He still carries their team, whereas Portugal beat a team consisting of the likes of Griezmann, Pogba, Koscienly without Ronaldo.

It's easy to give a player a reward because of a team. 4 of his teammates even made it into the team of the year ( should be 5 really, Dani Alves making it again shows reputation)

I may not have written this in a good way, but my point is, don't judge a player because of only big games and team success.

Croatian 7 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

@Pupper,

It's really not. Just watch them both week in and week out, and you will immediately tell who's the better player.

It's impossible to say to the base of point who was better. You have to into account amount of goals scored but also when scored, how scored and etc. You can't just say Messi had better year when he didn't win anything outside of Copa.

Only when it comes down to Goals + Assists. Considering Messi have to drop down to the midfield every time Barca got the possesion, it's quite ironic he even scores more goals than the "greatest goalscorer of all time". He also tops Ronaldo in everyting else (dribbles, key passes etc.)

Oh, this gets mentioned every fucking time in Messi vs Ronaldo debate, like Dynastian said Ronaldo and Messi have nearly identical ratio with Ronaldo missing a portion of La Liga games and starting some from the bench. If his job is to be finisher, then he is doing it right, I doubt he would be flop on winger or either CAM, or Messi's role or whatever you can think of. Messi is playmaker and goalscorer just because Barca doesn't have anyone who can do it as nearly as good as him.

And again people really believe it was Messi's fault for losing to Juventus. Just because he didn't get a goal nor an assist, he performed well. He should have had 2+ assists. Messi can't assist himself all the time.

It's quite ironic how you say that, Messi was below his average level and didn't even come close to assisting except for maybe that Iniesta chance, Neymar was one who was again most dangerous, against same team Ronaldo was better.

But easy to make it in your mind that Ronaldo deserved to be the best in the world, even though he was more inconsistent than all of them. Especially in the league. And I personally believe ballon d'or should cover more than 2 months of good performances.

Once again there is reason every team in world wants to play CL, because it is best football competition in the world. While Cristiano constantly delivers at that level and also scored so much goals in last three rounds, Messi didn't do anything special which is fault of him and whole Barcelona side.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11435

@Lodatz True. XD

tuan_jinn 7 years ago

@Croatian: I am with @Pupper here

Oh, this gets mentioned every *** time in Messi vs Ronaldo debate, like Dynastian said Ronaldo and Messi have nearly identical ratio with Ronaldo missing a portion of La Liga games and starting some from the bench. If his job is to be finisher, then he is doing it right, I doubt he would be flop on winger or either CAM, or Messi's role or whatever you can think of. Messi is playmaker and goalscorer just because Barca doesn't have anyone who can do it as nearly as good as him.

This statement is exactly what all the debates is about, no-one denies Ronaldo is a machine when its come to scoring and poaching, he has adapted his games. That's absolutely perfect! But being voted as the best player for as a perfect poacher is somewhat unjustified. A poacher means the team brings him chances and he finished it. Although, he deserves to be among top 3 or 4, purely for all the important goals in the last crucial 2 months. Mind you that it's a whole year.

And let's not assume like he does his job perfectly. He did missed a lot of sisters and wasted chances, so does Messi.

I agree about the precious of CL. that's why he's in top 4 despite all other statistics.

Marcus2011 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Tuan I think it was 2012 when Ronaldo didn't win it and Messi won it. In 2011 Argument was that Messi won titles with the team ( yes he did) and in 2012 was that Messi scored a lot. See the bias there? Therefore this year Ronaldo deserves it and personally not just because he won throphies.

Marcus2011 7 years ago

FIFA messed up the merits of the best player. Not sure if it was corruption or fixed It doesn't matter. What matters is that people were ok when Messi won Dor because FIFA was flip flopping merits. ( also if you still believe that journalists decide who wins Dor then you are living in La La land).

@Marcus: There are years that Messi didn't deserve. ABSOLUTELY. The year Snijder should have won aws the worst along side with the year Ronaldo handed an extended period and the play-off games.

That's why I said these awards become popularity contest nowadays. which is sad.

I can't wait for a day the world has a different system of calculation and evaluation next to voting so defender, goalies and mid can have as much chances as Scorers.

• History

@Marcus: There are years that Messi didn't deserve. ABSOLUTELY. The year Snijder should have won aws the worst along side with the year Ronaldo handed an extended period and the play-off games.

That's why I said these awards become popularity contest nowadays. which is sad.

I can't wait for a day the world has a different system of calculation and evaluation next to voting so defender, goalies and mid can have as much chances as Scorers

I can't wait for a day the world has a different system of calculation and evaluation next to voting so defender, goalies and mid can have as much chances as Scorers.

PS: btw, people wasn't OK when Messi won, dont paint it that way. There are as much people screaming about how unfair that was as NOW.

@Marcus: Who said that? people wasn't OK when Messi won, I dont think you should paint it that way. There are as much people screaming about how unfair that was as NOW.

Agree about Fifa or all the big organizations ruined these awards. Or maybe us fans DO that too. Look at all of the MOTM voting everywhere including FR... As long as Messi or Ronaldo dont suck, they would be among top 2 voted. it is just the way it is

• History

@Marcus: Who said that? people wasn't OK when Messi won, I dont think you should paint it that way. There are as much people screaming about how unfair that was as NOW.

Agree about Fifa or all the big organizations ruined these awards

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I may not have written this in a good way, but my point is, don't judge a player because of only big games and team success.

Ironically, those are the two biggest factors for judging a player.

Marcus2011 7 years ago

I am not trying to convince you otherwise because I agree with you. However, reality is that merits of Best Player are obscure. There is no clear definition and FIFA toys with it when they see it fit. For the last 5-6 years it was Team Success, Goals+assists, and Big games performance. I don't like pure quantative analysis of a player because I believe mixture with qualitive should be applied hence there are many factors that can make a player the best in the world. FIFA needs to sort this out and then we are going to have not just strikers but goalkeepers and defenders being equal candidates for the award.