Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Anyone living in Belgium?
Emrecan_58 5 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

Hi guys, how are you all doing?
I wanted you to know that I have been accepted to a MSc program in Brussels and will move there in July-August.
Turkey is in an economic crisis at the moment and with the regression of the country and the depreciation of its currency (1Euro=6,3Liras atm and expected to be more than 7 or 8 after the elections next week),I will need help during my stay in Belgium. I am not talking about financial help though. Just someone to help me with all the city stuff like accommodation, transportation, jobs etc. I am going to need to find a job there to not starve lol.

So I was wondering if any of you lives in Brussels or anywhere in Belgium?

I will also stay a month in France(near Strasbourg) during August. Can possibly visit Barcelona and Amsterdam also.
So let me know if you're going to be around :)

Comments
Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

I might be wrong, but I believe Eden17 is actually from Belgium. Anyway, congrats on being able to move, its a great news for you. Hope you will like Belgium.

tiki_taka 5 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Belgium is 6hours far from my City, I reckon Netsten probably From Belgium but he doesn’t look active lately.

SunFlash 5 years ago
USA 19 3260

Oh damn dude, I am going to be at KU Leuven from September-February on exchange. I won't be in a position to help you out financially or anything though, I'll be pretty stretched myself as the Canadian dollar has tanked a bit itself.

Out of curiosity, are you there on a student visa? My understanding was that you couldn't work in Belgium on just a student visa, but I could be wrong.

tiki_taka 5 years ago

He can work, but a part time job.
If it’s same like France, and I think it is. He can work 18 hours a week.

iHEARTfootball 5 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

All the best with your time in France mate. I obviously can't help you as I'm on the opposite side of the world so I hope this will suffice.

Emrecan_58 5 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

@Emobot Thanks man, I hope he sees this thread or maybe I should leave a mssg on his wall.

@tiki_taka Where do you live exactly?

@SunFlash Wow great coincidence. No need for any help bro, we'll hang out. I'll let you know when I go there. ;) Where will you stay by the way did you arrange anything? And yes I will be on a student visa (should be long term D type I suppose) They allow like 18-20 hours like tiki said. But doesn't matter where I work to be honest. I might even work for deliveroo or sth like that. I will also apply for the jobs like part time software engineering and stuff if I can find one. Normally I am working as a software engineer in Delphi Technologies right now.
I got too many job offers from Turkey lately, some of them being the best engineering positions in Turkey. But you know how I feel about the country. Getting out of it was my biggest dream in all these years. I'll of course have hard times while making my dream come true.

@iHEARTfootball Thanks for your good wishes man. Hope to meet you all someday :)

I also got an invitation from Carinthia University of Applied Sciences in Austria. The Villach city is amazing and living there is cheaper, but I will be choosing Brussels because of the university. After my masters I am planning to go to Scandinavian countries and spend my life there, hopefully.

tiki_taka 5 years ago

@emre I live in Le Mans, you are welcome anytime bro.
And don’t worry, for having some Turkish friends born here, your community help each other a lot. And in Brussels there are many Doners and markets owned by Turkish people, don’t worry you won’t be alone unless you go to a small city...

SunFlash 5 years ago
USA 19 3260

Haven't arranged anything yet living wise as I'm still in the Visa application process and I've been instructed to not look for accommodations until then, but it will be probably in the student residence at Leuven.

Ledley 5 years ago
Celtic, Australia 46 1310

My understanding was that you couldn't work in Belgium on just a student visa, but I could be wrong.

Cash in hand is your best friend to get round that.

Eden17Hazard17 5 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

Sorry Emre, I'm not from Belgium :)

@Emobot, I think I did have Belgium as my fav national team for some time so maybe that's where you got it from, but no I've never even been to Belgium :P

tuan_jinn 5 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Brussels is a great city. A bit messier than it used to be (similar to Paris) but still awesome, I have lots of clients there.

In Brussels, finding a part-time job as a student should not be any problem. I would suggest you to go for that and have lots of experiences.

Be smart about accommodation in those big cities (Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris etc...) LOTS OF SCAMMERs. Amsterdam and Paris are ridiculously expensive, and Brussels is next. Enroll yourself in those facebook groups (International Students, Expats... those are very helpful).

In those city, 2nd sites are super useful (like Marktplaat in the Netherlands, not sure about Belgium), but you can find stuffs easily.

BEst of luck guys!!!!

@Sun: Leuven is beautifulllll!!!!

liomessi10 5 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

wait isn't eden17 from New Zealand?

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

@Eden17 Oh, sorry mate, my bad! I mistaken you with another Chelsea fan who talked to me about Belgium fry.

tiki_taka 5 years ago

Agreed Tuan on what you said, Paris is ridiculously expensive, but Brussels isnt cheap eaither. best thing to do is to find a student building. then and i think its like France the country helps you in the cost of the room. APL " Aide pour le Logement " when i was student 70% of my rent was paid by the country. because i had a student job, if you dont work its 50%. Dont know if Turkey is part of ERASMUS ( Europpen student programms because then you can find direclty a room in the university )

Eden17Hazard17 5 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

@Emre, @Emo,

maybe @netsten

Emrecan_58 5 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

@tiki_taka I'll pay you a visit if I have time then. And interesting about the help of the country. I've never heard of it, if there's one in Belgium I'll definitely go for it. Turkey is a part of Erasmus yeah.

@SunFlash Same here man, visa procedures take much time. Leuven is very close to my campus. Let me know when you start to find accommodation.

@tuan_jinn thanks bro. Where were you in Netherlands by the way?

netsten 5 years ago
Chelsea, Belgium 44 992

Hi mate, I live in Belgium, but not in Brussels, i'm in Namur atm, and I'll probably move in the south of belgium in august.
If you have any question don't hesitate.

tiki_taka 5 years ago

@emre That would be nice bro.
@Netsten glad to see you arround bro

netsten 5 years ago
Chelsea, Belgium 44 992

@Tiki cheers bro, I'm still around, almost everyday to watch the reviews, but mostly quiet on the forum ;)

Emrecan_58 5 years ago Edited
Besiktas 149 3375

So, after the latest elections, Euro is now 6.6 Liras. For the first time, Erdoğan lost an election in the most important cities including İstanbul and Ankara, it was the local elections though but still very important. He's been refusing to give the opposition the win in İstanbul therefore it triggered the Eur/Try index. If he tries to do re-elections in İstanbul, it will blow up.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

So, after the latest elections, Euro is now 6.6 Liras. For the first time, Erdoğan lost an election in the most important cities including İstanbul and Ankara, it was the local elections though but still very important. He's been refusing to give the opposition the win in İstanbul therefore it triggered the Eur/Try index. If he tries to do re-elections in İstanbul, it will blow up.

By the way, guess who winned in my hometown city? Communist Party of Turkey lol.