Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Your biggest suprise of the season?
Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11435

Let share what we think are the greatest suprise of the season. The stuff we did not imagine would happen.

Ligue 1 being so competitive
Never saw Monaco and Nice sucess this season. Never expected PSG to strugle so much at first without Zlatan and Blanc either. Seriously, I did not expect to see Ligue 1 become a three horse race. Pretty happy about it and did not expect Monaco in particular were seriously impressive this season.

English team position right now
Was expecting a bit better from United, Arsenal and Liverpool to be fair. Liverpool and Arsenal collapsed recently while United had a hard beggining of the season, still, it seem the later are back on track and if they can get point against other rival, they might manage a top four finish. But above that, I did expect Chelsea would lead the league at this point by nearly 10 point. Antonio Conte genius made a team who had previously fallen from grace not only a top contender once, he literaly transformed the team onto one full of winner. Chelsea will never cease to suprise me. It was also great to see the revival of player like Hazard, Costa and Pedro, who have done so much better this season.

Antonio
Not really worth a mention by itself, you might say but still, in my opinion, this guy saved West Ham first half of the season.

La Liga
I must say I was very suprised to see Atletico and Barca lose point at the beggining of the season while RM went on to have a nearly unbeaten run. Truly incredible and I must say as a neutral fan who like Barca a bit more than Real that I'm quite happy with the results. What I mean by that is that I'm looking foward to have another La Liga champion than Barcelona this year. Sevilla is also suprisingly still in course to finish third, something I did not expect at all.

Eredivisie
Feyenoord might actually win it this year, as a neutral fan I'm hyped!

CL
The CL had it parts of suprise as well, results we did not expect have happened, like Real drawing against Legia and finishing second of their group. Barca 4-0 defeat against PSG was also a shock results.

Leipzig, Dortmund and Bayern
Leipzig having such good results despite being a promoted side was quite suprising. Borussia Dortmund tendency to win by huge margin and then lose or draw against sometime weaker team was also suprising and a bit annoying. Bayern had decent results as well but they were not as impressive as we first expected as well despite having such a great coach in Anceloti.

I know those story are kind of old news now, but I wanted to see share my greatest surprise of the season, seeing if you guys agreed with me and what was the stuff that suprised you the most this season. Thanks in advance for sharing lads. ;)

Comments
Emrecan_58 7 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

Will only consider your topics for now

Ligue 1 being so competitive
Nice have been a surprise indeed. But they will be out of the race by 5 weeks I believe. It's still one of the biggest surprises this year that they carried things this far. After week 32-33, Monaco and PSG will be the competitors. And the Monaco winner. Expecting no surprise there.
English team position right now
The surprise in England for me would be the teams being poor. Except Chelsea and Tottenham, teams have been performing below expectations. Chelsea is also a surprise, expected them to perform well but the way them being adapted with the manager is impressive. Their form have been beyond expectations.
Antonio
I disagree.
La Liga
Don't see much of a surprise. But yes, Sevilla have been amazing.
Eredivisie
Feyenoord's start to season have been surprisingly well. Biggest contender for the Championship.
CL
It's a wide topic. Not to consider just yet.
Leipzig, Dortmund and Bayern
Leipzig. They are probably the biggest surprise of the season. Just spectacular.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Two things I didn't expect:

Leipzig's success and Monaco's free-scoring habit - largely due to the fact that I don't actually watch the Bundesliga anymore, and have never consistently watched Ligue 1.

_Gonzi_ 7 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

LA LIga
valencia poor performance. with the names they brought in, thought they'd be doing a bit better. But i agree sevilla hasn't been a "surprise", but i'm glad they are seriously competing under sampaoli.

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Monaco is a surprise : After selling Kondogbia, Carrasco and important players i didnt expect them to collapse, but to be even stronger with cheap signings and youngsters, Porto and BVB should be proud.

Valencia is rulled by an idiot, nothing surprising but Las Palmas... one of the best football in Europe, beautiful.
Leicester to be out of top 4, not surprising but to keep their players and collapse, bad surprise. rip last year passion.

Leipzig And Nice are half surprises, perfect start but the fairytale ended after winter break, sign of overachieving wich forces respect teams that manage to play at 120% of their potential.

Barcelona loss of identity, midlefield collapsed and team relies on MSN and the back four.

Ronaldo's form.

saatvik10 7 years ago
Manchester United, India 27 540

I didn't expect Atletico Madrid to be in such poor form in La Liga, and they'll probably lose both Simeone and Griezmann in the near future, so I shudder to think what will happen to them.

