Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

World Anti-Doping Agency Critical of Football... Says Need Reform
Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

According to ESPN:

"World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) president John Fahey has said football is not doing enough to test for the use of banned substances.

Performance-enhancing drugs like EPO have been attracting intense media attention in recent months in the wake of the cycling scandal and, more recently, the revelations of widespread use in a number of Australian sports.

There have also been indications of use in football. Former Real Sociedad president Inaki Badiola claimed the club had made use of Eufemiano Fuentes, the doctor currently on trial for doping charges in Spain, while there have been claims from cyclists that the game is far from clean.

In the 2011-12 season, UEFA tested more than 2,200 players across its tournaments - including Euro 2012, the Champions League and Europa League - while the English FA carried out 1,278 tests last year and FIFA conducted 662 urine tests, with 95 of those testing for EPO.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger recently said he had asked UEFA to consider blood testing to help identify any problems, and Fahey stressed that more must be done.

"I simply say this about football - they are not testing enough for EPO," he said. "They could do more and we encourage them to do more.

"While testing is a good deterrent factor and may be an effective way of catching people, I would argue that we now know that the athletes' biological passport [an electronic dossier showing results of doping tests] is a very effective tool. Why isn't football using it? They can. In my view, it would make them more effective."

WADA director general David Howman agrees that football must improve its approach to the matter, citing the strides forward made by Major League Baseball.

Howman said: "You have got to start with a quality programme. Football can then stand up and say: 'We don't have a problem because we have checked for it properly and fully.'

"Each player on a Major League Baseball team will be tested at least four times a year. Now ask whether any Premier League team has every player in the squad tested four times a year. I think we all know what the answer is. This initiative by MLB ought to be taken up by others."

Howman also said some athletes were travelling to remote areas where their drug use would not be monitored.

"They go offshore to train in countries where they feel they cannot be located and tested," he added. "We have to shut that down as much as we can."

Comments
Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

Another Interesting Bit of Information:

Former Tour de France champion Oscar Pereiro who went on to play in the Spanish 2nd division said the following:

"‘There was a player who had transfusions to improve their performance and is idolised today,’ 
"There was a player who used a growth hormone and is idolised today. If we give the same treatment to cyclists and to those in other sports, one is doped up to their eyeballs and the other is someone who works for their club."
"It's not about defending cycling and throwing shit at other sports, but I wish you [the media] would five the same treatment to other sports when you recognize the same things"

raimondo90 11 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Football is not as pure as it had seemed I guess.. Major issues that need to be fixed.

Lodatz 11 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Yes, but the player mentioned for use of the growth hormone is Lionel Messi, who would never have been able to reach his normal muscle-weight for his size, without it, because of a disease.

A little perspective, folks.

Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

@lodatz: How do you know he was referring to Messi?

Lodatz 11 years ago

Because I know Messi's story. 

http://espnfc.com/news/story/\_/id/1307220/former-cyclist-oscar-pereiro-accuses-footballers-of-drug-use?cc=5901

It mentions that he's talking about some of the 'world's most recognized players', and that the growth hormone players is 'idolized' today. I'm simply putting the pieces together. Messi was given growth hormone injections in his legs (he had to do to this himself every night for years -- imagine how that felt) just to build up the proper body/muscle weight for his size, or else he would never have even been given a chance to play.

I've heard some comments about how that itself is 'not fair', and Pereira appears to be pointing it out, too.

Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

lodatz: you are being too presumptuous. everyone knows about Messi's situation and he wouldnt have been cryptic avout it. There are others that take HGH as a means of bulking up (eg goalkeepers, DM, slight forwards).ps: anyone who cobsiders messis situation as unfair or cheating is an idiot

Lodatz 11 years ago

Or, he could be full of crap, and is trying to up the price of his 'story'. I don't think he was being that cryptic -- who else are we going to be talking about, that is one of the world's most recognized players, and is idolized worldwide, and also happens to have had growth hormone injections?

I think he's just trying to cash in on gossip. 

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Well Messi's story is basically he had growth hormone deficiency. That means that he COULDN'T hit his growth spurt, and he would forever remain the size of a 9-year-old. It's not "unfair" to give Messi growth hormones because without that we would've never seen history's best player actually PLAY, and it would be a massive waste of talent. Also, Messi is still ridiculously short. And if you're complaining about how that helps him dribble because of his short center of gravity, Maradona was a further 2 inches shorter than Lionel. ;)