Leipzig's success is also extraordinary, and it looks like they won't be winning the title, but getting in to the UCL after being promoted is a great achievment. And they've done it all by exclusively using young players.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Assuming Barca don't win 5-0 against PSG, them going out in the first knockout round to PSG of all teams is probably not something many expected, least of all myself. I didn't even consider them contenders regarding the final, but I did not expect this.

decentK 7 years ago
Arsenal 38 2896

I think Dynastian summed it up with Leipzig & Monaco

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11435

Yeah, Valencia were already doing poorly before and they didn't really bring that many talented player in my opinion (most of the big name they brought were struggling at their own club anyway) so it wasn't that much of a suprise for me. I still think its too bad, for its a good team with quite the reputation, sad to see them being so poor right now. :(

Also, can't help but remark the Serie A haven't really been suprising this year. Its still all about Juventus, with Napoli and Roma right behind them. You could say its suprising to see Atalanta just behind those three though. With a bit of luck, those guys might just taste champion league next year. :D

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Surely Atalanta. I think they've lost 5 out of their opening 6 games, and now they are very high in the table. Also, if anyone wants to know more, Atalanta is basically the Serie A version of Dortmund, Southampton... Where they promote a lot of youthful players like Kessié, Caldara. Although the latter does play for Juventus, it's still something nice to see.

Feyenoord to me isn't surprising. Van Bronckhorst is the man after all :)

Croatian 7 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

There are big suprises in every league right now, no doubt. Even here in Croatia Dinamo Zagreb isn't first, after they won title 10 years in a row ;) For me, I really didn't expect Sevilla to be SO GOOD. I know they're class team and so on, but it feels like every player transformed there. I hated Mariano for years, now he is amongst best RBs in the league. And other examples. N'Zonzi and Iborra - amazing midfield.

My call would be whole Bundesliga. No one expected it to be so competitive. First 6 - Bayern, Leipzig, Dortmund, Hoffenheim, Hertha and Eintracht. If I had to predict at start of season, I'd say: Bayern, Dortmund, Bayer, M'gladbach, Schalke and Koln. Also probably best talents are having much more playtime in Bundesliga than in, for example, PL or La Liga.

OnceABlueAlwaysABlue 7 years ago
Chelsea, England 5 211

Tammy Abrahams success in the Championship has been on the of the biggest surprises for me. Knew he was good but never expected him to score so many in his first loan season.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11435

@OnceABlue 18 goal and 2 assist in about 30 games is pretty good indeed, seeing how high the level of the championship, pherhap he has the potential to become a deluxe joker for Chelsea in the future. Never even heard of him before, looking good to be fair. :D

OnceABlueAlwaysABlue 7 years ago
Chelsea, England 5 211

@Emo Yes and seeing as we still have a lot of the season to go he has a chance at becoming the Championship top scorer. Very unfortunate to be out with and injury at the moment though.

Marcus2011 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

I am surprised that people are surprised that Leicester is not doing well this year ..

decentK 7 years ago
Arsenal 38 2896

^With players that they have? Players like Simpson, Huth & Albrighton are championship level players and Vardy is a one shot wonder, scored only those counter attacking goals, which are now easy to stop now that teams know how Leicester play. I'd say Mahrez being a flop is a surprise, although he probably didn't even want to stay in Leicester.

quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Liepzig definitely, sadly their fairytale kinda ended after that cough surprising loss cough, against Ingolstadt.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11435

@decentK Well, I feel they aren't so bad, they are doing better right now but still, I get what you mean. I feel they really put their priority at the wrong place though, why go for Slimani and Musa who are both striker when you could have gotten a top quality defender to help player like Huth and Morgan get some rest...

Emobot7 7 years ago Edited
538 11435

Antonio Valencia
Totaly forgot about him, he has been superb for Manchester United in my opinion, working hard and running all the time for the team. Deserved a shout! :D Would love to know if MU fan agree with me on that one.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Antonio Valencia
Totaly forgot about him, he has been superb for Manchester United in my opinion, working hard and running all the time for the team. Deserved a shout! :D

Wolfie 7 years ago
Inter, Germany 94 1844

FDB.. What a rollercoaster. Expected us to finish 10th. Pioli has done great to unsink the ship.

I'd like to see him here next season. Can't comment on other leagues as I don't follow.. Just watch highlights of big games and read articles.

In a BuLi, RB Leipzig ruffling feathers.

Ligue 1 Monaco and Nice.. Great to see more competition.

PL - How much Pep struggled with City. Leicester decline.

LA Liga - Honestly have not been paying any attention to it. Weird.

Yeah, I don't watch much football anymore. Supporting Inter has taken it's toll on my heart! lol

Emobot7 7 years ago Edited
538 11435

@Wolfie You got my sympathy lad, last years must have been pretty hard for you. Hope thing get better and you get something to look foward soon! ;)

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Wolfie You got my sympathy lad, last year must have been pretty hard for you. Hope thing get better and you get something to look foward soon! ;)